Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 69666 times)

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #270 on: February 05, 2021, 08:46:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Two questions... Probably both stupid.

Why does everyone always ride Ace with Polar?

And

What truck if any is good for no fingers flat? Like the kick starts right at the end of the baseplate.
[close]

I think the mix is fairly even on the truck front, lots of people (including Polar team riders) on Ace, but also some on Indy and at least one on Thunder trucks.  I don't recall many on Venture, but I have seen some people with Venture trucks on Polar boards and they still work fine.

If the holes are drilled too close to the kicks, it will really mess with everything on the ride, especially if the kicks are anything other than super mellow, but Ace have the shortest wheelbase of all trucks, so they might work best.

Try whatever you have there first and see, but I have had boards like that and they felt terrible, so I drilled them in a bit and everything worked.

** Note too, Polar is skater owned, Ace is skater owned, so for some people who are sick of the big corp non skater types and brands, these two could be perceived as a fresh new step in the right direction.

Thought I would add that in there, as it is relevant to the choice people make.

Hjalte skates Indys and I can confirm Indys fit perfectly into his wheel-well boards.  ive skated em with 54 classics and 54 conical fulls and both truck/whl combos hit dead center in the well (if you can get em to hit)
hardly art, hardly starving

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #271 on: February 05, 2021, 06:29:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Two questions... Probably both stupid.

Why does everyone always ride Ace with Polar?

And

What truck if any is good for no fingers flat? Like the kick starts right at the end of the baseplate.
[close]

I think the mix is fairly even on the truck front, lots of people (including Polar team riders) on Ace, but also some on Indy and at least one on Thunder trucks.  I don't recall many on Venture, but I have seen some people with Venture trucks on Polar boards and they still work fine.

If the holes are drilled too close to the kicks, it will really mess with everything on the ride, especially if the kicks are anything other than super mellow, but Ace have the shortest wheelbase of all trucks, so they might work best.

Try whatever you have there first and see, but I have had boards like that and they felt terrible, so I drilled them in a bit and everything worked.

** Note too, Polar is skater owned, Ace is skater owned, so for some people who are sick of the big corp non skater types and brands, these two could be perceived as a fresh new step in the right direction.

Thought I would add that in there, as it is relevant to the choice people make.
[close]

Hjalte skates Indys and I can confirm Indys fit perfectly into his wheel-well boards.  ive skated em with 54 classics and 54 conical fulls and both truck/whl combos hit dead center in the well (if you can get em to hit)
Roasted

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #272 on: February 05, 2021, 06:34:30 PM »
it's funny to cite "skater-owned" when you're referring to a board company and a truck company
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #273 on: February 05, 2021, 11:05:56 PM »
it's funny to cite "skater-owned" when you're referring to a board company and a truck company

It is almost weird saying it yes, but I know a lot of people have actively chosen NOT to ride Indy because of the direction the ownership (non skater) has taken the company.

I still ride Indy (stage 11) as my preferred truck of choice, as they do what I want how I want, but I think too when skateboarders become political, it sometimes causes curious alliances or weird outcomes, eg one guy I know now hates NHS and anything to do with them and all associated brands, but is always whinging about how his set up sucks with other brand trucks when he was happy on Indy not too long ago.

To keep it on topic "Polar shapes" I recently had a Polar 8.75 come to me which was a reasonable shape apart from a seemingly shorter pointy tail, which after looking up some other 8.75 boards, it seems to be similar.  Just wondering if anyone else had the same thing, or the tail is not such an issue?

It reminds me of a "Baker tail" on a DLX board, if that makes any sense.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #274 on: February 05, 2021, 11:42:33 PM »
Funny, I just rewatched "I like it here..." (filmed 2012-2015) and it seemed like almost everyone was on Indys. Then again, at a glance, Ace looks almost exactly like Indy until you look closer.

I ran three 8.5" Polars in a row with Indy 149s (Dane, Hjalte, Dane) I had the forged hollow baseplates on them  with a standard hangar. Loved em! Got a Polar a few months ago and it was ghost pop city/heavy as fuck. Felt so much steeper than u remembered the shape to be. Recently, it dawned on me, i switched my forged hollow to some standard base plates during early Lockdowns because they got mangled.  My conclusion: 53.5mm height with Polar 8.5 is a pretty ideal combination. 55mm is a bit hefty unless you got long legs and/or the power for it. If almost everyone on Polar is running Ace on em, that would put the height somewhere around 52-53mm? Maybe that's the ideal height to steepness combo with Polar shapes.
Super Champion Fun Zone

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #275 on: February 06, 2021, 05:26:13 AM »
Funny, I just rewatched "I like it here..." (filmed 2012-2015) and it seemed like almost everyone was on Indys. Then again, at a glance, Ace looks almost exactly like Indy until you look closer.

