Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 69599 times)

Velcro Wallet

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 211
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #480 on: October 19, 2021, 02:52:04 PM »
Recently mentioned 1991 Jr

5.8 (bones hard bottom/cut down Ace top/flat washer)
Loophole 54 teardrops
Assorted bearings and allen hardware.

This thing gets small around the back (as small as ~8.125.) Flat with a pretty steep tail. I’ve only cruised the block with it but it’s fun. I just like looking down at it.

Happy to see 9” pop in the new drop. It does have wheel wells but I’m a fan.

This board should be in the “best of” thread. Just beautiful.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #481 on: October 19, 2021, 02:52:51 PM »
^ the Library logo is one of my fav shop logos.
hardly art, hardly starving

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #482 on: October 19, 2021, 07:20:38 PM »
Ahh thanks @Velcro Wallet ! Since I posted that last month that board has become my main ride. I couldn’t stay away from it. Just with Ace 44s now.

I have this rad Library sticker with Garfield that my daughter loves. Always a pleasure to order from them.

ginz2

• Rep: 4
  • i seent it.
« Reply #483 on: October 25, 2021, 02:00:03 PM »
Disappointed with my Herrington 8.5 with wheel wells, snapped the nose in 2 sessions. The gimmick didn't work out for me. :'(
grom n proud

hiljentaa

• Rep: 282
« Reply #484 on: October 25, 2021, 05:45:46 PM »

Loophole 54 teardrops

This thing gets small around the back (as small as ~8.125.) Flat with a pretty steep tail. I’ve only cruised the block with it but it’s fun. I just like looking down at it.

Gat dang, that looks so fun.

Thinking about getting one for myself, or maybe a New Deal Montessi?

Kevve

• Rep: 6
« Reply #485 on: October 25, 2021, 06:09:35 PM »
Expand Quote

Loophole 54 teardrops

[close]

Gat dang, that looks so fun.

Thinking about getting one for myself, or maybe a New Deal Montessi?

Did anyone figure out the diffrence between the p9 and the  91jr yet? Same dims,but the jr seems to be a tad wider in the front half of the board.

Love my 91 shape would be fun to try the jr in the future

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #486 on: October 26, 2021, 05:52:32 PM »
I don't think anyone else posted or has both to compare (but havent' checked right through) but this was from the last page.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112584.msg3641652#msg3641652

So the 1991 Jr when compared to the P9 is a bit wider, a bit shorter with a shorter wheelbase going by some of those dimensions, but others it seems to be about the same, so I think someone would need to have both in hand to measure and line up to really check for differences.

When putting one image over another, the 1991 Jr is a bit more squared off in all aspects than the P9 but that is not the best way to assess differences.

kenjiro

« Reply #487 on: October 26, 2021, 11:46:22 PM »
I love the 8.5 shape, will i like the p9?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #488 on: October 27, 2021, 05:29:08 AM »
The 8.75" surf shape.

This board looks great. Without having to scroll back for five pages, can someone tell me what the story is with the “surf” shape? Is this intended to be primarily used as a cruiser?
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 854
« Reply #489 on: October 27, 2021, 05:38:17 AM »
Expand Quote
The 8.75" surf shape.

[close]
I think it's shin sanbongis prefered shape. Maybe not so much a cruiser but less intended for those who want to do a lot of nollie/tech stuff
This board looks great. Without having to scroll back for five pages, can someone tell me what the story is with the “surf” shape? Is this intended to be primarily used as a cruiser?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #490 on: October 27, 2021, 06:55:06 AM »
Shin skates it as a regular board, I did with mine too (just with bigger wheels). Not the greatest for nollie tricks off the nose, but other than that it’s a tonne of fun! His dad is a surfer/ he grew up by the ocean hence where he probably got the inspo from.
Check pic 4
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUc_JrooYV6/?utm_medium=copy_link
God knows how he does nose blunts on that thing!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #491 on: October 27, 2021, 07:14:59 AM »
Shin skates it as a regular board, I did with mine too (just with bigger wheels). Not the greatest for nollie tricks off the nose, but other than that it’s a tonne of fun! His dad is a surfer/ he grew up by the ocean hence where he probably got the inspo from.
Check pic 4
https://www.instagram.com/p/CUc_JrooYV6/?utm_medium=copy_link
God knows how he does nose blunts on that thing!

