Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50471 times)

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Get bent
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #270 on: September 14, 2021, 05:17:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Green Venture bushings on my 5.8s finally gave out. Any suggestions on a replacement set? I ride my trucks on the looser side if that matters at all.
[close]

Were they stock, or were they something like Deluxe Supercush?

Either way, there are these in an assortment of duro / colour options, but I don't think the green 94 would equate to loose though.

This thread has good info:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88977.30

Expand Quote

These. I hit up dlx about some cracked bushings and the dude over there sent me a fresh set of stock purples (a little hard for my taste but ok once broken in.) and the Clear 88du set of these. Fit was perfect and they are much softer and easier turning for a guy my size. (145 soaking wet)

I recommend them highly. Especially if you're looking to get your Ventures to turn, keep the same geometry and stay stable like a venture should...
[close]
[close]

Everyone seems to like the supercush bushings in ventures. I've tried two sets of the green ones and they are just wayyyyyy too tight. Could barely turn with the nut barely hanging on, had to put the stock purple bottom bushing back in. I don't ride loose trucks by any means, just stock purple in ventures, nut pretty much flush works good for me. I definitely way prefer stock over the green supercush, feels more responsive too. Maybe the softer ones are better?

I keep destroying my stock purple top bushings, they barely last me longer than a month so I put in some indy aftermarket blue top bushings in. A little tighter but so far so good and they should hold up better.

I used to ride the purple ones exclusively, I got some riptides and they are surprisingly good, but I think their duros are a bit harder than what we skateboarders are used to, i didn’t need to cut them down or anything, I’d definitely give them a shot if you got an extra 30 to spend, but the stock purples were always my favorite
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

IpathCats

« Reply #271 on: September 14, 2021, 05:52:51 AM »
Loose trucks, hard bushings, is the answer if you ride indy/ace. Shave them a bit if you need to. Really feel like this is the answer for most adult sized skaters. Unless you're looking for max palmer or daewon levels of loose, or some insane tightness. My setup has never felt more dialed.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #272 on: September 14, 2021, 07:51:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Green Venture bushings on my 5.8s finally gave out. Any suggestions on a replacement set? I ride my trucks on the looser side if that matters at all.
[close]

Either way, there are these in an assortment of duro / colour options, but I don't think the green 94 would equate to loose though.

Expand Quote

These. I hit up dlx about some cracked bushings and the dude over there sent me a fresh set of stock purples (a little hard for my taste but ok once broken in.) and the Clear 88du set of these. Fit was perfect and they are much softer and easier turning for a guy my size. (145 soaking wet)

I recommend them highly. Especially if you're looking to get your Ventures to turn, keep the same geometry and stay stable like a venture should...
[close]
seems like these might be the ones, gonna lurk that linked thread regardless. Thank you

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #273 on: September 14, 2021, 08:08:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Everyone seems to like the supercush bushings in ventures. I've tried two sets of the green ones and they are just wayyyyyy too tight. Could barely turn with the nut barely hanging on, had to put the stock purple bottom bushing back in. I don't ride loose trucks by any means, just stock purple in ventures, nut pretty much flush works good for me. I definitely way prefer stock over the green supercush, feels more responsive too. Maybe the softer ones are better?

I keep destroying my stock purple top bushings, they barely last me longer than a month so I put in some indy aftermarket blue top bushings in. A little tighter but so far so good and they should hold up better.

can vouch for softer supercush being better. the orange 90s are where it's at when it comes to replacing venture bushings if you aren't going back to stock or have an itch to scratch with really loose or tight trucks. they feel 'just right' with nut flush, at least for my tastes. i've also tried the greens and had the same issue you did, way too hard for me, no turn etc. hth

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 520
« Reply #274 on: September 14, 2021, 10:07:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

can vouch for softer supercush being better. the orange 90s are where it's at when it comes to replacing venture bushings if you aren't going back to stock or have an itch to scratch with really loose or tight trucks. they feel 'just right' with nut flush, at least for my tastes. i've also tried the greens and had the same issue you did, way too hard for me, no turn etc. hth

I see. Do you have any experience with the clear 88d ones? Good to know the orange ones are good but I just can't do orange bushings, look too much like indy stock ones which does my head in haha.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #275 on: September 14, 2021, 11:10:52 AM »
I know it's probably been discussed on the boards but my sleuthing skills suck. Flat washers. Any recommendations for what would fit a deluxe bushing near flush? I'm looking at the riptide ones and they seem pretty reasonable in price but just not sure on whether to go with the small or large.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #276 on: September 14, 2021, 11:44:14 AM »
I know it's probably been discussed on the boards but my sleuthing skills suck. Flat washers. Any recommendations for what would fit a deluxe bushing near flush? I'm looking at the riptide ones and they seem pretty reasonable in price but just not sure on whether to go with the small or large.

