Author Topic: Why is street skating better than park skating?  (Read 2671 times)

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1375
Re: Why is street skating better than park skating?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 07:11:10 AM »
Here are some rambling thoughts. Personally I don't skate the streets that much nowadays, but I still get out there. It feels much more "in the moment" than skating a park, more of an event. It's the same as when I was younger.

But I skate parks more because of convenience, wanting to learn tricks without stressing about minor details, and time. Being older and bad at skating, these things matter more to me. I think a lot of people do the same, and I'm pretty sure that's part of why street skating will always be held in a higher regard. It's more of a craft to skate street. I think that translates onto video.

Thrasher wrote in a park review article that "unique street spots = cool. Wacky park obstacles = lame." Meaning that if you find a weird zig-zaggy curb or something, it's fun to skate, but if it's at a park it's just a waste of space. And that makes sense - it's way more fun to take advantage of what the streets have to offer instead of trying to replicate that magic.

Skateboarding is still rooted in being genuine I believe, and the purity of just finding a nice street spot and skating it as is, is something that should never go away. I think that'll always translate onto video as well. I hope the new kids value the exploration and discovery that street skating offers...I'm sure they do.

Unpopular opinion, though - I don't mind a few clips of skatepark footage in a video part, even if the background is grey and boring. If it's a hard trick and it looks good, it could fit.