Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50457 times)

funeral_tuxedo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #210 on: August 17, 2021, 01:41:43 PM »
I have a few setups going right now so I wanted to try out my new Riptide stuff on an old pair of Indys - pivot cups and some 84a street cones. I'll do a more in-depth review once I've skated them more but damn they feel so responsive. I can do a full lean over so I've got all-the-way-wheelbite and it doesn't crack our blow out the bushings. When I was screwing down the kingpin nut I noticed the top bushing looked like it was getting squeezed all to hell but I took it out to examine it and it wasn't warped or damaged or anything the bushings just have a weird rounded conical design. The bushings are so nice and springy so far. But I also have some aftermarket Indy bushings and some Bones hard and mediums.
I didn't notice any real difference from the aftermarket pivot cups but that might be because of how interesting the new bushings feel. Or maybe a good pivot cup is something you don't not at all?

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 62
« Reply #211 on: August 17, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Squeaking should go away (you could also try flipping the bottoms over...I use flat washers against the 'flat' side (not the rounded lip side) of all my indy bushings and no squeaks.
[close]

Hmm, maybe I should adjust them once more.. trying to get rid of madness and to converge into a consistent setup, starting to feel I'm close already.

When installed the aftermarkets, I noticed that stock bushings were laid as you described. Maybe it does make a difference after all... Madness is behind the corner.

Update: flipped the bottoms, squeaking gone. Now, time to stop touching the kingpin area until force majeure!

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 492
« Reply #212 on: August 18, 2021, 12:49:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Stock Indy bushings > all
[close]
Aftermarket Indy orange > Stock Indy bushings
truth

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #213 on: August 18, 2021, 08:09:22 AM »
I have a few setups going right now so I wanted to try out my new Riptide stuff on an old pair of Indys - pivot cups and some 84a street cones. I'll do a more in-depth review once I've skated them more but damn they feel so responsive. I can do a full lean over so I've got all-the-way-wheelbite and it doesn't crack our blow out the bushings. When I was screwing down the kingpin nut I noticed the top bushing looked like it was getting squeezed all to hell but I took it out to examine it and it wasn't warped or damaged or anything the bushings just have a weird rounded conical design. The bushings are so nice and springy so far. But I also have some aftermarket Indy bushings and some Bones hard and mediums.
I didn't notice any real difference from the aftermarket pivot cups but that might be because of how interesting the new bushings feel. Or maybe a good pivot cup is something you don't not at all?

Is this the small cone on top and bottom?

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #214 on: August 18, 2021, 09:10:33 AM »
I had to change my bushings - Bones HC hards on Indys - because they were crushed and the board did not roll straight anymore. I ran them almost flush with one thread of the kingpin showing and had that surfy turn. I got really comfortable on the set up and finally had kickflips on lock.

I now put in a fresh set of the exact same bushings and they are hella stiff. I have to run them much looser than before but still don‘t get the same surfy turn I was used  to. It also has an impact on my kickflips, I still can do them but less consistent and have to relearn/readjust, which sucks.

Anyone experienced that, are there differences in batches or did I get an old set or something?

Tl;dr: New set of Bones HC bushings is much stiffer than the previous set of the same brand.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #215 on: August 18, 2021, 04:17:04 PM »

venture 5.6 hollows
indy standard tops 78a
indy conical bottoms 88a
flat washers top and bottom
riptide pivot cups

super surfy and responsive but still stable during the set up. the rebound isnt great but im yet to try tricks that need it. on the fence if i should be running both super softs but i might never find out, feels the right amount of loose with a flush nut imo
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #216 on: August 18, 2021, 04:31:11 PM »

venture 5.6 hollows
indy standard tops 78a
indy conical bottoms 88a
riptide pivot cups

super surfy and responsive but still stable during the set up. the rebound isnt great but im yet to try tricks that need it. on the fence if i should be running both super softs but i might never find out, feels the right amount of loose with a flush nut imo

Those my gold forged plates? 8)

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #217 on: August 18, 2021, 06:33:26 PM »
Expand Quote

venture 5.6 hollows
indy standard tops 78a
indy conical bottoms 88a
riptide pivot cups

