Author Topic: a video by michael nicholas  (Read 4462 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 24
Re: a video by michael nicholas
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »
Expand Quote
a William Strobeck production
[close]
I wouldn't go that far. I think of it filming style wise as a mix between Call Me 917 #2 and BLESSED.

i'm not knocking. I like Strobeck, although i get why some don't.
more-so just saying how much it owes to his work (film, edit, etc). feels very post-Cherry
agree on the 917 comparisons, but that seems more obvious considering a handful of these kids are hooked up by the brand.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 08:24:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a William Strobeck production
[close]
I wouldn't go that far. I think of it filming style wise as a mix between Call Me 917 #2 and BLESSED.
[close]

i'm not knocking. I like Strobeck, although i get why some don't.
more-so just saying how much it owes to his work (film, edit, etc). feels very post-Cherry
agree on the 917 comparisons, but that seems more obvious considering a handful of these kids are hooked up by the brand.
Respect.
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2020, 06:26:56 AM »
these kids good.

Fly_Hoenn

• Rep: 4
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2020, 03:54:55 PM »
what a great watch. felt really fresh and effortless. the filming and edit is so fucking good.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2020, 12:21:37 PM »
Sorry to bump this, but I finally watched this for the first time last night. I'm usually not a fan of crews that try super hard to recreate the Supreme/917/FA/Hockey vibe with their edits, but this perfectly nailed all the best aspects of that kind of filming and editing for me. I've never heard of any of them until now but my prediction is that these kids get even better and blow up in the next 2-3 years. The first and the last guys seem so young still!

Also, Seven Strong's part was one of the best I've seen in recent times. That front blunt casually thrown in the middle of his part at 12:20 is absolutely insane. I made my partner rewatch that one with me a couple of times.

disintegration

• Rep: -114
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2020, 06:28:23 AM »
yea this was hard.

thebacker

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2020, 08:03:11 AM »
seven strong is my new favorite skater

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2020, 12:03:42 AM »
wow, i needed this video.

this crew is incredible.

future

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2020, 07:30:33 AM »
"That’s another reason why I don’t want to work in skating. You’ve got to answer to a bunch of older dudes who think they know it all because they’ve been pro since the ‘90s. Skating belongs to the kids. They don’t work for you, you work for them. You’re lucky to have had an audience this long, so appreciate that these kids even buy your shit, don’t abuse them. That’s my message to all the older company owners."

https://quartersnacks.com/2020/11/skating-belongs-to-the-kids-an-interview-with-michael-nicholas/#more-51474
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2020, 08:23:17 AM »
"That’s another reason why I don’t want to work in skating. You’ve got to answer to a bunch of older dudes who think they know it all because they’ve been pro since the ‘90s. Skating belongs to the kids. They don’t work for you, you work for them. You’re lucky to have had an audience this long, so appreciate that these kids even buy your shit, don’t abuse them. That’s my message to all the older company owners."

https://quartersnacks.com/2020/11/skating-belongs-to-the-kids-an-interview-with-michael-nicholas/#more-51474
as a fellow young person...
couldnt have said it better myself

there's a big difference between respecting your elders and being forced to process skating through a 40 year olds eyes

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2020, 08:40:27 AM »

I got a chance to meet Michael recently and he’s a really good kid with a good head on his shoulders. That quote is as spot on as it gets.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2020, 04:05:24 AM »

This quote is good, but I thought his response to the question about influence was bad.

"I guess that if you really care about what other people think, then it can be a real fine line. As I said, nobody influences me in skateboarding. Even if [those filmers] didn’t exist, I would film and edit exactly the way I do now. That’s just how I do it regardless of other people. From a surface level point of view you might think otherwise."

Where do you think he got the idea to have a live band play over the top of the skating or use a Nick Sadler track? It's fine to admit someone else has influenced you. To say he'd film and edit exactly like that anyway seems a bit disingenuous.

uesty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 94
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2023, 08:53:14 AM »

new edit from michael nicholas!