Author Topic: Golf  (Read 1142 times)

theintern43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -19
Golf
« on: August 25, 2020, 07:45:46 PM »
So I got super into golf recently,

so many details to pay attention to like skating and such a freeing feeling similar to cruising around

helps that my old man can join me while he cant ride straight on a board

anyone else on here like to go out and golf?  if nothing just hitting balls at the driving range is super therapeutic, forget about life and simply hit a white ball

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Re: Golf
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »
I like golf. My arms fucked right now so I can’t play for a while. It’s a good way to see mates that don’t skate etc
Solo driving range sessions are relaxing as fuck
listen to cosmic psychos

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 11:38:31 PM »
Mini golf drives me fucking crazy so hell no...

I work in finance so, of couse, every single bastard plays. Also, seems like a fucking drag: book a time slot, drive to the place, play that aweful game, eat at the super pricy place full of white people drinking wine... I think I'll pass..

But i can appreciate the autistic side of it.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 529
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 12:21:58 AM »
I'm tired of people comparing golf to skating. The only thing they have in common is they require concentration. You could say the same thing about juggling or playing darts. They're nothing alike except in the minds of people who started skating less and golfing more in an attempt to convince themselves that hitting a little plastic ball around a huge lawn is a good substitute for skateboarding, which it's not.

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 02:25:21 PM »
I love golf and skating. I think golf is actually harder than skating. Skating can mess up the body, but golf messes up the mind. In my opinion, hitting a perfect golf shot just like you imagined, and landing a hard trick or line you have been working on for a while, are the two best feelings in the world.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 04:43:40 PM »
"Golf is a good walk, spoiled."

--GG Allin

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 09:14:40 PM »
We got carts now
listen to cosmic psychos

theintern43

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 09:48:05 PM »
I'm tired of people comparing golf to skating. The only thing they have in common is they require concentration. You could say the same thing about juggling or playing darts. They're nothing alike except in the minds of people who started skating less and golfing more in an attempt to convince themselves that hitting a little plastic ball around a huge lawn is a good substitute for skateboarding, which it's not.

tell me how you really feel..

theintern43

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 09:50:36 PM »
Mini golf drives me fucking crazy so hell no...

I work in finance so, of couse, every single bastard plays. Also, seems like a fucking drag: book a time slot, drive to the place, play that aweful game, eat at the super pricy place full of white people drinking wine... I think I'll pass..

But i can appreciate the autistic side of it.

everything is what you make it, i have pretty open range to my time slots cause i know the guys, i love the game (not awful at all), smoke buds while playing, finish it off with a burger and a beer with my friends...not too bad

duster1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2020, 07:43:38 AM »
Want to get some second hand clubs and start playing Pitch and Putt again. Used to play every week with some friends, but then I started watching golf videos and somehow totally ruined my swing.

Going to get a bucket of old balls and practice hitting them in an open field. The feeling of hitting a good shot is very similar to landing a trick. Never got lessons, so I have some really bad habits.

For instance, my swing is not a full swing, but more of a half swing like a chip shot. Golf really is what you make it, I just want to improve enough to enjoy casual playing on public courses. Elitism needs to be gone from the game.
Skating and Baitin

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1579
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2020, 11:16:25 AM »
Golf is fun. It is good to be outside.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2020, 04:53:46 AM »
Got a love hate relationship with golf. Super fun and relaxing when it works out but also very frustrating when it doesnt. Definitely brings out the worst in me.

Some similarities to skating like individuality, but also big differences. Main thing for me being that in skating it doesnt matter if you miss a trick, you have infinite tries so I never get frustrated or angry unless I'm filming something and even then its more pretending so that the filmer doesnt think im just wasting his time. In golf though, every Bad shot counts so like half The times I play I end up wishing I could somehow bring my clubs to life just so that I could then murder them one by one. Definitely teaches you patience since that kind of a mindset will only further ruin your game.

