Author Topic: Do you have different decks for different surfaces?  (Read 767 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Do you have different decks for different surfaces?
« on: September 29, 2020, 07:04:23 PM »
I have a crusty wide board with big wheels for diy spots.

A tech board with 50mm wheels for smooth plazas.

Pretty sure I’m not the only one. Let’s here about your tics...
Dueces Bitch's

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: Do you have different decks for different surfaces?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 04:52:01 AM »
No, but the closest thing to that that I do have is I'll refrain from skating super rough spots for a while whenever I just set up a fresh deck, because when I was a kid living in an old city, I used to have to make my decks last for as long as I could, and I retained the habit of avoiding messing up a good, crispy one too quickly over time. As soon as the board starts feeling worn in though, then everything is game.

Side note but state of the deck also influences my trick selection, on a brand new board I'll stick to minimalistic tricks and barely flip it for a while, and maybe skate ledges more, once it's been eating the ground or obstacles a few times and starts feeling used I'll do more of everything, then once the pop is pretty much gone and basic tricks no longer work as well then for a while I'll just abuse the board with tricks I wouldn't do otherwise, stuff that relies on scraping the tail vs. popping, etc.

Super early on I 'studied' what would be the ideal set-up for skating in my hometown in particular, which is almost exclusively rough terrain so my skateboard was always a happy medium, thus eliminating my need for different boards (I'm the type who can only have one at a time). E.g.. compensating for the shittier grounds with bigger wheel size (54/56mm) instead of low durometers (as to not lose control over some tricks that work best with hard wheels, and generally feel like I'm on a longboard). I'd rather have one board that's good for everything than several set-ups that are great for specific terrain, to me that always sounded cumbersome.

Dick Diablo

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »
I have 2 concrete park boards, a ramp board, a street board, and a rough street cruising board.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 07:06:33 PM »
I'll refrain from skating super rough spots for a while whenever I just set up a fresh deck, because when I was a kid living in an old city, I used to have to make my decks last for as long as I could, and I retained the habit of avoiding messing up a good, crispy one too quickly over time. As soon as the board starts feeling worn in though, then everything is game.

Side note but state of the deck also influences my trick selection, on a brand new board I'll stick to minimalistic tricks and barely flip it for a while, and maybe skate ledges more, once it's been eating the ground or obstacles a few times and starts feeling used I'll do more of everything, then once the pop is pretty much gone and basic tricks no longer work as well then for a while I'll just abuse the board with tricks I wouldn't do otherwise, stuff that relies on scraping the tail vs. popping, etc.

I do this when I'm low on my quiver of decks as I'm like that dude John Fitzgerald I can crush a shitload of decks poor foot placement and etc....
Dueces Bitch's

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 08:31:38 AM »
When I am happy with a size and shape I will try to get a few or more of them so I can set up pretty much the same board multiple times over with different wheels, so they work for different places, eg right now something about 8.38 to 8.5 BBS wood / Deluxe deck, Indy 149s, Bones swiss bearings and:

56mm 99 duro for bigger raw concrete bowls
54mm 99 duro for smaller raw concrete park skating
50mm 99 duro for street curb or tech fun skating
56mm 95 duro for spray painted or new slippery smooth concrete
56mm 92 duro for super slippery park or ramp surfaces

Besides that I also have a big 9+ and a smaller cruiser or two with soft 80 to 90 duro wheels, but most of my normal wheels started at 56mm Spitfire classic full shape and have worn down, so it is just using the wheels through different stages of life for the different setups I have.

It works really well for the places I know and go to regularly, but I always have a couple of different setups for any unexpected sessions too.
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

jimgrude

• Rep: 66
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 11:30:00 PM »
Whenever I feel like retiring a deck early, I put it on my Tokyo crust setup. It often ends up being whenever I try a wider deck or new shape, which usually throws me off too much. I also have 56mm F4 99a conical fulls on it, while I usually ride harder 52-54mm Bones or Loopholes on my main setup.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 06:59:39 PM »
I have two setups:
8.5 with 149s, 99a wheels I use for parking lot/curbs
8.25 with 148s and 99a wheels for anything smooth and/or if I want to flip the board or I’m at a park

I have two sets of SML coffee cruiser wheels and a set of Keyframes in 87a for rough stuff