Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50684 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #240 on: August 23, 2021, 09:07:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have a few setups going right now so I wanted to try out my new Riptide stuff on an old pair of Indys - pivot cups and some 84a street cones. I'll do a more in-depth review once I've skated them more but damn they feel so responsive. I can do a full lean over so I've got all-the-way-wheelbite and it doesn't crack our blow out the bushings. When I was screwing down the kingpin nut I noticed the top bushing looked like it was getting squeezed all to hell but I took it out to examine it and it wasn't warped or damaged or anything the bushings just have a weird rounded conical design. The bushings are so nice and springy so far. But I also have some aftermarket Indy bushings and some Bones hard and mediums.
I didn't notice any real difference from the aftermarket pivot cups but that might be because of how interesting the new bushings feel. Or maybe a good pivot cup is something you don't not at all?

[close]

Is this the small cone on top and bottom?
[close]

A street cone on bottom and short street cone on top. Both Krank.
[close]
contemplated trying out a short barrel/cone combo but $20 for a "set" of bushings is a bit overkill for me. any willing guinea pigs?

I'm running the 87a Krank street cones, they're great. Worth 2x the cost of Indy conicals? Jury is still out.

Ace classic bushings for life. In any brand truck, doesn't matter, makes everything better. Only issue is sizing, some (maybe most) trucks like a low version top and normal bottom. They do compress slightly over time and take a while to fully break in, so you may have to tighten up eventually, but they are extremely durable.

Agree, they are fantastic in Ventures or Indys (Even Tensor) but you need that low top.

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 213
  • Get bent
« Reply #241 on: August 29, 2021, 09:34:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have a few setups going right now so I wanted to try out my new Riptide stuff on an old pair of Indys - pivot cups and some 84a street cones. I'll do a more in-depth review once I've skated them more but damn they feel so responsive. I can do a full lean over so I've got all-the-way-wheelbite and it doesn't crack our blow out the bushings. When I was screwing down the kingpin nut I noticed the top bushing looked like it was getting squeezed all to hell but I took it out to examine it and it wasn't warped or damaged or anything the bushings just have a weird rounded conical design. The bushings are so nice and springy so far. But I also have some aftermarket Indy bushings and some Bones hard and mediums.
I didn't notice any real difference from the aftermarket pivot cups but that might be because of how interesting the new bushings feel. Or maybe a good pivot cup is something you don't not at all?

[close]

Is this the small cone on top and bottom?
[close]

A street cone on bottom and short street cone on top. Both Krank.
[close]
contemplated trying out a short barrel/cone combo but $20 for a "set" of bushings is a bit overkill for me. any willing guinea pigs?
[close]

I’ll let you know, I’m gonna grab mixed set too, I’m over my stock venture bushings, been riding these particular trucks for at least two years, and my shit is still favoring, prolly get a soft/med barrel, and a med/hard short street cone, wanted a surfy ride that still rebounded back quicker, keep ya updated
[close]

I cannot believe I just placed a $50 bushing order. This thread…
[close]

Ha right behind you brother, can’t believe it’s come to this, I don’t wanna look at the wheel thread
[close]

Haha, been there, done that.
[close]
hope yall dont mind cashback in gnars

Ended up on the short street 90a, and a street barrel 87a, and grabbed some pivot cups too hopefully this will cure some of my gear madness, it’s been bad lately, bough a new twin tail ishod real, and some teardrop loopholes along with a 30 dollar bushing order, my girl is gonna be bummed, oh and some new pants and some new 1010s, yea super bummed
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #242 on: August 31, 2021, 05:58:26 AM »
Just got my Riptide bushings and pivot cups in, took it for a cruise last night, both before and after I switched them just to check it out, and it was like night and day, my venture bushings favored from day one, so I just got used to a board that went to the right, now my shit is centered, a little more surfy but just as stable if not more, highly recommended Riptide, my board doesn’t favor any longer and it just feels better, I got the white street barrels which are 87 I believe, and the green short street cones which is the 90, both Krank, which I also recommend, if you have an extra 30 bucks to spare and wanna turn cool hit them up
You want some queso?”

