Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 49090 times)

Dmng and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 98
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #570 on: May 25, 2023, 09:39:09 AM »
I’m setting up a trick deck with whatever the stock Indy stage 11 bushings are. For whatever reason I always keep Indys stock. Put some shorter, softer thunder bushings on my Venture cruiser and it’s perfect now.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #571 on: May 25, 2023, 09:44:50 AM »
For what it’s worth, my DLX aftermarket bushings are all 13mm bottoms (88s and 90s), and I think only one set came with a black top on the tube.

For anyone still trying to get more swerve out of Ventures when they’re new, stock Indy bushings are great (the newer ones, obviously).

I also tried them in AF1 Lows and it’s a great combo as well. Seems right in between the feel of the hards and the mediums.

• Rep: 3
« Reply #572 on: May 25, 2023, 10:32:25 AM »
For what it’s worth, my DLX aftermarket bushings are all 13mm bottoms (88s and 90s), and I think only one set came with a black top on the tube.

For anyone still trying to get more swerve out of Ventures when they’re new, stock Indy bushings are great (the newer ones, obviously).

I also tried them in AF1 Lows and it’s a great combo as well. Seems right in between the feel of the hards and the mediums.

Id bet both sets came with a black top, i have like 9 sets a mix of both and there all like this. I dont really mind it, i dont think bringing up the barrel by 1 mm does anything and once they get broken in there kind of what they should be normally instead of like shot, and trucks got alot wider over a pretty fast period of time so idk maybe they started just making them taller, or idk maybe the smaller ones are the newer ones, i really dont know. Its annoying tho, i mean i could always shave down the 14mm ones but im beginning to think maybe there was a reason for that, they seem to feel really good on my venture low 5.2s. Im currently running a green 94 set on with the red top, and those bottoms im almost positive are 14's, but i might switch them out for the black ones. Idk, Also a thicker washer could make up most of that mm.

intendedreceivers

• Rep: 204
« Reply #573 on: May 25, 2023, 05:46:14 PM »
I have like 4 or 5 sets and I re-use all the tubes. One black. All 13mm.

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #574 on: May 26, 2023, 03:02:27 PM »
just gone back to skating thunder 151 team standard with bones medium, thunder stock bushings don't return to centre fast enough and have really annoying squeaking 

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #575 on: May 27, 2023, 09:04:59 AM »
What's the consensus on ace classic bushings? Haven't tried my aces out yet but I have them set up on a fresh set up. I usually ride bones hard in my indys. I changed out the top washed to a flat washer instead of the cupped one but I also have at my disposal a fresh set of Indy orange bushings and another set of bones hard bushings.
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #576 on: May 27, 2023, 09:13:42 AM »
What's the consensus on ace classic bushings? Haven't tried my aces out yet but I have them set up on a fresh set up. I usually ride bones hard in my indys. I changed out the top washed to a flat washer instead of the cupped one but I also have at my disposal a fresh set of Indy orange bushings and another set of bones hard bushings.
Best bushings in the world. But coming from hard bushings, and using a flat washer, you're gonna die.
There's gonna be zero resistance in your turns in the beginning. Just stand on it and feel it out

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #577 on: May 27, 2023, 09:19:58 AM »

I was told in another thread that Classic and AF-1 have the same bushings, but with that said - they're the best. The bushings in my Classics outlasted the trucks, and now they live in a pair of Indy 149s where they feel to me like a nice improvement over the stock Indy orange bushings (which I also quite like). Although if you're coming from Bones hard bushings, maybe the squishiest and most turny bushings on the market are not the right choice? Ultimately though, they're like $6 at the skateshop, so try them and see if they work for you.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #578 on: May 27, 2023, 10:12:51 AM »
just gone back to skating thunder 151 team standard with bones medium, thunder stock bushings don't return to centre fast enough and have really annoying squeaking 

I know people swear by bones bushings… but they look so god damn bad, I just don’t think I could do it. Everything about them gives me the ick.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #579 on: May 27, 2023, 10:21:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I know people swear by bones bushings… but they look so god damn bad, I just don’t think I could do it. Everything about them gives me the ick.
It's the missing bottom bushing that makes bones bushings look stupid for me

Edit: I mean bottom washer
« Last Edit: May 27, 2023, 03:37:13 PM by goodatmeth »

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #580 on: May 27, 2023, 02:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
you mean the washer? you can still use a bottom washer to keep the truck geometry the same but i like the slightly pushed in wheelbase

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #581 on: May 27, 2023, 03:09:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The flat washers definitely are part of it. The two tone color also I think

modern life is war

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -617
« Reply #582 on: May 27, 2023, 03:15:34 PM »
Best bushings in the world. But coming from hard bushings, and using a flat washer, you're gonna die.
There's gonna be zero resistance in your turns in the beginning. Just stand on it and feel it out

I was told in another thread that Classic and AF-1 have the same bushings, but with that said - they're the best. The bushings in my Classics outlasted the trucks, and now they live in a pair of Indy 149s where they feel to me like a nice improvement over the stock Indy orange bushings (which I also quite like). Although if you're coming from Bones hard bushings, maybe the squishiest and most turny bushings on the market are not the right choice? Ultimately though, they're like $6 at the skateshop, so try them and see if they work for you.

