Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50467 times)

logjammin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 336
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #420 on: June 10, 2022, 11:56:24 AM »
What is a good replacement bushing for thunders? I love the stock thunder feel but the bottom bushings keep crumbling for me. I ride them basically stock and weigh 70-75kg.
Indy conicals were okay. I didn't like bones in thunders. NFG bushings are not available in EU. Venom SPF/HPF in 88/90? It seems they have the same 14mm height in the bottom bushing.
I just want stock thunder feel without the bushings breaking all the time.

I haven't checked my aftermarket Thunder bushings yet in my Ace's (I only used the bottoms) but I don't think they're crumbling. Try those for your Thunders?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #421 on: June 10, 2022, 05:51:48 PM »
My Venture 6.1 Stock Bushings are starting to wear away. Are my only options of aftermarket replacements going to be the Loose Truck Conversion Bushing or the Bones Medium Bushings? Thanks.
dlx supercush bushings are basically venture aftermarkets
ive tried the 94 and 97a in 6.1s and highly recommend em
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

lukepat

• Rep: 7
« Reply #422 on: June 10, 2022, 09:22:33 PM »
Expand Quote
My Venture 6.1 Stock Bushings are starting to wear away. Are my only options of aftermarket replacements going to be the Loose Truck Conversion Bushing or the Bones Medium Bushings? Thanks.
[close]
I thought the same thing, but it doesn’t look like they are sold anymore or at least stocked anymore.

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 504
« Reply #423 on: June 10, 2022, 10:19:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I thought the same thing, but it doesn’t look like they are sold anymore or at least stocked anymore.
seasons has them all except the 94's and 88's it looks like. 90 would be what is comparable to stock on venture
https://seasonsskateshop.com/products/supercush-bushings?variant=39597955940504

lukepat

• Rep: 7
« Reply #424 on: June 10, 2022, 10:32:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
seasons has them all except the 94's and 88's it looks like. 90 would be what is comparable to stock on venture
https://seasonsskateshop.com/products/supercush-bushings?variant=39597955940504
dude… sick! thank you

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #425 on: June 11, 2022, 11:16:38 AM »
What is a good replacement bushing for thunders? I love the stock thunder feel but the bottom bushings keep crumbling for me. I ride them basically stock and weigh 70-75kg.
Indy conicals were okay. I didn't like bones in thunders. NFG bushings are not available in EU. Venom SPF/HPF in 88/90? It seems they have the same 14mm height in the bottom bushing.
I just want stock thunder feel without the bushings breaking all the time.

Venom bottoms, whatever low hard top.

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #426 on: June 11, 2022, 07:11:08 PM »
Anyone able to explain the benefits of sleeved washers? Asked in another thread but no one has bit thus far.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #427 on: June 11, 2022, 10:00:40 PM »
Anyone able to explain the benefits of sleeved washers? Asked in another thread but no one has bit thus far.

I think the idea is they act like the core in a Bones bushing. Keeps the bushings from stretching out around the kingpin so much, everything works a little more like a single unit, more snappy and responsive.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #428 on: June 12, 2022, 02:21:25 AM »

@Xen is the guy to talk to there I think.

This post:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=88869.msg3805659#msg3805659

Fresh Thunder TI 149s
Flat sleeved washers
NGF 95a low top (feels much softer tho)
Venom 86a bottom (sanded down about 1mm)

Been riding various 148/161 Thunders of late, cast/forged, ollies are good, balance point good, wheebite is shit (148s on 8.3s).

Bushing-wise after playing with indy/nfg conicals and stock, I took my own advice and slapped in the Venom 86a bottom bushing and they're as good as I remember; easily the next best thing to stock if you want something a little softer with waaaaaaay more rebound - coming off the NFG bottoms it's night and day. With the better rebound and sleeved washers I get out of wheelbite territory much faster, even on forged plates.