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2021, 02:24:22 PM »
I think I am tripping. Tried blue Indy cylinder bushings on Indy 169s a while ago, decided they were too easy too wheelbite for me, and ditched them after two or three sessions. Went through a whole lot of other options without much success. Now I’ve put them on the 169s Ti I got in the meantime and to my surprise they are pretty much perfect. Quick and easy turn in the beginning, with solid resistance before wheelbite. Still going to try the Riptide I ordered but glad to have finally found a replacement for Bones hard.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #244 on: September 01, 2021, 02:34:11 PM »
I think I am tripping. Tried blue Indy cylinder bushings on Indy 169s a while ago, decided they were too easy too wheelbite for me, and ditched them after two or three sessions. Went through a whole lot of other options without much success. Now I’ve put them on the 169s Ti I got in the meantime and to my surprise they are pretty much perfect. Quick and easy turn in the beginning, with solid resistance before wheelbite. Still going to try the Riptide I ordered but glad to have finally found a replacement for Bones hard.

Was it hot when you found the blue Indys too soft?  I love indy aftermarket bushings, but they seem temperature sensitive. Unsurprisingly, they thrive in SF-ish 6O-70*s.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #245 on: September 01, 2021, 11:02:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Was it hot when you found the blue Indys too soft?  I love indy aftermarket bushings, but they seem temperature sensitive. Unsurprisingly, they thrive in SF-ish 6O-70*s.

Temperatures have definitely dropped. Please don’t tell me I need different bushings for every season. Shit used to be so simple before I started caring about my setup.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 62
« Reply #246 on: September 02, 2021, 12:30:16 AM »
I found a sufficient solution for my truck madness - I took washers and bushings from my old Film 5.5 and after verifying the bottom bushing height, put them in my Indys. Very nice and sharp turn (they're conicals), loose enough for me with kingpin nut flush, interlocking bushing did not cause any harm, I'm happy. I dare to recommend trying this if people have this option. I believe the stock Film bushing are 91A.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #247 on: September 02, 2021, 04:40:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Temperatures have definitely dropped. Please don’t tell me I need different bushings for every season. Shit used to be so simple before I started caring about my setup.

I think that people have said Bones are not susceptible to heat or cold as much as other brands.  That said, I will usually not notice too much difference once they have warmed up from skating a bit, but I don't live in a place that has hot heat to snow cold, so can't really compare.

Some others will usually notice a couple of threads difference between having the nut down lower during summer compared to having it higher during winter.

I ride the Indy 92 with low heads and think they are all I ever need, but that is just me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #248 on: September 03, 2021, 01:57:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I think that people have said Bones are not susceptible to heat or cold as much as other brands.  That said, I will usually not notice too much difference once they have warmed up from skating a bit, but I don't live in a place that has hot heat to snow cold, so can't really compare.

Some others will usually notice a couple of threads difference between having the nut down lower during summer compared to having it higher during winter.

I ride the Indy 92 with low heads and think they are all I ever need, but that is just me.

When I didn't like them tightening down wouldn't help, they simply didn't have enough resistance to prevent flat spots at the extremes of the turn. Completely different story now, exactly the right amount of resistance for me. Maybe a combination of temperatures, break in, and changed expectations. I think I have also lost some weight. In any case, hyped to have a good turn, minimal flat spots, and no squeaking or clicking again!

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #249 on: September 03, 2021, 08:11:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

When I didn't like them tightening down wouldn't help, they simply didn't have enough resistance to prevent flat spots at the extremes of the turn. Completely different story now, exactly the right amount of resistance for me. Maybe a combination of temperatures, break in, and changed expectations. I think I have also lost some weight. In any case, hyped to have a good turn, minimal flat spots, and no squeaking or clicking again!

Bushing madness. Old, 190lbs, modest transition and kerps, mostly wide boards and trucks, fwiw.  I’m sort of dreading fall because, like spring, it can be 40* one day and 80* the next.  Was running soft red Indys in the spring, and on cool days, they were rattle-janky on center and rock hard when turning. It almost felt like you’d tip and hit the bushing; very clunky.
 I can attest that bones are pretty temperature resistant, but I get sick of breaking them, and wish they had more options like bottom barrels. I’ve heard/read that mini logo uses the same formula, but they’re seemingly out of production since the Ronapocalypse.
I emailed RipTide in the spring, and they claim their formulas are temperature resistant. I’m leaning towards picking some up.

chrisskates808

« Reply #250 on: September 03, 2021, 12:42:35 PM »
Ace bushings but I cut both bottom to skate loose

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #251 on: September 03, 2021, 09:30:49 PM »

Bushing madness. Old, 190lbs, modest transition and kerps, mostly wide boards and trucks, fwiw.  I’m sort of dreading fall because, like spring, it can be 40* one day and 80* the next.  Was running soft red Indys in the spring, and on cool days, they were rattle-janky on center and rock hard when turning. It almost felt like you’d tip and hit the bushing; very clunky.
 I can attest that bones are pretty temperature resistant, but I get sick of breaking them, and wish they had more options like bottom barrels. I’ve heard/read that mini logo uses the same formula, but they’re seemingly out of production since the Ronapocalypse.
I emailed RipTide in the spring, and they claim their formulas are temperature resistant. I’m leaning towards picking some up.