[close]

Those my gold forged plates? 8)
yessirski
goes perfectly with the yellow graphic
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LebowskisRug

« Reply #218 on: August 19, 2021, 12:00:52 AM »
Is the logic the harder bottom increases stability at the center? I always assumed Ace did soft bottom/harder top because you get that initial surf that gets much harder towards the deep end of the turn as the hanger has to pull against the harder bushing.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #219 on: August 19, 2021, 08:02:50 AM »
Is the logic the harder bottom increases stability at the center? I always assumed Ace did soft bottom/harder top because you get that initial surf that gets much harder towards the deep end of the turn as the hanger has to pull against the harder bushing.

Also curious about this. Pros cons etc

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #220 on: August 19, 2021, 08:04:16 AM »
thats the idea but with a harder conical bottom its easier to break into a turn than a softer barrel. not sure if i prefer it but time will tell

LebowskisRug

« Reply #221 on: August 19, 2021, 01:44:50 PM »
So science

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #222 on: August 19, 2021, 03:20:54 PM »
i dont own a lab coat but yeah

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #223 on: August 19, 2021, 04:12:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A street cone on bottom and short street cone on top. Both Krank.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #224 on: August 19, 2021, 05:19:22 PM »
I had to replace my Bones HC bushings (hard ones) today because they were crushed and the board didn't roll straight anymore. I had them in for quite some time so no complaints on that. Not looking forward to the clicking of the new ones until they're broken in. I was debating for a while whether to put some blue conical Indy aftermarket bottom bushings in but did not have the courage.
Maybe try the 94a black Indy hards? I stopped using the Bones hard and switched to the 94a blacks and for me they feel like stocks but for my final heaviest form. Do note that just like stocks you gotta break in for about a half an hour. They start softer and firm up.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #225 on: August 19, 2021, 05:30:56 PM »
I'm some 94-95a hards. I might fuck around with a mixture of mediums and hard but I use to wheel bite all the time on stock bushings
The chillest1

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #226 on: August 19, 2021, 05:44:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

contemplated trying out a short barrel/cone combo but $20 for a "set" of bushings is a bit overkill for me. any willing guinea pigs?

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • old and in the way
« Reply #227 on: August 19, 2021, 05:49:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
contemplated trying out a short barrel/cone combo but $20 for a "set" of bushings is a bit overkill for me. any willing guinea pigs?

@off I think they might have something else like that for less if you search their website by truck brand you'll get all the options. *edit - you can email Tracey at Riptide for help:
[email protected]
It's a confusing process piecing different bushing sets together but they're really helpful and there is likely a barrel bottom coned top set ready-to-go
good luck!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 06:20:46 AM by funeral_tuxedo »

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #228 on: August 19, 2021, 05:57:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
OK they're terrible. won't work and you will hate them.

But really, just like the pivot cups, they're next level nice. You can tell they use really good materials. I spent a bag trying to get something close to the Thunder 95a rebuild kit when those were out of stock everywhere for most of the year. For reference, I was riding Bones hard, nut flush in Indys and I had some 97a Thunder aftermarkets in a set of Thunders that felt stiffer than the listed duro. I first tried the APS cone combo at 95 but found them to be so soft that I had to have two threads exposed. Next I bought some barrel bottoms in the same duro and also a set of the Krank conical in 96a. The barrels didn't change much and I was still biting but the 96a were perfect. They are also much surfier than the Bones hard which is what I was going for. Would I buy them again? Yeah probably. Would I have bought them if there wasn't a gear shortage? I dunno but perhaps not. I was put off by the price too but my madness is mostly bushing related so I figured I'd take one for the big boys team.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #229 on: August 20, 2021, 01:48:33 AM »
Expand Quote
I had to replace my Bones HC bushings (hard ones) today because they were crushed and the board didn't roll straight anymore. I had them in for quite some time so no complaints on that. Not looking forward to the clicking of the new ones until they're broken in. I was debating for a while whether to put some blue conical Indy aftermarket bottom bushings in but did not have the courage.
[close]
Maybe try the 94a black Indy hards? I stopped using the Bones hard and switched to the 94a blacks and for me they feel like stocks but for my final heaviest form. Do note that just like stocks you gotta break in for about a half an hour. They start softer and firm up.

