Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50460 times)

Bumba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 32
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #480 on: September 20, 2022, 11:36:29 AM »
Where are we at with Bones bushings? I used to skate them 5 years ago and the bottom bushing would always muffin top over the yellow insert. For some reason I'm tempted to try them again but are they any different than before? Kinda hoping they don't do that muffin top thing anymore

slobburnquist

• Rep: 6
« Reply #481 on: September 20, 2022, 12:27:26 PM »
Went thru bushing madness recently. Tried multiple colors of independent conicals and several different colors of riptide street bushings, only to come full circle and be back on independent orange bushings. The quirk that I have settled on though, is buying 2 pairs of independent and using the slightly smaller conical cones from each set to make a single pair. This seems to allow the lowest standard grind/turn clearance.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 622
« Reply #482 on: September 20, 2022, 12:33:05 PM »
Where are we at with Bones bushings? I used to skate them 5 years ago and the bottom bushing would always muffin top over the yellow insert. For some reason I'm tempted to try them again but are they any different than before? Kinda hoping they don't do that muffin top thing anymore

They're still the same. Not worth it. Tried them recently and they lasted about 3 weeks

sacking rails

• Rep: -222
  • sacking rails
« Reply #483 on: September 20, 2022, 12:47:49 PM »
what bushings make you smith grind better?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #484 on: September 20, 2022, 12:53:28 PM »
No bushings only washers

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #485 on: September 20, 2022, 06:53:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
No bushings only washers

Yes and also a bit of no.

To use lower top or cut down top bushings, so I can get the nut down lower while still having the trucks the same amount of turn, gives a bit more clearance, then to really go silly, angle grind the kingpin down flush with the nut and round it off works a whole lot more for me.

That is a fair bit of work for someone who is not so used to it, but the end result definitely makes it a whole lot better.

Also I ride Indy standards, so there is a good amount of clearance on those things to begin with.

Venture also has a significant amount of clearance, way more so than Thunder and somewhat more than Ace too.

So choice of trucks make more difference with smith grinds, but technique makes the most difference of anything.

Sorry if that ended up being a whole lot more than initially asked.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #486 on: September 20, 2022, 09:17:11 PM »
Just setup my venture 6.1 with mini logo white top bushing at the bottom and a bones hardcore medium on top. Nice and loose but I don't think it's cured my madness.
Just call me Daddy.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #487 on: September 21, 2022, 08:26:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They're still the same. Not worth it. Tried them recently and they lasted about 3 weeks

Thanks that's actually the confirmation I needed to stay away from them 😂

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #488 on: September 27, 2022, 06:52:15 AM »
Just got the Pig medium 91a in blue. Size is exactly 14mm x 25mm bottom, 10mm top.
Pretty tall, so only recommended in ace, royal, film, mini logo and maybe thunder.

They feel great, but there is one downside: The top of the top bushing is wider than pretty much every other top bushing, I can't find any washers that fit, except bones flat washers, which still cut into it a tiny bit when you turn.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #489 on: September 27, 2022, 08:39:06 AM »
Just got the Pig medium 91a in blue. Size is exactly 14mm x 25mm bottom, 10mm top.
Pretty tall, so only recommended in ace, royal, film, mini logo and maybe thunder.

They feel great, but there is one downside: The top of the top bushing is wider than pretty much every other top bushing, I can't find any washers that fit, except bones flat washers, which still cut into it a tiny bit when you turn.

Could maybe shave the edges so that washers will fit.

I'm running the 92A Indy Conicals with a flat top washer in Venture highs. Excellent setup for me. I feel like the conicals give a really snappy turn.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 109
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #490 on: September 27, 2022, 12:12:03 PM »
Ditched my bones hards and back on standard indy orange. Considering a switch to indy blue/92 but not sure if it's worth the increased madness level.

