Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50144 times)

rikki

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 284
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #600 on: June 07, 2023, 06:15:27 AM »

One thing to note, Ace bushings are a couple mm thicker (taller?) than Indy bushings. If you put them in as is, the bottom bushing changes the geometry of the hanger, and to get nut flush it'll mash out the top bushing.

I briefly tried sanding down some Ace stock medium bushings and putting them in some 159's over the winter and it felt good, but a bit squirrelly. If you're going to try it, sand down the wide end of the top bushing, not the narrow end, otherwise it's too fat and the washer binds up.

Also, if you get the Ace bushings, try just the top washer with Indy bushings, seriously, makes a way bigger difference than you'd ever guess.

Does the Ace top washer affect the turn in Indys? Or is it just to protect the top bushing better?

Samsquantch

• Rep: 60
« Reply #601 on: June 07, 2023, 06:50:13 AM »
Expand Quote

One thing to note, Ace bushings are a couple mm thicker (taller?) than Indy bushings. If you put them in as is, the bottom bushing changes the geometry of the hanger, and to get nut flush it'll mash out the top bushing.

I briefly tried sanding down some Ace stock medium bushings and putting them in some 159's over the winter and it felt good, but a bit squirrelly. If you're going to try it, sand down the wide end of the top bushing, not the narrow end, otherwise it's too fat and the washer binds up.

Also, if you get the Ace bushings, try just the top washer with Indy bushings, seriously, makes a way bigger difference than you'd ever guess.
[close]

Does the Ace top washer affect the turn in Indys? Or is it just to protect the top bushing better?

Full madness/kook take: Actually changes the turn.  It firms up a little overall, and firms up more as you get closer to wheelbite. Still super responsive, but a bit more stable than stock. I think it's because the Ace washer is kind of bevelled inside, it starts interacting with the top bushing earlier in the turn.

I've been in the mountain bike scene for years where we dick around with air suspension: volume, spacers, damping valving etc. Skateboard trucks are super simple, and I can see lots ways you could tune how trucks behave just with washer shapes. Some people already do by switching to flat washers, no washers etc.

At 210lbs I prefer stock with Ace washer to Indy blue aftermarket with stock washer. I like a medium to loose turn though. Don't do any flat ground really, just transition, banks, ledges etc.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 07:01:49 AM by Samsquantch »

DanRar009

• Rep: 50
« Reply #602 on: June 07, 2023, 08:39:05 AM »
Any hard bushing recommendations? I’m riding thunder 149 team standards with the 100d lime green bushings and I blew them out in about 3ish months. A buddy of mine recommended doh dohs but the last time I rode those I blew those out even faster than the thunder bushings.

beandemon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #603 on: June 07, 2023, 09:34:25 AM »
Expand Quote
What's the consensus on ace classic bushings? Haven't tried my aces out yet but I have them set up on a fresh set up. I usually ride bones hard in my indys. I changed out the top washed to a flat washer instead of the cupped one but I also have at my disposal a fresh set of Indy orange bushings and another set of bones hard bushings.
[close]

If you find the Ace stock bushings (medium) too soft and surfy, try the Ace hards. They are evenly amazing if not better. They have the awesome Ace turn but have more hold and stability.

What I’ve been wanting to hear. I’ve liked my aces just fine, until I jumped on an old set of Indy’s. Dumb question, will they make my classic 55’s feel more like stage xi 169’s?

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #604 on: June 07, 2023, 01:17:02 PM »
Any hard bushing recommendations? I’m riding thunder 149 team standards with the 100d lime green bushings and I blew them out in about 3ish months. A buddy of mine recommended doh dohs but the last time I rode those I blew those out even faster than the thunder bushings.
supercush 97a or 100a
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #605 on: June 07, 2023, 02:24:35 PM »

I put bones hardcore hards on my new setup today and instantly fell in love. This is my first set though, so I can only speak to their immediate feel. I hear they blowout quickly though, so maybe not what you’re looking for

rikki

« Reply #606 on: June 09, 2023, 12:26:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's the consensus on ace classic bushings? Haven't tried my aces out yet but I have them set up on a fresh set up. I usually ride bones hard in my indys. I changed out the top washed to a flat washer instead of the cupped one but I also have at my disposal a fresh set of Indy orange bushings and another set of bones hard bushings.
[close]

If you find the Ace stock bushings (medium) too soft and surfy, try the Ace hards. They are evenly amazing if not better. They have the awesome Ace turn but have more hold and stability.
[close]

What I’ve been wanting to hear. I’ve liked my aces just fine, until I jumped on an old set of Indy’s. Dumb question, will they make my classic 55’s feel more like stage xi 169’s?

No they won't. They'll feel like Aces, just with added stability. They WILL turn.