I threw in the low nfg top, doesn't seem to make a different other than it being low so I can actually get the pin to catch the nylock and have it turn better than stock (too tight using stockheight, nut flush). But honestly any lower top would work just fine.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #429 on: June 12, 2022, 12:09:24 PM »
@Ronnie Rodriguez

Flat bottom washers allow for greater bushing deformation (deeper turning/lean), whereas cupped washers restrict the bushing’s ability to deform past a certain point...so you turn/lean and then the washer stops the bushing from going further (some people like this 'limit' as it's an automatic stopping point).

Flat top washers curb washer binding with the hanger on some trucks (Venture).

The sleeved washers give you better rebound/snap back to center (like bones, theoretically, anyway), especially with low rebound bushings (thunder).

Overall, they're great for someone that rides loose but wants rebound and not mushy trucks. They work wonders in thunders/Ventures (i.e. tighter riding trucks) with the right bushings (and improve stock bushing reaction greatly).

Longboard shit (but universal application):
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard-guide/bushings/washers

« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 01:04:52 PM by Xen »

Ronnie Rodriguez

« Reply #430 on: June 12, 2022, 05:20:10 PM »
Thanks. Impulsively bought a set and am trying to figure out the best way to run them. I typically skate Indys with Ace low bushings and prefer something that turns deep and snaps back quickly.

logjammin

• Rep: 336
« Reply #431 on: June 13, 2022, 06:28:21 AM »
I have the barrel and conical Array sleeved washers and couldn't find where I put the conical ones, so I'm using those silver flat washers that Riptide will throw in with their bushings upon request, underneath my Thunder 90a whites in my Ace's. They've been broken in for about a week or so and firmed up to a great feeling durometer, the rebound is still excellent back to center, I notice little to no difference not having the sleeved washers this time around.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #432 on: June 17, 2022, 06:12:01 PM »

This was interesting to see:

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 619
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #433 on: June 18, 2022, 08:08:55 AM »

The Venture top bushing here is intriguing height wise. Looks like it has a similar height as the Indy top bushing I usually cut. And I like the green color ^^
IG: @flowterspace

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #434 on: June 20, 2022, 01:58:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The Venture top bushing here is intriguing height wise. Looks like it has a similar height as the Indy top bushing I usually cut. And I like the green color ^^

The green does look good!

I have a lifetime supply of the Indy aftermarket low top bushings (mainly the old red ones, but also some blue and orange when they came out later) so these remind me of them, or any low top bushing will be about the same height.

Cutting down normal top bushings works, but a lot of the time they will not widen out quite as much to cover the top hanger area, which is not a problem to me, but I know some people have issue with it.

It does make it easier to just get something without having to mess with it to make it work, so I am wondering if they will release other bushings (Thunder) with the low tops as well.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #435 on: June 20, 2022, 04:45:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I have a lifetime supply of the Indy aftermarket low top bushings (mainly the old red ones, but also some blue and orange when they came out later) so these remind me of them, or any low top bushing will be about the same height.

Cutting down normal top bushings works, but a lot of the time they will not widen out quite as much to cover the top hanger area, which is not a problem to me, but I know some people have issue with it.

It does make it easier to just get something without having to mess with it to make it work, so I am wondering if they will release other bushings (Thunder) with the low tops as well.

I always cut down the top (shorter part) of the top bushing because I think if you cut the bottom part of the top bushing, the bushing won't fit that great into the hangar.
But if you cut too much of the top bushing the cupwasher don't fit anymore, that's why I am looking for low top bushings. The Indy ones aren't in stock anymore in all of Europe it seems. Maybe I should look for something like a 92a-94a Venture/DLX bushing set or some other brands?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #436 on: June 20, 2022, 05:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I always cut down the top (shorter part) of the top bushing because I think if you cut the bottom part of the top bushing, the bushing won't fit that great into the hangar.
But if you cut too much of the top bushing the cupwasher don't fit anymore, that's why I am looking for low top bushings. The Indy ones aren't in stock anymore in all of Europe it seems. Maybe I should look for something like a 92a-94a Venture/DLX bushing set or some other brands?