SupremePizza

• Rep: 44
« Reply #491 on: September 27, 2022, 12:22:02 PM »
Running the top bushing from the venture loose truck conversion kit with stock bottom bushings on some regular cast ventures. Plenty loose at kingpin nut flush and I love it. With the stock top bushing I had them hand tightened with 1 or two turns and was always worried about the nut falling off

The.Skate.Father

• Rep: 42
« Reply #492 on: October 01, 2022, 02:52:46 AM »
Running the top bushing from the venture loose truck conversion kit with stock bottom bushings on some regular cast ventures. Plenty loose at kingpin nut flush and I love it. With the stock top bushing I had them hand tightened with 1 or two turns and was always worried about the nut falling off

Haha hand tight nuts on ventures l. So sweet.
Just call me Daddy.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #493 on: October 01, 2022, 07:25:21 AM »
Here's a weird problem that no one else has ever heard of, but im curious:

I don't run my Thunders tighter than a hair past flush, which is how they've all come stock recently. After a couple weeks I've noticed the washers are bending upwards. If I remove the nut there is a perfect imprint of it as if the washer has bent around it and the trucks feel tighter when I replace with a new washer. So far in 2 months 2 sets have bent.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #494 on: October 01, 2022, 02:31:37 PM »
Here's a weird problem that no one else has ever heard of, but im curious:

I don't run my Thunders tighter than a hair past flush, which is how they've all come stock recently. After a couple weeks I've noticed the washers are bending upwards. If I remove the nut there is a perfect imprint of it as if the washer has bent around it and the trucks feel tighter when I replace with a new washer. So far in 2 months 2 sets have bent.

That happened with all thunders I've ever skated. Never was a problem though

FGO925

• Rep: 20
« Reply #495 on: October 01, 2022, 04:12:34 PM »
If I like running one harder/one softer bushing, what would be the purpose of putting on on the top vs one on the bottom.

I guess what I’m asking is what does the top bushing effect have vs the bottom bushing.

I feel like the bottom being harder gives the truck a quicker “snap” back to straight but idk.

Anyone else run hybrid duro bushings?

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #496 on: October 01, 2022, 05:11:53 PM »
If I like running one harder/one softer bushing, what would be the purpose of putting on on the top vs one on the bottom.

I guess what I’m asking is what does the top bushing effect have vs the bottom bushing.

I feel like the bottom being harder gives the truck a quicker “snap” back to straight but idk.

On my ace classic I run stock bottom and Bones top.

I tried with ventures but the Bones bushing couldn't hang with out a washer.

The lowering kit feels kinda closer to the way I set up Indy and ace.

Indy you gotta cut them a little bit or just get used to no flop.

I need to surf and I need to flip my board.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #497 on: October 02, 2022, 09:38:00 AM »

The bottom (boardside) bushing cushions the lean of the truck, so that’s where your basic feeling of tightness/looseness comes from. The top bushing provides some resistance against wheelbite and snaps the hanger back to center.

Soft bottom/hard top should give you a loose, surfy, deep turn with a little extra stability and wheelbite protection (like an Ace).

Hard bottom/soft top is not something I’ve ever seen or done, but in theory the hard bottom should give you a shallower turn and tighter feel, but the soft top should let the truck turn over a little more than with a full set of hard bushings.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #498 on: October 03, 2022, 03:16:41 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The bottom (boardside) bushing cushions the lean of the truck, so that’s where your basic feeling of tightness/looseness comes from. The top bushing provides some resistance against wheelbite and snaps the hanger back to center.

Soft bottom/hard top should give you a loose, surfy, deep turn with a little extra stability and wheelbite protection (like an Ace).

Hard bottom/soft top is not something I’ve ever seen or done, but in theory the hard bottom should give you a shallower turn and tighter feel, but the soft top should let the truck turn over a little more than with a full set of hard bushings.

I’m gonna try this

anyone know the height of stock indy barrel bushings? The bottom

I wanna put in a bottom bushing that’s same height or lower to get my 149 just slightly lower and closer to that ace geo

yes

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #499 on: October 03, 2022, 11:56:23 AM »
Update not that they're broken in: PIG 91a bushings are amazing!
Feel similar to the new royal bushings, just a bit harder with way more response.
Using them in thunders, flat top washer and I've never had thunders feel this perfect before.
Same pinch and turn, but kind of more stability on manuals.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #500 on: October 03, 2022, 03:49:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m gonna try this

anyone know the height of stock indy barrel bushings? The bottom

I wanna put in a bottom bushing that’s same height or lower to get my 149 just slightly lower and closer to that ace geo

Thought I had the full list somewhere but didn't find it.

There is this though:

Expand Quote
If anyone knows the bushing specs (height) and the wheelbase on the mids/forged mids, please let me know. That would basically complete the specs on the first post.
[close]

My measurements
Std forged +3.1875
Cast mid +3
Forged mid unknown

Top bushing 10.25mm
Bot bushing. 13mm

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: October 03, 2022, 03:52:16 PM »

Found it...

Bushing height chart

It took a while to find this post again from Feb 2021, so this time maybe I should include some key words like bushing measurement height and similar so it is easier to find.

