Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50160 times)

smg1138

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 40
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #690 on: December 05, 2023, 01:53:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Anybody know which direction Indy replacement bushings are supposed to face? The bottom barrel bushing has a machined side with a square edge and the other side is smooth with a rounded edge. I noticed the stock bushings have the machined side facing boardside but I always thought that side was supposed to face towards the hanger? I guess it probably doesn't matter much but it's messing with my madness lol
[close]
The video someone did once saying factory workers don't know which way the bushings go so they just put them in any which way, but the circle sides go to the hanger and the smooth sides go to the washers, so the circles help stop the hanger moving or something like that.

I think this is what caused my confusion to begin with. I don't have the highest confidence that factory workers in China really know wtf they're doing when it comes to any of this. The circle side facing the hanger and the smooth side facing the washer was always my initial thought. Thanks for the additional input!

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 968
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #691 on: December 05, 2023, 10:08:31 PM »
Anybody know which direction Indy replacement bushings are supposed to face? The bottom barrel bushing has a machined side with a square edge and the other side is smooth with a rounded edge. I noticed the stock bushings have the machined side facing boardside but I always thought that side was supposed to face towards the hanger? I guess it probably doesn't matter much but it's messing with my madness lol

I always go flat side to the baseplates. I feel like it's less likely to get damaged round to hangers.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #692 on: December 05, 2023, 10:13:42 PM »
Speaking of cylinder and conical: I've run Indy medium hard 92 cylinder bushings on my 144s and they're great. Haven't tried the conical ones, though. Is there a noticeable difference in feel/turn between cylinder and conical when running the same hardness?

Conical is the only way I go with indys. It's better in my opinion. I only notice the effects in manuals really. Conical turns better on one truck.

Also barrels will favor one side when old. Conicals stay straight for the duration of multiple truck lives

Has anyone tried Indy conical in Ventures?
(A)pl(E)

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 59
« Reply #693 on: December 05, 2023, 10:30:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Speaking of cylinder and conical: I've run Indy medium hard 92 cylinder bushings on my 144s and they're great. Haven't tried the conical ones, though. Is there a noticeable difference in feel/turn between cylinder and conical when running the same hardness?
[close]

Conical is the only way I go with indys. It's better in my opinion. I only notice the effects in manuals really. Conical turns better on one truck.

How you install the Indy aftermarket conicals on Stage 11? Without boardside washer? The bushing is taller than barrel I reckon.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #694 on: December 05, 2023, 10:55:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

How you install the Indy aftermarket conicals on Stage 11? Without boardside washer? The bushing is taller than barrel I reckon.

It's been a while but yes. I'd run a flat top washer now tho
(A)pl(E)

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #695 on: December 16, 2023, 07:24:21 PM »
Just wanted to give an update after my Indy 215 question. The bushings that came with them were the orange stock bushings and were too floppy to comfortably ride even cranked down. I got the black "original" bushings and they're perfect and smooth turning with one thread showing. I think the new 215s are shipping with the wrong size bushings in them and recommend swapping stock with "original" regardless of hardness. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

marcusbutler

« Reply #696 on: December 16, 2023, 08:36:10 PM »
160 lbs. 5'6". Running thunders with old indy stock orange bushings in em. Street.
We rode 7.5's" and didn't complain.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #697 on: December 17, 2023, 01:48:53 AM »
Just wanted to give an update after my Indy 215 question. The bushings that came with them were the orange stock bushings and were too floppy to comfortably ride even cranked down. I got the black "original" bushings and they're perfect and smooth turning with one thread showing. I think the new 215s are shipping with the wrong size bushings in them and recommend swapping stock with "original" regardless of hardness. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Nice!

Were the stock bushings in the 215s the same height as the other stock Indy bushings now, or are they still a little taller?

Not a big deal, but it is curious some seemed like they were taller, then others seem like they are the same height, with the 215 kingpins being taller on the set I have.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 61
« Reply #698 on: December 17, 2023, 06:55:18 AM »
I’m a casual skater, but don’t think I’ll ever skate cheap bearings again. I’m only cruising and doing a few tricks but I can tell the difference. I thought my Bronson G3s were good until I tried the Swiss Six 😂

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #699 on: December 17, 2023, 07:32:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nice!