Cheers bro, I‘ll give the bones one more chance today but if I am not happy, I shall put in the conical blue Indy aftermarkets, bottoms only at first…

I hesitate to start experimenting tho, out of fear that I might succumb to gear madness and spend the rest of my days in the truck set up thread.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #230 on: August 20, 2021, 01:04:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Cheers bro, I‘ll give the bones one more chance today but if I am not happy, I shall put in the conical blue Indy aftermarkets, bottoms only at first…

I hesitate to start experimenting tho, out of fear that I might succumb to gear madness and spend the rest of my days in the truck set up thread.

It totally depends what you want from your trucks.

I wanted deep, quick turns and that my hanger goes back to center quickly and a bit more stability, so I put harder bushings on top. But maybe I am totally wrong and the harder bushings belong to the bottom?
IG: @flowterspace

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Get bent
« Reply #231 on: August 20, 2021, 03:46:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’ll let you know, I’m gonna grab mixed set too, I’m over my stock venture bushings, been riding these particular trucks for at least two years, and my shit is still favoring, prolly get a soft/med barrel, and a med/hard short street cone, wanted a surfy ride that still rebounded back quicker, keep ya updated
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #232 on: August 20, 2021, 07:02:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

It totally depends what you want from your trucks.

I wanted deep, quick turns and that my hanger goes back to center quickly and a bit more stability, so I put harder bushings on top. But maybe I am totally wrong and the harder bushings belong to the bottom?

You are correct:

Harder top/soft bottom will have better rebound back to center (hard top bushing) yet still turn (soft bottom); this is what ACE does.

A Harder bottom and softer top has the opposite effect, you get more stability / less turn (hard bottom) and a less snappy return to center.

If ishod can rock two top thunder bushings in thunders, it doesn't matter which you prefer as long as it feels good.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 09:02:24 AM by Xen »

LebowskisRug

« Reply #233 on: August 20, 2021, 10:30:14 PM »
i dont own a lab coat but yeah
I was completely joking, this stuff is interesting to me otherwise I wouldn’t be in these threads. After finding my Goldilocks I’m too timid to try shit anymore.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: August 20, 2021, 11:43:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I’ll let you know, I’m gonna grab mixed set too, I’m over my stock venture bushings, been riding these particular trucks for at least two years, and my shit is still favoring, prolly get a soft/med barrel, and a med/hard short street cone, wanted a surfy ride that still rebounded back quicker, keep ya updated

I cannot believe I just placed a $50 bushing order. This thread…

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Get bent
« Reply #235 on: August 21, 2021, 06:40:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Ha right behind you brother, can’t believe it’s come to this, I don’t wanna look at the wheel thread
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #236 on: August 21, 2021, 12:24:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ha right behind you brother, can’t believe it’s come to this, I don’t wanna look at the wheel thread

Haha, been there, done that.

munchbox

• SLAP Pal
  • like….? brunch
« Reply #237 on: August 21, 2021, 05:04:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

hope yall dont mind cashback in gnars

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #238 on: August 22, 2021, 01:05:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
hope yall dont mind cashback in gnars

Much appreciated, though now you have made impulse buying expendable skate gear even more attractive!

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #239 on: August 22, 2021, 02:34:10 PM »
Ace classic bushings for life. In any brand truck, doesn't matter, makes everything better. Only issue is sizing, some (maybe most) trucks like a low version top and normal bottom. They do compress slightly over time and take a while to fully break in, so you may have to tighten up eventually, but they are extremely durable.

How are the new Ace AF1 bushings? I was not happy to see that (according to the ads) they are different than classics, no more dual-duro, and harder. Are they the same urethane at least? The classic bushings have a much more rubbery feel as opposed to plasticy like every one else. Looking forward to trying them eventually, but really hope I can get a couple more classic sets so I have a lifetime supply.