DanRar009

• Rep: 50
« Reply #607 on: June 10, 2023, 03:15:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I put bones hardcore hards on my new setup today and instantly fell in love. This is my first set though, so I can only speak to their immediate feel. I hear they blowout quickly though, so maybe not what you’re looking for

I’ll try a set of bones next and would like to try them supercush ones but have no idea where to find em. My local shop only had the thunder branded bushings in stock so I went with a set of red 97 duro. Figured they’ll atleast last me through the summer

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #608 on: June 10, 2023, 07:17:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ll try a set of bones next and would like to try them supercush ones but have no idea where to find em. My local shop only had the thunder branded bushings in stock so I went with a set of red 97 duro. Figured they’ll atleast last me through the summer

From my experience Thunder bushings are pretty good. I’m putting some of their 90a orange bottoms on a set of my Indys and something a little harder up top

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #609 on: June 10, 2023, 12:41:20 PM »
I put the awful Independent Red “soft” bushings on my cruiser with soft OJ wheels and they’re not terrible for this application.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #610 on: June 10, 2023, 02:03:50 PM »
And I will suggest trying the Black Indys. I blew out a lot of other brands but not these.

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #611 on: June 11, 2023, 05:48:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
And I will suggest trying the Black Indys. I blew out a lot of other brands but not these.

I dunno if it’s Indy trucks or their stock bushings, but my 139s sliced the stock bushings up in a week or so. They were like, oozing through the washers and getting sliced on turns.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #612 on: June 11, 2023, 06:20:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I dunno if it’s Indy trucks or their stock bushings, but my 139s sliced the stock bushings up in a week or so. They were like, oozing through the washers and getting sliced on turns.

a big batch of indys are set with wrong washers (too small / sharp edges)
it's really disapppointing

TheCrimsonShroud

« Reply #613 on: June 13, 2023, 04:37:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

a big batch of indys are set with wrong washers (too small / sharp edges)
it's really disapppointing

Well I big-brained that shit. Put Thunder 90a on the bottom with no washer, dimebag 98a on top with the washer. 1 thread showing and I can carve on 60mm wheels without bite. It lowered their height 1.2mm too, which is a plus imo. The geometry feels pretty much unaffected.

rikki

« Reply #614 on: June 21, 2023, 12:26:24 AM »
How much stiffer do the blue Indy 92a medium hards feel compared to the stock oranges? I think I would benefit from a bit harder bushings (currently running Indy stocks), but don't want to go too stiff all of a sudden.

Samsquantch

« Reply #615 on: June 21, 2023, 05:04:16 AM »
How much stiffer do the blue Indy 92a medium hards feel compared to the stock oranges?

About 2a. *Badum tsch*

Seriously though, it's not a massive difference and will probably be exactly what you're looking for. It's less of a change than going from Ace stock to Ace hard. If you don't mind funky color combos, you can also mix to get a middle ground, blue top and stock bottom.

The blue are the same as stock though in that you'll need to break them in when you first get them, they are wheelbite city and feel way too soft for the first bit till they firm up.

rikki

« Reply #616 on: June 21, 2023, 05:30:32 AM »
Expand Quote
How much stiffer do the blue Indy 92a medium hards feel compared to the stock oranges?
[close]

About 2a. *Badum tsch*

Seriously though, it's not a massive difference and will probably be exactly what you're looking for. It's less of a change than going from Ace stock to Ace hard. If you don't mind funky color combos, you can also mix to get a middle ground, blue top and stock bottom.

The blue are the same as stock though in that you'll need to break them in when you first get them, they are wheelbite city and feel way too soft for the first bit till they firm up.

Hey thanks. Will try the blue ones. Yeah, speaking of Aces, the stock ones are way too loose, but in my experience the Ace hards are pretty much perfect.

Samsquantch

« Reply #617 on: June 21, 2023, 05:42:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

About 2a. *Badum tsch*

[close]

Hey thanks. Will try the blue ones. Yeah, speaking of Aces, the stock ones are way too loose, but in my experience the Ace hards are pretty much perfect.

Blues feel pretty close to ace hard, I mean, as close as a totally different truck is gonna feel. If I didn't skate any transition I'd probably go blue, but I've gotten used to a looser setup. And seriously, try Ace top washers... Indy stock with Ace top washer has cured my truck/bushing madness. They firm up the overall feel a bit and make them bounce back to center better.

rikki

« Reply #618 on: June 21, 2023, 06:41:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

About 2a. *Badum tsch*

[close]

[close]

Blues feel pretty close to ace hard, I mean, as close as a totally different truck is gonna feel. If I didn't skate any transition I'd probably go blue, but I've gotten used to a looser setup. And seriously, try Ace top washers... Indy stock with Ace top washer has cured my truck/bushing madness. They firm up the overall feel a bit and make them bounce back to center better.

Oh yes. Read about the Ace top washer hack earlier here or somewhere else, thanks, will try!

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 863
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #619 on: July 03, 2023, 02:36:19 PM »
anyone have the height of bones bushings?
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #620 on: July 03, 2023, 05:43:06 PM »
anyone have the height of bones bushings?

Had a minute and just checked then on a set of soft, blue top white bushings, although everything should be the same dimensions across all their options.