I ride hard bushings but I also have the trucks loose enough that the hangers rattle when you shake the board so I'm no stranger to loose trucks, I just don't usually like the twitchy feeling of soft bushings. Stoked to hear the stock bushings are good though, I'll try em out and see how I go. I'll bring the original cupped washer with me incase a flat washer is too much turn haha
You’re a Florida native, aren’t you?

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #583 on: May 27, 2023, 03:30:09 PM »
This might sound crazy but how hard would it be to turn a barrel bushing into a conical bushing with very limited tools? Is it even possible or worth it? I want some hard conical bushings but they all come in the worst colours like black or purple.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #584 on: May 27, 2023, 03:50:30 PM »
This might sound crazy but how hard would it be to turn a barrel bushing into a conical bushing with very limited tools? Is it even possible or worth it? I want some hard conical bushings but they all come in the worst colours like black or purple.
I've tried that before, it's easy just with a knife and sandpaper. BUT everytime I did it I went too far and ended up with an extremely unstable bushing. Don't take too much off or it's gonna be a bushing for kids only

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 974
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #585 on: May 28, 2023, 02:58:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I've tried that before, it's easy just with a knife and sandpaper. BUT everytime I did it I went too far and ended up with an extremely unstable bushing. Don't take too much off or it's gonna be a bushing for kids only

I feel like bushings in conical shapes have a lot more give than cylinders, so while you can still have hard bushings, technically, the same duro would be hard in cylinder and only medium hard in conical shapes.

Of course there are other factors at play, but from having some that are supposed to be the same duro in both shapes, this is always the result.

That said, the very hard bushings often don't have much give at all, so could probably do with a bit of shaping down, but as said, check the shape of the conical ones, where the upper half is still cylinder and just a smaller part conical, when compared to some of the tops, which have a lot more give, when they have a very tapered shape.

What options do you have available for bushings and what duro are you using or wanting?

Edit:

I know some of the most common like the Thunder 100s do come in a few colour options - black in the rebuild kit and blue in the tube (previously yellow from the old range) as well as red 97s, which are all conical shaped, but then other brands in cylinder like Indy 96 yellow (which have a lot more give) and Doh Dohs 100s, DLX Supercush (in short supply) or the other various brands that cater to other forms of skating, that do have colour, size and hardness options.

Mini Logo hard 100 red cylinder

Shortys / Doh Dohs white 98 cylinder, 95 red

Pig has bushings that people have said are ok, in all colours in all duro options, so white, army green and mid blue I think, although I haven't seen any in person.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2023, 03:10:37 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rikki

• Rep: 238
« Reply #586 on: May 28, 2023, 07:23:48 AM »

If you find the Ace stock bushings (medium) too soft and surfy, try the Ace hards. They are evenly amazing if not better. They have the awesome Ace turn but have more hold and stability.

Bumba

• Rep: 32
« Reply #587 on: June 02, 2023, 03:09:13 PM »
I just want to shout out the Indy super soft, white, 78a, barrel bushings. Was a bit nervous to try them as people on here were saying they're like mush but they're actually amazing.

Really stiff in the middle but with a really deep carve to them. I ride Aces with risers and the stock bushings would stop turning a few cm before they'd wheelbite which works well if you don't have risers but I needed more turn.

I'm used to riding conicals (from the bones bushings era) but the tippyness really messed with my flip tricks. Anyway these Indy ones feel really good on flip tricks because the middle is super sturdy.

I'm 5 foot 9, slim build and mainly skate flat and ledges but I'll skate some tranny and curbs too so I actually like my truck to to turn

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #588 on: June 02, 2023, 09:43:58 PM »
Ace Hi AF1 44 with the Ace Hard bushings which I believe are a 94a. Love em
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #589 on: June 03, 2023, 04:22:53 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ride solid, look awful.

Cosmetically I could never fully enjoy them. There’s something about Indy Orange or venture purple that look perfect.

Those two the best colors in all bushings? Subjective I know but from a mile away you know what truck you’re looking at.

rikki

« Reply #590 on: June 03, 2023, 06:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ride solid, look awful.

Cosmetically I could never fully enjoy them. There’s something about Indy Orange or venture purple that look perfect.

Those two the best colors in all bushings? Subjective I know but from a mile away you know what truck you’re looking at.