Yes others have said they are all temp bushings too.

Also the red Indy 88s have always felt stiffer to me, oddly enough.

Both the stock and aftermarket orange have always had more turn, the aftermarket as they break in and the stock more so straight away but then firm up a bit.

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #252 on: September 03, 2021, 10:09:16 PM »

Both the stock and aftermarket orange have always had more turn, the aftermarket as they break in and the stock more so straight away but then firm up a bit.

Thanks for this, really thought I'm making it up when observed similar. Now I'm happy with Film bushings, but let's see, winter is on its way and two last winters it was obvious that Film hardens badly in low temperatures...

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #253 on: September 03, 2021, 10:37:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I live in Texas, it usually hot, I couldn’t imagine trucks turning differently because of the weather, that adds a whole new dynamic I didn’t even think about….. terrifying
You want some queso?”

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #254 on: September 04, 2021, 01:22:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You are making me feel much better about my recent RipTide impulse purchase. They still to be delivered, will report back when I get them.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Get bent
« Reply #255 on: September 04, 2021, 05:14:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

You are making me feel much better about my recent RipTide impulse purchase. They still to be delivered, will report back when I get them.

I got mine and I’m not turning back….well I mean I could turn back because the bushings are good, I am still breaking them in, but yea I really am enjoying them
You want some queso?”

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -60
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #256 on: September 05, 2021, 10:39:26 AM »
200lbs.

Ace classic 44
Stock everything including never tightening or loosing the kingpin nut since I got them.

Skate 99% curbs.

Best trucks I’ve ever skated bar none

mtndewsk8r19

• Rep: -11
« Reply #257 on: September 05, 2021, 12:41:13 PM »
Bones swiss ceramics. Idk if I'm just tripping but they make a really strange sound that bearings shouldn't make and my 1year old Bronson raws function better than these new ones

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 619
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #258 on: September 05, 2021, 12:45:45 PM »
Bones swiss ceramics. Idk if I'm just tripping but they make a really strange sound that bearings shouldn't make and my 1year old Bronson raws function better than these new ones

I guess all bearings make a strange sound if you use them as bushings. Bearings have a bad rebound, that's why you should put them inside your wheels and not between your trucks.

Just kidding, clean the bones swiss.
IG: @flowterspace

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #259 on: September 09, 2021, 06:39:34 PM »
I picked up some Indy 139s at a thrift store, and they had hard Bones bushings in them. So I then bought myself some Independent Red bushings and finally installed them today. What the hell? How are these harder to turn than stock orange medium duro bushings? I gave them a good hour of skating in ~70°f weather, assuming that they would break in after a bit, but they only got worse. I'm usually a stock bushings guy, and I figured the softer bushings might be better for a skinnier truck with less leverage at the ends, but this shit is absolutely unskateable.

I dug through a box and found enough mismatched old soft Bones bushings that I can ride this board again. Maybe I'll eventually spend a few more hours attempting to break in the red bushings, but as of now I consider them basically useless.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #260 on: September 09, 2021, 07:02:07 PM »
I picked up some Indy 139s at a thrift store, and they had hard Bones bushings in them. So I then bought myself some Independent Red bushings and finally installed them today. What the hell? How are these harder to turn than stock orange medium duro bushings? I gave them a good hour of skating in ~70°f weather, assuming that they would break in after a bit, but they only got worse. I'm usually a stock bushings guy, and I figured the softer bushings might be better for a skinnier truck with less leverage at the ends, but this shit is absolutely unskateable.

I dug through a box and found enough mismatched old soft Bones bushings that I can ride this board again. Maybe I'll eventually spend a few more hours attempting to break in the red bushings, but as of now I consider them basically useless.

They sure are weird - those red 88 aftermarkets, that is.

If you cut the tops down they actually skate really well, for what I like, which is a little firmer but have a lot more turn with the lower heads.

Sorry if I keep saying this a lot, but it definitely works for me, as well as many people trying my boards and finding that they still turn when you want to, but don't wheel bite half as much as softer bushings, even though I run my trucks loose enough to put wheel on wood on all four corners if I push down hard enough.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #261 on: September 09, 2021, 07:30:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They sure are weird - those red 88 aftermarkets, that is.

