Author Topic: The Business of Living By Marc Johnson  (Read 6971 times)

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: The Business of Living By Marc Johnson
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2020, 06:27:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The latter half of Marc Johnson's career is a fascinating exercise in Dunning-Kruger effect and the skateboard industry.
[close]

i'm not even denying what you're saying here, but all of a sudden all of the aspiring psychologists here in Slap seem like they  really love to dispense this diagnosis--was there some kind of Slap psychology webinar that i missed or something?
[close]

thanks for saying this. can someone explain to me how saying "exercise in dunning-kruger effect" is any different than simply saying "exercise in being a dumbass"?
[close]
Easy, he's a dumbass who doesn't realize he's a dumbass so everything dumbass thing he does is exacerbated because he doesn't realize how much of a dumbass he is and thus, doesn't have the foresight to say "wait, maybe this is a dumbass thing to do"... because he's a dumbass. He's too much of a dumbass to realize he's incompetent, as opposed to a dumbass who knows he's a dumbass.

Also, you're not "diagnosed" with it. It's not an illness.
[close]

oh man, thanks for the clarification--i knew their were some real psychologists here in Slap.

of course i made that simplistic mistake, my degrees are all just in the humanities...we try to draw from fields like psychology in our critical endeavors, but i'll be the first to admit we can be pretty bungling and ham-handed at times.

sorry if i'm being thick here and all, but when you wrote above that the "latter half of Marc Johnson's career is a fascinating exercise in Dunning-Kruger effect and the skateboard industry," you are making some kind of diagnosis as to why poor old MJ--and assumedly other pros who try their hand at intellectual and/or philosophical stuff--is doing and saying what he's been doing and saying, and acting the way he's been acting, aren't you?

hey man, or then again, maybe you could really show us all what a smart grown up you are, and just "kook" me bro...
[close]
You okay, man?
[close]

oh, i’m fair to middling...you on the other hand are simply adorable
I know everyone's having a rough time right now, myself included. If you need someone to chat with, my DMs are open.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2020, 06:31:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The latter half of Marc Johnson's career is a fascinating exercise in Dunning-Kruger effect and the skateboard industry.
[close]

i'm not even denying what you're saying here, but all of a sudden all of the aspiring psychologists here in Slap seem like they  really love to dispense this diagnosis--was there some kind of Slap psychology webinar that i missed or something?
[close]

thanks for saying this. can someone explain to me how saying "exercise in dunning-kruger effect" is any different than simply saying "exercise in being a dumbass"?
[close]
Easy, he's a dumbass who doesn't realize he's a dumbass so everything dumbass thing he does is exacerbated because he doesn't realize how much of a dumbass he is and thus, doesn't have the foresight to say "wait, maybe this is a dumbass thing to do"... because he's a dumbass. He's too much of a dumbass to realize he's incompetent, as opposed to a dumbass who knows he's a dumbass.

Also, you're not "diagnosed" with it. It's not an illness.
[close]

oh man, thanks for the clarification--i knew their were some real psychologists here in Slap.

of course i made that simplistic mistake, my degrees are all just in the humanities...we try to draw from fields like psychology in our critical endeavors, but i'll be the first to admit we can be pretty bungling and ham-handed at times.

sorry if i'm being thick here and all, but when you wrote above that the "latter half of Marc Johnson's career is a fascinating exercise in Dunning-Kruger effect and the skateboard industry," you are making some kind of diagnosis as to why poor old MJ--and assumedly other pros who try their hand at intellectual and/or philosophical stuff--is doing and saying what he's been doing and saying, and acting the way he's been acting, aren't you?

hey man, or then again, maybe you could really show us all what a smart grown up you are, and just "kook" me bro...
[close]
You okay, man?
[close]

oh, i’m fair to middling...you on the other hand are simply adorable
[close]
I know everyone's having a rough time right now, myself included. If you need someone to chat with, my DMs are open.

that's really nice man...i'm teaching 3 classes at 2 different universities this semester, so i'm good on people to chat with, but thanks...

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2020, 10:10:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’d rather watch Cliff Kaufman eat a hot dog
[close]
I'd rather watch Tony Clifton dog a bad broad.
[close]
I'd rather watch Clifford the Big Red Dog dog a broad.
[close]
I'd rather watch my wife take a job abroad.
I'd rather watch dog, dog, dog eat dog