Anyway, some of these might have had some changes required, eg the Indy aftermarket black bushings have been said to be 14mm tall for the bottoms, which is curious.

Anything else to note and I can change this post to reflect the correct measurements / heights as well.

Updated a few options on bushings after the Ace Truck thread and thought I should measure some more I have here too.

From the site, the Ace low are lower in general but still fairly tall.

Low Bushing Set

Top 10mm tall | 91a hardness
Bottom 12mm tall | 86a hardness

Classic Bushing Set

Top 12mm tall | 91a hardness
Bottom 14mm tall | 86a hardness

As I had posted earlier in another thread, but this time using Ace aftermarket measurements:

Ace low
Total  22 mm
Top  10 mm
Bottom  12 mm

Ace classic
Total  26 mm
Top  12 mm
Bottom  14 mm

Venture stock 90a
Total  22.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Venture low top kits
Total  21 mm
Top  8 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Thunder stock 90a and aftermarket (same) 90a, 94a, 95a, 98a, 100a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  9.5 mm
Bottom  14 mm

Indy stock 90a and aftermarket (same in both cylinder and conical) 78a, 88a, 90a, 92a, 94a, 96a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  10.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Then Indy low head bushings 92a
Total  21 mm
Top  8 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Indy Stage 4
Total 27 mm
Top 12.5 mm
Bottom 14.5 mm

* Added Venture in here as well.

That post was more in response to the question of bushing measurements, given the new NFG bushings come in many different options.

https://www.nfgmfg.com/shop

They have these:

Top conical (5 options)
95a  in 8mm, 9.5mm, 10mm, 10.3mm and 11mm

Bottom (5 options)
90a and 95a barrel 13mm
90a and 95a half conical 14mm and 14.5mm

Seems perfect to work out exactly what you want and get those, between the softer bottoms and slightly harder lower tops, I could get things exactly how I usually ride my other bushings.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 06:48:10 PM by Mbrimson88 »

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 634
« Reply #502 on: October 03, 2022, 05:15:29 PM »
I went out this morning for a session before work with two setups that had been in my car overnight in temps that dipped down to the high 30s F.  Both with thunder trucks, one with the blue aftermarket thunder 94s, the other with the orange 90s that came stock in a set of 148s.  I started with the setup on the blue 94s and the bushings were so stiff the board would NOT turn even just trying to roll around and rock them back and forth a bunch to warm them up wasn’t working. Went back and grabbed the other board with the 90s and it skated completely normal, just as loose as usual.  Thought that was interesting, didn’t expect so much of a difference between bushings close in euro meter and of the same brand.

Get hungry on it!

m path

• Rep: -51
« Reply #503 on: October 07, 2022, 05:05:31 PM »
Ventures going between ace barrel bottom with washer bones top none or bones everthing with bottom washer none on top.  Also like the mini logo barrel with same as above.
"You used to speak the truth but now you're clever"

FrankRizzo

• Rep: 10
« Reply #504 on: October 07, 2022, 05:17:09 PM »
I suppose this is related since the kingpin nut holds the hanger in place.
I file the bottom of my kingpin nuts for added looseness while still preserving nylock. I can imagine I file off about one thread height off the nut.
I also run flat washers top and bottom for less resistance and fluid like carves.

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #505 on: October 08, 2022, 10:31:17 AM »
softer bushings that can fit on lurpivs?

Creachteach

• Rep: 120
« Reply #506 on: October 08, 2022, 03:28:06 PM »
Is anyone here like really heavy, and doesn’t like looser trucks?

I’m curious about the 100a Doh Dohs. Have any experience?
Im too dumb to figure out how to make this drawing my profile pic.

huggernaut

• Rep: 12
« Reply #507 on: October 08, 2022, 03:47:05 PM »
Is anyone here like really heavy, and doesn’t like looser trucks?

I’m curious about the 100a Doh Dohs. Have any experience?

I’m 230lbs and running the 100a thunder after market bushings and actually like them quite a bit.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #508 on: October 09, 2022, 07:00:50 AM »

Ace bushings fit, but I'm not sure if they are softer than standard lurpiv. The ace bottom is 86a, top 91a

DERBY

• Rep: 254
« Reply #509 on: October 09, 2022, 07:33:47 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ace bushings fit, but I'm not sure if they are softer than standard lurpiv. The ace bottom is 86a, top 91a

classic or af1 bushings?