Author Topic: Ace equivalent of Indy 129s?  (Read 656 times)

WinterWarlock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Ace equivalent of Indy 129s?
« on: September 09, 2020, 04:18:17 PM »
Indy 129 user here, looking to try some Aces. Would I be better off with the Ace 22s, 33s, or the 03 lows? Thanks for the input!

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Ace equivalent of Indy 129s?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 04:57:17 PM »
22s are the equivalent. Both 7.6. Not sure if you’d be better off though?

I just got a pair actually, but not sure how I’m liking them so far.

Going to try some ventures I have coming, or just go back to 129s.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 05:19:44 PM »
Why is ace & independent always the comparison?

Is ace a good truck? Been riding indys since i can remember, no other reason than thats what you ride if you’re not a ledge dancer.

I’ll switch if i get a good reason. Talk to me, pals.

jimgrude

• Rep: 67
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 06:29:53 PM »

Is ace a good truck? Been riding indys since i can remember, no other reason than thats what you ride if you’re not a ledge dancer.

A good reason, you say? What if I told you that Ace is more Indy than Indy itself? It's literally a re-envisioned path for the Indy geometry, based on the stage 3, developed by old Indy-dudes. Sure, Stage 11 is the best Indy since the turn of the millennium, but as someone who started off on stage 8, Ace just feels right in terms of turning.

Fat Tire

• Rep: -18
  • "Do A Kickflip!" Hahaha...
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 06:37:52 PM »

If indys work for you why change?

Maybe try out a board if you know someone who rides them.

Indys work fine.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 06:59:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

A good reason, you say? What if I told you that Ace is more Indy than Indy itself? It's literally a re-envisioned path for the Indy geometry, based on the stage 3, developed by old Indy-dudes. Sure, Stage 11 is the best Indy since the turn of the millennium, but as someone who started off on stage 8, Ace just feels right in terms of turning.
Man, can’t wait to find out what would happen if you told me that stuff.

Thanks, just wondered why it was the go to comparison.
Makes sense why a bunch of dudes jumped ship from indy. Might give them a go.
Throw together another set up and barely ride it like my other two.

Getting old sucks.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 07:00:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is accurate. Indy fucked up with Stage 9. Stage 11s are good but they still don't quite turn like old Indys. Ace turn keeps going, deeper and sharper. I recently tried some Indy Stage 3 and they felt really close to my Aces.Even though Ace are lower than standard Indys I get less wheel bite as the turn seems to hook under a bit more. I don't know if I'm describing it well. It is a pretty magic feeling on round wall transition. Also, this might be a personal thing here but Ace seem more stable at speed than Indy for whatever reason. They also come with some cool features like very good stock bushings, tapered hangers than don't rub against your bearings with no washers required and more grind material in the center of the hanger.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 07:08:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This is accurate. Indy fucked up with Stage 9. Stage 11s are good but they still don't quite turn like old Indys. Ace turn keeps going, deeper and sharper. I recently tried some Indy Stage 3 and they felt really close to my Aces.Even though Ace are lower than standard Indys I get less wheel bite as the turn seems to hook under a bit more. I don't know if I'm describing it well. It is a pretty magic feeling on round wall transition. Also, this might be a personal thing here but Ace seem more stable at speed than Indy for whatever reason. They also come with some cool features like very good stock bushings, tapered hangers than don't rub against your bearings with no washers required and more grind material in the center of the hanger.
this only applies for the "stage 1" aces
the new ones have a straight hanger that are non-tapered

WinterWarlock

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 07:10:20 PM »

Thanks! I've been happy with Independent for years, but I like to switch things up occasionally. I tried a pair of Thunders recently and felt like I was not getting a smooth grind at my curb spots or on real ledges. They were fine on rails and skatepark ledges, however. It seems like the hanger shape is too sharp/pointy and causes more resistance when you grind, at least when compared to the shape of an Indy hanger which is significantly more round. I also gave a Krux a shot after not having a pair since 1998(!) and found the turning to be unacceptable, even when swapping out different bushings. The way the hanger fits into the pivot cup seems to prohibit a smooth turn, if that makes sense. It does not fit in there like a glove, whereas the Indies, etc. don't suffer from that problem. Pretty weird that NHS makes trucks as solid as Indy and yet they also produce a vastly inferior truck brand like Krux.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 07:12:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Incorrect. They are tapered less but still have a hanger that has a little conical shape on the end. It looks less dramatic now but its still there.

WinterWarlock

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 07:20:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That's a pretty damn compelling reply. I'm definitely a fan of re-envisioned paths. As soon as the 22s are in stock somewhere, I'll be giving them a shot.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 07:23:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Incorrect. They are tapered less but still have a hanger that has a little conical shape on the end. It looks less dramatic now but its still there.
well, anyway, wasn't the reason for the curved hanger to help lock into grinds? for instance, to slip towards heelside for 50-50s on coping. it's pretty much flat now. they used to include just one washer per wheel, now it's two. it's safe to say they've done away with these features

Frank and Fred

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:24 PM »
I think we might be talking about two different things. I'm also talking about the hanger face. Ace have little oval shaped faces to the hanger so it only touches the bearing race not the shield...

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2020, 08:28:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks! I've been happy with Independent for years, but I like to switch things up occasionally. I tried a pair of Thunders recently and felt like I was not getting a smooth grind at my curb spots or on real ledges. They were fine on rails and skatepark ledges, however. It seems like the hanger shape is too sharp/pointy and causes more resistance when you grind, at least when compared to the shape of an Indy hanger which is significantly more round. I also gave a Krux a shot after not having a pair since 1998(!) and found the turning to be unacceptable, even when swapping out different bushings. The way the hanger fits into the pivot cup seems to prohibit a smooth turn, if that makes sense. It does not fit in there like a glove, whereas the Indies, etc. don't suffer from that problem. Pretty weird that NHS makes trucks as solid as Indy and yet they also produce a vastly inferior truck brand like Krux.

Krux is a corporate branding scam most companies with a 30%+ monopoly over a sector pull off to perfection. Make a great product and also make a slightly inferior product. Market the inferior product well, people will try it for value, change, and curiosity. With something like skateboarding you get indys, try krux, Buy new Indys. You’ve purchased 3 sets of trucks now, and the first pair are still fine.
I still get amazed whenever I see someone land a trick on those things.

WinterWarlock

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 10:25:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Krux is a corporate branding scam most companies with a 30%+ monopoly over a sector pull off to perfection. Make a great product and also make a slightly inferior product. Market the inferior product well, people will try it for value, change, and curiosity. With something like skateboarding you get indys, try krux, Buy new Indys. You’ve purchased 3 sets of trucks now, and the first pair are still fine.
I still get amazed whenever I see someone land a trick on those things.

Fooled me once, can't be fooled again!