Author Topic: 10 Years Since Emerica's Stay Gold  (Read 7672 times)

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
Re: 10 Years Since Emerica's Stay Gold
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2020, 06:14:57 AM »
Expand Quote
I remember looking forward to this video all of high school and it came out right when I was leaving to start college. It was a real special and uncertain time in life, and for that alone [b]this video holds quite a special place to me. (but also, because it's a really really good video.)[/b]
[close]
I met my best friend in our teens through skating the og city hall spot. We clicked right away nerding on skating and vids, mags music and girls, partying etc. he even put a word for me to work at our local skateshop and got to work together and shoot the shit. Huge Emerica fan, he had boxes of shoes and merch and even had an account back when emerica had that kinda myspace forum thing. After going to a couple premieres, stay gold was on our #1 mission since they announced a new vid in the works. All we knew about it was “coming summer 2010”  from the ads and He was beyond hyped to meet all of his favorites to the point he annoyed me lol
A freak accident happened, one that i could’ve been in, and he passed away at 20. What’s crazy is, emerica posted the official premiere date with the countdown a day after his body was foind.
it was an intense roadtrip from mex to la and the event an emotional rollercoaster to say the least. As much as i enjoyed being around all the big industry names, seeing dead meadow and earthless rip and making the best out of the night with my couple of friends, the whole time i had a knot in my throat and held up those tears. I was happy, then i was pissed at him for missing out, then i was sad, over and over.
All it took me to start shedding tears was seeing leo’s name (his fave) and i finally broke down pretty hard with reynolds’ kickflip as the crowd exploded.
I bought the dvd but it took me some months to see the video again because it was heavy. That december i got accepted into college as well, closing a chapter and about to start a new one.
So yeah, stay gold is pretty special to me too

Damn, that's a heavy story. I'm sorry about your friend. I have a couple bands/albums that I have a similar relationship to due to friends who have passed. On one hand it's sorta beautiful to have something tangible to attach (good) memories to,  but it's still hard to revisit them no matter how much time passes.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2020, 06:27:32 AM »
Holds up perfectly, in my opinion. Reynolds part is played at least once a week before i skate still.
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2020, 06:32:43 AM »
still holds.
Herman's part goes hard.
Anything else down that reynolds (davis?) gap is a wash because kickflip stands strong with the editing and feeling.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2020, 07:53:51 AM »
This is Skateboarding is watched more in my household. Stay Gold gets some play, but not nearly as much.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2020, 08:43:36 AM »
This is Skateboarding is watched more in my household. Stay Gold gets some play, but not nearly as much.

Yeah, I have much more of a connection to TIS. I am 31 and I think I just missed the window on Stay Gold for being in the time where videos really affect you.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Little Debbie

« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2020, 08:54:07 AM »
same. I started skating in 2000 so TIS (and Menikmati) were the holy grail. the real formative videos for me that set the tone for what skating is and could be. i was looking forward to SG for years and was super hyped to see it, but it didn't have that effect on me like TIS.

were there any easter eggs/secret montages in the SG dvd like there was for TIS?

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2020, 10:26:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
same. I started skating in 2000 so TIS (and Menikmati) were the holy grail. the real formative videos for me that set the tone for what skating is and could be. i was looking forward to SG for years and was super hyped to see it, but it didn't have that effect on me like TIS.

were there any easter eggs/secret montages in the SG dvd like there was for TIS?

Barrier Kult part, and Heaths retirement part are Easter eggs I think that’s it.
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

newpcwhodis

• Rep: -1
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2020, 12:45:46 PM »
First premier I ever went to and still probably the best one even though none of the team was there (SF premier)

I remember thinking Leo should have been the last part at the time but now I see how sick Reynolds being the last part is

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2020, 01:25:13 PM »
Herman's table lines are great, and Leo's part is enjoyable, but to me the only parts that I ever return to regularly are Westgate and Reynolds, obviously.

I could be like you folks above, maybe it didn't resonate with me when it came out due to my age at the time, but I do remember moving on from the rest of the video relatively quickly in 2010.

Jerrys Kid

• Rep: 56
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2020, 02:06:17 PM »
It's pretty crazy how Stay Gold ended up being more rewatchable 10 years after the fact than Fully Flared in my opinion.

As a bonus, we aren't reading articles 10 years after the fact about how miserable everyone was filming Stay Gold and how it soured them on the brand in general.

EDIT: I suppose you could argue for Heath and Jerry, but that seemed more of an issue of age and injuries than filmer pressure.

Junglist

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2020, 02:12:38 PM »
It's pretty crazy how Stay Gold ended up being more rewatchable 10 years after the fact than Fully Flared in my opinion.

As a bonus, we aren't reading articles 10 years after the fact about how miserable everyone was filming Stay Gold and how it soured them on the brand in general.

EDIT: I suppose you could argue for Heath and Jerry, but that seemed more of an issue of age and injuries than filmer pressure.

That’s because Miner is the shit and Evans got too carried away with the image he was trying to force skateboarding to be.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2020, 02:25:11 PM »
I would say neither Fully Flared or Stay Gold are THAT rewatchable because they're so long and have more redundancy with skate styles than you would want from a shoe vid. Fully Flared's influence definitely lingered more, but Stay Gold gave far less PTSD.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:37:39 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2020, 03:57:16 PM »
It's crazy how outdated Fully Flared seemed so soon after its release, considering how groundbreaking and influential it was at the time.

Stay Gold still stands up today and I don't think there's been many videos to beat it since IMO
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Telly

• Rep: -150
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2020, 04:45:12 PM »
Its only been one pandemic though

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2020, 08:17:52 PM »
I would say neither Fully Flared or Stay Gold are THAT rewatchable because they're so long and have more redundancy with skate styles than you would want from a shoe vid. Fully Flared's influence definitely lingered more, but Stay Gold gave far less PTSD.

I rewatch Stay Gold still all the time. But definitely This is Skateboarding had way more of a influence on me because I was young and a skate rat when it came out.

Also Fully Flared is just completely unwatchable for me from start to finish. It’s just entirely to long. Instead I’ll just watch individual parts from it

nocomply900

• Rep: 2
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2020, 08:31:06 PM »
Best part about it was probably the old Heath graphics, but correct me if I’m wrong.

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2020, 08:57:29 AM »
Expand Quote
The full body orgasm I would experience from seeing Dead Meadow live, followed by an emerica video with Dead Meadow songs, would crush my soul.
[close]

I saw them live once. They were pretty good. Might be the loudest show I've ever been to.

I first heard Dead Meadow through Stay Gold. Saw them live in Brooklyn two years ago and it was so fucking sick. Super small show with Mad Alchemist Liquid Light show along with it.

Stay Gold is pretty much the definitive video for me, still rewatch parts all the time. The premiere in Tampa at The Bricks in Ybor was second to none. Free beer, rowdy crowd, everyone hyped on every part and standing ovation for Reynolds' part. What a moment in time.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2020, 09:47:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The full body orgasm I would experience from seeing Dead Meadow live, followed by an emerica video with Dead Meadow songs, would crush my soul.
[close]

I saw them live once. They were pretty good. Might be the loudest show I've ever been to.
[close]

I first heard Dead Meadow through Stay Gold. Saw them live in Brooklyn two years ago and it was so fucking sick. Super small show with Mad Alchemist Liquid Light show along with it.

Stay Gold is pretty much the definitive video for me, still rewatch parts all the time. The premiere in Tampa at The Bricks in Ybor was second to none. Free beer, rowdy crowd, everyone hyped on every part and standing ovation for Reynolds' part. What a moment in time.

I'm bummed I never had the chance to make it to a big premiere like that. Sounds like it was an amazing time. Now we're in the age of less full lengths with mostly digital video drops and now covid so I guess I'll never get to experience the premiere hype.

Trilogy

• Rep: -230
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2020, 11:06:43 AM »
I am a 90´s skateboarder but Stay Gold holds a special place in my heart.

Both B. Herman parts where ver ver cool\good and Reynolds part is nothing less than EPIC, definitely one of the best parts ever!

CLASSIC skate video in my book.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 646
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2020, 11:56:20 AM »
Stay Gold came out my first year in high school, so needless to say, it was a very influential video for me at a very formative stage in my life. My local shop at the time, which closed down a year or two later, had a huge premier in their parking lot where all of the skaters in the area showed up to. I'd been skating for less than a year at that time, and probably couldn't even kickflip yet. I was a wide eyed kid stoked to be hanging out with our town's skate scene and seeing my favorite pros on the big screen. Everything about that experience blew me away and I bought a copy of the DVD on the spot that I would end up rewatching almost every single day after getting home from high school. And by rewatching it, I mean that I was starting it from Heath's part almost every single time and watching the whole damn hour long video. I had maybe two or three friends at the time, so it was also a rough transitional patch in my teen years.

