Author Topic: Help with ollie. Back foot comes off board.  (Read 3339 times)

Fledgeling_Phoenix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Help with ollie. Back foot comes off board.
« on: September 03, 2020, 04:50:16 PM »
Slow-mo of ollie. Am I scraping front foot up too long and/or too high before leveling out?

https://youtu.be/gkbzdgsWg2Y

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
Re: Help with ollie. Back foot comes off board.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 09:35:34 PM »
Watch these two vids and get back to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYYI9mgxRwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpcc43NV394

But for reals learn some taekwondo and kick that shit homie

it takes time. sometimes longer for others

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 10:47:09 PM »
I'm not really sure here but I think the problem is in your back foot. Work on snapping the tail down harder.

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 162
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 09:13:10 PM »
I'm not really sure here but I think the problem is in your back foot. Work on snapping the tail down harder.
Yeah Hairy is right. When I first saw it I thought maybe you had new grip new shoes because the board is just stuck to your front foot. You almost follie or no click ollie.

Got to get more comfortable on your board. Almost looks like your scared. You could hurt yourself but it's just an ollie.

Try olling onto something close to knee high for practice or up a two or three stair.

Then land manual revert fakie flip out  and give your filmer the double bird just saying

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2020, 05:21:06 AM »
Very interesting. I have no idea the issue but glad you posted in slow mo. Here is what I am seeing:

• Your body is coming out of the bent knee position far ahead of the tail tap.
  • back foot on tail tap is going slightly backwards.

Seems like you are getting over the object with your front foot first and then catching up with back paddle and that’s hard. Try  having your legs react faster and think about clearing object with your back foot not your front foot and then catching up to the board.

When I warm up I am doing ollies where I keep my back leg straight after popping and allow the tail to stay low to the ground. I find it helps with leg to leg communication. Another thing you could try is to push your back foot forward after you tap your tail.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 01:37:10 PM »
It's just timing imo bud. These guys ^ have some great pointers. Too me you're legs seem to straighten to much too fast maybe? I had a similar problem too when I first was learning ollies. I would take my parents VHS camcorder film myself and analyzed the fuck out of it, and back then there was noone to ask (LATE 80's)  ;) So I just kept practicing non-stop and got more comfortable on the board in general and it worked itself out. You will get it and it will feel damn good.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 02:23:12 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 03:43:42 PM »
Great observations, especially the back foot/pop being a little backwards. This is key along with another bit of advice I got on reddit suggesting I pop straight down and not lunge forward so much. I think practicing more of a downward pop more square over the board will help me to correct this issue and the ollies will feel and hopefully look much better. I feel like if you don't have a solid proper ollie you've skipped the most important trick and foundation in all of skating.

Very interesting. I have no idea the issue but glad you posted in slow mo. Here is what I am seeing:

• Your body is coming out of the bent knee position far ahead of the tail tap.
  • back foot on tail tap is going slightly backwards.

Seems like you are getting over the object with your front foot first and then catching up with back paddle and that’s hard. Try  having your legs react faster and think about clearing object with your back foot not your front foot and then catching up to the board.

When I warm up I am doing ollies where I keep my back leg straight after popping and allow the tail to stay low to the ground. I find it helps with leg to leg communication. Another thing you could try is to push your back foot forward after you tap your tail.

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 07:30:55 PM »
You are leaning back too much

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 06:53:37 PM »
The weird thing is that I am really comfortable on my board otherwise. I can ride transition and 50-50 grind backside and frontside. I can do frontside disasters and kickflip to fakie on a hip. I can boardslide to fakie and I rip frontside slappies. I can do drop ins and roll-ins on the quarter and lots of other stuff. But I've somehow developed a shitty ollie which was much better a year or so ago. I just turned 50 years old so flatground sessions are getting a little harder but I think it's just bad technique. I've been practicing my scrape at home just to get that muscle memory in my front foot and tomorrow I start re-learning my ollie staying more square over my board and using more downward pressure than forward momentum. I can see it in my head what corrections I need to make from the advice I got and just need to apply it on the board tomorrow. I'm not even going to go to the skatepark for a while. Going to practice in a schoolyard with a nice smooth surface and just drill the ollie.

Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah Hairy is right. When I first saw it I thought maybe you had new grip new shoes because the board is just stuck to your front foot. You almost follie or no click ollie.

Got to get more comfortable on your board. Almost looks like your scared. You could hurt yourself but it's just an ollie.

Try olling onto something close to knee high for practice or up a two or three stair.

Then land manual revert fakie flip out  and give your filmer the double bird just saying

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 06:55:41 PM »
I think its the opposite and that I am leaning forward and too much which is making my back foot almost pop backward rather than downward as I've been advised here by others.

You are leaning back too much

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 07:30:07 PM »
It's hard to tell because of the slo mo. But sometimes when I ollie without enough speed I try to compensate by leaning forward too much. Maybe that's what is happening here. Either way it's awesome that you're skating at 50.

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 08:12:44 PM »
Thanks!