If you cut the tops down they actually skate really well, for what I like, which is a little firmer but have a lot more turn with the lower heads.

Sorry if I keep saying this a lot, but it definitely works for me, as well as many people trying my boards and finding that they still turn when you want to, but don't wheel bite half as much as softer bushings, even though I run my trucks loose enough to put wheel on wood on all four corners if I push down hard enough.

Yeah, maybe I'll guillotine them and see if they improves performance. I legitimately do not understand how an 88a bushing it harder than a 90a bushing, though
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Bongwater Mojito

« Reply #262 on: September 09, 2021, 08:07:34 PM »
Yeah, maybe I'll guillotine them and see if they improves performance. I legitimately do not understand how an 88a bushing it harder than a 90a bushing, though

Welcome to the club!

I've been happy using Film medium bushings (91A) in my Indys. Considering getting another set on ice for future, these were recycled from old trucks, so fully broken in.

If I ever use Indy red aftermarkets again, I'll definitely consider cutting the top a bit.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #263 on: September 09, 2021, 08:15:42 PM »
I've gotten into the habit of shaving just about every top bushing down (or getting low tops); the only ones I've not had the need to operate on are the 87a Venoms and so far they are perfect for me in Indy, Tensor and Thunders (tho a shave on thunders might help some).

Kevve

• Rep: 12
« Reply #264 on: September 12, 2021, 07:43:05 AM »
I've gotten into the habit of shaving just about every top bushing down (or getting low tops); the only ones I've not had the need to operate on are the 87a Venoms and so far they are perfect for me in Indy, Tensor and Thunders (tho a shave on thunders might help some).

Im thinking about trying venoms too before settling for bones. How are they in colder temps? Do they get harder as temperature drops?

Are u on shr or the standard formula btw?

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #265 on: September 13, 2021, 10:34:17 AM »
Green Venture bushings on my 5.8s finally gave out. Any suggestions on a replacement set? I ride my trucks on the looser side if that matters at all.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #266 on: September 13, 2021, 06:25:39 PM »
Green Venture bushings on my 5.8s finally gave out. Any suggestions on a replacement set? I ride my trucks on the looser side if that matters at all.

Were they stock, or were they something like Deluxe Supercush?

Either way, there are these in an assortment of duro / colour options, but I don't think the green 94 would equate to loose though.

This thread has good info:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88977.30

These. I hit up dlx about some cracked bushings and the dude over there sent me a fresh set of stock purples (a little hard for my taste but ok once broken in.) and the Clear 88du set of these. Fit was perfect and they are much softer and easier turning for a guy my size. (145 soaking wet)

I recommend them highly. Especially if you're looking to get your Ventures to turn, keep the same geometry and stay stable like a venture should...

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #267 on: September 13, 2021, 08:50:34 PM »
soft bones ones and theyre great!
going to try the soft dohdohs next
i like skating my trucks loose

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #268 on: September 14, 2021, 12:22:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Were they stock, or were they something like Deluxe Supercush?

Either way, there are these in an assortment of duro / colour options, but I don't think the green 94 would equate to loose though.

This thread has good info:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88977.30

Expand Quote

These. I hit up dlx about some cracked bushings and the dude over there sent me a fresh set of stock purples (a little hard for my taste but ok once broken in.) and the Clear 88du set of these. Fit was perfect and they are much softer and easier turning for a guy my size. (145 soaking wet)

I recommend them highly. Especially if you're looking to get your Ventures to turn, keep the same geometry and stay stable like a venture should...
[close]

Everyone seems to like the supercush bushings in ventures. I've tried two sets of the green ones and they are just wayyyyyy too tight. Could barely turn with the nut barely hanging on, had to put the stock purple bottom bushing back in. I don't ride loose trucks by any means, just stock purple in ventures, nut pretty much flush works good for me. I definitely way prefer stock over the green supercush, feels more responsive too. Maybe the softer ones are better?

I keep destroying my stock purple top bushings, they barely last me longer than a month so I put in some indy aftermarket blue top bushings in. A little tighter but so far so good and they should hold up better.

newguy

« Reply #269 on: September 14, 2021, 12:50:09 AM »
Medium bones for life. Seems like a lot of people really dislike them, but they’re perfect for loose skateboarding. People who skate the soft ones are something else… super sensitive bushings, hats off to them