Anyone play a golf drinking game? Tried it out with a couple friends this summer, winner of the hole took a shot of gin and second took half a shot. Point being that it should even things out between good and bad players. Didn't really work out since the more drunk I got the better I played but it was really fun!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 06:00:56 AM by Hevonen »

MeanestCleanestPenis

• Rep: 40
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 01:35:11 PM »
I'm a much better golfer than a skater these days. I was kind of strange in that I got good as a young kid so when I went back to it as an adult I was given a 7 handicap which I've lowered quite a bit in the last 6 years. I feel like people's opinion of golf depends where you're from. In the UK it is really easy to get a yearly membership for £400-£500 a year and you can play every day so it's actually cheaper than joining a gym. If you have good crew it can be a great chance to spend 3-4 hours with friends without heading to a bar. There is some bullshit in golf but some of it is similar to skating in that you don't have as much mixing now and the newer folk don't get shown what's up by the older heads and therefore poor behavior goes unchecked. A lot of it is pretty simple, if you are slow fourball let the two ball behind play through, try to be quiet when others are playing, don't wear anything too ridiculous. I was really fortunate as a kid people showed me what was up without being condescending.

In the UK it's definitely a sport, most people play by the rules and competitions are common with people wanting to improve. Nearly all the clubs have competitions on the weekend so if you want to play sat/sun morning you almost have to join them. It America it seems like more of a leisure activity, people go out in carts, drink beer and sometimes even listen to music. Not really my thing, I want to get a walk and only like drinking at night. So I'll usually play 8-10 competitions a year and the rest of the time I'm playing with friends usually gambling £10-£30 on the outcome, lots of shit talking and laughs.

It terms of similarities to skating...one thing I know is that with both sometimes you just don't have it and no matter what you do nothing is gonna work so there is a similar frustration there. The battle to keep your mind quiet is similar, like before a dangerous trick you're trying to visualize a good outcome and not let the bad creep in...but it's fucking hard not to! Same thing in golf just trying to keep the thought of bad shot out of your mind.

Another similarity is that you learn and perfect your basics and then try to apply them to the environment. So you have your flatground kickflip and  7 iron off the mat at the range. Then you try to take that kickflip to a 3 stair adjusting for variables like the slope of the run-up and rougher ground. Same with the 7 iron, the ball is a little above your feet so it gonna draw and the wind is into you so it will go a little shorter. In both once you get good you can make these adjustments super quick without thought.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 11:41:31 AM »
Started last year with golf. It is cool to do something together with my dad. But golf is freakin' difficult.
One day I lost all my shit and broke my iron. Never happened to me while skating haha
IG: @flowterspace

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 01:28:14 PM »
I only golf in the crust

C.J. Gap

• Rep: -1
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 12:26:32 PM »
Who is the Bryson DeChambeau of skateboarding?

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1001
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2020, 03:42:28 PM »

We talking weird breakdown of tricks/shots? Suciu. If you're talking thick bois then prob c2010 Andrew Allen.

C.J. Gap

• Rep: -1
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2020, 04:18:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

We talking weird breakdown of tricks/shots? Suciu. If you're talking thick bois then prob c2010 Andrew Allen.
Lol! The former. I dig the Suciu comp.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2020, 04:28:32 PM »
I golfed once.

Mini golf, many many times.

"Fore!"

L33Tg33k

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
  • F.A.P. - Forever Alone Party
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 09:02:07 PM »
Golfing is amazing. All the clubs I have were .95 cents from thrift stores. All golfing is walking, drinking, and hanging with friends. I'm not good and I don't plan on getting good, but I'm always down to play. If any of you pals are in SD, feel free to message me about hitting the links.
Before you say the music sucked, have you considered shutting the fuck up?

metsuri

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 04:47:09 AM »
I too caught the golf bug just recently. I went to the range for the first time in July and it was straight off the deep end. I got my green card in early August and now that's all I'd do if I had the time and money. A family man has neither.

It's definitely cutting back on my skating time, for now at least. I've been going to the range in the morning before work and I try to play at least once a week. And I have some sports TV channels to watch football and I noticed that they show the PGA tour as well, so now I've gotten super into watching that on weekends.

I definitely agree that when skating, it doesn't matter if you have to try a trick several times, you only remember the make. But in golf, you're fucked if you "bail" a few in a row.

There are some similarities between skating and golf like balance, adjusting your stance, shoulders, where to look etc. I feel like coming from skating, it's kind of natural to pay attention to such details.

Golf is definitely difficult and I'm loving the challenge.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 07:02:19 AM »
Just came to say that I call it "galf" and it makes me laugh
Nothing against the sport though

50mm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 290
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2020, 08:03:45 AM »
I used to love to golf since I was a kid. I don’t even know how my dad got into it cause he’s Mexican blue collar 9-5 type and we weren’t rich. Probably a buddy of his.