Were the stock bushings in the 215s the same height as the other stock Indy bushings now, or are they still a little taller?

Not a big deal, but it is curious some seemed like they were taller, then others seem like they are the same height, with the 215 kingpins being taller on the set I have.

The ones that came with mine were the same as regular stage 11 Indy bushings, but the kingpin is longer, causing a mismatch.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #700 on: December 17, 2023, 09:01:07 AM »
Purple Venture bushings are back to being good.

I'm betting Mexican manufacturing started around the beginning of COVID-19. It took that long for the new science guys to get the mix right.

Shining and Brite is what you're looking for at the shop. Leave the dark purples for uninformed pals
(A)pl(E)

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 16
« Reply #701 on: December 17, 2023, 09:35:42 AM »
fuck that would bother me, paying a trucks full price and having not the good kind of bushings size with em.
sucks ...

OhioGuy

• Rep: 61
« Reply #702 on: December 18, 2023, 02:23:16 AM »
I’m a casual skater, but don’t think I’ll ever skate cheap bearings again. I’m only cruising and doing a few tricks but I can tell the difference. I thought my Bronson G3s were good until I tried the Swiss Six 😂
lol, just realized this is the bushing thread. Gotta really read the title.

I’m still uses Indy and Ace Hard in my 159s. They support my 250lbs nicely.

Ant

« Reply #703 on: December 21, 2023, 02:24:47 AM »
Was running Aces with stock bushings. Was happy then a few sessions in (including a slam) it all felt too loose. So rather than tighten them up I just changed back to Indys with 92a conicals

https://imgur.com/a/TopGZnv

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #704 on: December 21, 2023, 03:10:18 AM »
Was running Aces with stock bushings. Was happy then a few sessions in (including a slam) it all felt too loose. So rather than tighten them up I just changed back to Indys with 92a conicals

https://imgur.com/a/TopGZnv

Conicals just look better don't they.

Ant

« Reply #705 on: December 21, 2023, 03:21:49 AM »

They do, and they actually work properly. My kid has red barrel ones on her deck, the nut isn't even flush and they feel too stiff for me.

rikki

• Rep: 284
« Reply #706 on: December 21, 2023, 07:03:13 AM »
I really like the Indy blue 92 barrels. A solid feel, actually not unlike Ventures with the stock purple bushings, which I also like a lot.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #707 on: December 21, 2023, 02:32:54 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Funny how much you get used to how certain trucks look, especially with specific bushings, eg Thunder conical, Venture cylinder, Ace cylinder, but I always run conical in my Indy trucks too, so this just looks normal to me, even though I deal with enough sets of Indy with stock bushings that it doesn't matter either way when not on a board.

Some people were saying the conical shaped 92 and 94 are really hard to get now, but I still seem to see a few around.

Anyone struggle to get specific bushings they want, but just cannot find anymore?

Obijuan91

« Reply #708 on: December 21, 2023, 05:51:14 PM »
Indy’s blue 92 with a washer under em on some royals, solid.

Kaydubbb

• Rep: 20
« Reply #709 on: December 21, 2023, 11:27:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Funny how much you get used to how certain trucks look, especially with specific bushings, eg Thunder conical, Venture cylinder, Ace cylinder, but I always run conical in my Indy trucks too, so this just looks normal to me, even though I deal with enough sets of Indy with stock bushings that it doesn't matter either way when not on a board.

Some people were saying the conical shaped 92 and 94 are really hard to get now, but I still seem to see a few around.

Anyone struggle to get specific bushings they want, but just cannot find anymore?

I want the DLX tack and supply bushings, can't find them anywhere here in AUS anymore. I emailed DLX about it and they said they are working on a new bushing to hopefully release soon.

Edit: I just reread the email and it's not a new bushing but a revamp of the tack and supply ones. "They're not quite market ready yet" is what was said.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #710 on: December 22, 2023, 01:00:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I want the DLX tack and supply bushings, can't find them anywhere here in AUS anymore. I emailed DLX about it and they said they are working on a new bushing to hopefully release soon.