Small and if you’re running a barrel bushing the bottom one will fit. All 4 will also be the same size as a heads up.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #277 on: September 14, 2021, 11:47:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Small and if you’re running a barrel bushing the bottom one will fit. All 4 will also be the same size as a heads up.
Thank you my G

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #278 on: September 14, 2021, 12:14:49 PM »
I could be wrong about this but Riptide seems pretty flexible and down to help so if you requested flat washers instead of cups they'd probably substitute them for you
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: September 14, 2021, 12:20:52 PM »
I could be wrong about this but Riptide seems pretty flexible and down to help so if you requested flat washers instead of cups they'd probably substitute them for you
That sounds like some quality customer service if true. I just ordered a set of flat washers since im swapping my bushings to some of the Deluxe tacks but I would be willing to try some of the riptide bushings in the future.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 111
« Reply #280 on: September 14, 2021, 12:35:39 PM »
Medium bones for life. Seems like a lot of people really dislike them, but they’re perfect for loose skateboarding. People who skate the soft ones are something else… super sensitive bushings, hats off to them

just installed some bones mediums for the first time and gotta say im pretty stoked on them. its an uninteresting choice but how they feel when tightened just enough to keep the thing together is great and exactly what i prefer. nice amount of bounciness too

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #281 on: September 15, 2021, 01:13:51 AM »
182lbs, Indy 169 forged hollow, Indy Black 94a, like em medium tightness...work great, thank you

newguy

« Reply #282 on: September 15, 2021, 01:22:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Medium bones for life. Seems like a lot of people really dislike them, but they’re perfect for loose skateboarding. People who skate the soft ones are something else… super sensitive bushings, hats off to them
[close]

just installed some bones mediums for the first time and gotta say im pretty stoked on them. its an uninteresting choice but how they feel when tightened just enough to keep the thing together is great and exactly what i prefer. nice amount of bounciness too

Yeah they’re really bland bushings but they have the perfect mix of loose yet controllable feel. Plus they’re rather cheap, really a great choice if you’re on a budget.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #283 on: September 20, 2021, 12:14:34 PM »
any input appreciated:

got a 4 week old pair of indys, and since week 1 or 2, the stock bushings tend to favor one side of the deck. it steers in one direction when there is no weight on the board and i can feel one side beeing more tense/harder than the other when i jump on. luckily this goes away after a couple of pushes. riding a twin tail and medium/loose trucks. had ventures+bones medium before, but had the feeling the bones gave out after a couple of months.

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 212
  • Get bent
« Reply #284 on: September 20, 2021, 12:59:55 PM »

Oh most definitely, they are super active in regards to customer service, I purchased some bushings and requested paperless shipping she was quick to respond about not being able to be completely paper free in some regards and apologized, which they didn’t need to do, but it was appreciated, I’m sure they would be able to accommodate changing out flat washers for cupped ones.
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #285 on: September 20, 2021, 06:10:24 PM »
any input appreciated:

got a 4 week old pair of indys, and since week 1 or 2, the stock bushings tend to favor one side of the deck. it steers in one direction when there is no weight on the board and i can feel one side beeing more tense/harder than the other when i jump on. luckily this goes away after a couple of pushes. riding a twin tail and medium/loose trucks. had ventures+bones medium before, but had the feeling the bones gave out after a couple of months.

The first questions I usually have are related to wear in time and how much you tightened the trucks down right away.

The other thing to note is the board will usually always lean to one side after heavy landings or pressure on the heel side with new bushings too.

Just checked over old answers, and this thread is good, which might also help:

indy stock bushing problem?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118438.0

In particular this post (which might not be 100% relevant to this, but could help):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118438.msg3635139#msg3635139

The most common issue is tightening things up too much too quickly, which means the bushings will not have time to wear in and will not really bounce back.

Stock bushings are 90 duro and are very soft feeling right away, but do firm up / harden up somewhat as they wear in, but as said they can take a bit of time to do that.  If you are not so comfortable riding softer bushings or looser trucks, some after market bushings might work better.

Depending on what you had on your previous board, even older stock bushings from any other brand truck might work to put those straight on your new one, if you are wanting to get out there right away and not spend a few sessions just carving around, even on flat, to wear them in.

The current stock bushings on Indy trucks are actually really good (especially compared to what they used to be), with minimal issues from the people who have skated them and worn them in nicely, but as said, if you are more used to tighter trucks or need harder bushings, or just don't like the feel of them, by all means get other bushings and try them or explore other options if you have other trucks or bushings sitting around.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1326
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #286 on: September 20, 2021, 07:42:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh most definitely, they are super active in regards to customer service, I purchased some bushings and requested paperless shipping she was quick to respond about not being able to be completely paper free in some regards and apologized, which they didn’t need to do, but it was appreciated, I’m sure they would be able to accommodate changing out flat washers for cupped ones.
I remembered later that it's a drop down so choice is built in to whatever you wind up with.

