Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50427 times)

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1128
  • What, me worry?
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #330 on: March 18, 2022, 09:02:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone tried Indy black cylinder 94a with a medium top bushing? I want my indys to be more stable during lots of load (like going from a steep bank to flat at higher speed)
[close]

I tried this combination and didn’t like it. Very poor rebound and the most annoying squeaking. The blue 92A cylinder bushings top and bottom are more responsive and stable at the same time.

After I stopped using Bones I tried many combinations of Indy and Riptide, nothing came close to the blue cylinders. I can have a good session with a fresh set, and once broken in they are perfect.

By the way, during this process I also started using Riptide pivot cups. They definitely change things, no squeaking and improved rebound. Felt a bit ridiculous to order $14 pieces of plastic from overseas but well worth it in retrospect.
[close]

Second this. I ran the Black Indy Hard barrel bushing boardside and orange conical Indy bushing roadside for a bit and aside from fun halloween colors, didn't do much for me.

The Indy Blue Conical bushings are the best replacements if the stock orange Indy bushings aren't working for you imo.
[close]

Blue aftermarket Indy bushings are great, I really like them. I currently run Ace low bushings in my 149s but if they were to stop making those I would rock with the blues for sure.

Also, it has been said before but FWIW: If you're going to do dual duro, the softer bushing should be on the bottom(board side) and the hard should be on top (road side). That will give you more bang for your buck as far as ease of turn with improved stability/return to center. I don't think there are any advantages to having it flipped with the harder bushing on the bottom, though I would love to hear about it if there are.

Good to know. I mostly just swapped the road side bushing to the orange because the black hard bushing completely blew out. I don't think I took enough time to break them in properly.

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #331 on: March 18, 2022, 09:52:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone tried Indy black cylinder 94a with a medium top bushing? I want my indys to be more stable during lots of load (like going from a steep bank to flat at higher speed)
[close]

I tried this combination and didn’t like it. Very poor rebound and the most annoying squeaking. The blue 92A cylinder bushings top and bottom are more responsive and stable at the same time.

After I stopped using Bones I tried many combinations of Indy and Riptide, nothing came close to the blue cylinders. I can have a good session with a fresh set, and once broken in they are perfect.

By the way, during this process I also started using Riptide pivot cups. They definitely change things, no squeaking and improved rebound. Felt a bit ridiculous to order $14 pieces of plastic from overseas but well worth it in retrospect.
[close]

Second this. I ran the Black Indy Hard barrel bushing boardside and orange conical Indy bushing roadside for a bit and aside from fun halloween colors, didn't do much for me.

The Indy Blue Conical bushings are the best replacements if the stock orange Indy bushings aren't working for you imo.
[close]

Blue aftermarket Indy bushings are great, I really like them. I currently run Ace low bushings in my 149s but if they were to stop making those I would rock with the blues for sure.

Also, it has been said before but FWIW: If you're going to do dual duro, the softer bushing should be on the bottom(board side) and the hard should be on top (road side). That will give you more bang for your buck as far as ease of turn with improved stability/return to center. I don't think there are any advantages to having it flipped with the harder bushing on the bottom, though I would love to hear about it if there are.
[close]

Good to know. I mostly just swapped the road side bushing to the orange because the black hard bushing completely blew out. I don't think I took enough time to break them in properly.