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 02:23:11 PM »
So I did lots of ollies today over a crack and feel a little more comfortable and think my timing and tail pop improved. I focused on more downward pressure when popping my tail, staying square over the board, working on the timing of my front foot and just trying to stay relaxed. Started feeling better towards the end of the session and was looking down at my board less and using more balaNce and feel. I definitely did at least 100 ollies. Unfortunately I’m riding an old board with worn out grip and tail. Just waiting for the new boards I ordered to arrive so I can practice with a fresh setup.

https://youtu.be/Pz62NpYqkCQ

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 02:35:21 PM »

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 02:54:00 PM »
I had to retire my ollie years ago because of a degenerative hip issue that would cause a lot of pain. But when I did ollie I preferred a board with a steep short tail. Yours looks a little flat

Olling over a board at fifty is a miracle for most people. Keep concentrating on that smack and the jump. Trying to learn some one foots or ollie norths might help too. To do them you actually push your front foot down to separate it from the board

keep skating

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 02:57:11 PM »
Best ollie of day 1 practice

https://youtu.be/1gbTazGE8ZQ

Phamous

• Rep: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 08:02:01 PM »
Hi Fledgeling_Phoenix can I ask what tips helped with you correcting your back foot? I have the same issue with moving ollies and it’s doing my head in!

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 07:04:21 AM »
Downward pressure, focus on floating over the object rather than lunging or pulling yourself over.practice sliding your front foot to the nose a lot. Get that muscle memory and strength in your front foot and leg. Those are the two main things. Square up over your board and pop downward, then quick slide with front foot to the nose changing the upward slide to a forward thrust to level out. Stay relaxed. It doesn’t take a lot of strength and exertion if you execute all the steps right. Also just study others who ollie well. You’ll see it’s all about getting a quick relaxed downward pop and a quick front foot slide and outward thrust to level out. I’ve stopped going to the skatepark and doing anything else but just drilling ollies over a crack for my past 3 sessions and it has helped tremendously already. Check out my progress. You can do it man. Just put in the time and effort to practice it mindfully. The ollie is really a beautiful art and I feel if you can master it with your own style it can change your entire outlook and skill set as a skater.

https://youtu.be/MyGAYBTzSpk

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 08:36:13 AM »
Holy shit that’s way better.  Good work.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 09:20:15 AM »
Downward pressure, focus on floating over the object rather than lunging or pulling yourself over.practice sliding your front foot to the nose a lot. Get that muscle memory and strength in your front foot and leg. Those are the two main things. Square up over your board and pop downward, then quick slide with front foot to the nose changing the upward slide to a forward thrust to level out. Stay relaxed. It doesn’t take a lot of strength and exertion if you execute all the steps right. Also just study others who ollie well. You’ll see it’s all about getting a quick relaxed downward pop and a quick front foot slide and outward thrust to level out. I’ve stopped going to the skatepark and doing anything else but just drilling ollies over a crack for my past 3 sessions and it has helped tremendously already. Check out my progress. You can do it man. Just put in the time and effort to practice it mindfully. The ollie is really a beautiful art and I feel if you can master it with your own style it can change your entire outlook and skill set as a skater.

Dude, the works paid off, happy for you.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »
Holy shit that’s way better.  Good work.

Thanks!

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 01:57:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dude, the works paid off, happy for you.

Thanks man!

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020, 05:18:12 PM »
Sick. Keep chipping away bud.

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 06:14:18 PM »
Sick. Keep chipping away bud.

I will thanks!

Phamous

« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »
Wow awesome progress and thanks for the useful tips! Much appreciate it! I’m already seeing some break throughs with your help! 👊🏽

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 05:33:20 PM »
Ollie drilling practice session 5. Fresh setup made a world of difference. Even boning them out a little.

https://youtu.be/lH6szf-57cc

Phamous

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2020, 06:03:27 PM »
Looks like you got them totally dialled! 👍🏽

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2020, 06:47:16 PM »
Looks like you got them totally dialled! 👍🏽

Thanks! I’m getting there. Feels great to make progress. Today I was focusing on my back foot placement on the tail trying to find that sweet spot for ideal pop. Was also focusing and playing around with my weight distribution while being squared up over the board.

Next will be exaggerating my scrape and thrust so my board levels out quicker to get a little more height and bone. I’ll have to start doing the “ninja kick” as many call it and really sucking my back leg up and slightly forward.

Glad my suggestions helped you.

Fledgeling_Phoenix

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2020, 07:31:12 AM »
So I’ve put in 8 sessions and probably 1000 ollies or more. The left video is my first attempt at ollieing one board and the right video is session 8 yesterday. Happy to say goodbye to the ugly rocket ollie on the left. Just need to tweek my timing a little where I pop a little earlier from my crouch but happy to be progressing. Interestingly I stopped by the skatepark after my ollie session yesterday after not being there for a few weeks and felt super comfortable on transition and was ripping slappies better than ever. I feel like just drilling ollies has made me more comfortable and confident on my board in general.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFtCjHtpegm/?igshid=162mhtpmcwseq