Author Topic: Polar Shapes  (Read 69618 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
Re: Polar Shapes
« Reply #540 on: November 30, 2021, 08:42:02 AM »
What's the Slap wisdom on the Polars with wheel wells as far as wheel size allowances? Will an 8.5 w/ wheel wells allow me to run 56mm F4s on Indy 159s with no risers? i'm thinking I'm going to try it.

I’m on a P9 with wheel wells, Indy 159 titaniums with a riser (so standard Indy height) and 56mm wheels. It’s a flawless combo, can’t recommend a skateboard more.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Woodshop

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • Just deck / woodshop info
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #541 on: December 01, 2021, 05:51:59 AM »
Expand Quote
What's the Slap wisdom on the Polars with wheel wells as far as wheel size allowances? Will an 8.5 w/ wheel wells allow me to run 56mm F4s on Indy 159s with no risers? i'm thinking I'm going to try it.
[close]

I’m on a P9 with wheel wells, Indy 159 titaniums with a riser (so standard Indy height) and 56mm wheels. It’s a flawless combo, can’t recommend a skateboard more.

Yeah that sounds good!

They both do.

I am so surprised that any deck with wheel wells (from manufacturer or home done) allows for so much more turn overall.

Been messing around with cruiser setups and having wheel wells allows for 60mm+ wheels so easily on normal Indy standards with at max 1/8" risers and loose trucks.

That extra 1 to 2 mm depth of wheel wells really does give so much more clearance, as if there are 1/4" or taller risers, from testing boards that don't have wheel wells and then making some in the board and dropping the risers to see how much difference it makes.

Argyle

• Rep: 38
« Reply #542 on: December 04, 2021, 05:46:48 AM »
Anyone try out the Dane Jr? Wish there were more in this new season, wasn't crazy about the last graphic, but kinda wanna try it out.

I haven't but been searching around to see if anyone has. It looks pretty nice.

Do you think 149s would fit like on the surf jr?

kenjiro

« Reply #543 on: December 09, 2021, 06:30:41 PM »
How would the 1991 jr do with ace 44? I heard it tapers pretty hard to 8.1?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #544 on: December 09, 2021, 07:28:11 PM »
How would the 1991 jr do with ace 44? I heard it tapers pretty hard to 8.1?

Can’t comment on the 91 jr, other then to say I hope for more ‘minis’ ‘JR’s’ and shaped boards, that are smaller.
I’ve ridden 44’s on 8.1s, totally fine. I prefer trucks smaller than the board, so it wasn’t ideal, but 44s really seem to fit a wide range of shit for me.
On shaped boards I size the trucks to the width of the deck at the rear holes.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #545 on: December 09, 2021, 07:54:54 PM »
It’s works great. Here’s my 91 Jr with Classic 44s. Wheels pushed out in the front, tucked in in the back.

kenjiro

« Reply #546 on: December 09, 2021, 08:11:57 PM »
It’s works great. Here’s my 91 Jr with Classic 44s. Wheels pushed out in the front, tucked in in the back.

thank you! looks like they should do just fine

kenjiro

« Reply #547 on: December 29, 2021, 10:43:18 AM »
I’m using Ace 44 with my 91 jr but it’s a little too heavy, hard to flip.

I’m looking at some indy forged hollow but I don’t know which to choose between 144 and 149. Would to the 149 hot rod too much in back? Would the 144 be too small upfront? Obviously gonna use extra washers but i wonder if anyone else had to decide between 144 and 149?

after skating ace 44 classics and 8.5 for the better part of last year, i kinda like the magic carpet-ish feel.

Jowiththeflow

• Rep: 18
« Reply #548 on: December 29, 2021, 12:19:51 PM »
You kinda answered your question already, imo: 144. 'cause you don't mind a little magic carpet. You can play around with washers on them. But you can't make 149s smaller. And I noticed they are more like 153mm, if you run them with one washer on each side of the wheel, btw.

It really depends on the width of your wheels though.

I'm currently running F4 55mm Og-classics on Film Trucks (machined to 149mm) on the 1991jr.
The outside of the wheel is flush on the back with one washer; the trucknut is still a few mm in on the front.
I like it this way, but this is my transition set-up. I have no intend to flip it ;)

I had a P9 shape, which is quite similar in width; a while ago, that I set up with Indy 149 for bigger Transition; and then Ace Classics 44 for more versatile use. I was running that with two washers in and 37mm wide wheels, though.