I ordered a few indy afetermarket bushing sets to experiment. Currently 92a bottom and 94a top. I think it will take a while to break them in. I weigh 85 kg (187 lbs)
IG: @flowterspace

bombsaway86

• Rep: 162
« Reply #332 on: March 18, 2022, 10:26:33 AM »
I’ll echo the last few posts, the 92a blue conical Independent bushings are really nice. I run Ace low bushings on my daily and blue conicals on my cruiser. They feel very similar and as someone else said above, if I can’t find Ace low bushings I’d be just as happy with blue conicals. The conical bottoms are slightly taller than stock bottoms, so I remove the bottom washer to compensate. Stock Indy bushings are trash.

listentoaheartbeat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 187
« Reply #333 on: March 18, 2022, 11:15:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Definitely, when I experimented with combinations of different bushings, having the softer one at the bottom (board side) worked better. With the blue cylinders I didn't find that adding a harder top bushing improved anything, however.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #334 on: April 19, 2022, 05:42:53 AM »
Has anyone tried Tensor/Film bushings? I'm trying to find a decent replacement for Bones bushings because they always pancake around the yellow plastic. Been using Indy orange comical for ages but they're just a bit too soft and squirly and the hardnesses after that have the worst colours (blue and black).

Anyway the online reviews for the Tensors mentioned that they were softer than 90a but I like the idea of the middle bit that goes into the hanger. Don't know why all bushings don't do this. Conical bushings feel great in turns but so unstable in the middle so wondered if this added bit on the bushing would give more middle stability.

vicious cycle

• Rep: 166
« Reply #335 on: April 19, 2022, 06:02:01 AM »
Has anyone tried Tensor/Film bushings? I'm trying to find a decent replacement for Bones bushings because they always pancake around the yellow plastic. Been using Indy orange comical for ages but they're just a bit too soft and squirly and the hardnesses after that have the worst colours (blue and black).

Anyway the online reviews for the Tensors mentioned that they were softer than 90a but I like the idea of the middle bit that goes into the hanger. Don't know why all bushings don't do this. Conical bushings feel great in turns but so unstable in the middle so wondered if this added bit on the bushing would give more middle stability.

I got a pair of Film Trucks and my experience with the bushings wasn't that great.
I think they are somewhat ok in spring and summer but they don't work in the cold.
I tried the film bushings in some Thunder 148s but it seems that they don't work with them very well.
They got stuck in the direction i was learning and made wierd noises.
At the end I put bones hards in the Film's, works great.
And i put the stock bushings back into the Thunders and sold them..
I'm on Royals now and the bushing are the shit.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy a Skateboard.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #336 on: April 19, 2022, 07:37:42 AM »
The newest stock Indy’s feel fine to me. I always buy and swap in the aftermarket orange barrel but this time I guess I put back in the stocks. I went to remove the hangers to wax the hanger yoke and noticed but honestly couldn’t tell the difference between my other set of Indy’s which had the aftermarket.

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1158
  • old and in the way
« Reply #337 on: April 19, 2022, 09:00:04 AM »
The newest stock Indy’s feel fine to me. I always buy and swap in the aftermarket orange barrel but this time I guess I put back in the stocks. I went to remove the hangers to wax the hanger yoke and noticed but honestly couldn’t tell the difference between my other set of Indy’s which had the aftermarket.

In my experience the Indy stock bushings can feel really perfect and soft/surfy for a honeymoon period but seem to harden up over time. I’m not sure why that is. I just ordered a few sets of aftermarkets myself to swap out after the honeymoon is over.
I really love Riptide stuff but it’s difficult finding the bushings to match the Indy cylinders.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #338 on: April 20, 2022, 08:53:22 AM »
I hate that someone decided the only color for 90A should be orange or yellow. Even Riptide and Supercush. Why can’t we just get other colors? Id take white over it. Maybe I should swap in Venture purples.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #339 on: April 20, 2022, 10:02:21 AM »
Anyone know what’s the point of the bones plastic ring?  Is it because the intent is to skate a flat washer? 

IpathCats

« Reply #340 on: April 20, 2022, 11:59:05 AM »
Anyone know what’s the point of the bones plastic ring?  Is it because the intent is to skate a flat washer?

