Author Topic: Which Bushings R U Running?  (Read 50432 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Which Bushings R U Running?
« Reply #660 on: October 04, 2023, 07:43:35 AM »
What would you use in Indys 215 ?
It's supposed to be a Stage IV but before the recent Stage IV reissue there was no stage IV specific bushings (which are a bit different than stage XI bushings). As a result we had to go for what was available i.e. stage XI bushings.

Does somebody knows 215 bushings dimensions ?

Expand Quote
Do Ace bushings fit in the Indy Stage 4's/215's?
[close]
Maybe somebody has a better answer but they are both taller than stage 11 height so my guess is probably. Indy also released their full line of aftermarkets in that height now too so you got that going for you.

That was one answer in the "Questions" thread.

The set of 215s I have that didn't come with stock bushings worked really well with the older (and way taller) aftermarket Indy bushings, which barely fit in normal Indy trucks at the time, but that also depends on someone having some left over bushings from way back then, so that doesn't really help now.

There are the black aftermarkets that are slightly taller in the bottom cylinder shape, which do fit, which also feel ok with the nut flush, so they are not so tight but still have a firmer base, if that makes sense.

At least Indy have released their own Stage 4 bushings in the three options, but if they are not in your country yet (as per most of the world I think) then as Jake said above, Ace bushings being taller should work fairly well too.

Somewhere in the Indy thread, or even in the Indy Stage 4 thread, people had posted the bushings and measurements, which I can't find right this minute, but from someone sending it directly to me, this is about what they were:

Top 12.5 mm tall
Bottom 14.5 to 15 mm tall

That said, two people I know who ride 215s are in the ultra loose truck category, so they both have a cut job from any other bushings, so I guess you could still run any normal set of bushings in them and they will still work ok, going by what they do with their trucks.

I tried a few options, including some of the dreaded aftermarket red 88s mainly because I can't find a happy home for them, so although they worked ok, they weren't what I would be putting in those trucks any time soon.

Indy thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=123563.1650

Indy Stage 4 thread:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=126174.0

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #661 on: October 04, 2023, 11:26:46 AM »
It's supposed to be a Stage IV but before the recent Stage IV reissue there was no stage IV specific bushings (which are a bit different than stage XI bushings). As a result we had to go for what was available i.e. stage XI bushings.

I don’t have 215’s on hand, but I have XI, IV and ace classics, and did some comparison. I can measure when I get home, but stage IV are the same dimensions as Ace, and older 215’s should be same as stage XI. From what I recall re: 4 vs 11, the bushings are baseplate rather than hanger specific, which means you can swap hangers but need to use the bushies native to the baseplate.

Edit:  Just did some quick measure/compare.
XI: 10mm top, 13mm bottom
IV/Ace Classic 12mm top, 14mm bottom
kingpin protrusion from baseplate:
IV 37mm
XI 35mm

4 bushings on an 11 baseplate would feel tight at flush, 4 bottom and 11 top would probably work well.
11 bushings on a 4 baseplate would be close to rattle at flush and have less kp clearance.

Edit #2:

Of course brimmo beat me to it.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 12:07:28 PM by beandemon »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #662 on: October 04, 2023, 04:01:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t have 215’s on hand, but I have XI, IV and ace classics, and did some comparison. I can measure when I get home, but stage IV are the same dimensions as Ace, and older 215’s should be same as stage XI. From what I recall re: 4 vs 11, the bushings are baseplate rather than hanger specific, which means you can swap hangers but need to use the bushies native to the baseplate.

IV 37mm
XI 35mm

4 bushings on an 11 baseplate would feel tight at flush, 4 bottom and 11 top would probably work well.
11 bushings on a 4 baseplate would be close to rattle at flush and have less kp clearance.

Edit #2:

But that is good info and worth posting, so it is good to have yours too.

No harm in two replies - much better than none!

:)

jsettle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 134
« Reply #663 on: October 09, 2023, 07:12:08 AM »
Just here to say the stock bushings in Film trucks are really good...only been on them for a month but they are holding up really good. Very responsive

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1325
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #664 on: October 12, 2023, 08:26:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

IV 37mm
XI 35mm

Edit #2:

[close]

But that is good info and worth posting, so it is good to have yours too.

No harm in two replies - much better than none!

:)
Just to update a bit on the aftermarket IV bushings, I picked up a set of 94 blacks to try in my AF1s and the bottom bushing is maybe a mil taller than Ace 94s. Unfortunately I must’ve left my digital caliper on as the battery is dead so I can’t do an exact measurement yet.

The IV 94s felt about as soft as the Aces which is not my usual experience. They’re kind of my Goldilocks bushings nut flush in XIs. They were probably so new that they would firm up after a while but I wound up chucking them in the parts box. Printed cardboard boxes now instead of the plastic rectangle the Indy standards have been coming in.