I think you always have to compromise a bit on those tapered shapes...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 01:12:05 PM by Jowiththeflow »

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #549 on: January 24, 2022, 06:48:02 AM »
Anyone know if the Polar popsicle shape is unique to Polar or common in the BBS catalog and available from other brands? Loving the 8.5 at the moment, would be good to have other options in graphics and stain/paint than offered by Polar.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #550 on: January 24, 2022, 08:54:16 PM »
Anyone know if the Polar popsicle shape is unique to Polar or common in the BBS catalog and available from other brands? Loving the 8.5 at the moment, would be good to have other options in graphics and stain/paint than offered by Polar.

This might seem silly given all the online info there is about Polar boards, but can you measure the deck you have, mainly wheelbase, as there are so many conflicting reports / info about Polar boards and I don't actually have an 8.5 from Polar to compare.

Main reason I ask is a lot show 14.5 wb but the boards I have are all 14.375 or so in 8.75 and 8.3 something widths (that were stated at 14.5 wb) so I thought that should be clarified first.

There are a lot of similar shapes out there, on both 14.5 and 14.38 or so wheelbases from BBS but exactly which ones you prefer is your call.

typeischeap

• Rep: 106
« Reply #551 on: January 25, 2022, 08:48:31 AM »
Polar 8.5 popsicle shape (measured by me): 32x8.5x14.375

Baker 8.5 B2 shape for control/reference (measured by me): 32.25x8.5x14.375

The B2 is always marked 14.5 as is the Polar so this is probably common knowledge but may help someone else.

Things that stand out about this shape are the tapered tail and relatively full nose without being FA/Hockey square, just slightly more round than the B2.
Unapologetic shoes and gear nerd deep into my 3rd era of skateboarding every day.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #552 on: January 25, 2022, 02:21:26 PM »
Polar 8.5 popsicle shape (measured by me): 32x8.5x14.375

Baker 8.5 B2 shape for control/reference (measured by me): 32.25x8.5x14.375

The B2 is always marked 14.5 as is the Polar so this is probably common knowledge but may help someone else.

Things that stand out about this shape are the tapered tail and relatively full nose without being FA/Hockey square, just slightly more round than the B2.

Thank you for that.

I had never seen a Baker B2 in person either, so didn't know that about them either, re slightly shorter wheelbase.

So most of the BBS 8.5 decks to me / the ones I have from a range of companies are a little bit longer in length and wheelbase, eg usual Baker decks say 32 long but they are more like 32.25, but all of them do seem to have a really good shape, nice rounded kicks, not pointy at all.

Heroin 8.5 might also be the same as the Polar boards, as I have one of those, 8.5 x 32 with 14.375 wb.

I don't know if you would notice the 8.5 x 32.25 with 14.5 wb being significantly different to the Polar deck, but I know even little things like that can make a big difference.

juniormint

• Rep: 140
« Reply #553 on: January 29, 2022, 01:24:03 PM »
Been riding a polar 8.75 pop, but toying with the idea of copping the polar 9er next. Does anyone have intel on the 9 inch popsicle shape - specifically regarding the shape of the tail? Been enjoying the 8.75 but find myself wishing the tail was a little less tapered.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #554 on: January 29, 2022, 05:08:31 PM »
Been riding a polar 8.75 pop, but toying with the idea of copping the polar 9er next. Does anyone have intel on the 9 inch popsicle shape - specifically regarding the shape of the tail? Been enjoying the 8.75 but find myself wishing the tail was a little less tapered.

That is the main reason I have a second hand Polar 8.75 (as well as a couple of others I found online too) as the previous owner just wasn't into the tapering tail on the 8.75 deck.

Some of the boards have that straight line right through to a normal tail, but others like the 8.75 really do taper so much from the back bolts into a tiny looking tail.

I think if you check out the 9.0 you would be happily surprised by how good the tail seems, which just looks from pics like it is a very normal tail, no tiny tail taper syndrome there.

https://polarskateco.com/collections/9-0/products/hjalte-halberg-lurking-wheel-well

9.0" X 32.25"  - WITH WHEEL WELLS
NOSE: 7.0"
WHEEL BASE: 14.5"
TAIL: 6.75"

juniormint

« Reply #555 on: January 29, 2022, 11:07:22 PM »
Yep that’s what I thought from looking at the pictures as well. Thanks for the confirmation, looks like I’ll be entering the big boy club then. Hopefully 151s don’t magic carpet too much on it. 

Expand Quote
[close]

That is the main reason I have a second hand Polar 8.75 (as well as a couple of others I found online too) as the previous owner just wasn't into the tapering tail on the 8.75 deck.

Some of the boards have that straight line right through to a normal tail, but others like the 8.75 really do taper so much from the back bolts into a tiny looking tail.

