Author Topic: Rep/ Gnar Accountability  (Read 1275 times)

Frank and Fred

Rep/ Gnar Accountability
« on: September 05, 2020, 08:25:22 PM »

I'm sure this has been brought up before but why can we not see who "Thumbs up" or "Thumbs down" a comment that impacts a person's rep?

I've been close to PAL status a couple of times but have focused my account before I get there, so maybe I am not privy to the inner workings of the gnar.

Anyway, generally I speaking I don't mind a down vote in a Truck debate or after a sarcastic comment about Fred Gall but when it comes to more serious issues like bigotry, racism, homophobia and transphobia it would be nice to know which pals have a problem with a comment. Just a thought...

Junglist

Re: Rep/ Gnar Accountability
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 10:12:17 PM »

I like this idea too.

On another note, I've noticed lots of banning happening in the last few weeks, aren't there always supposed to be those users everyone hates but tolerates their insanity? Mouth or Tracer would have been banned by today's standards but they've provided some of the funniest posts over the years.

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 03:39:25 AM »

I've had that thought before too. I'm on other platforms where you can see who positive or negative reps who for what (and gnars/kooks aren't revokable too, but that sucks), it definitely makes people think a bit more because they know their name will be publicly associated with the reaction, so they can only be adults and not cowards. The downside is it also generates endless amounts of ad hominem arguments revolving around magic Internet points in the more controversial threads, and in a way adds a layer of micromanagement to the discussions, so a lot of unhealthy drama that doesn't make for smooth reading. It does teach folks to behave on the boards a bit better than most do on here, but it also makes everything more personal for no reason but one that's trivial for those who don't care about rep - just my experience.

admin

• Administrator
  • Rep: 889
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:28:53 AM »

The current gnar/kook system doesn't have a log, but the rating system I am testing here does. So that would be the option that works as a solution.

As for the Bans, while we don't mind a little insanity, we are banning those who cross the line when it comes to a lot of the current social issues we are currently dealing with. Got a hot take on Fred Gall, go ahead...Think Doug Brown is the best skater known to man, feel free to say it...Think mayonnaise is better thank ketchup for fries, join the club... but tell someone to kill themselves in a self help thread, get lost.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 11:05:28 PM »

The current gnar/kook system doesn't have a log, but the rating system I am testing here does. So that would be the option that works as a solution.

As for the Bans, while we don't mind a little insanity, we are banning those who cross the line when it comes to a lot of the current social issues we are currently dealing with. Got a hot take on Fred Gall, go ahead...Think Doug Brown is the best skater known to man, feel free to say it...Think mayonnaise is better thank ketchup for fries, join the club... but tell someone to kill themselves in a self help thread, get lost.

What is the rating system? Would you be able to tell somehow who's giving gnars and kooks based on it? Either way, I'm all for having more transparency with this stuff.

In terms of offenses worthy of banning, I got on the watched list I think for a post I made about white supremacy. I was mocking that stuff, which I tried to indicate by saying "amirite" at the end. But if I didn't make it clear enough that I was joking, that's on me and I apologize. I just wanted to clarify that I am completely opposed to all the redpill/Trump/white supremacy stuff going on in this country.

admin

• Administrator
  • Rep: 889
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 10:43:56 AM »

Pm'ed you about your Watchlist status

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2021, 12:48:42 PM »

It would be nice if the rep system were banished or made transparent. It's annoying when every time you log in someone has been kooking you every day when you've been posting mostly banal stuff. There are some serious bitter assholes on these boards who need to get a life. Rep is a meaningless number but people intentionally use it to be passive aggressive towards others.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2021, 08:25:40 PM »

Maybe it could be a thing like how in the NFL, coaches only get two challenge flags per game: You’d just get, say, one per month or something to use as you see fit.

I originally just meant that as a joke but the more I thought about it, I actually think it’s not that dumb of an idea.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 04:52:42 AM »

Lads, just try not to worry about it. It really doesn't matter at all.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2021, 02:09:00 PM »

...Says the popular PAL!  ;)
Seriously though, @SneakySecrets, check out your rep.

!!!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 06:01:56 PM »

Expand Quote
[close]

!!!

Yeah I could tell I hit 666 when I woke up and saw this looking back at me in my bathroom mirror:
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2021, 03:32:59 AM »

Expand Quote
[close]

!!!
Oh, who, moi? Oh, yeah, I guess... Like, y'know, whatever.

At one stage I had double digits negative rep. Follow your dreams, young posters and you too can reach the status of Grind King Rims.