Author Topic: Design flaws with each trucks.  (Read 2902 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -333
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Design flaws with each trucks.
« on: September 02, 2020, 07:44:47 PM »
Okay so I’ve got a few bones to pick with each truck I’ve had.

Thunder;
 Axel slipping, kingpins break, also baseplates to wheel placement. How the fuck didn’t they know this shit would happen? 

Ever changed out a set of those trucks and got to the front and was like what the fuck?

Ventures;
Ahhhh the bane of my existence, I’ve crushed a set of featherlights hangers and kingpins along with the baseplate issue.

Now don’t think I’m not going to leave out my favorites, I’ve got a few things to say about them too.

Indy’s weaker materials especially the hollows and kingpins.  Baseplate weaker mounting holes oval out.

Ace the QC is rad but the flaws definitely put me off, I have been babying them and skating ledges and mini ramps.
Dueces Bitch's

Slayer666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
Re: Design flaws with each trucks.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2020, 08:30:03 PM »
Wtf is QC pose to mean

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 08:33:24 PM »
Wtf is QC pose to mean

Most people spell it OCD but Slap truck nerds spell it QC.

texasplant

• Rep: 84
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 02:19:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Wtf is QC pose to mean
[close]

Quality control?...

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 05:59:13 AM »
Been using Thunders for the last 6 years and before that I mainly used Independents and Venture. In my early days I tried Royal, Krux and Silver. The only complaint I ever had was the hanger on the Ventures made it annoying to tighten the bolts.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 06:36:49 AM »
i've thought about like welding extra metal onto the end of a thunder baseplate to give it wheel clearance. Once my current thunders are done I'm gonna do some experiements and see if it works

i've never used deck rails so idk how they're mounted or anything but just thinking about it what if you just put like a piece of rail in front of the baseplate that should give you clearance right?

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 06:42:37 AM »
i have no clue what is meant by the thunder complaints. I've never had issue with thunders aside from breaking kingpins on a few sets a long long time ago.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 06:54:17 AM »
i have no clue what is meant by the thunder complaints. I've never had issue with thunders aside from breaking kingpins on a few sets a long long time ago.

It's not a quality control complaint, it's that your wheels are closer to the ledge on nose/tail slides, making it easier to hang up. It's not as big a deal as most people make it out to be since you can absolutely still slide without the wheels rubbing, but a little extra clearance would be nice ala the new Tensors.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 06:53:48 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's not a quality control complaint, it's that your wheels are closer to the ledge on nose/tail slides, making it easier to hang up. It's not as big a deal as most people make it out to be since you can absolutely still slide without the wheels rubbing, but a little extra clearance would be nice ala the new Tensors.
I’ve mentioned it to Jim on this issue and haven’t heard from him but I’ll let y’all know if he writes back.

For real though I’m not shitting on Thunders they’ve got a great history but the baseplate and kingpins issue something that happened more then a couple times over the years.
Dueces Bitch's

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 06:57:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I’ve mentioned it to Jim on this issue and haven’t heard from him but I’ll let y’all know if he writes back.

For real though I’m not shitting on Thunders they’ve got a great history but the baseplate and kingpins issue something that happened more then a couple times over the years.

Yeah please let us know. Jim is my favorite skater and favorite businessman, you think he rides Thunders or Indy?

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wtf is QC pose to mean
[close]

[close]
Quality control?...
which truck is best for CQC

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 08:43:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wtf is QC pose to mean
[close]

[close]
Quality control?...
[close]
bullet trucks, they are cheap so you can use them as projectiles

gullwings fly further so you not good for cqc but good for sniping

trackers can home in on target, useful if you suffer from parkinson and are barely able to aim

thunders used to be made out of old handgrenades.

you can take out the washers out of any truck, sharpen the edges, maybe cut out a few spikes, and use them as mini shuriken.

the best baseplate to punch people would probably be some older indy made in usa baseplate. make sure to change the hangar to thunder because those are ergonomically better suited for adult hands. the fact that you stamp their face with made in usa written backwards adds insult to injury.

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 864
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 08:47:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wtf is QC pose to mean
[close]

[close]
Quality control?...
[close]
[close]
bullet trucks, they are cheap so you can use them as projectiles

gullwings fly further so you not good for cqc but good for sniping

trackers can home in on target, useful if you suffer from parkinson and are barely able to aim

thunders used to be made out of old handgrenades.

you can take out the washers out of any truck, sharpen the edges, maybe cut out a few spikes, and use them as mini shuriken.

the best baseplate to punch people would probably be some older indy made in usa baseplate. make sure to change the hangar to thunder because those are ergonomically better suited for adult hands. the fact that you stamp their face with made in usa written backwards adds insult to injury.
bravo
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 07:15:48 AM »

Spoke with Jim T last night about Thunder's design flaws and hopefully we can have a dialogue tonight and speak fully about this.
Dueces Bitch's

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 07:25:18 AM »

Spoke with Jim T last night about Thunder's design flaws and hopefully we can have a dialogue tonight and speak fully about this.