Total without washer a hair over 24 mm

Top about or just under 11 mm, maybe 10.5

Bottom about or just over 13 mm, maybe 13.5

Flat washer just under one mm

All up everything pretty much bang on 25 mm when put together.

Also to note, the well used set is squashed down about 2 mm or more when I checked them a while back, around 22 mm total, top maybe 10 and bottom 12 or so, but I don't have any right here with me.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Meathook

• Rep: 73
« Reply #621 on: July 04, 2023, 01:44:26 PM »
Just put ace hards in AF1’s yesterday which made them feel much better to me, however I blew out one pivot cup in 45 minutes.  Back to Indy 149s and blue bushings.

Zyth

• Rep: 8
« Reply #622 on: July 04, 2023, 01:58:38 PM »
Just put ace hards in AF1’s yesterday which made them feel much better to me, however I blew out one pivot cup in 45 minutes.  Back to Indy 149s and blue bushings.
ace pivot cups really are terrible, you should try thunder pivot cups for them

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #623 on: July 06, 2023, 06:39:22 AM »
I'm riding my main setup with stock ventures.
I took my antihero luso shape to the park yesterday for the first time and it was really fun.

The only thing I didn't like was the blue conical bushings were really loose because it was so hot so I put some old hard bones I had on me and it helped a bit but not much.

I went to the shop afterwards and bought the black cylinder Indy bushings and they feel much better.

WideFeet

• Rep: 82
« Reply #624 on: August 15, 2023, 01:22:13 PM »
Ok guys, I’m having some serious gear madness.

Trying not to think too much about my set up. I just want to pick some stuff out that I like, and go skate and have fun.

Problem is I’m about 30 pounds heavier than I was a year ago. Stock bushing are too soft. I need a harder bushing.

I want to run normal Indy Stage 11’s. I would just get black bushings, but I really want white bushings. I just think it looks really clean.

Who makes a good hard bushing that’s white, and works well with Indy’s?

I saw Doh-Doh’s makes some. I’m not a Bones guy, but I may be willing to give them a go. ACE also makes hard bushings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #625 on: August 15, 2023, 01:38:29 PM »

Trying not to think too much about my set up. I just want to pick some stuff out that I like, and go skate and have fun.

Problem is I’m about 30 pounds heavier than I was a year ago. Stock bushing are too soft. I need a harder bushing.

I want to run normal Indy Stage 11’s. I would just get black bushings, but I really want white bushings. I just think it looks really clean.

I saw Doh-Doh’s makes some. I’m not a Bones guy, but I may be willing to give them a go. ACE also makes hard bushings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I'm 185/190 depending on the day. I find the blue 92s to be excellent (and I pair them with the yellow 96a indy tops to mimic the ACE dual duro setup but leaning (heh) towards the harder end since I've got some mass), but you want white and I feel you on that, so go for the ACE Hards (preferably with the ACE low HARD top); alternatively, Bones Hards?

While I prefer white, I'm trying to let that go (how often are you looking at your trucks when skating?)

Also, since I have madness, I found the ACE HARD bottom with the BONES HARD top to work very very well (remember the ACE regular - at least AF1s - top bushing is very tall compared to other bushings; like thunder bottoms are to other brands, such is the ACE top.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 01:52:43 PM by Xen »

Samsquantch

« Reply #626 on: August 15, 2023, 01:54:52 PM »

If they've gotta be white, I'd go with Ace hard, they're great bushings. You may want to shave a mm or two off of them as they're a bit taller than Indys. You can just rub them on griptape or sandpaper until they're close. For the tapered top one, sand the wide end otherwise it'll be too wide at the top and the washer will cut it.

I think some people on here have put them in stock, it's probably fine, I'm just kind of anal retentive with that stuff.

rikki

« Reply #627 on: August 15, 2023, 11:06:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If they've gotta be white, I'd go with Ace hard, they're great bushings. You may want to shave a mm or two off of them as they're a bit taller than Indys. You can just rub them on griptape or sandpaper until they're close. For the tapered top one, sand the wide end otherwise it'll be too wide at the top and the washer will cut it.

I think some people on here have put them in stock, it's probably fine, I'm just kind of anal retentive with that stuff.

-- or just use the tops from an Ace Hard Low set.

Samsquantch

« Reply #628 on: August 16, 2023, 08:40:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

-- or just use the tops from an Ace Hard Low set.

Definitely an option, sanding down a standard one just saves you from having to get two sets, that and lows can be hard to find, I've never even seen a set of lows around here, let alone the bushings.

AlumarX

• Rep: 13
« Reply #629 on: August 16, 2023, 12:29:42 PM »
Stock Royal bushings are my favorite. A little harder would be perfect.
I run stock indy bushings on venture lows and they actually turn with the nut flush. They actually got way too loose at first and didn’t turn right.

I also run venture stock bushings on a venture baseplate / thunder hanger. And goddamn does it feel good. It’s like a more stable Royal honestly. None of that Thunder twitch.