Author Topic: Deck Preferences (Brand/Size for street)  (Read 2110 times)

NamiSoGroovy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -2
Deck Preferences (Brand/Size for street)
« on: September 10, 2020, 12:45:48 AM »
I been skating Girl Skateboards since I can remember. Well honestly, I ONLY skated Girl the entire time I've been skating. I currently have a Real board and Im just not feeling it. Im thinking about switching back to Girl but theres a voice in my head screaming I should just get a BAKER. My concern is to my understanding the quality of wood in Girl boards has been crappy and apparently they chip easy? Lol Its a plank of wood I would imagine every brand does eventually but people are swearing up and down that Girl boards just dont hold up. Do any of you have any experience with both brands? If so which was your favorite, also what size do you recommend for technical street skating? I've always used 8.0 flat but some people are recommending an 8.125 for smoother landing and grinds, wondering if it also makes a big difference with treflips or any other scooping trick. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Deck Preferences (Brand/Size for street)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 10:34:48 AM »
My last time on a girl board was just fine, cripsy with decent flex (this is the new wood with the laser engraving on the top); it was an 8.375.

Bakers are fine, BBS wood (which everyone uses).

8 or 8.125 with 8" trucks.

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 11:57:22 AM »
Girls/chocolate is my last option for a board... im sure their wood now is alot better from what it was in the past but it left such a bad taste in my mouth and their shape is not my preference. Real boards shapes arent my preference either but the wood is much better

None of that probably matters to you though. Enjoy not caring about your setup while you can and try different brands, get that baker. Also moving from a 8 to a 8.1 isnt going to make a noticeable difference, just go to a 8.25. I skate 8.1 and the only advantage of it over a 8.25 or a 8 is that it flushes with 8.25 trucks perfectly with no washers (ace 44, indys 144)

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 02:11:27 AM »
If you want something flatter like girl boards typically are then you're probably going to have a hard time finding one from BBS (the woodshop real/baker use). Even the baker "OG mellow" are more of a medium to me. If you just want better wood and don't mind it being steep then BBS is pretty much the "gold standard" in the industry right now.

If you're looking for something flat/mellow a few things to check out:

- PGI (blood wizard, Maxallure, skate mental, natural koncept etc) decks tend to be very flat and the wood is decent.

- PS stix has some good flat molds - toy machine and quasi are probably the two most popular mellow PS brands. Some people don't like PS because they aren't super stiff (more of a flex/springy pop) and they tend to razor tail faster than other brands.

- South Central E mold - hard to find, but really good. Politic sometimes uses it (pawns of Babylon was the last deck I know of) and DOA uses it for their "flat as fuck" boards which usually sell out fast.

- Dwindle does a mellow concave and mellow kick but I haven't seen one lately. Be careful because they offer multiple grades of wood, RHM and hybrid decks are cheaper but use a different species of maple that isn't as hard.

Probably missing some, but just go check out the woodshop directory thread for more in depth discussion about who uses what and people's opinions about it.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 05:44:46 AM »
i recently switched to an 8.25" G027 deck after skating 7.5s in my youth and 7.75s once i started again this year.

Personally I would say stick with girl and give the G027 8.25" a go. 14" wheelbase so it doesn't feel wide or door like to skate, easy enough to move it around.

I've got it on Thunder light 148s and 50mm and it feels like an agile setup, I was landing all my tricks first time I switched up from a 7.75"... if anything flip tricks are easier to catch and the board spins in a slightly slower and more controlled way.

I skate 80% flatground with about 20% banks and ledges when I get to a park, and it's a great setup for this... if I was a little more flush then maybe I would have gone with hollow lights, but it's a nimble enough setup as it is really, 2.3kg odd.

As for quality, this is my first ever Girl deck, and i'm perfectly happy with the construction and how it feels... I've been skating Generator decks for the last few, and the Girl doesn't feel like a step down.

TLDR try the G027 8.25" Girl decks.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 11:06:37 PM »
dont really care what board brand I ride, generally I just pay attention to the shape (nose/tail length, WB, deck length) and if its BBS then I pretty much know it wont snap or chip or feel soggy for me atleast

but anyway right now im riding a killing floor 8.25 for street and its nice

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 04:27:01 AM »
8" for manuals and tech wizardry
8.25" street
8.5" for bug dog vert or bowls
Board brands don't bug me so much they aren't Baker or Deathwish pointy nose and tail.
Dueces Bitch's

Daniel

• Rep: 6
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 12:39:33 PM »
Baker 8-8.25 and polar 8s with thunders work

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 09:17:58 AM »
If you want something flatter like girl boards typically are then you're probably going to have a hard time finding one from BBS (the woodshop real/baker use). Even the baker "OG mellow" are more of a medium to me. If you just want better wood and don't mind it being steep then BBS is pretty much the "gold standard" in the industry right now.

If you're looking for something flat/mellow a few things to check out:

- PGI (blood wizard, Maxallure, skate mental, natural koncept etc) decks tend to be very flat and the wood is decent.

- PS stix has some good flat molds - toy machine and quasi are probably the two most popular mellow PS brands. Some people don't like PS because they aren't super stiff (more of a flex/springy pop) and they tend to razor tail faster than other brands.

- South Central E mold - hard to find, but really good. Politic sometimes uses it (pawns of Babylon was the last deck I know of) and DOA uses it for their "flat as fuck" boards which usually sell out fast.

- Dwindle does a mellow concave and mellow kick but I haven't seen one lately. Be careful because they offer multiple grades of wood, RHM and hybrid decks are cheaper but use a different species of maple that isn't as hard.

Probably missing some, but just go check out the woodshop directory thread for more in depth discussion about who uses what and people's opinions about it.

Second that , the South Central E Mold is the business.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 10:47:39 AM »
8.5 w/Thunder 149s (Polar P2 right now, love it) when I want to skate curbs, curbs, and only curbs.
8.38 w/Thunder 148s Ti for anything else. Which is flatground and...curbs.
I bring both with me and skate whatever I feel like using. Nice to have that freedom. When this 8.38 is over I will get another squarish shaped 8.25 (Baker B2 or AWS most likely) just to switch shit up. Maybe even an 8 if I can find an 8 x 32+.

weedgod94

• Rep: 0
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 12:21:34 PM »
I like Baker the best, I fuck with the brand and have had good luck with all their boards. Next setup I'm planning on getting their new 8.125 shape with indy mids, although I wanna try a DLX 8.18 on the same trucks.

Currently riding an 8.5 Heroin which is the same distro at least.

Stigmata

• Rep: 8
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 01:04:25 PM »
I love the Baker OG shapes, theyre now possibly my favorite decks. I also currently own a Zero board and im liking that too, a bit more concave.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »
I can‘t do a pointy nose or tail, which fucks up nollie heels And 360 flips for me. I also cannot deal with a that delayed Pop some decks have, when there is a flat part from the trucks to the nose or tail. I had an antiz Deck with that type of tail and that was the first deck ever that I gave away while it was still completely intact. I love a flat concave with a longer wheel base In 8.25 x 32.

Recent decks I have liked were real and doom sayers (Both bbs I assume) and a small German company called Salut. Salut uses a Canadian woodshop called prime (?) I think.