Yes things like those Indy bushings being old and completely out of stock, or other current products being difficult to get in your location makes things harder.

Maybe the Venture bushings are the best bet, or Xen's wisdom on other bushings to provide options.

The new NFG bushings definitely come in lower tops, but would be very expensive to get to you with their small scale of production and limited shipping options.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #437 on: June 20, 2022, 07:19:47 AM »
 Dumbest question I'll ever ask- does anyone find the aftermarket Indy 90a bushings softer than the stock?

Next dumbest question- would it make more sense to grind down the kingpin with 90A that are more tightened or swap to 92A? Asking for a friend.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #438 on: June 20, 2022, 08:42:42 AM »
Thanks @Mbrimson88 I enjoy all your knowledge.

Yo, @Xen you got any advice for lower top bushings for Indy trucks? Preferably in 92a to 94a.

And @LebowskisRug I also find that the aftermarket 90a seem softer as the stock ones. Maybe they aren't compressed enough and harden over time? I ran the combo of 90a bottoms and 92a top bushings for a few years and now I like the 92a the most. I think it is generally a better idea to get harder bushings instead of tightening bushings down. The goal is to get the nut flush with the kingpin, right? And harder top bushings can be easier modified I think, using a flat washer instead of a cupped one or just cut or sand the top bushing down a bit. Although sanding down bushings takes forever without a angle grinder or a knife.

I also have a dumb question.
What is with boiling bushings? Anyone every tried to soften harder bushings that way?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #439 on: June 20, 2022, 11:25:20 AM »
Thanks @Mbrimson88 I enjoy all your knowledge.

Yo, @Xen you got any advice for lower top bushings for Indy trucks? Preferably in 92a to 94a.

I also have a dumb question.
What is with boiling bushings? Anyone every tried to soften harder bushings that way?

Low tops are hard to find. NFG, ACE, etc.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #440 on: June 20, 2022, 06:35:11 PM »
Dumbest question I'll ever ask- does anyone find the aftermarket Indy 90a bushings softer than the stock?

Next dumbest question- would it make more sense to grind down the kingpin with 90A that are more tightened or swap to 92A? Asking for a friend.

I definitely found the aftermarket 90s softer than stock, but they do seem like different compounds too.

Stock start off mushy and then firm up a bit more, but only a bit, especially the newer ones, whereas the older formula used to harden up to the point where the bushings would end up too hard / trucks too tight for me with stock from back once upon a time.

Aftermarket might be a touch harder in the first instance, but soften right up and stay softer.

For me the 92 duro bushings just felt perfect, especially when I got my hands on the lower top versions, but I still regularly cut about 1 mm from the bottom of the top normal height bushing for lots of people for two reasons, both to get things a little looser for the lighter bodies, but also to get the nut down lower and not have it sitting up at all, which in turn can even give me some room to use an angle grinder on the top of the kingpin, which then allows more clearance, especially when trucks are getting to axle.  I deal with a lot of older and well used trucks, more so than having to do this right from go with new trucks, but on a few of my boards with standard Indy trucks, I have taken the top three or so threads off the kingpins with these bushings and the clearance is unbelievable and they still perform exactly as they should.

I have definitely found that slightly harder bushings will work better for me, even though I still run a normal setup with fairly loose trucks - can stand on the board and sit on heels or toes to touch wheel to deck - but as the bushings are a bit firmer, they give me more stability overall too and it takes a little more effort to end up leaning too far and wheelbite, compared to some like stock, which are softer taller bushings, even when tightened down so they feel tighter than my usual ride, which is funny but it works.

@fs1/2cab   As for boiling bushings, I have never tried it, nor have I skated any boards that have had it done, but maybe it is just one of those things, like someone put wheels in their freezer, someone else left wheels out in the sun, someone parks on their decks, or any other thing that might seem weird but works for them.

