Author Topic: VX2100 and FCPX capturing problems  (Read 1008 times)

Robertdbanks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
VX2100 and FCPX capturing problems
« on: February 23, 2020, 11:40:29 PM »
So I recently got a deal on a VX2100 - shot a little bit of test footage with it and when I go to capture it on FCPX it doesn’t want to pick up the audio with the video. I have been using a Canon XHA1 to capture with as it’s the only other camera I have at the moment that also uses MiniDV tapes and that I have a firewire for.

I’m mostly wondering what set up people are using to capture their VX footage on because looking it up online it seems like more and more programs aren’t supporting the footage type.

If it counts for anything I have the audio settings on the camera set to 16-bit.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:42:25 PM by Robertdbanks »

Lewi2s

• Rep: 0
Re: VX2100 and FCPX capturing problems
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 04:12:15 AM »
I'm having trouble capturing the video from the tapes from a Sony DCR-VX2100 camera into my FCP7 Talk To Wendys.

dooley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 07:16:27 AM »

sn00p

• Rep: 25
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 08:28:31 AM »
it’s sometimes pretty difficult to diagnose where a problem is coming from with mini dv. it could be within the vx or it could just be your capture cam. it’s hard to tell how well the previous owner(s) took care of the vx. I had an issue with audio dropping a couple weeks ago and tried filming with two different vx1000’s trying to figure out if the problem was coming from there. I ended up borrowing a friends capture cam and everything captured fine. so the problem was my capture camera. my first suggestion would be to borrow/buy another capture cam before sending the vx out for repair.

Robertdbanks

• Rep: 1
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2020, 09:28:17 AM »
it’s sometimes pretty difficult to diagnose where a problem is coming from with mini dv. it could be within the vx or it could just be your capture cam. it’s hard to tell how well the previous owner(s) took care of the vx. I had an issue with audio dropping a couple weeks ago and tried filming with two different vx1000’s trying to figure out if the problem was coming from there. I ended up borrowing a friends capture cam and everything captured fine. so the problem was my capture camera. my first suggestion would be to borrow/buy another capture cam before sending the vx out for repair.

Yeah, I’ve been capturing from the Canon XHA1 - which was giving me the same problem with old tapes I had with GL2 footage - so I ordered a new firewire last night so I can try to capture directly from the VX. If that works I’ll hunt down a capture camera. I just want to make sure that FCPX and the VX footage can be compatible.

Thank you for the info!

bmxer

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »
Double check you are allowing permission for FCPX to access your camera AND microphone. Strange I know but the first time I went to capture VX footage in FCPX I had no video, no nothing. Diagnosed it to this. I captured from a VX2100 and a random Panasonic capture cam with no issues

System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy Tab > Scroll down to Camera and Microphone and make sure FCP has access to both

If that doesn't help it might be capture cam

BigFrank

• Rep: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2020, 10:58:23 PM »
I capture on iMovie and then open the reel into final cut. Shit used to crash whenever I would open final cut and try to capture on it. Hope that helps. I use a vx btw

anagracee

• Rep: 0
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 08:10:35 AM »
I'm having trouble capturing the video from the tapes from a Sony DCR-VX2100 camera into my FCP7 Talk To Wendys.

It may be that FCP can't see your deck directly thru the hard drive. I have heard of other people having similar issues when not connecting the camera directly to their computer.
You might try to set the capture device to "non-controllable device" and then see if you get video in the preview screen.