Author Topic: Animal Chin?  (Read 1672 times)

DontBlowNoBubbles

Animal Chin?
« on: August 28, 2020, 03:37:07 PM »
Given the current zeitgeist, what say you about Animal Chin?

Personally, for as much as I understand and respect current movements and attitudes directed toward understanding and correcting decades-old cultural malfeasance, I'm just not sure I want to give up my internalized Chin narrative.  Looking at the image reminds me why I skate.

Is it fine for me to keep those Powell posters on my garage wall, to post Chin images on my Insta-, to occasionally rock the "Have You Seen Him" T-shirt?  Or, am I tacitly encouraging and perpetuating certain tropes and stereotypes that are better off left behind.  Perhaps all of this is too much navel-gazing, too much thinking about no big deal?  It's Friday and I don't want to correct another student paper;)

Eric Dolphy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 524
Re: Animal Chin?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 04:11:34 PM »
Given the current zeitgeist, what say you to be your favourite animal chin?

Personally, for me i like a good goat chin, or a dog with an underbite like a Griffin or a Boxer.

Is it fine for me to derail this thread and turn it into a feelgood thread about animals with great chin? It's Saturday and I don't want to read another bullshit thread about judging the past through the lens of the present

If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 165
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 04:15:32 PM »
I can’t figure out if you’re trollin. Like you’re talking about pc stuff but your username is don’t blow no bubbles. Maybe you didn’t know about the song.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

DontBlowNoBubbles

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »
1. derail away, or don't...it's all good.  we can do both.
2. not trollin'...username = inside joke (mockery of song w/skate friends) + reference to Questionable...totally get your confusion...

UselessAsshole

• Rep: 200
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2020, 04:28:58 PM »
Given the current zeitgeist, what say you to be your favourite animal chin?

Personally, for me i like a good goat chin, or a dog with an underbite like a Griffin or a Boxer.

Is it fine for me to derail this thread and turn it into a feelgood thread about animals with great chin? It's Saturday and I don't want to read another bullshit thread about judging the past through the lens of the present

Capuchin monkey, hands down. Very scratchable looking beard chins.

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2020, 04:50:27 PM »
Animal Chin was a celebration of stoke.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 04:52:32 PM »
An email chain

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2020, 04:55:23 PM »
It's a corny video. Probably one of my least favorite videos from that era. I always thought that the end on the Chin ramp was weird because what the fuck is Tommy supposed to do?

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 813
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2020, 05:10:05 PM »

Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2020, 05:55:36 PM »
It’s the first skate video i ever saw and it feels like a holy artifact to me, corny scenes and all

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 165
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2020, 08:36:04 PM »
His first name was Won Ton

Kyle fan

• Rep: -16
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 09:15:51 PM »
when Animal Chin came out they made up a special batch of fortune cookies with skate related fortunes in them.  got one from my local shop.

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 09:20:57 PM »
Did yours ever come true?

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -3
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2020, 12:15:28 AM »
Chin is within.

Pipe Dreamer

• Rep: 24
  • Slap hard Slap often
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2020, 12:44:29 AM »
I haven't seen him tbh.

companguero

• Rep: 248
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 02:15:18 AM »
... I always thought that the end on the Chin ramp was weird because what the fuck is Tommy supposed to do?

They built part of the ramp just for him and he has a whole part where he sessions it

And check it out holmes, without him none of the other guys would've found the deer crossing.

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 06:47:57 PM »
it's silly and nice. Johnny Rad is rad and I have the have you seen him tshirt I love it

Classy Durag

• Rep: 62
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 06:52:53 PM »

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2020, 08:20:47 PM »
Nancy Chin, the manicurist?

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2020, 05:33:48 AM »
Nancy Chin, the manicurist?

Had some drinks with her the other day, Buck Chin, the Realtor, was there too. Didn't see Animal though.

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2020, 08:56:38 AM »
That reminds me I have an Animal Chin poster somewhere that should be hanging up in my garage. I wonder if I should stock up on Have You Seen Him stickers. 

I don't think there was any cultural appropriation or stereotyping happening with it. He was a fictional character of asian descent that made the first skateboard. But, I'm a while male so I dunno if I should be the judge of anything.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 09:05:43 AM »
Obviously it was from the eighties so it had to include some racial stereotypes about Asian people. We couldn’t let the Japanese beat us so the Reagan admin mandated that every movie include an Asian character that had magical/mystical powers OR was a huge nerd. I’m still not sure how they allowed Back to the Future given the rules.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 09:41:01 AM »
I had seen the Bones Brigade Video Show and Future Primitive. Then all of the ads for Animal Chin, but the 2 guys I knew that had the VHS of animal chin kept giving me the runaround "Oh dude, I lent it to Dave" "Oh it's at my dad's house" or whatever. I'm pretty sure I annoyed a lot of my "skate friends" because I never had videos or anything to compensate all of my borrowing and shit. I was not rolling in the dough as a wee lad. I basically never got around to seeing it during its heyday. I saw Public domain, and then Animal chin (so I saw it after PD but before Ban This), and it felt dated. After seeing Barbee, Hill, etc. going back to see the skits of animal Chin was not working for me. I have this theory that had I seen it when it came out, I would have really liked it. So I have weird feelings about this video still. Sort of "I missed out on that era" (even though it was just that one summer really) feelings.

As far as actual animal chins, I'm going with Giraffe. Those guys are the best.

McBrandt

• Rep: -13
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2020, 11:54:52 AM »
It was the first video I saw, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. I was in the skate shop when I was 10, and some older skaters put it on. Wallows seemed like the coolest place ever to skate, in my young mind.