Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 69658 times)

Kevve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 6
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #240 on: January 23, 2021, 05:51:28 AM »
Just got the 9" KELZ and 9" Shin Memory Palace decks delivered.
Have some new Ace 55s and I am gonna swap out some 52s I have for 54s. Not sure which brand yet. I like to support small/local brands when I can. Maybe SML since theyre literally here.

How are the polar 9s as a so it all board? I like full shapes & medium/ mellow kicks but im not able to try One before buying.

I cant decide between a 9" polar or 8.75 AH classic eagle.

professor pound cake

• Rep: 3
« Reply #241 on: January 23, 2021, 11:13:39 AM »
does polar make a "twin tail" or symmetrical deck?

sharom

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #242 on: January 23, 2021, 08:38:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Have some new Ace 55s and I am gonna swap out some 52s I have for 54s. Not sure which brand yet. I like to support small/local brands when I can. Maybe SML since theyre literally here.
[close]

How are the polar 9s as a so it all board? I like full shapes & medium/ mellow kicks but im not able to try One before buying.

A couple of sites have good info, the Polar site has a really good view of the board too, front, back and concave.

POLAR - BENGT ALV PROBABILITY STUDIES 9.0" SKATEBOARD DECK

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

https://polarskateco.com/collections/9-0/products/klez-kidney-for-sale-2-0-black
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #243 on: January 23, 2021, 08:42:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

A couple of sites have good info, the Polar site has a really good view of the board too, front, back and concave.

POLAR - BENGT ALV PROBABILITY STUDIES 9.0" SKATEBOARD DECK

WIDTH
LENGTH
WHEEL BASE

https://polarskateco.com/collections/9-0/products/klez-kidney-for-sale-2-0-black

I posted that board set up twice in the 9”+ thread. Once with ace 55 and the other 6.1.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #244 on: January 24, 2021, 04:09:55 AM »

I don't recall seeing one, but as far as I recall these brands do / did / releasing in the future - Real, Krooked, Deathwish, Heroin, Clutch woodshop, a few other smaller brands, maybe in the woodshop thread.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: January 24, 2021, 04:12:27 AM »
I posted that board set up twice in the 9”+ thread. Once with ace 55 and the other 6.1.

That's why I went looking for it, but couldn't find any still in stock.

Looks pretty good and a nice wheelbase for a big rider too, easier than the orange eagle / other 15" wheelbases.

Pjscore

• Rep: 2
« Reply #246 on: January 24, 2021, 05:14:29 AM »
Looking at picking up a 91 or 92 in the near future. Does 169s suit one of these shapes better than the other?

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #247 on: January 24, 2021, 05:36:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looks pretty good and a nice wheelbase for a big rider too, easier than the orange eagle / other 15" wheelbases.

yeah agree completely, way more manageable. Flips well, good size nose, full shape. Not too steep. I don’t know how guys ride ace on them though, maybe with risers and 60mm wheels to get pop leverage or could be I’m doing something wrong.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:40:28 PM by jay_nev »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1277
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #248 on: January 24, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »
Looking at picking up a 91 or 92 in the near future. Does 169s suit one of these shapes better than the other?
We talk a lot about the Polar big boys in this thread:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.0

General consensus is 159/55s but they both work with 169s too. The real difference aside from the shape is that the 91s wheelbase is a little longer
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #249 on: January 24, 2021, 12:29:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah agree completely, way more manageable. Flips well, good size Jose, full shape. Not too steep. I don’t know how guys ride ace on them though, maybe with risers and 60mm wheels to get pop leverage or could be I’m doing something wrong.

I agree with this, I havent ridden the Polar 9 but i do have the 8.6 on 55s and it is a pretty big feeling board and I just cannot get leverage to make it leave the ground. Running 55 wheels too

Slugboi22

• Rep: 62
« Reply #250 on: January 24, 2021, 02:53:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah agree completely, way more manageable. Flips well, good size Jose, full shape. Not too steep. I don’t know how guys ride ace on them though, maybe with risers and 60mm wheels to get pop leverage or could be I’m doing something wrong.
[close]

I agree with this, I havent ridden the Polar 9 but i do have the 8.6 on 55s and it is a pretty big feeling board and I just cannot get leverage to make it leave the ground. Running 55 wheels too
8.6 polar with 44s and 53 conical fulls was one of my favorite setups ever. that 8.6 shape is almost perfect for me