From the bones site

"The HardCore insert in the center of BONES bushings connects the two sides of each bushing together by bonding them to the HardCore insert. When the hanger web squeezes one side of a HardCore bushing, that side of the bushing reacts just like a normal bushing, but the chemical bond between the HardCore and the cushion keep the bushing from being squeezed out the other side. It actually increases the resistance to turning because it is held in place by the HardCore insert. This means basically that BOTH sides of the BONES HardCore Bushing are resisting your turning force. That’s why we call BONES Bushings the first double action truck bushings."

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #341 on: May 09, 2022, 01:51:25 AM »

It took a while to find this post again from Feb 2021, so this time maybe I should include some key words like bushing measurement height and similar so it is easier to find.

Anyway, some of these might have had some changes required, eg the Indy aftermarket black bushings have been said to be 14mm tall for the bottoms, which is curious.

Anything else to note and I can change this post to reflect the correct measurements / heights as well.

Updated a few options on bushings after the Ace Truck thread and thought I should measure some more I have here too.

From the site, the Ace low are lower in general but still fairly tall.

Low Bushing Set

Top 10mm tall | 91a hardness
Bottom 12mm tall | 86a hardness

Classic Bushing Set

Top 12mm tall | 91a hardness
Bottom 14mm tall | 86a hardness

As I had posted earlier in another thread, but this time using Ace aftermarket measurements:

Ace low
Total  22 mm
Top  10 mm
Bottom  12 mm

Ace classic
Total  26 mm
Top  12 mm
Bottom  14 mm

Venture stock 90a
Total  22.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Venture low top kits
Total  21 mm
Top  8 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Thunder stock 90a and aftermarket (same) 90a, 94a, 95a, 98a, 100a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  14 mm

Indy stock 90a and aftermarket (same in both cylinder and conical) 78a, 88a, 90a, 92a, 94a, 96a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  10.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Then Indy low head bushings 92a
Total  21 mm
Top  8 mm
Bottom  13 mm

* Added Venture in here as well.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #342 on: May 09, 2022, 02:10:53 AM »

That post was more in response to the question of bushing measurements, given the new NFG bushings come in many different options.

https://www.nfgmfg.com/shop

They have these:

Top conical (5 options)
95a  in 8mm, 9.5mm, 10mm, 10.3mm and 11mm

Bottom (5 options)
90a and 95a barrel 13mm
90a and 95a half conical 14mm and 14.5mm

Seems perfect to work out exactly what you want and get those, between the softer bottoms and slightly harder lower tops, I could get things exactly how I usually ride my other bushings.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

somefucker

« Reply #343 on: May 09, 2022, 05:23:48 AM »
running factory ace white bushings

no top washer

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 621
« Reply #344 on: May 09, 2022, 06:01:06 AM »

no top washer

How long can you do that before the bushing is destroyed? I never dared to try it

somefucker

« Reply #345 on: May 09, 2022, 06:10:21 AM »
Expand Quote

no top washer
[close]

How long can you do that before the bushing is destroyed? I never dared to try it

depends - usually a year or more

i skate a lot of different obstacles and it doesn't mess w me

i actually only had a problem when i did this with bones bushings and they couldn't take smiths/feebles

i do have to change my pivot cups more often than most

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1000
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #346 on: May 09, 2022, 09:27:25 AM »

It took a while to find this post again from Feb 2021, so this time maybe I should include some key words like bushing measurement height and similar so it is easier to find.

Anyway, some of these might have had some changes required, eg the Indy aftermarket black bushings have been said to be 14mm tall for the bottoms, which is curious.

Anything else to note and I can change this post to reflect the correct measurements / heights as well.

You're the man. @Mbrimson88!

I just measured my new/stock un-used thunder bushings last night to see what NFGs would fit.

Lessfillingtastegreat

• Rep: 54
« Reply #347 on: May 09, 2022, 09:39:06 AM »
Can anyone recommend a lower bushing for some venture 5.6.  The bones blow out. And the stick sit too high which have my trucks on the hand tightened thread level.  Sketch. 