This thread, along with the Sales Thread have been added to my list daily watched threads. Would be great if the baseplate got a redesign.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 07:27:32 AM »
Thunder X SLAP truck coming soon?
Suggestion:
Ti axles with RAW hangers and baseplates and silver hardware and one of each color bushing (blue, orange ,yellow, red) laser engrave "SLAP" under the hanger.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 07:46:19 AM »
i would check out a redesigned thunder.

used to ride them from 2003-2008, but then was tired of kingpins breaking and axle slipping.

getting the kingpin out and a new one in was also really difficult with these for some reason, i remember i had to go to two shops to get the kingpin remains out of one truck, then broke the other trucks kingpin two days later and had the same problem again which ultimately made me try indys.

i love my ventures, but sometimes i want a truck that gives that low, easy popping feeling, which venture his defs aren't. that's why i kind of want a secondary setup with aces or thunders.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 81
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 08:24:01 AM »
Thunder has amazing service. I broke 2 kingpins, and I got a new pair of trucks for free!
I do skate the raws now tho, so no hollow kingpin.

The problem with "fixing" the baseplate on Thunders is that you would have to make it like nearly 1cm longer. If the board has very few fingers of flat, the baseplate will have a gap towards the kicks.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 08:36:45 AM »
I'll let you guys know when I speak to him around 8ish Eastern standard time zone.

So as stated beforehand  I'm going to try to have a say in the redesign of the truck's any and all opinions on how to improve from YOU guy's would be rad and possibly have a collaboration for SLAP Thunder's design would be sick as fuck.
Dueces Bitch's

bongboarder420

• Rep: 60
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 08:41:28 AM »
only thing i would change on thunder trucks is just make the baseplate stick out a little longer so it slides better like an independent or venture

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 08:47:35 AM »
I have this problem with Thunders only when I'm skating some of the curbs near me that have a slight angle. Not as angled as something like a parking block but not 90* square. But on any ledge that is 90* square I have no problem at all.

I do prefer the grind of Ace or even Indy, that's the one big beef I have with Thunders. Thats why I have Ace and Indys on other boards.

DA BIG BODY BENZ

• Rep: -122
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 09:53:30 AM »

used to ride them from 2003-2008, but then was tired of kingpins breaking and axle slipping.

getting the kingpin out and a new one in was also really difficult with these for some reason, i remember i had to go to two shops to get the kingpin remains out of one truck, then broke the other trucks kingpin two days later and had the same problem again which ultimately made me try indys.

i love my ventures, but sometimes i want a truck that gives that low, easy popping feeling, which venture his defs aren't. that's why i kind of want a secondary setup with aces or thunders.

Uhhhh venture lo's?

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 10:59:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Uhhhh venture lo's?

Lol my thoughts exactly
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

finecojeffe

• Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 11:14:35 AM »
I've never had the issue with the baseplates on thunders being too short, so I've never even thought about it....and now forevermore I'm probably going to only think about this when I skate and have issues. So thanks for getting with Jim and hopefully they can correct this problem.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2020, 11:25:36 AM »
I've never had the issue with the baseplates on thunders being too short, so I've never even thought about it....and now forevermore I'm probably going to only think about this when I skate and have issues. So thanks for getting with Jim and hopefully they can correct this problem.
I know it seems nitpicking but it’s been bugging me as I’ve gotten flatspots on shitty crupi wheels from slides, I wouldn’t mind if they were address the issue and change it but if not I just like having my voice heard.
Dueces Bitch's

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »
Never had baseplate issues with Thunders. If anything, my tailslides and noseslides lock in and feel much better than on my Ventures.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
Never had baseplate issues with Thunders. If anything, my tailslides and noseslides lock in and feel much better than on my Ventures.
Never really thought about that aspect though, such a simple idea that makes sense tbh.
Dueces Bitch's

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2020, 01:11:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Uhhhh venture lo's?
[close]

Lol my thoughts exactly
i know what you guys mean, but i'd like to have something else than ventures other than height if i even keep an alternate set up, just to have some variety.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2020, 02:47:35 PM »

I proposed y'all's idea for a SLAP Collab Shalom in the colors or a SLAP flying wing he liked the idea of it but since Covid-19 has shutdown everything it's not entirely possible but he said he is definitely down for making a collaboration happen just give him time.
Dueces Bitch's

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1938
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2020, 04:04:24 PM »

I proposed y'all's idea for a SLAP Collab Shalom in the colors or a SLAP flying wing he liked the idea of it but since Covid-19 has shutdown everything it's not entirely possible but he said he is definitely down for making a collaboration happen just give him time.

I would scalp 20 pairs and sell them on the Sales Thread as part of the entry fee to becoming a Slap Pal. Sick you managed to get some time in with him to give customer feedback.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m