I think if you check out the 9.0 you would be happily surprised by how good the tail seems, which just looks from pics like it is a very normal tail, no tiny tail taper syndrome there.

https://polarskateco.com/collections/9-0/products/hjalte-halberg-lurking-wheel-well

9.0" X 32.25"  - WITH WHEEL WELLS
NOSE: 7.0"
WHEEL BASE: 14.5"
TAIL: 6.75"

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #556 on: January 30, 2022, 03:05:28 AM »
Yep that’s what I thought from looking at the pictures as well. Thanks for the confirmation, looks like I’ll be entering the big boy club then. Hopefully 151s don’t magic carpet too much on it. 

It might be a bit too much information, but you could always try the 8.625 board instead.

I had a slightly used DLX 8.6 the other day and although I didn't think it looked big, it definitely felt big - of course it is a different shape to the Polar boards, but the 8.75 seems to taper whereas the 8.625 doesn't seem to taper at all and stays the same right through, like the 9 did, at least in all the pics.

That would still fit really well on those trucks too, as I had some Indy 159s on this one and compared to the 8.75 it actually sat better, but that is just me.

Polar Skateboard Deck 8.625" x 32.375" with 14.375" WB

juniormint

« Reply #557 on: January 30, 2022, 06:47:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It might be a bit too much information, but you could always try the 8.625 board instead.

I had a slightly used DLX 8.6 the other day and although I didn't think it looked big, it definitely felt big - of course it is a different shape to the Polar boards, but the 8.75 seems to taper whereas the 8.625 doesn't seem to taper at all and stays the same right through, like the 9 did, at least in all the pics.

That would still fit really well on those trucks too, as I had some Indy 159s on this one and compared to the 8.75 it actually sat better, but that is just me.

Polar Skateboard Deck 8.625" x 32.375" with 14.375" WB

Good suggestion although I have skated a Boserio 8.6 in the past and remember feeling the same way. Actually looking at that 8.6 I have in my used deck stack and comparing it to the 8.75 seems it isn't as tapered, but is certainly not as full as I'd like. It's also a lot more mellow than the 8.75.

My hope is the 9" provides the extra real estate in the tail I am looking for, it being a tad shorter is also nice too. Might just have to get some wider wheels.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #558 on: January 30, 2022, 07:48:59 AM »

I skated the 9” popsicle when I briefly believed I should be skating wide decks. It was great, but ultimately not for me. It didn’t seem tapered, it was a nice, fat round shape, but this is from memory and not sight. I could flip it pretty well, all things considered. If you’re into fatter popsicles, I don’t think you can do better than the Polar to be honest.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

greenreese

• Rep: 25
« Reply #559 on: January 30, 2022, 08:22:59 AM »

I've got the 9" Shin Sanbongi pictured below.  Those are 169TIs.  I've tried that 9" Enjoi, that Heroin 9 and an AH Orange Eagle 9 as well and the Polar is easily my favorite.  I've got a pile of skateboards and this one is the definitive favorite of everyone who has tried it as well.  One buddy flew in from SLC, tried half a dozen kickflips on that Curb Riot board, missed them all, then banged away every one on the Polar.  Another friend was rippin an 8.1 Baker and tried the Polar and loved it so much I ended up giving him my second Heroin 9 and a pair of 169 Forged Hollows.  He still likes the Polar better.  The kicks felt weird on the Enjoi, flat and steep, the Heroin has a fucking massive nose and the AH was way too long.  The Polar skates so small and balanced compared to all the others.  The kicks have a great shape and are very proportional.  The picture below makes the tail look a bit pointier than it actually is.  I initially had it set up with 56mm conical fulls and when the bushings were new and tight it was great.  Now that the bushings are broken in, I've switched to 53mm conical fulls and I like it even more.

At this point my madness is winding down and I've settled on the short 8.5 DLX shape and ACE AF155's, and I'm trying to stick to that, but the Polar isn't going anywhere, it's so good.

juniormint

« Reply #560 on: January 30, 2022, 09:34:53 AM »
Ok sick, looks and sounds like it’s a good shape. Thanks for sharing. Quite the quiver you’ve got going there!

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #561 on: January 30, 2022, 03:59:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've got the 9" Shin Sanbongi pictured below.  Those are 169TIs.  I've tried that 9" Enjoi, that Heroin 9 and an AH Orange Eagle 9 as well and the Polar is easily my favorite.  I've got a pile of skateboards and this one is the definitive favorite of everyone who has tried it as well.  One buddy flew in from SLC, tried half a dozen kickflips on that Curb Riot board, missed them all, then banged away every one on the Polar.  Another friend was rippin an 8.1 Baker and tried the Polar and loved it so much I ended up giving him my second Heroin 9 and a pair of 169 Forged Hollows.  He still likes the Polar better.  The kicks felt weird on the Enjoi, flat and steep, the Heroin has a fucking massive nose and the AH was way too long.  The Polar skates so small and balanced compared to all the others.  The kicks have a great shape and are very proportional.  The picture below makes the tail look a bit pointier than it actually is.  I initially had it set up with 56mm conical fulls and when the bushings were new and tight it was great.  Now that the bushings are broken in, I've switched to 53mm conical fulls and I like it even more.