Yeah, it's a custom shape that Polar did for shin that ended up in the main rotation, sort of like the Dane1 (for Dane) and the P9 (for KRod). I can see why people like it for cruising...I remember someone on here once comparing it to a scaled up penny board.

I've been skating mine for a little less than a week and I love it. I tend to gravitate towards the 9"+ Polar shapes and was worried it would feel small but it does not. Initially I was running Indy 149 Reynolds hollows but between those, risers, and 60mm wheels I could not get the thing off the ground. I switched to Ace 44s with the same wheels and 1/16" shock pads and it feels perfect, no noticeable wheelbite. I can also do my little mini bag of nollie tricks on it with the Aces (not with the Indys)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #492 on: October 27, 2021, 07:25:35 AM »
Yeah works best with ace 44s, that’s cool you can nollie on it, I just used to do a quick shove ala early 90s before doing nollie tricks

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #493 on: October 27, 2021, 06:50:44 PM »
can anyone give their thoughts on the wheel wells on polar boards? I’m thinking of getting a deck but how functional are they really? i ride loose trucks so some more clearance would be good but i wanna know if they actually are good in practice
Got a Dane 1 on loose 159s, 52mm, no bite. It's wonderful for the loose truck crowd.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #494 on: October 29, 2021, 12:59:02 AM »
any pals who rode the surf shapes with ventures, how was it?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #495 on: October 29, 2021, 10:28:32 AM »

I'm going to find out this week.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #496 on: October 29, 2021, 12:05:09 PM »
What’s the consensus best truck width for the Dane 1 shape? 9 inches?

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #497 on: October 29, 2021, 12:25:29 PM »
i like mine with ace 55s for sure, and they have a 9" axle. you could probably go a little bigger depending on preferences; i thought i had undersized my truck at first but now i'm used to it and i think it rocks. the extra leverage of a magic carpet accentuates the carvy surfy feeling that a deck like the dane does nicely. i use it mostly for curbs and transition/ditches.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #498 on: October 29, 2021, 12:31:16 PM »
Dane 1 I used 151s (8.75)" and 55s (9"). I preferred it with the 151s.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #499 on: October 29, 2021, 12:41:10 PM »
Thanks for the responses!  I haven’t skated Indys in a while and I’m debating 159s vs 169s to pair with the Dane 1.  I’ll probably use it mostly for curbs and stuff. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 12:48:27 PM by big_kev_215 »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #500 on: October 29, 2021, 01:10:13 PM »
I tried it on 159s and 169 Ti's with and without 1/8th risers and I thought it felt much better with 159/151s
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #501 on: November 03, 2021, 12:07:06 PM »

@off skating the Surf Jr with Venture 5.8s now. Running the trucks fully stock, 60mm spits, no risers. Initially tried it with Indy 149s and 1/4" (and then 1/8") risers, then with Ace 44s and 1/16" risers. Same wheels every time.

Two sessions in and the Ventures feel the best with this so far in regards to pop and manual point. Even though they shorten the nose a bit, I was still able to do my nollie tricks (unlike with Indy) and it made the long tail feel perfectly responsive and balanced. The only thing I don't like with them is that I keep sticking/stalling on grinds, though maybe that will be alleviated as the trucks break in and I get more used to them.

Even though I am a slappy addict, the pop on this feels good enough that I want to resist putting the Aces back on and make these work.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #502 on: November 03, 2021, 12:40:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@off skating the Surf Jr with Venture 5.8s now. Running the trucks fully stock, 60mm spits, no risers. Initially tried it with Indy 149s and 1/4" (and then 1/8") risers, then with Ace 44s and 1/16" risers. Same wheels every time.

Two sessions in and the Ventures feel the best with this so far in regards to pop and manual point. Even though they shorten the nose a bit, I was still able to do my nollie tricks (unlike with Indy) and it made the long tail feel perfectly responsive and balanced. The only thing I don't like with them is that I keep sticking/stalling on grinds, though maybe that will be alleviated as the trucks break in and I get more used to them.