Do you guys just cut the stock ones a bit.  And do you cut on the underside or the top side.  And is it the top bushing you cut or the lower?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 12:14:18 PM by Lessfillingtastegreat »
8.1 Drift -  venture 5.6 , Jessup, SFF  54mm Swiss ceramics  -https://imgur.com/a/WlDgenx

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #348 on: May 09, 2022, 09:43:29 AM »
Can anyone recommend a lower bushing for some venture 5.6.  The bones blow out. And the stick sit too high which have my trucks on the hand tightened thread level.  Sketch. 

Do you guys just cut the stock ones a bit.  And do you cut on the underside or the top side.  And is it the top bushing you cut or the lower?

Thanks
Vic

Newer stock indys are lower, ACE low bushings fit prefecty.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 618
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #349 on: May 09, 2022, 01:08:32 PM »

Thanks

I can't help you with Venture bushings, never ridden some in my life.

If you cut the bottom (lower) bushing too much, you can change the geometry of the truck itself and that can't be good. For the top bushing, when you cut the top part (this part is always smaller on top bushings). So when you cut that part, you might need langer washers to fit the bushing. You can also cut the bottom part of the top bushing and can keep your existing washers. I cut both parts on different trucks and I think it is easier to cut the bottom of the top bushing.

Man sorry, english isn't my first language.
I hope that made sense.
IG: @flowterspace

LebowskisRug

« Reply #350 on: May 09, 2022, 01:17:48 PM »
I can't find ACE low bushings anywhere.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #351 on: May 09, 2022, 01:28:02 PM »

Thanks
Get the new venture bushings for loose trucks. They are lower.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #352 on: May 09, 2022, 01:44:24 PM »
Anyone know how bones bushings compare height-wise to the other bushings? I always thought bones were low, but they don't really fit in my thunders.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #353 on: May 09, 2022, 03:18:00 PM »
I can't find ACE low bushings anywhere.

They probably hoarded them all for the release of the low AF1s ;)

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #354 on: May 09, 2022, 03:21:36 PM »
Anyone know how bones bushings compare height-wise to the other bushings? I always thought bones were low, but they don't really fit in my thunders.

BONES are about the same height as the [old] indy stocks; they are too short for Thunders (compared to stock and pull the geo in a bit (some may like that). they work for Ventures and Tensor ATGs as well; recommend using the washer that comes with bones on the bottom bushing.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #355 on: May 09, 2022, 05:37:30 PM »
Damn, I have Indy bottom bushing in my Thunders. Am I blowing it? Need to get some new ones either way.
The chillest1

ish_wav

• Rep: 97
« Reply #356 on: May 09, 2022, 06:17:40 PM »
Damn, I have Indy bottom bushing in my Thunders. Am I blowing it? Need to get some new ones either way.

I skate indy orange bushings in my thunders. But I’ve also never skated stock thunder bushings in them so I can’t tell ya if they feel different!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: May 09, 2022, 06:36:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I skate indy orange bushings in my thunders. But I’ve also never skated stock thunder bushings in them so I can’t tell ya if they feel different!

If they're working, that's all that matters!

Thunder bottoms, like ACE tops, are oddly large (taller) compared to other brands.

I was feeling frisky and picked up some NFGs to try out in thunders: 14mm 90a bottoms, 95 a low 8mm tops + pivots

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1113
« Reply #358 on: May 09, 2022, 08:03:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thunder bottoms, like ACE tops, are oddly large (taller) compared to other brands.

I was feeling frisky and picked up some NFGs to try out in thunders: 14mm 90a bottoms, 95 a low 8mm tops + pivots

I’m on that thunder wave lately, interested to read your field research

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #359 on: May 09, 2022, 08:23:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m on that thunder wave lately, interested to read your field research

I shall report back! I'm only trying out thunder again due to wanting to extend a WB of a deck that I really want to work..the ventures I have on hand didn't vibe (Never grinded, I should probably sell them..forged/lites 5.6s.)