But I used to like to play and just hit at the driving range. Then I signed up to do it in high school and after 2 months of having to play every day I haven’t actively wants to golf in like 10 years. Driving range is fun though.

My family gets together once a year and golfs but one side of my family sucks ass so I don’t go anymore.

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2020, 08:10:13 AM »
I got kicked off the golf team in high school for ditching practice to skate. Coach saw me skating a bank parking lot. Whatever, the 2 coaches were dicks and thought they were above their status as small town farm adjacent people with a little money. Talked shit about my clubs, which were some old ass Dunlop’s that my dad used in the 80s.

I played more after high school with my cousin. It mostly involved drinking and a means to get out of the house on the weekends. Played a couple of team tournaments with them, always did alright but never won anything.

I haven’t played in probably 15 years though, it’s something I’d like to pick up again, but there’s a lot on my plate and I don’t need another thing to bog down my Sunday.

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2020, 08:27:05 AM »
I got kicked off the golf team in high school for ditching practice to skate. Coach saw me skating a bank parking lot. Whatever, the 2 coaches were dicks and thought they were above their status as small town farm adjacent people with a little money. Talked shit about my clubs, which were some old ass Dunlop’s that my dad used in the 80s.

I played more after high school with my cousin. It mostly involved drinking and a means to get out of the house on the weekends. Played a couple of team tournaments with them, always did alright but never won anything.

I haven’t played in probably 15 years though, it’s something I’d like to pick up again, but there’s a lot on my plate and I don’t need another thing to bog down my Sunday.
My dad lived where the golf course was, where practice was every day. My cousin who was from the hood was living with us at that time, he was like 3 years older than me, got me into skating and stuff, but short and looked young. He used to show up to the practice once we got away from coaches and he would play with us. A couple of the kids on the team I would play with were talking about some guys that are bullies or some shit, I never had an experience with them. Well no sooner than that discussion came up, my cousin puts his ball on the tee and one of these dudes comes up and kicks his ball and tee's his up and says "Move your balls ladies." It was so tight because my cousin was like what the fuck? And went ballistic in front of the kids those dudes were messing with. He told them if they didn't pick up their ball and get the fuck out he was going to beat the shit out of both of them right here on the green in front of everyone. They picked up their ball, apologized and moved on. None of those kids got fucked with and we laugh about it to this day.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 437
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 12:13:36 PM »
Randomly played a round on vacation last week. Was staying at a resort that had a course. Rented clubs and a cart, I parred(not sure if that's a real term) a few holes and totally got the appeal. I'd play again, I was racing the setting sun, last few holes I was swinging and then sprinting back to the cart to get to the next stroke. Probably more enjoyable played slower with some beers.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

50mm

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 12:19:42 PM »
Randomly played a round on vacation last week. Was staying at a resort that had a course. Rented clubs and a cart, I parred(not sure if that's a real term) a few holes and totally got the appeal. I'd play again, I was racing the setting sun, last few holes I was swinging and then sprinting back to the cart to get to the next stroke. Probably more enjoyable played slower with some beers.
How many yards were the holes? That would be pretty insane to be getting a few pars your first time golfing. Maybe I'm just jealous. I played baseball mostly and always open up the club when I swing so my ball always cuts right.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 793
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2020, 12:30:46 PM »
golf can be very fun and relaxing.  haven't played since I was a kid, but I have fond memories of the summer or two i messed around with it.  i feel like its kind of like playing pool on a table as big as a football field, and you get to enjoy nature walks in between shots. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2020, 05:32:21 PM »
We got carts now

I’d rather walk.

Started golfing in my early 20s as a way to keep in touch with my dad, but would only play a couple times a year. I started getting seriously into it in the last few years and bought my first set of clubs (always used hand-me-downs) this season. In the last two years I went from always hitting just over 100 to hitting in the mid 80s. I’m hoping at some point I learn how to putt so I can break 80.

Pretty excited for the Tiger documentary coming out in January.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2020, 08:58:11 PM »
I love golf.

If your with friends playing scramble is fun

I'm in that weird area where technically I'm good, but I always think I'm going to get smoked.

I like the creativity of shaping shots, using clubs in different ways etc.

I've golfed some tourneys and talk about pressure. 1st t shot in a tourney is insane, no matter how good you are.
Gentleman ninja warlock