Edit: I just reread the email and it's not a new bushing but a revamp of the tack and supply ones. "They're not quite market ready yet" is what was said.

Sometimes these things take longer than planned, but at least something is in the works.

I do actually wonder if those Venture low head (loose kit) were a market test, because they could have been a good option to complement the Thunder bushing range, the Thunders in conical and the Venture bushings in cylinder shape in all the duro options that Thunder has - 90, 94, 95, 97, 100 etc.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 216
  • sup dog
« Reply #711 on: December 23, 2023, 08:46:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Wait really? Have you heard only outside the US or hard to get in the US as well?

I JUST order some conical 92 blues ;D I can’t wait to get my normal looking Indy’s back!
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Mulldrifter

« Reply #712 on: December 23, 2023, 10:29:04 AM »
remember the indy repair kit in a spare box ?
never buy those, even for gifts ... the bushings and pivots cups are hard plastic shits, not like normal ones. they are just garbage.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #713 on: December 23, 2023, 02:45:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Wait really? Have you heard only outside the US or hard to get in the US as well?

I JUST order some conical 92 blues ;D I can’t wait to get my normal looking Indy’s back!

I think it comes down to what shops order, or even what distributors bring in to said country or area, but some bushings definitely seem harder to get hold of right now.

Maybe USA is well stocked or just some places only get the cylinder bushings now and not the conical as well - too many options and shops don't want to have stock sitting around, etc.

Not a worry either way really, as long as you can track down what you want, cause those things are not going anywhere and are still best sellers, both cylinder and conical both sell well in the 90, 92 and 94 options, but in 78 (white) 96 (yellow) and maybe even 88 (red) they only come out in cylinder, maybe red still in conical or these ones I have might be old stock only.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 216
  • sup dog
« Reply #714 on: December 23, 2023, 03:19:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think it comes down to what shops order, or even what distributors bring in to said country or area, but some bushings definitely seem harder to get hold of right now.

Maybe USA is well stocked or just some places only get the cylinder bushings now and not the conical as well - too many options and shops don't want to have stock sitting around, etc.

Not a worry either way really, as long as you can track down what you want, cause those things are not going anywhere and are still best sellers, both cylinder and conical both sell well in the 90, 92 and 94 options, but in 78 (white) 96 (yellow) and maybe even 88 (red) they only come out in cylinder, maybe red still in conical or these ones I have might be old stock only.
Ah cool thanks.

the Whites in conical seem like great ankle breakers ;D
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #715 on: December 23, 2023, 05:11:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Ah cool thanks.

Red still come in both, I see on NHS site anyway.

https://nhsskatedirect.com/collections/independent-trucks-cushions

78  super soft / white - cylinder only
88  soft / red - cylinder / conical
90  medium / orange - cylinder / conical
92  medium hard / blue - cylinder / conical
94  hard / black - cylinder / conical
96  super hard / yellow - cylinder only

That is the breakdown of all options in normal Indy bushings.

They also have the taller ones for Stage 4 trucks too.

* I didn't notice it before, but the blue ones are the most popular as well.

Obijuan91

« Reply #716 on: December 28, 2023, 05:09:47 PM »
Just for shits and giggles, anyone know the hardness of tensor alloy bushings? Them things are conical but don’t feel like they turn much?

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #717 on: December 28, 2023, 06:46:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Ah cool thanks.

Indy whites sanded to conical and sanded lower are perfect🤌

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #718 on: December 28, 2023, 07:05:07 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
lol, just realized this is the bushing thread. Gotta really read the title.

I’m still uses Indy and Ace Hard in my 159s. They support my 250lbs nicely.

At least your not being not stoked and crying in the stoked thread.

Like me
(A)pl(E)

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #719 on: December 31, 2023, 01:22:00 PM »
Just for shits and giggles, anyone know the hardness of tensor alloy bushings? Them things are conical but don’t feel like they turn much?

They say they are all 90 duro, but the fact that Tensor trucks don't turn as much as some other more well known and used brands make me think it is not so much the bushings, as it is the trucks themselves.

I had a roll on a board with Tensors on it the other day and the turn in the trucks was less than my usual Indy ride.