Author Topic: I don't know what my problem is w/ skating?  (Read 1172 times)

LucaFalcone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
  • chips or cookies?
I don't know what my problem is w/ skating?
« on: September 07, 2020, 09:10:54 AM »
Been skating my whole life off and on (19 now). I am definitely completely comfortable on the board got nearly all my 180's each way (other then switch and nollie frontsides) Same goes for shuvs and hard shuvs. I am not good at all that's for sure, but my problem is my pop. I am only light and I figured my pop just should be better but I legit can barely get that board off the ground, even if I land something and think it looks dope, try and get a clip, then I just look slouched over and my board barely even moves pops off the ground. I have problems attempting any down ledges or anything like that cause I legit just can't pop up on it. Same goes for my heelflips thats why I can't even really land them cause the board don't even do a full spin cause I barely popped it. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong from a similar experience or am I just tripping and its all on in my head?

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
Re: I don't know what my problem is w/ skating?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »
After seeing the video I understand you have been dealing with food insecurity and physical and mental abuse for most of your life. Stop defending them YOU DID NOT WALK INTO A DOOR

Time to staring drinking 3 pea protein shakes a day and do 2 to 3 leg routines a week. Right now is the best time for you to develop muscle

Olling is about timing try cutting an inch off your tail or don't squat as much. Move your truck back or your foot back. if you can't grab a basket ball rim then you need to work out

Just my opinion but I have always been the worst skater I've known but I have also ollied onto tables, up stairs and I've manuled the West LA court house stage long before you were alive. Just don't ask me to kick flip on to it

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 10:44:35 AM »
Hey mang, skateboard hard poppie.  You’re just another one of us that sucks at it.  Take your seat on the bus with the rest of us talentless plebs.  Not sure where you got the idea you were supposed to be good at it.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

LucaFalcone

• Rep: 0
  • chips or cookies?
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 01:43:33 PM »
After seeing the video I understand you have been dealing with food insecurity and physical and mental abuse for most of your life. Stop defending them YOU DID NOT WALK INTO A DOOR

Thanks for the reply for real, but wtf you mean in the first part hahaha? What video?

biaherl

• Rep: 253
    • Why So Sad avatar image
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 03:02:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply for real, but wtf you mean in the first part hahaha? What video?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZt7J0iaUD0

I set you up for that one. I'm in it for the long hall

ZachV

• Rep: -9
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 04:48:24 PM »
You sound like a guy I saw at Daleo skatepark in corona/Temecula. Who said he was a snowboarder that skated on and off and looked 19. It would be cool if it’s you.
ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 08:56:32 AM »
Just reading this right after the even more recent topic about ollies, are you too bent over? You said you looked slouched over, and if you look at this video that was posted in the aforementioned thread the last point might hit home. https://youtu.be/GrOCMjotAuw

You gotta leave yourself some space to actually jump, the board wont raise you in the air with just pop alone. Think about how you would jump without a skateboard, are you slouched over then too?

In an old thread I recently read someone mentioned kind of sitting back when going to pop to get the posture more upright, I have been working on this now since I feel it will make a big difference on all the tricks as it affects how you align with the board when landing as well.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

ZachV

• Rep: -9
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 03:41:50 PM »
Just reading this right after the even more recent topic about ollies, are you too bent over? You said you looked slouched over, and if you look at this video that was posted in the aforementioned thread the last point might hit home. https://youtu.be/GrOCMjotAuw

You gotta leave yourself some space to actually jump, the board wont raise you in the air with just pop alone. Think about how you would jump without a skateboard, are you slouched over then too?

In an old thread I recently read someone mentioned kind of sitting back when going to pop to get the posture more upright, I have been working on this now since I feel it will make a big difference on all the tricks as it affects how you align with the board when landing as well.

Posture is most defiantly a big deal. When I do a bad ollie it’s one of 3 things most likely
-Bad posture (learning to far forward)
-jumping or dragging foot to early
-using my whole leg to pop instead of my ankle, in my mind I like to imagine all the energy being concentrated in my ankle and that’s how i get my pop

Hopefully OP watches the video and figures out what he needs to fix. I also recommend practicing pop shove it’s to get pop, because with a pop shove it u dont have to consider the nuances of dragging up ur foot. pop shoves would be considered more difficult by many skaters but in a way they are also more simple than an ollie.

ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʕ•̫͡•ʔ•̫͡•ʔ

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 274
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 07:32:49 PM »
Been skating my whole life off and on (19 now). I am definitely completely comfortable on the board got nearly all my 180's each way (other then switch and nollie frontsides) Same goes for shuvs and hard shuvs. I am not good at all that's for sure, but my problem is my pop. I am only light and I figured my pop just should be better but I legit can barely get that board off the ground, even if I land something and think it looks dope, try and get a clip, then I just look slouched over and my board barely even moves pops off the ground. I have problems attempting any down ledges or anything like that cause I legit just can't pop up on it. Same goes for my heelflips thats why I can't even really land them cause the board don't even do a full spin cause I barely popped it. Anyone know what i'm doing wrong from a similar experience or am I just tripping and its all on in my head?

i think you forgot to put "fun" in your skateboarding..

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 01:59:38 AM »
Don't worry, when you get to your 30s you'll forget about being "good", and just be glad you can stay injury free for long enough to actually skate at all.

Work on your posture and foot positioning, or buy a dwindle deck with steep kicks, you can send those to the moon with barely any effort.

Also remember - the board will only ever come up as high as your feet allow it to, jump higher and suck those legs up.