Pjscore

• Rep: 2
« Reply #251 on: January 24, 2021, 11:44:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
We talk a lot about the Polar big boys in this thread:
https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=97297.0

General consensus is 159/55s but they both work with 169s too. The real difference aside from the shape is that the 91s wheelbase is a little longer

Cheers, thanks for the advice!

chat noir

• Rep: 1
« Reply #252 on: January 26, 2021, 05:22:32 PM »
The dane1 shape is godly. I'm sure you all know, but I have never felt so comfortable on a board. Feels like home.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #253 on: January 26, 2021, 06:38:57 PM »
The dane1 shape is godly. I'm sure you all know, but I have never felt so comfortable on a board. Feels like home.
I recently set one up as a cruiser w/ ace 55s and Keyframe 56mm, it’s a lot of fun ... but I feel like I may be doing it a disservice if I don’t get some regular wheels on it eventually

Frank and Fred

« Reply #254 on: January 26, 2021, 08:07:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I recently set one up as a cruiser w/ ace 55s and Keyframe 56mm, it’s a lot of fun ... but I feel like I may be doing it a disservice if I don’t get some regular wheels on it eventually

I set up a dane as cruiser initially and thought the same. So I set it up with some 151s and some worn down 54mms. Super fun to flip around such a big board. Get one with wheel wells if you can.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2021, 06:51:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah agree completely, way more manageable. Flips well, good size nose, full shape. Not too steep. I don’t know how guys ride ace on them though, maybe with risers and 60mm wheels to get pop leverage or could be I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks for the input guys, what would i do without you??

Is it allright paired with indys? With pop leverage do you mean that the tail hitting too soon and not getting enough power? Maybe that's getting better with time as the tail wears down haha

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #256 on: January 28, 2021, 01:54:57 AM »
Two questions... Probably both stupid.

Why does everyone always ride Ace with Polar?

And

What truck if any is good for no fingers flat? Like the kick starts right at the end of the baseplate.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Fhk

« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2021, 02:00:24 AM »

And

What truck if any is good for no fingers flat? Like the kick starts right at the end of the baseplate.
Definitely not stupid questions but I think you answered your own question IMO bud. Aces are great for decks with no flat before the kicks.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2021, 02:11:34 AM »

And

I think the mix is fairly even on the truck front, lots of people (including Polar team riders) on Ace, but also some on Indy and at least one on Thunder trucks.  I don't recall many on Venture, but I have seen some people with Venture trucks on Polar boards and they still work fine.

If the holes are drilled too close to the kicks, it will really mess with everything on the ride, especially if the kicks are anything other than super mellow, but Ace have the shortest wheelbase of all trucks, so they might work best.

Try whatever you have there first and see, but I have had boards like that and they felt terrible, so I drilled them in a bit and everything worked.

** Note too, Polar is skater owned, Ace is skater owned, so for some people who are sick of the big corp non skater types and brands, these two could be perceived as a fresh new step in the right direction.

Thought I would add that in there, as it is relevant to the choice people make.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 02:29:09 AM by Mbrimson88 »

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #259 on: January 28, 2021, 02:31:37 AM »
Thanks guys really helpful.

I'm rocking this new polar with thunder 149. It's great but sometimes it feels like there's a bit of resistance in the pop.

I'm happy with wb just wish there was more fingers of flat

Width: 8.375". Length: 32". Nose: 7". Wheel base: 14.5". Tail: 6.625".

m477

• Rep: 7
« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2021, 02:23:41 PM »

Any updates or rumors on this surf xl? I'm guessing this one posted is maybe 9.25x32.5 (tapering to 8.5 over the rear truck mounting holes)? 

Looks pretty dang good although if it were up to me, I'd prefer a daintier, less square, maybe slightly rounder tail. I'm picturing some 8.25 trucks with 60mm hot juice type wheels to make a killer cruiser.

Wafools

• Rep: 42
« Reply #261 on: January 30, 2021, 09:43:42 PM »
Expand Quote

And

[close]

I think the mix is fairly even on the truck front, lots of people (including Polar team riders) on Ace, but also some on Indy and at least one on Thunder trucks.  I don't recall many on Venture, but I have seen some people with Venture trucks on Polar boards and they still work fine.

