Author Topic: Do you hide your adult skateboarding activities from other adults?  (Read 10467 times)

yungthug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
Re: Do you hide your adult skateboarding activities from other adults?
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2023, 03:55:17 AM »
"I sure hope his TPS reports are more consistent than his BS flips"

Bill Salt

« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2023, 04:13:57 AM »
The underlying question here would be: "Do I have to be ashamed or at least unconfortable being an adult skater?"
Well, I could understand the problem in some point.I'd say it depends how old your are and more definitely where you live.In the shit hole that I live in by now I kinda feel that unconfortable feeling sometimes.But it never happened a few years back when I lived in Paris...The mentality of your surrounding is determining.It's our pride.There will alwas be an asshole saying skateboarding is for kids or whatever.Noone's gonna blame a 60 years old surfer, the dude will get all the props but for us it's different?How's that?Fuck 'em!
In the end we don't give a shit anyway cause we NEED to skate right?And we ain't gonna hide.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 08:27:31 AM by Bill Salt »

231st Street

• Rep: -197
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2023, 04:37:29 AM »
The underlying question here would be: "Do I have to be ashamed or at least unconfortable being an adult skater?"
Well, I could understand the problem.I'd say it depends how old your are and more definitely where you live.In the shit hole that I live in by now I kinda feel that unconfortable feeling sometimes.but it never happened a few years back when I lived in Paris...The mentality of your surrounding is determining.
In the end we don't give a fuck cause we need to skate right?And we ain't gonna hide.

Location impacts it-- I'm in NYC area for about 15 years and am somewhat open about it depending on the overall vibe I get from the person even in my late 30s, and am more open about being into it then I was even in early 20s in southern nj. 

Nobody really cares in NYC area if you are "normal" about it - I will mention it in passing similar to how someone would talk about their pick up basketball league to a random business contact especially if they seem sports oriented, but would leave it at that. 

Alot of business folks ski or snowboard and are somewhat interested in skateboarding in general, especially since THPS and the Olympics, but still, wouldn't be weird about it (and also realize it is not really cool at all to general adults-- more funny).

Before it gets weird turn your convo to your last snowboard or bike session ha. But often when you run into folks who are into mountain biking, hiking, surfing, whatever, they will be somewhat interested from the sporting element of it.  Bonus points if you have an added layer of self-awareness that your playing with a wooden toy--- extra bonus points if you have access to a private skate park to brag about (real or imagined). 

Just be aware it isn't seen as conservative and I wouldn't overemphasize or reveal before the person has seen your skills/professionality in business session as there are still negative stereotypes associated with skaters (even in LA/NYC), though its changing over time.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2023, 08:04:03 AM »
33 years old dentist, married with children: Been working 9 years for the public health system in my country, currently on a brand new hospital in the driest desert in this world (yeap Chile). Ive talked about my skating life since day one over here, its part of my life and stopped caring about what anyone thinks a long time ago; got used to people, classmates, professors and doctors looking me weird just for carrying the board; I always proved everyone wrong and showed my academic skills were never affected by skating.

I started at 10 years old and I was always the only "real skater" at school and university, a lot of my OG homies came from hard backgrounds and never made it out of school. I was a good student but a huge skate rat too. I figured early I wasn´t gonna be a pro skater but if I studied enough I could sponsor myself... and I did.

Overall its only been good vibes at work, Im known as the "dentist that skateboards" but Im not the craziest dude over here, by far: some doctors or nurses are into this insane 40 k marathon runs or triathlons... dude come on do you want to die? for real? you did how many miles this week?

I studied and work as a dentist, I do my job and I try to do my best; but if you ask me, Im a skater first and foremost, Im actually really proud of it cause my skating life taught me some important life skills.

Get out of the closet dudes, we made it, we were the nerds and now everyone wants to bite our shit, chin up. Maybe we aren't that cool cause we are old but, come on, I can kickflip better than your son  ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 06:22:10 PM by mooraga »

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #184 on: March 27, 2023, 10:20:05 PM »
^ gnarr'd my pal. wholesome content

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1929
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #185 on: March 27, 2023, 10:35:15 PM »
Get out of the closet dudes, we made it, we were the nerds and now everyone wants to bite our shit, chin up. Maybe we aren't that cool cause we are old but, come on, I can kickflip better than your son  ;D

"Ted, you're my line manager, and you've done a hell of a job delivery quarter on quarter results, but with all due respect your son's so-called kickflips are mob as fuck. His favorite skater is Aaron Kyro and rides a Revive decks and Cariuma shoes. Get your heads out of your collective asses."
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FUBAR

• Rep: 236
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2023, 02:39:16 AM »
I skated through my neighborhood the other day and got some disapproving looks from some of the Dads. Im new to this hood so I gave their wives a smile and wave (which they all returned bc I am sexy) and kept on rolling. I figured that was cool, helped weed out the dickheads I dont want to talk to. Im also probably 8-10 years older than most of them. So no, I dont hide it. Fuck em if they have a problem with it.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2023, 09:00:45 AM »
no

Streebo

• Rep: -31
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2023, 01:12:18 PM »
Yes 100%. Especially if I'm hanging out with non skaters. Mostly because the stigmas of stinky fried skater boys and their disconnect with reality. Skaters get a bad rep and I completely understand why.

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2023, 02:02:19 PM »
I don't hide it, but I rarely have full discussions, especially regarding specifics.

I have some old pictures of Blender, Grosso, and Gonz on my work desktop and I always get asked if that's me skating. I laugh and say nah, but... the photos are in black and white, or the skater is wearing neon shorts and skating some backyard halfpipe. Very clearly 1980's even if you didn't skate.

I'm 26, all my co-workers are 35+. Kinda makes me chuckle
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

blue

• Rep: -22
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2023, 03:15:14 PM »
I live in SF and still skate pretty regularly and I actively avoid telling anyone I still skate to avoid being even remotely associated with the gx1000 guys. I basically only skate alone because of how bad the scene is here. I also build choppers and lowriders so skating is not the forefront of my personality or hobbies but yeah, I avoid it at all costs.

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2023, 05:34:06 PM »
At work, yeah definitely.

Everyone knows, and I'm not hiding it, but it definitely hurts my career, so I try to avoid the conversation.

Outside work, I'm happy to talk about it.

sle_epy

• Rep: -94
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2023, 05:47:16 PM »

Everyone knows, and I'm not hiding it, but it definitely hurts my career, so I try to avoid the conversation.

How does it hurt your career?
eau de toilette: Sk8IQ by Sle_epy

signtime

• Rep: 1
  • Big Mountain Snowskating!
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2023, 06:09:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How does it hurt your career?

My industry is very stiff and scrutinized, so skateboarding isn't chill with like 10% of people. It's more productive to just stick to work-related conversation anyways.

c-dock

• Rep: 10
  • Lurker
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2023, 07:53:04 PM »
Never seen a point in hiding it. Growing up, kids in school who hardly knew me associated me with skateboarding. Not much has changed at my full time job now and it's had no negative impacts on my life. I won't go out of my way to bring it up to non skaters, but if people ask what I like to do, what my plans are after work etc., I'm not just gonna make something up. I skate whenever I have free time to, simple as that. Most people are open about their hobbies, so why shouldn't I be?

Piggybacking on this, couple weeks ago one of my coworkers who used to skate came out on a sesh with me. Homie hadn't been on a board since 2002 and landed a proper kickflip second try. He bought himself a new setup the next day

Being open about my skating got somebody else back on the board, so one more reason to not hide it