I was on the Bones Mediums bandwagon for a while but recently been enjoying my stock Indys. I mean, what's there not to like? They turn great and they provide plenty of stability. Enough checkboxes for me.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #591 on: June 03, 2023, 08:25:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ride solid, look awful.

Venture purple is probably all time best looking. I’ve also been using the loose truck conversion greens lately and they’re also really nice to look at (and to ride).

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #592 on: June 04, 2023, 11:48:50 AM »
Figured out something by accident with Indy stage 11's, you know how the cupped top washer cuts the bushing to shit if you tighten the kingpin at all? I tried swapping in ACE AF1 top washers and these are the move! Firms them up a bit because they're thicker, but they feel great and don't get all shredded because they're rounded over instead of being all stupidly sharp.

Now I'm nut flush on stock bushings at 210lbs, and the washers don't pinch the top bushings at all.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 12:05:40 PM by Samsquantch »

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #593 on: June 05, 2023, 06:49:04 AM »
Figured out something by accident with Indy stage 11's, you know how the cupped top washer cuts the bushing to shit if you tighten the kingpin at all? I tried swapping in ACE AF1 top washers and these are the move! Firms them up a bit because they're thicker, but they feel great and don't get all shredded because they're rounded over instead of being all stupidly sharp.

Now I'm nut flush on stock bushings at 210lbs, and the washers don't pinch the top bushings at all.

I e been riding new Indys for a week and the washers are already shredding the bushings. And this was on a cruising board, nothing crazy going on trick-wise

Samsquantch

« Reply #594 on: June 05, 2023, 07:53:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I e been riding new Indys for a week and the washers are already shredding the bushings. And this was on a cruising board, nothing crazy going on trick-wise

I've honestly never been able to figure out why skateboard trucks have sharp, cupped washers on top. I mean, just push the trucks by hand and you'll see that the sharp edge is going to dig into the bushing and cut it, especially is you tighten the nut a bit which flares that bushing out wider.

I mean, it's not a huge issue, Indy's are everywhere (with their shredded bushings), but it bugs me when I look at 'em.

Ace's improve things by having more of a cup shaped hanger for the top bushing to sit in, and their washers are so much better. Still want to ride Indy's though, so Ace washers it is!

logjammin

• Rep: 314
« Reply #595 on: June 06, 2023, 11:08:27 PM »
Been on some bushin madness last couple weeks and ended up returning to the ol' Ace medium bottom, Ace hard top. The hard top bushing makes the snap back to center even better and reduces wheelbite a lil bit. Highly recommend

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #596 on: June 07, 2023, 12:53:38 AM »
I am thinking about trying the Ace Hard Bushings in my new Indy 144s. I usually ride the blue aftermarket Indys which are 92d and the Ace Hard are 94d. Will I notice a difference there? The goal is to have my nuts flush.
I heard Ace bushings aren't that temperature sensitive as Indy Bushings. I also have these sick ice blue 94 Thunder Bushings lying around somewhere but haven't tried these yet and I remember Thunder Bushings crumbled to pieces back in the day.

Crazy weather in Berlin. Anything from 14°F to 100°F throughout the year.
IG: @flowterspace

rikki

« Reply #597 on: June 07, 2023, 01:41:07 AM »
Re: Bones medium (orange) bushings: they're imo pretty great as stock bushings in new Indys these days. Maybe softer than back in the day? Anyway, my question is: is there a notable difference between the stock orange bushings and the aftermarket oranges?

rikki

« Reply #598 on: June 07, 2023, 04:05:04 AM »
I am thinking about trying the Ace Hard Bushings in my new Indy 144s. I usually ride the blue aftermarket Indys which are 92d and the Ace Hard are 94d. Will I notice a difference there? The goal is to have my nuts flush.
I heard Ace bushings aren't that temperature sensitive as Indy Bushings. I also have these sick ice blue 94 Thunder Bushings lying around somewhere but haven't tried these yet and I remember Thunder Bushings crumbled to pieces back in the day.

I'm interested in this as well. I've loved the Ace Hards on my Ace trucks. They are not super hard but provide a lot more stability as opposed to the Ace stock mediums. Haven't tried them on the Indys I'm currently riding, though. Might do it once my current Indy stocks have been shredded apart.

Samsquantch

« Reply #599 on: June 07, 2023, 04:54:59 AM »

One thing to note, Ace bushings are a couple mm thicker (taller?) than Indy bushings. If you put them in as is, the bottom bushing changes the geometry of the hanger, and to get nut flush it'll mash out the top bushing.

I briefly tried sanding down some Ace stock medium bushings and putting them in some 159's over the winter and it felt good, but a bit squirrelly. If you're going to try it, sand down the wide end of the top bushing, not the narrow end, otherwise it's too fat and the washer binds up.

Also, if you get the Ace bushings, try just the top washer with Indy bushings, seriously, makes a way bigger difference than you'd ever guess.