So, since this is the point of this thread, for Ace AF1s I’m running a Bones hard bottom on top with a flat washer and Ace hard bottoms, preserving that Ace mixed duro and at the same height. The trucks are now carvey but stable at nut flush, at least they are for my 250lb carcass.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

smg1138

• Rep: 40
« Reply #665 on: October 16, 2023, 11:46:51 AM »
Anybody used Indy replacement bushings lately? I just got a set of the 96a yellow ones and they started falling apart after 5 minutes of skating in my 149's. I had a few sets in the past that never did that, so I'm perplexed. Wondering if there was a production issue lately or something?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #666 on: October 16, 2023, 04:18:19 PM »
Anybody used Indy replacement bushings lately? I just got a set of the 96a yellow ones and they started falling apart after 5 minutes of skating in my 149's. I had a few sets in the past that never did that, so I'm perplexed. Wondering if there was a production issue lately or something?

Curious to hear more, or see more if you have pics.

I know some people don't wear them in, eg go gently on them for the first session or two and then start to skate normally after that, which can cause them to split at the sides from the washer pinching down on the top bushing, or the bottom buldging out over the hanger yoke or washer when the truck is bent in a crooks or slappy position.

Any which way, they shouldn't be coming apart so I would like to see or hear more.

Might be worth talking to the shop you got them from too.

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #667 on: October 16, 2023, 04:23:47 PM »
There seems to be newer Indy aftermarket bushings that say INDEPENDENT on them. The “old” ones had no writting.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #668 on: October 16, 2023, 04:48:44 PM »
There seems to be newer Indy aftermarket bushings that say INDEPENDENT on them. The “old” ones had no writting.

These ones?

Just make sure you have Stage 4 trucks with your Stage 4 bushings, as they are different heights to the normal Stage 11 bushings.

I hadn't seen any othes, so I am guessing these are the ones you mean.

Others have talked about them too, which fit Indy Stage 4 trucks as well as Ace trucks nicely.

Indy Stage 4 thread here too:

This might be useful info as well:

This was from a while back, with the Stage 4 bushings added before anyone had the correct measurements:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112631.msg3874036;topicseen#msg3874036

Indy stock 90a and aftermarket (same in both cylinder and conical) 78a, 88a, 90a, 92a, 94a, 96a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  10.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Then Indy low head bushings 92a
Total  21 mm
Top  8 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Indy Stage 4
Total 27 mm
Top 12.5 mm
Bottom 14.5 mm

rikki

• Rep: 285
« Reply #669 on: October 17, 2023, 12:20:36 AM »

I bought the blue 92a cylinders last summer and they have been working great, no issues.

Meathook

• Rep: 74
« Reply #670 on: October 19, 2023, 04:27:46 PM »

Completely different from your experience, I just put some red 88a conicals in thunders and it feels really good after a few sessions.  I tried the red cylinders in Indy’s 3 years ago and they were the worst pieces of shit I’ve ever tried to skate.  My last trucks we’re ventures with 90a cylinders and they lasted the life of the trucks.  Based on the improvement of the reds I have to think they upped qc or changed production on them honestly.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #671 on: October 19, 2023, 08:40:45 PM »
Im on indy whites. In my opinion its the best venture bushing if youre under 150lbs.

Im so fit rn i feel like i could go to Greece and just skate around kicking the heads off old statues. Be like water bitch vandal24
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #672 on: October 20, 2023, 12:17:01 PM »

I recently bought some of those hard black Indy bushings to use on my Thunder 149s and they're actually really good. I primarily got them to help alleviate wheel bite and it's reduced it by about 50% which is good enough for me. I've been rocking them for about a month now and they're holding up nicely.

ish_wav

• Rep: 97
« Reply #673 on: October 20, 2023, 01:53:50 PM »

Using Indy aftermarket orange bushings in thunder titaniums.  No issues!

smg1138

« Reply #674 on: October 20, 2023, 03:07:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I know some people don't wear them in, eg go gently on them for the first session or two and then start to skate normally after that, which can cause them to split at the sides from the washer pinching down on the top bushing, or the bottom buldging out over the hanger yoke or washer when the truck is bent in a crooks or slappy position.

Any which way, they shouldn't be coming apart so I would like to see or hear more.

So it looks like it was the washers that came with the replacement bushings that caused the issue. When I tried another set with the stock Indy washers that came with the trucks they didn't start shredding. Seems kind of weird but that's what I've discovered. These are the 96a yellow Indy aftermarket bushings that I've been using for years. This particular batch seems noticeably softer than my older ones so IDK they may have changed the formula. I may go back to Supercush bushings if I can actually find some again.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #675 on: October 20, 2023, 04:54:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Completely different from your experience, I just put some red 88a conicals in thunders and it feels really good after a few sessions.  I tried the red cylinders in Indy’s 3 years ago and they were the worst pieces of shit I’ve ever tried to skate.  My last trucks we’re ventures with 90a cylinders and they lasted the life of the trucks.  Based on the improvement of the reds I have to think they upped qc or changed production on them honestly.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So it looks like it was the washers that came with the replacement bushings that caused the issue. When I tried another set with the stock Indy washers that came with the trucks they didn't start shredding. Seems kind of weird but that's what I've discovered. These are the 96a yellow Indy aftermarket bushings that I've been using for years. This particular batch seems noticeably softer than my older ones so IDK they may have changed the formula. I may go back to Supercush bushings if I can actually find some again.

Sounds like they might have changed the formula then, or at least different product from what it was before, from the old packaging with the cross to the new one with the diamond logo maybe, or even just different runs of the newer ones.

Heard that from a few people now, who have had different experiences with the newer bushings, compared to the older bushings.

Kind of weird, but the aftermarket bushings have different washers in with them, smaller washers, for the most part, so although I really just use the conical shaped bushings, I have trimmed down the bottom edge on some cylinder bushings to fit better in some trucks I had put on a board for someone who didn't have their own stock bushings.

The size of them sometimes works better and sometimes not so well, I have seen.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1065
« Reply #676 on: October 22, 2023, 02:10:43 PM »
I bought Bones Soft to improve Indy turn.

https://www.humiditynola.com/product-page/bones-bushings

for my 169 Indy today. I have a 15.125” wheel base board (it comes at 15.5”) but I drilled the 3/8” back using 169 6 hole pattern. I have 1/4 Indy baseplate. The board is 33 long X 9.2” wide. I have 56 dragons. Looking forward to testing.

https://www.chicostix.com/products/chico-stix-x-ferris-plock-xl-9-3
« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 02:23:40 PM by GardenSkater77 »

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #677 on: December 02, 2023, 01:33:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

These ones?

Just make sure you have Stage 4 trucks with your Stage 4 bushings, as they are different heights to the normal Stage 11 bushings.

I hadn't seen any othes, so I am guessing these are the ones you mean.

Others have talked about them too, which fit Indy Stage 4 trucks as well as Ace trucks nicely.

Indy Stage 4 thread here too:

This might be useful info as well:

This was from a while back, with the Stage 4 bushings added before anyone had the correct measurements:

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=112631.msg3874036;topicseen#msg3874036

Indy stock 90a and aftermarket (same in both cylinder and conical) 78a, 88a, 90a, 92a, 94a, 96a
Total  23.5 mm
Top  10.5 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Then Indy low head bushings 92a
Total  21 mm
Top  8 mm
Bottom  13 mm

Indy Stage 4
Total 27 mm
Top 12.5 mm
Bottom 14.5 mm

Do these originals work with 215s? 215s seem like they still use the old school design so it would make sense.
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #678 on: December 02, 2023, 03:27:24 PM »

Do these originals work with 215s? 215s seem like they still use the old school design so it would make sense.

Sure do.

I tried a few variations of bushings just to see.

The main thing is the slightly taller bottom bushing gives more turn angle, not huge difference, but there is some difference, in the same way pututing a couple of washers under the bottom bushing also changes the turn of the trucks, eg makes a truck more turny like Ace.

The only thing is if they do sit too tall for comfort, or you can't get the nut down well enough, just cut a bit of the top bushing and they will fit and work really well.  Might not be something you want to do - lots of people get weird about cutting down bushings - but having a taller bottom bushing and a lower top means you get more turn from the taller bottom bushing and then more clearance on the kingpin, or for some even just getting the kingpin nut on fully, where it might be not down as far as it should be to have the trucks at the right feel for you.

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #679 on: December 02, 2023, 04:30:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sure do.

The main thing is the slightly taller bottom bushing gives more turn angle, not huge difference, but there is some difference, in the same way pututing a couple of washers under the bottom bushing also changes the turn of the trucks, eg makes a truck more turny like Ace.

The only thing is if they do sit too tall for comfort, or you can't get the nut down well enough, just cut a bit of the top bushing and they will fit and work really well.  Might not be something you want to do - lots of people get weird about cutting down bushings - but having a taller bottom bushing and a lower top means you get more turn from the taller bottom bushing and then more clearance on the kingpin, or for some even just getting the kingpin nut on fully, where it might be not down as far as it should be to have the trucks at the right feel for you.

Awesome, thanks so much for the fast reply! I've got a pair of 215s with the stock orange bushings that I can hardly stand on they're so loose. I don't want to just crank them down and over compress the bushings so I ordered some original hards but was second guessing the fitment. No worries with shaving them down, I've got a belt sander, haha. Cheers!
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 966
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #680 on: December 02, 2023, 07:08:37 PM »
Loose truck converter kits are harder to find. I assume it was a success
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

smg1138

« Reply #681 on: December 03, 2023, 03:37:55 PM »
Anybody know which direction Indy replacement bushings are supposed to face? The bottom barrel bushing has a machined side with a square edge and the other side is smooth with a rounded edge. I noticed the stock bushings have the machined side facing boardside but I always thought that side was supposed to face towards the hanger? I guess it probably doesn't matter much but it's messing with my madness lol

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 220
  • sup dog
« Reply #682 on: December 03, 2023, 04:25:37 PM »
Anybody know which direction Indy replacement bushings are supposed to face? The bottom barrel bushing has a machined side with a square edge and the other side is smooth with a rounded edge. I noticed the stock bushings have the machined side facing boardside but I always thought that side was supposed to face towards the hanger? I guess it probably doesn't matter much but it's messing with my madness lol
It’s okay, you’re amongst friends here.

I also wondered about this for the last three years. I’ve settled on just copying stock arrangement.

It makes the most sense to me that the machined hard edge would be on the washer, and the rounded side would be on hanger.

More solid on washer metal flat, and rounded on the dynamically moving hanger side.
Another brand new account coming in on some absolute fuck shit

smg1138

« Reply #683 on: December 03, 2023, 04:31:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I also wondered about this for the last three years. I’ve settled on just copying stock arrangement.

It makes the most sense to me that the machined hard edge would be on the washer, and the rounded side would be on hanger.

More solid on washer metal flat, and rounded on the dynamically moving hanger side.

Hadn't thought about it like that, but it makes sense. Thanks!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
« Reply #684 on: December 03, 2023, 05:09:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Sure do.

[close]

Awesome, thanks so much for the fast reply! I've got a pair of 215s with the stock orange bushings that I can hardly stand on they're so loose. I don't want to just crank them down and over compress the bushings so I ordered some original hards but was second guessing the fitment. No worries with shaving them down, I've got a belt sander, haha. Cheers!
If you(well not you since you said they were to loose for your taste) want floppy loose 215s run a standard lower and upper bushing(ie not the ones for the 215s , regular 109-169s) if you want tighter run the lower stock 215 bushing with a lower conical bushing from the stage 11s(109-169) that will keep the height pretty close to the normal 215s and give you different duro options to firm them up to your liking.

Musicaldeath107

• Rep: 122
« Reply #685 on: December 03, 2023, 07:47:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is the way and the reason

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #686 on: December 03, 2023, 10:40:34 PM »

At least the cylinder bushings really don't matter, but when you have the conical bushings, they clearly have a direction, as in both the circle sides on the hanger, so make of that what you will.

The video someone did once saying factory workers don't know which way the bushings go so they just put them in any which way, but the circle sides go to the hanger and the smooth sides go to the washers, so the circles help stop the hanger moving or something like that.

Any which way, it is not something I would argue over, so you can run them however you like in the cylinder bushings.  I really only run the conical so they have to go one way only, which is as said both circle sides to the hanger.

Hopefully this hasn't caused anyone to cry and go change their bushings over, but yeah the stock and aftermarket bushings both work perfectly fine either way, so no matter there.

The best pic I could find at a minutes notice (click for bigger version)

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 10:47:21 PM by Mbrimson88 »

rikki

• Rep: 285
« Reply #687 on: December 03, 2023, 11:23:17 PM »
Speaking of cylinder and conical: I've run Indy medium hard 92 cylinder bushings on my 144s and they're great. Haven't tried the conical ones, though. Is there a noticeable difference in feel/turn between cylinder and conical when running the same hardness?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #688 on: December 04, 2023, 02:55:37 AM »
Speaking of cylinder and conical: I've run Indy medium hard 92 cylinder bushings on my 144s and they're great. Haven't tried the conical ones, though. Is there a noticeable difference in feel/turn between cylinder and conical when running the same hardness?

The word according to someone in the industry is, the cylinder bottom bushing gives more resistance than the conical shape bottom bushing.

Conical are ever so slightly less stiff to me, being the best way to describe the turn I get from the same bushings in durometer but different shape, cylinder to conical, so I can turn more quickly on the conical bushings I use.

The conical bushings are maybe more like the half turn compared to a cylinder feeling more like a full turn in tightening down the kingpin or instead of going from 90 duro to 92 duro, it is a touch more like 91, if either of those two make sense. 

neodragonlordx

• Rep: 1
« Reply #689 on: December 04, 2023, 03:41:22 AM »
200 lbs, Tensor Alloys 6.0, Independent 92a Medium-Hard Cushions, technical flatground with a little bit of street curb here and there.

Certified No-Comply Overdoer