If the holes are drilled too close to the kicks, it will really mess with everything on the ride, especially if the kicks are anything other than super mellow, but Ace have the shortest wheelbase of all trucks, so they might work best.

Try whatever you have there first and see, but I have had boards like that and they felt terrible, so I drilled them in a bit and everything worked.

** Note too, Polar is skater owned, Ace is skater owned, so for some people who are sick of the big corp non skater types and brands, these two could be perceived as a fresh new step in the right direction.

I think it does have to do with the kicks. I tried thunder and venture on polar and the pushed our wb felt so steep and kept getting ghost pop with polar. Indy and ace seem to mellow it out. But currently on polar with aces and I won’t ride anything else. It’s absolutely perfect.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 34
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #262 on: January 31, 2021, 01:32:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don't recall seeing one, but as far as I recall these brands do / did / releasing in the future - Real, Krooked, Deathwish, Heroin, Clutch woodshop, a few other smaller brands, maybe in the woodshop thread.
Add AWS to that list
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #263 on: February 01, 2021, 10:12:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

And

[close]

[close]

I think it does have to do with the kicks. I tried thunder and venture on polar and the pushed our wb felt so steep and kept getting ghost pop with polar. Indy and ace seem to mellow it out. But currently on polar with aces and I won’t ride anything else. It’s absolutely perfect.

Fuck me the urge to buy aces is so strong now. Everyday I go on the locals site and stare at them. What's wrong with me lol.

I just bought new thunder 149s 2 months ago so I just can't justify it.

Wizard0f0dds

• Rep: 72
« Reply #264 on: February 01, 2021, 10:29:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

And

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fuck me the urge to buy aces is so strong now. Everyday I go on the locals site and stare at them. What's wrong with me lol.

I just bought new thunder 149s 2 months ago so I just can't justify it.

Fuck it, you only live once. I say do it!

I'm a bit biased, as I swear by Ace ever since I switched from Indy last year. Best trucks out without a doubt imo.

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #265 on: February 01, 2021, 11:16:29 AM »
Can someone confirm whether polar makes a squared off 8.25 shape with a 14 WB? Online it seems the 8.25 are all 14.12 WB. Trying to find a shorter wheelbase square shape to go with venture hollow and 8.18 FA/Hockey is all I see at moment.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #266 on: February 01, 2021, 11:22:12 AM »
Can someone confirm whether polar makes a squared off 8.25 shape with a 14 WB? Online it seems the 8.25 are all 14.12 WB. Trying to find a shorter wheelbase square shape to go with venture hollow and 8.18 FA/Hockey is all I see at moment.

I just started skating Nick Boserio's pro model 8.25 with a shovel nose, and a 14.12 wheelbase like you mentioned. The nose is big and wide like the FA/Hockey decks but the tail is a little more traditional. I'm riding it on ventures and am really enjoying it. The short wheelbase makes lots of difference to me, personally. Coming from a Krooked 8.38 with 14.4 wheelbase and it's great

Pee nis

• Rep: 20
« Reply #267 on: February 01, 2021, 11:34:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I just started skating Nick Boserio's pro model 8.25 with a shovel nose, and a 14.12 wheelbase like you mentioned. The nose is big and wide like the FA/Hockey decks but the tail is a little more traditional. I'm riding it on ventures and am really enjoying it. The short wheelbase makes lots of difference to me, personally. Coming from a Krooked 8.38 with 14.4 wheelbase and it's great

Thanks! The v-hollow venture push out WB 3.4 inches so was trying to find 14 but 14.12 wouldn’t be bad. Will probably order one soon and give it a try.

Lorem_Ipsum

• Rep: 18
« Reply #268 on: February 01, 2021, 11:41:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thanks! The v-hollow venture push out WB 3.4 inches so was trying to find 14 but 14.12 wouldn’t be bad. Will probably order one soon and give it a try.

Yeah man. I hope you enjoy

Urtripping

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 530
« Reply #269 on: February 05, 2021, 07:55:53 AM »
Does anybody have details on the specs of the Shin Sanbongi Astro Boy graphic in 8.0? My local has one left on their site but I'm wondering about WB, concave, and kicks. Not super familiar with polar shapes.

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead