Author Topic: 10 Years Since Emerica's Stay Gold  (Read 7671 times)

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
Re: 10 Years Since Emerica's Stay Gold
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2020, 11:46:37 AM »
This came out right after my wedding and I remember watching it on our honeymoon from the business center in our Italian hotel. I really wish I didn't see Reynolds' part for the first time on such a shitty computer. It's one of my all time favorites.

pbj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2020, 11:53:23 AM »
Expand Quote
going to stick my head over the parapet to say i really hate the song for reynolds part
[close]

He was supposed to skate to the Animal Collective song Dill skated to in Mindfield. How sick would that have been?

didn't he want to skate to Mercy Seat as well but Dollin used that in the Volcom Aus video??

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2020, 12:00:50 PM »
I remember looking forward to this video all of high school and it came out right when I was leaving to start college. It was a real special and uncertain time in life, and for that alone this video holds quite a special place to me. (but also, because it's a really really good video.)

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2020, 12:49:29 PM »
Still gold

Kolostrum

• Rep: 21
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2020, 12:50:43 PM »
Shameful that I'm the first person to mention Jaime Tancowny. You guys do realize he had an amazing part, possibly the highlight of his career, and thats saying a mouthful.

Marquis preston's part was mindblowing and that dude had a really unique style. Really thought he was gonna blow up after that part.

yapple dapple

• Rep: 155
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2020, 01:12:42 PM »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk6mLWyen-w
This part holds up in a timeless fashion.
I went to DLX 2nd day it came out. They sold the last copy 20 minutes before hand. I proceeded to take the 71 bus up Haight and went to FTC. They were sold out as well. However, it was playing on the screen. I ask about buying the shop copy. After dude asked Ando, they said sure.
I got the booklet and DVD at a discount at like $12 since it been opened. Thanks forever FTC!

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »
You got a source on those Reynolds rumors re: the Mercy Seat and Into the Flowers? Really interesting stuff.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What really happened to Marquis Preston? Why he didn't make it?
[close]

he skipped out on filming missions to play Call of Duty. Apparently he was world ranked as top 20 in the world and was making money from it too. That's one of the reasons i heard
[close]

That is a side of the story I've never heard before. I heard he had some mental health and team-meshing (mental health getting in the way of it) issues
Didn't Sinclair say on here that Marquise got really into guns?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2020, 01:23:38 PM »
I remember looking forward to this video all of high school and it came out right when I was leaving to start college. It was a real special and uncertain time in life, and for that alone this video holds quite a special place to me. (but also, because it's a really really good video.)
Same. When I started in like 2004ish the small rumors from the small scene I had was that they were working on a video, and then I remember seeing an Austin Stephans ad where he's backsmithing a ledge and (at the time) that blew my mind, and when it came out I still hoped for an Austin part. Video dropped right when I was prepping for college and my friends had stopped skating.

I honestly don't think there's a single bad part. I enjoyed Preston, Tancowny, and Spanky even if they weren't the "best" parts

DirtyBurger

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »
Amazing video, still watch it. The B-sides were just as memorable too.

Also secret Heath Kirchart part? Heck yea!

Hombreezy

« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2020, 01:43:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

he skipped out on filming missions to play Call of Duty. Apparently he was world ranked as top 20 in the world and was making money from it too. That's one of the reasons i heard
[close]

That is a side of the story I've never heard before. I heard he had some mental health and team-meshing (mental health getting in the way of it) issues
More like meshing teams in Call of Duty

Kolostrum

• Rep: 21
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
You got a source on those Reynolds rumors re: the Mercy Seat and Into the Flowers? Really interesting stuff.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Didn't Sinclair say on here that Marquise got really into guns?
Yeah, and another team member said people started kinda freaking out when he started bringing guns on skate trips and playing with them at spots. Also heard on here that he had some gnarly warrants and had to dip out for a while.

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2020, 03:55:02 PM »
Still think Reynolds should have got SOTY over Romero that year / the guy was robbed. Sure Romero slid a few up-rails, but Drew was at an age most dudes would be doing pivot fakies on 2 foot high banks as an ender but throwing down as hard as he did in his teens.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2020, 04:12:51 PM »
Preston was well ahead of his time, just like Jimmy with the hardflips
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2020, 06:04:27 PM »
the lack of Herman footy sice then is lamentable

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2020, 06:18:59 PM »
Wow time flies. I went to the Melbourne premiere.

This vid was probably when Westgate really came to the forefront of being one of the biggest skaters of that era.

Reynolds and Herman really shut shit down. Love both of those parts to this day
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2020, 06:19:06 PM »
damn, i havent put much thought into it. cant believe its been 10 years. i just looked over and realized i have the book on my tv stand.

andrew reynolds part was so epic, it was sort of like he closed out the "stairs" era and started a new/equally amazing or better career as he got older, reminding us all how you could keep it going by going back to the lower impact stuff.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2020, 06:32:05 PM »
Well, it’s got the greatest skater of all time Reynolds hitting his peak, Heath Kircharts last part, B herm picnic table part. I would say it holds up well. 

Coffee

• Rep: 36
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2020, 07:11:07 PM »
I had been out of the loop on skating for a few years at this point and I honestly don’t think I’ve even seen the whole video since I got back into skating around 2013ish but Reynolds part is in my top 3 all time. I still watch it regularly.

michael scarn

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2020, 07:13:05 PM »
Amazing video, still watch it. The B-sides were just as memorable too.

Also secret Heath Kirchart part? Heck yea!

The secret Heath part!!! That joy division song did it for me! I'll have to put this on before I go skate next time

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2020, 09:44:33 PM »
I think I've watched Stay Gold more times than any other video. It holds a special place in my heart because it came out around a year after I started skateboarding, but it shaped my taste in skate videos and appreciation for all kinds of styles of skateboarding.

Intro - par for the course Jon Miner time lapse footage, but it works quite well with the night time theme and Dead Meadow song.

Westgate - this is how you start a video. Fast as fuck, Brandon ripping through everything and popping uber high. I couldn't tell you how many times I would haul ass to that song down the hills around my house.

Herman - The picnic table section was always fun to watch and still is. Lots of groundbreaking tricks. His hammers section is well done to Fairies Wear Boots.

Marquis - A beautiful edit to a guy with a good bag of tricks and smooth style.

Spanky - I didn't realize back then that this was one of Spanky's bad parts, but I appreciated a few of the lines and tricks that stood out compared to those where he looked shaky.

Provost - His tranny section was always fun to watch with the old camera. I'm still mixed on it because Collin's not that interesting to me, but he had a solid part.

Tancowny - Favorite style with his trick selection. Has one of the best kickflips and heelflips and a buck-ass handrail skater. My only problem was that the song just didn't quite fit the part.

Suski - I'm not big on his song either but he had a solid part with a creative spot selection that you didn't see with a bunch of the other guys.

Braydon - His edit was good, but his kits and trick selection can be offensive. I love his 180 5-0 on the Wilshire rail and varial heel down the triple set but his part was too short.

Figgy - As gnarly as he is, it was pretty much just gaps and rails. Fun fact, he didn't skate a single ledge in his part.

Jerry - His part wore on me over time and it's cool he did his whole part nollie and switch, but I skip the whole bail section after seeing it so many times.

Leo - besides Reynolds, the best edit of the video. The highs and lows with the song are worked in very well and end with that 5050 up the rail.

Reynolds - I don't think I need to say any more. It's almost universally loved.

versacekid420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1129
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2020, 09:58:53 PM »
grew up on this and mindfield. still my top 2 favorite videos of all time, just can’t make my mind up as to which is #1.

Glurmpz

« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2020, 10:19:51 PM »
Fuck, how could I forget to praise Herman's table section?! Doesn't get more G Code than that. Imagine being able to do shit on/over tables that casually? When I saw that part for the first time it instantly became my favorite Herman footage and still is.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2020, 10:35:20 PM »
Marc Johnson skated to not one, not two, but THREE songs. And he wasn't even in Stay Gold! That, to me, speaks volumes. Did you know he was drunk the entire time too? Crazy.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2020, 12:19:13 AM »
Suskis part was trash, I never understood how that dude was even on emerica or any shoe company for that matter

ricky bobby

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2020, 01:05:40 AM »
I was in 7th grade when this video came out and it was one of the first i'd ever watched. Reynold's part was the first time I felt emotionally moved by a skate part. Video will always hold up for me

Powdered Toast Man!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • (aka mex.ceferino)
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2020, 02:01:55 AM »
I remember looking forward to this video all of high school and it came out right when I was leaving to start college. It was a real special and uncertain time in life, and for that alone [b]this video holds quite a special place to me. (but also, because it's a really really good video.)[/b]
I met my best friend in our teens through skating the og city hall spot. We clicked right away nerding on skating and vids, mags music and girls, partying etc. he even put a word for me to work at our local skateshop and got to work together and shoot the shit. Huge Emerica fan, he had boxes of shoes and merch and even had an account back when emerica had that kinda myspace forum thing. After going to a couple premieres, stay gold was on our #1 mission since they announced a new vid in the works. All we knew about it was “coming summer 2010”  from the ads and He was beyond hyped to meet all of his favorites to the point he annoyed me lol
A freak accident happened, one that i could’ve been in, and he passed away at 20. What’s crazy is, emerica posted the official premiere date with the countdown a day after his body was foind.
it was an intense roadtrip from mex to la and the event an emotional rollercoaster to say the least. As much as i enjoyed being around all the big industry names, seeing dead meadow and earthless rip and making the best out of the night with my couple of friends, the whole time i had a knot in my throat and held up those tears. I was happy, then i was pissed at him for missing out, then i was sad, over and over.
All it took me to start shedding tears was seeing leo’s name (his fave) and i finally broke down pretty hard with reynolds’ kickflip as the crowd exploded.
I bought the dvd but it took me some months to see the video again because it was heavy. That december i got accepted into college as well, closing a chapter and about to start a new one.
So yeah, stay gold is pretty special to me too

I just want everyone to know that I'm only 32.8% skateboarder, and that's on a good day. The rest is just soy and cum.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2020, 03:37:22 AM »

Westgate - this is how you start a video. Fast as fuck, Brandon ripping through everything and popping uber high. I couldn't tell youu how many times I would haul ass to that song down the hills around my house.

That song and Salazars Dinosaur Jr - Almost Ready song from mindfield we’re my bombing hills song
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2020, 05:54:26 AM »
Shameful that I'm the first person to mention Jaime Tancowny. You guys do realize he had an amazing part, possibly the highlight of his career, and thats saying a mouthful.

Marquis preston's part was mindblowing and that dude had a really unique style. Really thought he was gonna blow up after that part.

He had the last part in the Zero video less than a year prior skating to the James Gang. This was kind of a middle filler part skating to generic biddle.

That boy sure fell off the face of the earth after that.

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2020, 06:06:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He had the last part in the Zero video less than a year prior skating to the James Gang. This was kind of a middle filler part skating to generic biddle.

That boy sure fell off the face of the earth after that.

Fell of the earth and landed on LE b
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

witty pseudonym

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2020, 06:14:51 AM »
Suskis part was trash, I never understood how that dude was even on emerica or any shoe company for that matter

This opinion is wrong, his part was great.