So since the AF1s are out and Classics have been going on crazy sales, I decided to try Ace again and picked up a set of Classic 44s on the cheap. I once had a pair years ago on a set up that got stolen a few days after I put it together but I wasn't really sure if I was feeling them. My biggest complaint was that any other bushings other than Ace seemed to be much shorter than the stock. I'm heavy so Ace with their averaged duro of 88 aren't gonna do it for me. Krux, Indy, Bones and Riptide barrel/short cone were all decently shorter than stock Ace by at least a couple mm. I would either have to have them nut flush and too loose or crank them down with at least two threads showing to have them stable.

I dug though my parts and found that Riptide bottom cones and barrels were pretty much exactly the right height and shape. Bottom cone has a bigger straight edge where the bushing sits in the truck but the Ace's have them as well. I just bought a new set from Riptide and got a flat washer just cause. What if they're too high and I'm just imagining the match? How would they work or not work? I have a bunch of Bones hards if this doesn't work out but it seemed like it might. I always knew it would come down to grommet madness.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #287 on: September 21, 2021, 11:12:43 AM »
Expand Quote
any input appreciated:

[close]

The first questions I usually have are related to wear in time and how much you tightened the trucks down right away.

The other thing to note is the board will usually always lean to one side after heavy landings or pressure on the heel side with new bushings too.

Just checked over old answers, and this thread is good, which might also help:

indy stock bushing problem?

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118438.0

In particular this post (which might not be 100% relevant to this, but could help):

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=118438.msg3635139#msg3635139

The most common issue is tightening things up too much too quickly, which means the bushings will not have time to wear in and will not really bounce back.

Stock bushings are 90 duro and are very soft feeling right away, but do firm up / harden up somewhat as they wear in, but as said they can take a bit of time to do that.  If you are not so comfortable riding softer bushings or looser trucks, some after market bushings might work better.

Depending on what you had on your previous board, even older stock bushings from any other brand truck might work to put those straight on your new one, if you are wanting to get out there right away and not spend a few sessions just carving around, even on flat, to wear them in.

The current stock bushings on Indy trucks are actually really good (especially compared to what they used to be), with minimal issues from the people who have skated them and worn them in nicely, but as said, if you are more used to tighter trucks or need harder bushings, or just don't like the feel of them, by all means get other bushings and try them or explore other options if you have other trucks or bushings sitting around.

ok, damn, thanks for all the info!
maybe i over tightened the trucks when i got them because they were ridiculously loose. could almost wiggle them with the deck. didnt have the "steering in one direction"-problem with stock venture and bones medium bushings, but i dont care about that too much obviously. gonna watch how the bushings behave the next month + maybe replace em with indy bushings if it still feels annoying.
thanks again.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 111
« Reply #288 on: September 25, 2021, 02:18:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Update: My front truck's bottom(top?) bushing exploded already. super bummed. Motivation to get bones was due to riding bones wheels in the past and bearings right now and always been happy with how durable and long lasting they are. I was able to ride my thunder stock bushings for a couple years before they needed replacement, i only got two weeks of sessions in these

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2021, 07:24:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Update: My front truck's bottom(top?) bushing exploded already. super bummed. Motivation to get bones was due to riding bones wheels in the past and bearings right now and always been happy with how durable and long lasting they are. I was able to ride my thunder stock bushings for a couple years before they needed replacement, i only got two weeks of sessions in these

Bones products really are top quality, everything that is apart from the bushings.

I wonder if you took them back for a warranty, what they would say, as I have heard some people get replacements and others get nothing.

Might be worth a shot, if it is still within 30 days, which is the warranty period for most things.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #290 on: September 29, 2021, 10:32:30 AM »
I got a set of Indy conicals for a new set of 149s. I put them on and couldn't get the nut flush without them being insanely tight, and when I measured them they were 14mm high as opposed to the stocks, which were 12mm.

Has this always been the case? Does Indy do this so people will run them without a bottom washer? I swear I've gotten conical bushings before and didn't run into this.

RottenToTheCore

• Rep: 10
« Reply #291 on: September 29, 2021, 10:36:10 AM »
I got a set of Indy conicals for a new set of 149s. I put them on and couldn't get the nut flush without them being insanely tight, and when I measured them they were 14mm high as opposed to the stocks, which were 12mm.

Has this always been the case? Does Indy do this so people will run them without a bottom washer? I swear I've gotten conical bushings before and didn't run into this.