Even though I am a slappy addict, the pop on this feels good enough that I want to resist putting the Aces back on and make these work.

Hows wheelbite? I'm interested in a shin surf as a cruiser to put my 60mm super juice on. Would prefer to not have risers since the wheels already make it way higher. Wheel wells sound like they'd be the perfect solution in theory.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #503 on: November 03, 2021, 12:49:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Hows wheelbite? I'm interested in a shin surf as a cruiser to put my 60mm super juice on. Would prefer to not have risers since the wheels already make it way higher. Wheel wells sound like they'd be the perfect solution in theory.

No noticeable bite. I'm 6'3", 200lbs and skating them with pretty much everything stock (tightened the back truck 1/4 turn). The super juices might be different since they're wider and softer but I am so psyched to be able to run this without risers.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: November 03, 2021, 01:28:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

No noticeable bite. I'm 6'3", 200lbs and skating them with pretty much everything stock (tightened the back truck 1/4 turn). The super juices might be different since they're wider and softer but I am so psyched to be able to run this without risers.

I see, I probably skate a similar tightness and weigh about 190. How about the bite compared to when you had aces or indys? I always skate venture on my street setup but something a bit turnier sounds kinda nice.

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #505 on: November 03, 2021, 01:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I see, I probably skate a similar tightness and weigh about 190. How about the bite compared to when you had aces or indys? I always skate venture on my street setup but something a bit turnier sounds kinda nice.

The wheel wells are intended for Ace so I imagine they would handle bite the best. Indys line up decently enough for sure but they don't hit the exact center of the wells. Curious where Ventures sit, relative to the WWs.

*just realized not all Surfs have WWs, disregard if yours doesn't.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #506 on: November 03, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Indy had the worst bite for sure, but it was still doable with the risers. The aces didn't bite even with the little 1/16" shock pads. I would recommend the Ace 44 classics if you want to go with one of the surfier trucks.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #507 on: November 03, 2021, 03:11:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Indy had the worst bite for sure, but it was still doable with the risers. The aces didn't bite even with the little 1/16" shock pads. I would recommend the Ace 44 classics if you want to go with one of the surfier trucks.

Honestly interested in lurpivs when they drop. How come classics over the af1s though?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #508 on: November 03, 2021, 06:23:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Honestly interested in lurpivs when they drop. How come classics over the af1s though?

I've spent a lot more time on the classics but in general they're more stable and I've never had the pivot issues the others have reported with the AF1s.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #509 on: November 03, 2021, 06:49:28 PM »
The classics are just the ace turn.
I have not spent that much time on my af1 44s, but they felt slightly dumbed down with an overly soft/mushy pivot cup (I feel like this was a ‘hack’ to try and get a turny feel, because I think they kinda changed the geo, that’s why the wb on af’s is closer to an indy, not as vertical of a kp angle….I’m an idiot, I want this to be very clear, not a truck scientist or even someone that knows how to use a protractor, this is 100 out of my ass/shit I’ve read here). Anyways, I rode the af1s for not long enough to really break them in, and wasn’t all that hyped. The most interesting thing to me, with trucks and different setups, is the different ‘pop feel’ (sounds dumb) or leverage or whatever. I like how different trucks make different things easier or more attainable to me. As an example, it’s easier for me to do 360 flips, from the pocket/and in general, with indys or ace, whilst kickflips are much more consistent for me with thunders. I ollie best with ventures. And on and on. The af1s didn’t give me my little drug addict hit of instant nollie heels or whatever so ….I went back to rotating the usual suspects.
Lots of folks have had a bad time with the af1s, and the pivot cavity debacle. I had, and was really into the stage 1 ace trucks, and those had problems, but really gave back something unique: a gnarly turn. Also, watching the amount of full grown adult skateboarders, that post here, that grab brand new trucks, and tighten the living fuck out of them, and then complain about the bushings being fucked….well I kinda just assumed it was more of that. I’ll deal with a little fragility for some performance. I’m not trying to make two $20-30 hunks of crudely shaped metal last for 2 years as my unskilled self beats them into every hard surface I can. But the af1 pivot thing seems to just be a straight up flaw, with very little reward.
I repeat myself. A lot.