I know I have a long arms list of all the funny things I have done or know I can do to modify skateboard product, shoes, pants, clothing and all the rest to make it just how I like it or make it work for someone who is having issues, but maybe I will have to try it at least once just to see what all the fuss is about.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #441 on: June 20, 2022, 10:09:54 PM »
I might actually try to find some stock Indy bushings then. Something in my head makes me want to skate the oranges.

Odd question but why don't pros skate anything other than Bones in trucks? Don't recall seeing anyone on the aftermarket Indy Bushings apart from Reynolds once or twice, but he just cranks his orange it seems and doesn't care.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #442 on: June 21, 2022, 05:13:01 AM »
I might actually try to find some stock Indy bushings then. Something in my head makes me want to skate the oranges.

Odd question but why don't pros skate anything other than Bones in trucks? Don't recall seeing anyone on the aftermarket Indy Bushings apart from Reynolds once or twice, but he just cranks his orange it seems and doesn't care.

Between superstition and history, I think most things are covered.

History was that Indy bushings were pretty bad back in the day and I still see people who will never ever ride a single day of stock bushings because of that.

Bones because they have been in their current form for a long time and people get used to them and don't like change, but also I think some pro dudes might have hook ups with shops or Powell corp and get them in their packages if they are on bearings or any other Bones product.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 109
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #443 on: June 21, 2022, 05:53:28 AM »
I'm running Indys with Bones black/hard but hearing a noticeable clicking. Anyone else experience this? I'm not sure if it's the bushings, the top metal washer that came with the Bones, or perhaps the pivot cup.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #444 on: June 21, 2022, 07:13:34 AM »
I'm running Indys with Bones black/hard but hearing a noticeable clicking. Anyone else experience this? I'm not sure if it's the bushings, the top metal washer that came with the Bones, or perhaps the pivot cup.

they usually click for a few sessions

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 109
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #445 on: June 21, 2022, 07:27:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

they usually click for a few sessions

Danke. I'll wait it out.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #446 on: June 21, 2022, 11:16:08 AM »
It will eventually stop. I've been on the same pair for about a year and they are perfect now. They don't freeze up in the cold and they don't mush out in the heat.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #447 on: June 21, 2022, 11:46:26 AM »
What barrel bushings tend to be temp resistant? I have some Supercush 90a but hated the 94

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #448 on: June 22, 2022, 05:55:31 AM »
@Ronnie Rodriguez

Flat bottom washers allow for greater bushing deformation (deeper turning/lean), whereas cupped washers restrict the bushing’s ability to deform past a certain point...so you turn/lean and then the washer stops the bushing from going further (some people like this 'limit' as it's an automatic stopping point).

Flat top washers curb washer binding with the hanger on some trucks (Venture).

The sleeved washers give you better rebound/snap back to center (like bones, theoretically, anyway), especially with low rebound bushings (thunder).

Overall, they're great for someone that rides loose but wants rebound and not mushy trucks. They work wonders in thunders/Ventures (i.e. tighter riding trucks) with the right bushings (and improve stock bushing reaction greatly).

Longboard shit (but universal application):
https://www.muirskate.com/longboard-guide/bushings/washers

Here’s another option, if you don’t mind supporting Amazon. Really happy with mine, I suspect I’ll be moving these from truck to truck with time.

MCB Skate Precision Bushing Washers https://a.co/d/j5TRLih
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #449 on: June 22, 2022, 07:17:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You can easily make a low top bushing with you regular top.

The IG thing is to show the set up but cut the top off to the height you want, then take 2 flat washers(one the size of the uncut top bushing and 1 the size of the bottom of the bushing), toss it on some 1/2” all thread, chuck it in a drill(hand or press), get some 40,80,&120 or 180grit sand paper put it on a sanding block(start with 40 to rough shape, then the finer grits to finish) turn the drill on and hold the block to the bushing. The washers will stop you from over sanding and give you a guide so it stay the same shape as the original high. A few minutes and maybe a dollar or so and you’ve got low bushings. That’s how I get low tops and super soft conical bottoms.