I ran three 8.5" Polars in a row with Indy 149s (Dane, Hjalte, Dane) I had the forged hollow baseplates on them  with a standard hangar. Loved em! Got a Polar a few months ago and it was ghost pop city/heavy as fuck. Felt so much steeper than u remembered the shape to be. Recently, it dawned on me, i switched my forged hollow to some standard base plates during early Lockdowns because they got mangled.  My conclusion: 53.5mm height with Polar 8.5 is a pretty ideal combination. 55mm is a bit hefty unless you got long legs and/or the power for it. If almost everyone on Polar is running Ace on em, that would put the height somewhere around 52-53mm? Maybe that's the ideal height to steepness combo with Polar shapes.
curious - what does the height of truck have to do with having long legs? Higher truck, longer to press down to pop, longer legs help that?

I too used stid Indy baseplates with ti hangers (169 size) recently and it seemed less drastic of a change from going full ti w forget baseplate.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #276 on: February 06, 2021, 05:34:06 AM »
I tried matching ville’s set up bc at the time had just gotten same deck and 55’s but just had 55 or 54mm wheels instead of 60mm.. I guess that wasn’t an accurate representation with the 5nm wheel diff/2.5ish mm of board height that would translate to. Felt pretty hefty I guess the added height would’ve helped w pop leverage. 53.5mm plus 1/8” riser plus 60mm wheels, that seems really tall.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #277 on: February 06, 2021, 11:34:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
curious - what does the height of truck have to do with having long legs? Higher truck, longer to press down to pop, longer legs help that?

I too used stid Indy baseplates with ti hangers (169 size) recently and it seemed less drastic of a change from going full ti w forget baseplate.

My logic with leg height is maybe it has some relationship to setup height. In that, someone who is shorter and/or has shorter legs would prefer a lower setup since there legs don't hold as much energy or has a quicker snap when engaging them to pop compared to the taller fellas with longer legs: Westgate running Venture Los as an example. Maybe the physics on it disagree with my interpretation this dynamic last night? Hahah

For me personally, I'm about 5' 11" and am slightly more leg than torso If the kicks are too steep, I need to drop the truck height. My thinking is that longer leg skaters can handle taller  setups since their legs can channel more kinetic energy into popping compared to the short leg skaters who have less kinetic energy channeling into their pop but it's quicker. Maybe I have it backwards with leg height affecting set up height?
Super Champion Fun Zone

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 840
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #278 on: February 06, 2021, 04:54:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

My logic with leg height is maybe it has some relationship to setup height. In that, someone who is shorter and/or has shorter legs would prefer a lower setup since there legs don't hold as much energy or has a quicker snap when engaging them to pop compared to the taller fellas with longer legs: Westgate running Venture Los as an example. Maybe the physics on it disagree with my interpretation this dynamic last night? Hahah

For me personally, I'm about 5' 11" and am slightly more leg than torso If the kicks are too steep, I need to drop the truck height. My thinking is that longer leg skaters can handle taller  setups since their legs can channel more kinetic energy into popping compared to the short leg skaters who have less kinetic energy channeling into their pop but it's quicker. Maybe I have it backwards with leg height affecting set up height?
there probably is no correlation at all, more preference based. im 6'5 all legs and i would never ride that ville setup even though i can "handle" it.

id can that theory, theres too many variables involved to even consider getting an answer that isnt muddy
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: February 06, 2021, 05:02:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
there probably is no correlation at all, more preference based. im 6'5 all legs and i would never ride that ville setup even though i can "handle" it.

id can that theory, theres too many variables involved to even consider getting an answer that isnt muddy

In retrospect, definitely a lofty "realization" of mine that wasn't scientifically backed and just a thought full of hot air. Haha! Oh well, I thought I cracked some Da Vinci code.

I guess the general rule here is ideal setup height is based on preference dictated by whatever your legs/core can handle comfortably, regardless of if you're all legs or not?

That Ville setup is a monster!
Super Champion Fun Zone

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #280 on: March 16, 2021, 04:08:31 AM »
Boserio seems to be riding the hajlte 8.5 acab with wheel wells in his latest story. I’m wondering if he’s running standard indy 55mm height with risers and the 60mm wheels which look worn down a bit. Or maybe forged plates with risers?

His set up does look high but pretty stable/not wobbly loose

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMbpBMAn7U4/?igshid=1s8i8dnrj6lh0

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1558
« Reply #281 on: March 16, 2021, 06:04:49 AM »
Boserio seems to be riding the hajlte 8.5 acab with wheel wells in his latest story. I’m wondering if he’s running standard indy 55mm height with risers and the 60mm wheels which look worn down a bit. Or maybe forged plates with risers?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMbpBMAn7U4/?igshid=1s8i8dnrj6lh0

He’s on ace, so probably 44’s.

Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: March 16, 2021, 06:46:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

He’s on ace, so probably 44’s.

yeah, wtf my bad. looked at the wrong team page. could be one of the new sizes. but yeah 52mm height with 1/8 risers gets it to indy std height

ballintoohard

« Reply #283 on: March 16, 2021, 10:04:54 AM »
I have an 8 with forged hollow 139s and for some reason it skates more stable and “bigger than my wider boards with Thunder Team Hollows. I dunno what it is about the shape. I had an 8.38 with Team Hollows and also with Indy 149 and it felt the same, but it was nice having more room.

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #284 on: March 20, 2021, 03:49:42 PM »
I have some Indy 169s and old wheels that i want to use for a cruiser. Dont know if i should go for a 1991 shape or a dane1.

Im 6'5 and ride 14.5 wb normally. Dimensions on the Dane sounds really short compared to what im used to, the 1991 shape has dimensions that im comfy with but idk if 169s is to Wide in the back?

Anybody tried 169 on the 1991 shape?

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: March 20, 2021, 04:55:14 PM »
I have some Indy 169s and old wheels that i want to use for a cruiser. Dont know if i should go for a 1991 shape or a dane1.

Im 6'5 and ride 14.5 wb normally. Dimensions on the Dane sounds really short compared to what im used to, the 1991 shape has dimensions that im comfy with but idk if 169s is to Wide in the back?

had 169 on Dane 1. the short wb and short length left me cramped, I’m 6’4” as well. I like the polar 14.5” wb and have been wanting to try the 1991 shape. Maybe this spring drop. I think 9” trucks either ace 55 or yeah 169 would be fine on the 1991. I mean people ride 55’s on 8.75” popsicles etc

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #286 on: March 20, 2021, 09:26:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
had 169 on Dane 1. the short wb and short length left me cramped, I’m 6’4” as well. I like the polar 14.5” wb and have been wanting to try the 1991 shape. Maybe this spring drop. I think 9” trucks either ace 55 or yeah 169 would be fine on the 1991. I mean people ride 55’s on 8.75” popsicles etc
169s should be fine and fit pretty dead on on the 1991 as it doesn't look like much taper going on. If it's gonna be more of a cruiser, 169s would be great. If you really have the old school set up bug, grab some 8.75" trucks. No question get the deck with the wheelbase you're used to. There's a lot of talk of Polar shapes in the Big Boards thread.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2021, 09:12:30 AM »
159's on the 1991 feel real good.

good come sausage

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2021, 11:32:58 AM »

are those tablets? top down view too? What is the width at the rear truck bolts?

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2021, 11:37:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
are those tablets? top down view too? What is the width at the rear truck bolts?

58 f4 OG classic

don't have the width handy

good come sausage

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #290 on: March 23, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
Width over the rear bolts on a 1991 is 8.75

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #291 on: March 25, 2021, 07:15:32 PM »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1278
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #292 on: March 25, 2021, 10:26:20 PM »
1991 junior shape!! 8.625” but no other dimensions

https://www.tactics.com/polar-skate-co/rozenberg-tribal-chief-865-1991-jr-shape-skateboard-deck
Damn what is that I wonder? No mention on the Polar site. The magic number is gonna be what wb.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #293 on: March 26, 2021, 08:36:57 AM »
I'm sure we'll get the actual numbers within the hour, but here's my quick analysis from Tactics product photos of P9 vs 1991 Jr lol. Just quickly drew over the silhouettes in illustrator, so they're not super symmetrical. 1991 JR looks maybe a little fuller and slightly shorter WB.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 08:44:58 AM by Lurkey »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #294 on: March 26, 2021, 10:14:45 AM »
Here is a top view of a sample from a while ago:

Looking at it reminded me that I want this to happen:

Lurkey

• Rep: 16
  • LA fool
« Reply #295 on: March 26, 2021, 11:12:05 AM »
Really want big surf shape. I love the look of it, but it was way too short for me.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #296 on: March 26, 2021, 12:46:59 PM »
Woah the big surf looks similar to the brown bomber. Very nice.
IG: @flowterspace

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 77
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #297 on: March 26, 2021, 03:50:10 PM »
Not sure if the big surf is in the new season, both https://prime-skateboard.com/products/list.php?category_id=19 and  https://www.duskskateshop.com/product-list/483 have some boards from the new drop already!
I like the regular surf so I’m not phased but I really want Shin’s sidecut board to make a come back... seems like it (and the arigato shape too) were only around for one season

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

bonafidekook

• Rep: 6
« Reply #298 on: March 27, 2021, 09:26:50 AM »
Really want big surf shape. I love the look of it, but it was way too short for me.

Big Surf shape is only 1/4" wider and same length/wb. Although on another shop page it was listed as 9.5"

Honestly hoping for the latter as I love my current surf shape but would be happier if it were a little wider, and my dane1 is just a little too wide for anything but my dedicated cruiser. Happy medium.

Roald Dahnkle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #299 on: March 27, 2021, 09:38:04 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/CM4LwkpLnFN/

Green is the big surf! As already mentioned it's 1/4 inch wider.

If you go on Polar's tagged pictures lots of shops overseas getting em in.