Stay Gold got me even more excited on skating than I already was at the time. I learned kickflips while wearing a pair of Hsus not long after that. Joy Division became my favorite band because of Heath's part. I still have that DVD somewhere and it's still my favorite skate video to this day.

decaf

• Rep: -20
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2020, 02:26:01 PM »
Quite possibly the last timeless vid that comes to mind.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2020, 02:38:27 PM »
and still holding up.

Biggiemouths

• Rep: -43
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2020, 02:43:39 PM »
I used to peep the 2 page ad shown in Miners insta post every single Saturday prior to going out to party...... I was spanky one saturday, then romero the next one...... such great times

Meekin

• Rep: 5
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2020, 02:54:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What really happened to Marquis Preston? Why he didn't make it?
[close]

he skipped out on filming missions to play Call of Duty. Apparently he was world ranked as top 20 in the world and was making money from it too. That's one of the reasons i heard
[close]

That is a side of the story I've never heard before. I heard he had some mental health and team-meshing (mental health getting in the way of it) issues
^^ this is what has been posted here over and over. Never heard the cod side.
There was an interview with TK, when he was a plumber. He got asked if he gets recognized on the job and his response was "No. Plumbin in disguise." Everyone on SLAP thought he said "put him in the sky"

Glurmpz

« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2020, 03:10:20 PM »
Can't remember if I posted this in here, but we rolled up to the Blocks in downtown Tucson one day while visiting, and the majority of the Emerica team showed up at the same time. It was the day Reynolds did the line with the backside flip. When we saw they were there we decided to leave to give them their space, even though there were already at least 20 local kids lurking... but before we left I quickly went and said hi to Suski since I knew he lived in the area and I wanted to find some ditches to skate. He turned out to be the nicest dude ever and that was the start of a great friendship.

But anyway, we went and skated a ditch, came back, and Reynolds was just about to start trying his line, so we joined the now even larger group of local kids to watch. He did the line 3rd try but fell victim to the same exposure change issue that happened when he kickflipped it years ago, so he had to re-do it and the second one took over 30 tries. I filmed both and several years after Stay Gold came out I used them in a video I made along with Suski clips I filmed.

Here it is...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2fgPVAFUmh/

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2020, 06:00:35 PM »
Can't remember if I posted this in here, but we rolled up to the Blocks in downtown Tucson one day while visiting, and the majority of the Emerica team showed up at the same time. It was the day Reynolds did the line with the backside flip. When we saw they were there we decided to leave to give them their space, even though there were already at least 20 local kids lurking... but before we left I quickly went and said hi to Suski since I knew he lived in the area and I wanted to find some ditches to skate. He turned out to be the nicest dude ever and that was the start of a great friendship.

But anyway, we went and skated a ditch, came back, and Reynolds was just about to start trying his line, so we joined the now even larger group of local kids to watch. He did the line 3rd try but fell victim to the same exposure change issue that happened when he kickflipped it years ago, so he had to re-do it and the second one took over 30 tries. I filmed both and several years after Stay Gold came out I used them in a video I made along with Suski clips I filmed.

Here it is...

That's a fucking epic story and photo, dude. Has that green filter Emerica-like feel.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2020, 07:57:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Here it is...

[close]

That's a fucking epic story and photo, dude. Has that green filter Emerica-like feel.

Crazy seeing how fucked up his back is in the second clip compared to the first make
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2020, 09:00:58 PM »
On the horizon we have have a couple of modern classics reaching their 20 year mark:
Sorry
Yeah Right
Hot Chocolate
Sight Unseen - really psyched to see what they do with this, of the line up only DD is still skating hard with the rest retiring or fading into obscurity

It will be interesting to see how the community views these videos 20 years on. Hell; 10 years feels like a short time ago, 20 years seems like a more fitting time for a retrospective.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2020, 10:27:58 PM »
leo romero could drop his part today and still get soty his last 5 tricks or whatever on that double kink rail are burned into my brain

Reynolds part > Romero's.. Drew got robbed on SOTY.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2020, 10:39:09 PM »
On the horizon we have have a couple of modern classics reaching their 20 year mark:
Sorry
Yeah Right
Hot Chocolate
Sight Unseen - really psyched to see what they do with this, of the line up only DD is still skating hard with the rest retiring or fading into obscurity

It will be interesting to see how the community views these videos 20 years on. Hell; 10 years feels like a short time ago, 20 years seems like a more fitting time for a retrospective.

Menikmati is 20 this year. Crazy to think I've more or less been skating 2/3 of my life
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps