Author Topic: I want to ollie higher. Can you help an old guy out?  (Read 2468 times)

Bold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 18
I want to ollie higher. Can you help an old guy out?
« on: September 09, 2020, 05:56:07 PM »
I'm old. Used to skate YEARS ago. My kid got me back into skating about a year ago. I'm LOVING it and having a blast. I'm trying to relearn some 25 year old skills and ollies are really challenging me. I'm about 50 % getting over my target stick which is a 1-1/2" strip off of a 2x4 and that has taken lots of work. I'm pretty lost as to where I'm failing. Even though I have the great advantage pf technology and slo mo I find that I don't know what I'm looking for.

If you've got some pointers I'd love to hear them. Thank you

https://youtu.be/EZCfMioe1xE
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 11:09:34 AM by Bold »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: I want to ollie higher. Can you help an old guy out?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 07:46:44 PM »
How is your fakie ollie?

Ray C. Usery

• Rep: 164
  • My brother Roy is into music
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 09:31:44 PM »
Turn yourself twelve and ollie 500 times in an hour. Then get obsessed about ollies and only think, speak and dream about ollies.

You're fine just keep doing them

tic tac around that whole slab and then ollie. Get comfortable on your board. Find a quite smooth street and push for miles.

People like us have to work for it. I don't have the talent but I have the love

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 09:57:14 PM »
Another three microns and you’da soared right over that broomstick.  Get ready for the rush of a lifetime once you land it.

For what it’s worth, here’s some things I saw:

-focus on getting a quick, solid pop

-suck your knees up towards your chest

-perhaps move your front foot back a scootch (or at least experiment with your front foot placement)

And what Ray said: if you’re another talentless scmuck like us, you’re probably going to have to put in ludicrous amounts of time to refine your technique.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 10:28:07 PM »
Another three microns and you’da soared right over that broomstick.  Get ready for the rush of a lifetime once you land it.

-perhaps move your front foot back a scootch (or at least experiment with your front foot placement)

And what Ray said: if you’re another talentless scmuck like us, you’re probably going to have to put in ludicrous amounts of time to refine your technique.

Speak for yourself! I once got a t-shirt from my local shop, making me a sponsored skater!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrOCMjotAuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZhMXWkPsWw&ab_channel=JustKeepSkating

These 2 videos are really helpful in point out some common. You look like you have a decent amount of pop, but the timing when the tail taps the ground, when you jump and when you drag needs some refinement. Like Ray said its going to take 100s of repetitions to get right. You look like you're going at it with enough speed, which tells me you're going at it with confidence which is a huge part of getting better.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 11:08:24 PM »
It’s just practice, bro
One thing though, just regarding getting old tricks back, you gotta kick like, way harder than I remember
Stomp fuck out of that back foot mate
listen to cosmic psychos

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1239
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 07:32:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Speak for yourself! I once got a t-shirt from my local shop, making me a sponsored skater!

A million apologies for my thoughtless statement.

Although I once got a couple of speed rings for free but I’m trying not to get a big head about it.  Once you reach these upper echelons of the skate industry your horn just kinda toots itself, y’know?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

burn_to_live

• Rep: -26
  • You had to be there.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 08:17:29 AM »

Although I once got a couple of speed rings for free but I’m trying not to get a big head about it.  Once you reach these upper echelons of the skate industry your horn just kinda toots itself, y’know?
Gonna go down to the Bronx and hang out with the gonx

Bold

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 08:58:48 AM »
Expand Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrOCMjotAuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZhMXWkPsWw&ab_channel=JustKeepSkating

These 2 videos are really helpful in point out some common. You look like you have a decent amount of pop, but the timing when the tail taps the ground, when you jump and when you drag needs some refinement. Like Ray said its going to take 100s of repetitions to get right. You look like you're going at it with enough speed, which tells me you're going at it with confidence which is a huge part of getting better.
[close]

Thanks. I love DeGros but had not seen those videos.

Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks.

Funny thing is, before I started filming I cleared that broomstick about 8 times in a row. I might have used up all the pop in my legs for that session.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2020, 12:23:28 PM »
Your front foot slide really needs to go all the way up the nose and you need to kick it forward to level the board out. You could easily clear that 2x4 if you can just level the board out.

It also looks like you use your whole foot to pop when it's really more of an ankle snap. I recommend being more on your toes at the tip of the tail. Worth a try.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 10:40:27 PM »
You don't lift up your backfoot at all. Your board obviously won't go any higher than you lift your legs. Once you suck up that back leg, extend your front foot up towards the nose to help your board follow.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2020, 11:07:29 PM »
You don't lift up your backfoot at all. Your board obviously won't go any higher than you lift your legs. Once you suck up that back leg, extend your front foot up towards the nose to help your board follow.

Any tips on lifting the back leg? I have years of bad muscle memory so I have lazy back leg syndrome. I can pop decently high but my ollies and flips rocket.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 09:32:45 AM »
Fakie ollie more. Warm up with those things and try to level it out methodically. Then try going forward again. Post your results.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2020, 05:36:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Any tips on lifting the back leg? I have years of bad muscle memory so I have lazy back leg syndrome. I can pop decently high but my ollies and flips rocket.

Practice off your board. I feel like a lot of people are trying to learn ollie when they can't really jump in general. Jump up on ledges and boxes, really sucking your knees up to your chest. I've always been jumping around and over stuff ever since I was a kid, and the result is 3 ft. ollies.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2020, 06:02:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Practice off your board. I feel like a lot of people are trying to learn ollie when they can't really jump in general. Jump up on ledges and boxes, really sucking your knees up to your chest. I've always been jumping around and over stuff ever since I was a kid, and the result is 3 ft. ollies.
That is great advice! I make sure to do this a few times a day. It's really fun and gets funny looks too, especially at work.
https://i.imgur.com/XkDVPAs.gifv
I know this isn't high, but I'm old and this is fakie  ;)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 06:16:03 PM by Seventyfrigginseven »

Bold

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 11:19:57 AM »
Your front foot slide really needs to go all the way up the nose and you need to kick it forward to level the board out. You could easily clear that 2x4 if you can just level the board out.

It also looks like you use your whole foot to pop when it's really more of an ankle snap. I recommend being more on your toes at the tip of the tail. Worth a try.

Thanks. Great points. I had noticed that the board sort of just pops up in the front.

Thanks.

Fakie ollie more. Warm up with those things and try to level it out methodically. Then try going forward again. Post your results.
I've never actually tried a fakie ollie. This might be just the ticket since it's something new to me maybe I won't approach it mentally assuming I know what I'm doing.

Thanks everyone.

Front foot needs to go more forward. Back foot needs to pop from the ankle and come up higher.

Fledgeling_Phoenix

• Rep: 1
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2020, 06:26:53 PM »
I can’t offer much more than what others have suggested already. But I do want to point out that your third ollie looked really good. You just need to thrust your front foot forward to level out more after you slide up - and yes suck your back foot up with the board. You look pretty relaxed and squared and balanced over your board too. I think it will get better quick with more sessions and a few minor tweaks.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 05:30:39 PM »
An ollie on flatground is how high you can jump off your back foot, full stop.

Obviously, there are serious issues with timing involved to make your board tag along for the ride and the more you practice the more ingrained that becomes but there isn’t any more alchemy involved than that.

You didn’t get high because you didn’t jump high. It probably feels uncomfortable to hit the ground with the necessary force or maybe you get discombobulated when you jump higher, or maybe your front foot is too far forward and counteracting the effort of your back foot but ultimately you can get as high as your back foot can jump.

Try standing in front of a bench or something and jump on it but all your effort must come from your back leg and your back foot needs to land first on the  bench.

Damoforce

• Rep: 24
    • YouTube Channel avatar image
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 04:24:28 PM »

I haven't been skating long, but why would a fakie ollie help with a regular one, or is it just a change up thing? I notice Some days I can fakie ollie better than regular lol.
Just an older guy trying to learn to Skateboard over 30 with developing gear madness syndrome

Join me on YouTube for skateboarding, reviews and ect

Bold

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »
Finally got some time to try out your suggestions.
Pull that back foot up ( see 0:18), slide that front foot fwd.
I like the Degros video suggestion about not hinging at the waist. I can see by these clips that I'm still doing that wrong but...

The first ollie over the stick starting at 0:40 was my best I've ever gotten on film. I swear I could have gotten up a curb with that. ( we won't talk about all the clips I deleted :-|  )

Anyways, All your suggestions gave me just the right things to think about and it really helped. Several ollies before I started filming felt really good after I got the body loosened up. Might have been able to stay at it longer but my Wednesday workout class left my legs a little sore today and this was all I had in me.

I see progress. I feel progress.
Thank you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyKYZ_WiX2k

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 07:18:07 PM »
front foot back more, and that board looks too short for your legs.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2020, 11:30:41 PM »
If you pause it exactly at :44, that's about right were you wanna be except your front foot kinda dies off, if you can ninja kick that out a little more to level the board you would be good. I think the back foot will raise up naturally.

Getting onto and over actual stuff is the key to learning it quicker. Push yourself, keep stacking that wood up. Use your front foot and the nose of the board to pull those back wheels over the object.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2020, 07:04:58 AM »
I like the Degros video suggestion about not hinging at the waist. I can see by these clips that I'm still doing that wrong but...

The first ollie over the stick starting at 0:40 was my best I've ever gotten on film. I swear I could have gotten up a curb with that. ( we won't talk about all the clips I deleted :-|  )

Anyways, All your suggestions gave me just the right things to think about and it really helped. Several ollies before I started filming felt really good after I got the body loosened up. Might have been able to stay at it longer but my Wednesday workout class left my legs a little sore today and this was all I had in me.

Thank you all.

Looks good but you gotta concentrate more on smacking the shit out of your tail against the ground. The harder and more explosive you smack the tail against the ground, the higher and better the back end of your board will follow your back foot when you jump and suck your legs up. The front foot is just there to guide and level the board.

Unlike people often tell its not the drag of the front foot that makes your ollie high. Its the board bouncing off the tail. So make it bounce.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2020, 07:41:03 PM »

Thank you all.

Keep us posted on the progress, my friend just got back to skating after 10 years and a bad ankle injury so he's focusing on skating switch (goofy). He managed to get a decent switch ollie, getting it level with a slight bone out. It's really in the timing and snapping a quick pop with your back foot.

I have this horrible habit of crouching down really low for my ollies, so while I pop really hard my dragging foot cannot keep up or level out sufficiently. I'm working to correct that by learning to pop lighter while bringing my front foot further up the board in preparation of my ollie.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2020, 09:47:16 PM »
It sounds dumb but try holding onto something stationary.....you can use your arms a bit to buy you a little more time in the air and keep your balance....

The idea is to get the motion down of your back foot getting some height to be parallel or even higher than your front foot.  The way you're doing it now you're just trying to keep your shit together which is natural. It's sort of a rocking horse motion with your front foot coming up, than your back foot tries to go even higher...

It's looking good though!

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2020, 10:13:35 PM »
go watch a keith huf part and then smoke a blunt

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2020, 01:11:56 AM »

No can do, watching the Huf Memory Screen made me both hyped to skate and empty inside.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2020, 01:23:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

No can do, watching the Huf Memory Screen made me both hyped to skate and empty inside.
feeling empty inside ----> skating ----> feeling full inside :D

Put some extra pop on it for my man

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2020, 01:36:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
feeling empty inside ----> skating ----> feeling full inside :D

Put some extra pop on it for my man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Efj6JkXO8&ab_channel=HorkHunter
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m