At this point my madness is winding down and I've settled on the short 8.5 DLX shape and ACE AF155's, and I'm trying to stick to that, but the Polar isn't going anywhere, it's so good.

So good!!!!

It is always better when someone has some experience with different boards and can share the information with others like this, not to mention the awesome pictures too.

nekro

• Rep: 8
« Reply #562 on: February 01, 2022, 04:35:24 AM »
Did the 1992 shape come in Jr size?

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #563 on: February 01, 2022, 06:58:08 AM »
Did the 1992 shape come in Jr size?

No.

1991 Jr
Surf Jr
Dane 1 Jr

I think that was it for the Jr shapes.

Could be more, but many are originals in their own right, be it slightly smaller than some other similar shapes though.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #564 on: February 01, 2022, 07:11:07 AM »
What's with the taper to the tail on some polar decks? I have this 8.5 and it's like 8.3 over the rear trucks. It feels like it tapers more than the Baker decks I was skating for a year or so. Tiny fucking tail too

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: February 01, 2022, 03:48:31 PM »
What's with the taper to the tail on some polar decks? I have this 8.5 and it's like 8.3 over the rear trucks. It feels like it tapers more than the Baker decks I was skating for a year or so. Tiny fucking tail too

Sometimes it is more like the two opposites - the big squared tails or the tiny tapering tails and not a whole lot of middle ground.

I get what you mean with other boards and the main BBS 8.5 brands usually have really good shapes, wide round kicks that are just so comfortable, then some like that which are shorter and more tapered, but that is also how many of their riders and people prefer their kicks, so I guess it is down to finding what works and sticking with it.

fakie varial flip

« Reply #566 on: February 01, 2022, 04:14:59 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It is insane how weird it feels on transition. I got used to it since I skated Baker decks for a long time on transition but jesus I was not expecting that taper  ;D

Sometimes it is more like the two opposites - the big squared tails or the tiny tapering tails and not a whole lot of middle ground.

I get what you mean with other boards and the main BBS 8.5 brands usually have really good shapes, wide round kicks that are just so comfortable, then some like that which are shorter and more tapered, but that is also how many of their riders and people prefer their kicks, so I guess it is down to finding what works and sticking with it.

Woodshop

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #567 on: February 01, 2022, 04:50:20 PM »

It is insane how weird it feels on transition. I got used to it since I skated Baker decks for a long time on transition but jesus I was not expecting that taper  ;D

That is why I had to leave other boards and find something that worked for me way back when Black Label on PS Stix went to smaller tapered tails, so from 2003 or so I found that DLX tails were nice and long and worked for me, so I had stayed with that, along with most 8.5 BBS rounder shapes more recently as well.

I am more a transition skater than anything else, so having a good tail is a must for me, on ramps, but I don't mind having a more worn out / smaller tail for street stuff.

As said above too, the 8.75 board has a tiny tapered tail, so that is more just a mess around in carparks type board, but the average BBS 8.5 has a 6.75" tail so that is great for what I want.

It is just finding the right size and shape of board sometimes, more so than sticking to one brand, but I definitely get the brand loyalty as well.

freidnly guy

• Rep: 15
« Reply #568 on: February 01, 2022, 05:37:16 PM »
Tiny fucking tail too
ya seriously it's terrible
Anyone know is the 8.5 unique or are all their shapes like that?

fakie varial flip

« Reply #569 on: February 01, 2022, 06:23:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That is why I had to leave other boards and find something that worked for me way back when Black Label on PS Stix went to smaller tapered tails, so from 2003 or so I found that DLX tails were nice and long and worked for me, so I had stayed with that, along with most 8.5 BBS rounder shapes more recently as well.

I am more a transition skater than anything else, so having a good tail is a must for me, on ramps, but I don't mind having a more worn out / smaller tail for street stuff.

As said above too, the 8.75 board has a tiny tapered tail, so that is more just a mess around in carparks type board, but the average BBS 8.5 has a 6.75" tail so that is great for what I want.

It is just finding the right size and shape of board sometimes, more so than sticking to one brand, but I definitely get the brand loyalty as well.

Yeah I tried one of the very cheap AWS decks when I found out they were BBS... a 7 inch tail! It was fucking beautiful. Then, the first Polar popsicle I try has this comically tiny tail. I actually laughed at one point, i went to drop in and just lost the board  ;D