Had the exact same issue with my white indie cylinders

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #292 on: September 29, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »
Haven't had Ventures for a good 20 years.  Stoked on their stock bushings and how they've held up.   They were perfect from the get go.  I was sick of Indy's not having ANY threads left on the kingpin bolt to loosen the trucks with the stock bushings.  Did the bones swap out thing for years.   Sick of paying for the extra stuff and hope the Venture bushings hold up!

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: September 29, 2021, 10:28:50 PM »

Which ones, as in hardness / colour?  (with pics if at all possible)

Are they still in the old cross logo packaging or the new diamond logo packaging, as I have not seen any in the newer packaging, so could have changed with those ones or something.

Never really had any issues with any I have had or sold in the shop, but I know some people get one thing and expect something else.

That said, the "soft" red 88s have definitely felt harder than the "medium" orange 90s (both stock and aftermarket), as others have said before.

For the people who have wanted harder bushings / tighter trucks, the black hard and the yellow super hard often don't feel that hard all up, but I have never understood people who don't want to turn at all.

For people who still want them a lot looser than what they are, (even for the white super soft 78s) I have always cut a mm or so from the top bushing and it has made all the difference and people have been happy with them.

My setups always can push to wheelbite on all four wheels, but I am used to not leaning quite that far over, so although I would say my trucks are more medium, others say they are loose.  Personal opinion can vary greatly.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #294 on: September 29, 2021, 11:15:14 PM »
Indy aftermarket conical bottoms are indeed taller than stock.

I’m back on bones meds, tired of fucking around with different shit.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #295 on: September 30, 2021, 06:42:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are they still in the old cross logo packaging or the new diamond logo packaging, as I have not seen any in the newer packaging, so could have changed with those ones or something.

Never really had any issues with any I have had or sold in the shop, but I know some people get one thing and expect something else.

That said, the "soft" red 88s have definitely felt harder than the "medium" orange 90s (both stock and aftermarket), as others have said before.

For the people who have wanted harder bushings / tighter trucks, the black hard and the yellow super hard often don't feel that hard all up, but I have never understood people who don't want to turn at all.

For people who still want them a lot looser than what they are, (even for the white super soft 78s) I have always cut a mm or so from the top bushing and it has made all the difference and people have been happy with them.

My setups always can push to wheelbite on all four wheels, but I am used to not leaning quite that far over, so although I would say my trucks are more medium, others say they are loose.  Personal opinion can vary greatly.

Cross logo

Stock at just a hair over 12mm

Conical at 14mm

Next to each other for comparison

I know it seems like nerdy hair splitting, but it 100% makes a difference. FWIW, I have had a few sets of the blue aftermarkets (both conical and barrel) and have never ran into this issue before.

Also, I have to politely disagree with your assessment that the yellows don't feel hard at all. I tried them and and it make my board tictac tight. Even after trying to stick with them for weeks I had to take the L and put my old blues back in.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #296 on: September 30, 2021, 10:02:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Cross logo

Conical at 14mm

I know it seems like nerdy hair splitting, but it 100% makes a difference. FWIW, I have had a few sets of the blue aftermarkets (both conical and barrel) and have never ran into this issue before.

Also, I have to politely disagree with your assessment that the yellows don't feel hard at all. I tried them and and it make my board tictac tight. Even after trying to stick with them for weeks I had to take the L and put my old blues back in.

I've always noted they were taller and that is why I've always said the Indy aftermarket conicals work so well in Thunders! They're the closest you are are going to get to stock + you get better rebound and more duro options.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #297 on: September 30, 2021, 10:09:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Damn, son. I'd email them for a replacement sent; I've used BB for years and never have I seen a set blow out like that; they look damn near new as well.

I skate both softs and meds because I am too lazy to wait for meds to break in :P

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #298 on: September 30, 2021, 10:12:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Cross logo

Conical at 14mm

[close]

I've always noted they were taller and that is why I've always said the Indy aftermarket conicals work so well in Thunders! They're the closest you are are going to get to stock + you get better rebound and more duro options.

Makes sense with the thunders for sure. I just never noticed this before with my blue barrels (usual indy replacement bushing of choice). I just took it for a spin with the stock barrel bottoms and the hard tops and think I am going to stick with that.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #299 on: October 02, 2021, 04:14:19 AM »

I actually agree with you - others who wanted ultra tight trucks are the ones who disagree.

For as long as I can remember, I have used the 92 low heads (red bushings that came in the white cardboard box, which are about the same as the blue current bushings) but going by what others have said, re the harder bushings, which are way too hard for my liking, others have said they are not hard enough, which I always found weird - that was my take on them.

That is interesting to see the different heights too, as all the normal bushings I have looked at (mainly the white, red and orange of the current stock) all seemed like the same heights.

Thanks for putting up such good pics of them too.

Much appreciated!