Author Topic: 10 Years Since Emerica's Stay Gold  (Read 7675 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: 10 Years Since Emerica's Stay Gold
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2020, 11:27:13 PM »
Expand Quote
On the horizon we have have a couple of modern classics reaching their 20 year mark:
Sorry
Yeah Right
Hot Chocolate
Sight Unseen - really psyched to see what they do with this, of the line up only DD is still skating hard with the rest retiring or fading into obscurity

It will be interesting to see how the community views these videos 20 years on. Hell; 10 years feels like a short time ago, 20 years seems like a more fitting time for a retrospective.
[close]

Menikmati is 20 this year. Crazy to think I've more or less been skating 2/3 of my life

Quite a shame since eS is a shell of it's former self. Then again so is Flip and Crailtap.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

HugeBodBoyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2020, 04:36:50 AM »
I paid american dollars for this video when it came out and I was firmly entrenched in BMX at the time.

BrockSamson

• Rep: 3
« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2020, 05:47:05 AM »
Expand Quote
going to stick my head over the parapet to say i really hate the song for reynolds part
[close]

He was supposed to skate to the Animal Collective song Dill skated to in Mindfield. How sick would that have been?

less sick I think.

Idk, I like that animal collective song probably more so than the Edward Sharpe song but Dill skipped the whole intro part(as he should have, probably) and just got right to the peak>end. Which is fine for a 2.5 minute part.

Reynolds' is  5+ minutes and earns that fuck you every famous spot ever/crescendo so hard.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2020, 02:36:17 AM »
I've watched Stay Gold in items entirety once at most but watched the accompanying Andrew Reynolds Madness clip more times than I can recall. I don't blame him for sticking to low impact skating after seeing the stuff he hucked himself down.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Grind King Rims

« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2020, 05:55:35 AM »
Best part about it was probably the old Heath graphics, but correct me if I’m wrong.

Those were actually factory records graphics.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2020, 05:56:40 AM »
It's no TIS but still very good. I remember I wasn't into all the stoner rock and people grinding up rails (what a trendy move in retrospect) but that Reynolds part slaps. I go back to that, the Heath part, and sometimes Marquis Preston (Shame he fell off). Miner's editing for the Emerica videos was always something special. I'm a sucker for those green tinted timelapses.

It was trendy, but to be fair it was definitely Leo Romero (and then shortly after additions from Westgate) who started the trend, so I don't think it's fair to criticize the video for being trendy (not that you were).

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2020, 12:14:54 PM »
Expand Quote
It's no TIS but still very good. I remember I wasn't into all the stoner rock and people grinding up rails (what a trendy move in retrospect) but that Reynolds part slaps. I go back to that, the Heath part, and sometimes Marquis Preston (Shame he fell off). Miner's editing for the Emerica videos was always something special. I'm a sucker for those green tinted timelapses.
[close]

It was trendy, but to be fair it was definitely Leo Romero (and then shortly after additions from Westgate) who started the trend, so I don't think it's fair to criticize the video for being trendy (not that you were).
Let's split some hairs here. Leo started going up shit after he saw Brandon Westgate grind up blubba, which was in the Zoo York video the previous year. Of course, both of them had parts in Stay Gold, so this is all for naught.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

edward shay

• Rep: -14
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2020, 02:41:42 PM »
leo romero could drop his part today and still get soty his last 5 tricks or whatever on that double kink rail are burned into my brain

Getty

• Rep: 48
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2020, 02:57:32 PM »
Seeing this for the 1st time at the SF premiere still stands out as a life highlight. The energy was so high in that place. Afterwards me & the dudes I went with went out & skated like madmen all around SF, we were so hyped. Good times.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2020, 04:11:33 PM »
Always wondered why Heath’s part separate?
That photo/clip is sooo dope.
Great video and definitely my favorite Reynolds part.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -454
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2020, 04:16:02 PM »
Holds a special part in my heart, considering I was 19 and just getting back into skating after a rough first year at college. It was also the last (or one of the last) videos where a lot of my idols from childhood were in their primes.

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

TheFandangler

• Rep: 14
« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2020, 12:23:31 AM »
Expand Quote
leo romero could drop his part today and still get soty his last 5 tricks or whatever on that double kink rail are burned into my brain
[close]

Reynolds part > Romero's.. Drew got robbed on SOTY.

Leo had a ridiculous year though. He dropped that Brainwash part too and had an ad in nearly every mag that year. You could tell Leo was gonna get it.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2020, 10:28:32 AM »
Just watched this and mindfield to see which is better. Mindfield had amazing stuff but a few parts dragged it down (dyrdek, Berra, horsey taylor). No sleeping in stay gold. So stay gold and mosaic are tied for all time best video.

Trilogy

• Rep: -231
« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2020, 01:24:48 PM »
So stay gold and mosaic are tied for all time best video.

What about Trilogy, Mouse and Sorry?

hateboard

• Rep: -277
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2020, 01:30:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Reynolds part > Romero's.. Drew got robbed on SOTY.
[close]

Leo had a ridiculous year though. He dropped that Brainwash part too and had an ad in nearly every mag that year. You could tell Leo was gonna get it.

Reynolds had the same number of thrasher covers that year as Romero, and they were better tricks also. What he achieved at such a late stage in his life may never be replicated again, especially the big gap hucking. Most the late life hammer dogs stick to rails to keep the knee impact as low as possible. They should have given him his 2 times Soty to put him up with Cole. Romero did exactly what I expected him to do, pulled a Janoski and rode his 15 minutes of fame into the sunset. End of the day tho who cares, its some random opinion by a mag that tries so hard to be hard it comes off being cliche. If they had any sense of legitimacy theyd have given it to Nojah for his Fade to Black year. To never have him as SOTY is a failure, and shows how much they suck the core opinions cocks.

Chookilara

• Rep: -20
« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2020, 06:14:27 PM »
emerica has hands down the worst and ugliest shoes, SUCK IT!!!

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2020, 07:40:05 AM »
All this guy's posts are like this if anyone's wondering. Hit that ignore button
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

WPG

• Rep: -8
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2020, 08:34:37 AM »
All this guy's posts are like this if anyone's wondering. Hit that ignore button
Thanks for the heads up
Muska, Chillin Chillin
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson flight decks

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2020, 09:33:54 AM »
I bought it off iTunes. I was pissed that Heath's retirement part wasn't included, because it played at the premiere and sounded like it was just part of the video. I emailed asking about it, was told it was just a bonus on the DVD, and wrote another email back bitching about that fact. I'm sure they had a good laugh at my expense. I don't know if I was desensitized or what, but the biggest thing that stuck out to me was how high Reynolds popped that backside heelflip down that big four in I think France or wherever, the one he also bs 360s. The grinding up rails thing annoyed me. Watching it now, even as a straight male, I still like the more fitted 'fits of the day compared to now. We hadn't quite gotten to the slim shoes yet, or maybe it was at the beginning of that.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2020, 09:39:56 AM »
awful pants, great skating.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2020, 10:19:56 AM »
Expand Quote
So stay gold and mosaic are tied for all time best video.
[close]

What about Trilogy, Mouse and Sorry?

Those videos are amazing