Author Topic: Wild Fires  (Read 1449 times)

Frank and Fred

Wild Fires
« on: September 11, 2020, 09:43:26 AM »
How's everyone holding up?

I had eight days of skateboarding in a row end on Weds as yesterday the air quality in Portland was so fucked it just didn't seem like a good idea...

Half a million Oregonians evacuated? What's next? The Big one?

friendly dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Wild Fires
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2020, 01:24:46 PM »
Shit sucks. Going outside sucks. A bunch of my friends have had to evacuate.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Frank and Fred

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2020, 01:55:30 PM »
Yeah, we are offering up our basement to my wife's coworkers.

Weather conditions seem to be slowly improving though. Better winds, cooler temps...

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • grinding to a halt
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2020, 02:56:03 PM »
Yeah, looks like we might get some rain on Tuesday. That would really help.

FTW

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2020, 04:05:49 PM »
im in phx and our sky is all fogged out from this shit . can’t imagine what you coasters are goin through
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 04:56:51 PM »
Good luck, fellows.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 05:59:42 PM »
I'm in southern Ca.  The past 3 or 4 days it looked like dusk all day long.  I hope all of you are in safe situations.  Nature can be devastating.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2020, 09:24:55 PM »
Good luck, fellows.

Yeah, take care. I saw the Insta posts of SF when the sky was a deep orange hue in the morning a few days ago. Must be incredibly stressful along with everything else happening. The US has had such a tumultuous year, and it's not over yet.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 09:36:28 PM »
This year continues to one up itself every week. All we're missing is an earthquake to close the year...Here's San Jose a couple days ago when everything was orange

Even the smoke from the SCU fire bordering San Jose wasn't as bad as this.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2020, 09:56:07 PM »
I was running a leaf blower at a spot yesterday to clear ash and a man in his late 50s on an e-bike called me a dumb fuck.
He wasn’t wrong.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2020, 10:25:09 AM »
I took this on Weds, from the east side of Mt Tabor looking at Mt Hood. Thurs onward has just been a light orange haze dawn until dusk.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 11:38:12 AM by Frank and Fred »

Dont

• Rep: -15
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2020, 10:44:52 AM »
The fire is 2 miles from our house in LA. It’s not burning towards homes as of now but the air is horrible. Inside the house smells like a campfire. The fire started a week ago and it’s still 6% contained. In some places the smoke is so thick that the firefighters can’t drop water from above. The estimate for full containment is mid oct.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2020, 11:27:19 AM »
I was running a leaf blower at a spot yesterday to clear ash and a man in his late 50s on an e-bike called me a dumb fuck.
He wasn’t wrong.

I skated for about 45 minutes this morning in Seattle. The air is pretty bad but I had a mask on. Still probably wasn't the best idea. At least I have an air purifier in my apartment.

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2020, 11:55:58 AM »
Expand Quote
He wasn’t wrong.
[close]

I skated for about 45 minutes this morning in Seattle. The air is pretty bad but I had a mask on. Still probably wasn't the best idea. At least I have an air purifier in my apartment.
damn cant believe you skated in this shit. im north of seattle and am definitely not gonna touch my board til it clears up. did you see anyone else out skating? i kind of want to drive by a skatepark just to see if there's any masochists out there skating

Frank and Fred

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 12:01:20 PM »
I'm tempted to go a for a few quick flat ground tricks as I'm losing my fucking mind....

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2020, 12:08:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He wasn’t wrong.
[close]

[close]
damn cant believe you skated in this shit. im north of seattle and am definitely not gonna touch my board til it clears up. did you see anyone else out skating? i kind of want to drive by a skatepark just to see if there's any masochists out there skating

I didn't see anyone else skating but I was at a street spot. I probably shouldn't have done it but I needed to get out of the house for a bit. I'm unemployed and indoors most of the time other than skating. I did start to feel a little tired and short of breath so I wouldn't recommend it.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2020, 06:12:20 PM »
I'm on the north coast of california and we've got massive, moving fires in every direction but west. All the trimmigrants are down from the hills and in town this week because ganja farms are burning like everything else. I was doing the brakes on my car today and i feel like i huffed a tail pipe. Shits awful.
Hope y'all in evac zones are hanging in.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

jack burton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2020, 12:31:19 AM »
Live in Seattle and worked outside the past few days. Feels pretty fucked to not get off during this smoke on top of the pandemic. Guess that’s capitalism baby...

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 07:01:03 AM »

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 08:50:40 AM »
hope all you pals in the area and friends and family stay safe!

EDIT: damn, looks like fucking mordor in sf, holy shit.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 09:05:36 AM »
Hellride
https://www.instagram.com/p/CE7VVSjJT_d/?igshid=162rchkgwohdd

hard to get one's head around that being the sky, let alone it at around 11:30 am

Detroit sending love and prayers for all y'all out there on the west coast

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • grinding to a halt
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »
I took this on Weds, from the east side of Mt Tabor looking at Mt Hood. Thurs onward has just been a light orange haze dawn until dusk.

At least on that day the smoke was still high in the sky. Now with it settled visibility is like a couple of blocks.

FTW

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020, 04:56:07 PM »
My chest hurts.

One of my best friends is the fire chief in Detroit, Or. it’s so fucked. I haven’t been blowing him up because he’s obviously mad busy, but we’re all worried about him. I shot him a text basically saying “you good?” at least he gave a 👍.

My family has a cabin up in Berry Creek, near lake oroville, it’s gone. Not that big of a deal, just a small cabin and 40 acres. It’s just scary to think about because there’s no phone and no cell reception there, and you have to 4wd in. If we were up there we’d have no way of knowing. It’s a few miles from Bidwell bridge.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 08:33:03 PM »
We have like the fifth worst air quality in whole world here in Vancouver right now .....it seems kinda unfair considering the fire are so far away.....but honestly...our do gooder smug faces deserved it.....at little bit at least...

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 09:13:05 PM »
We have like the fifth worst air quality in whole world here in Vancouver right now .....it seems kinda unfair considering the fire are so far away.....but honestly...our do gooder smug faces deserved it.....at little bit at least...
I’m in San Jose and my overall mood was affected by all this smoke and ash....sucks I’m looking into a air purifier/ probably sold out everywhere

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2020, 11:00:49 AM »
Stay safe peoples,
I'm in Adelaide, Australia and while we're the other side of the world we're pretty much looking at what we're gonna be seeing come bushfire season in a few months.

"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2020, 07:32:10 PM »
q
Expand Quote
[close]
I’m in San Jose and my overall mood was affected by all this smoke and ash....sucks I’m looking into a air purifier/ probably sold out everywhere

Yeah...if anyone wasn't wearing a mask...they are now....we had the worst in the world today!  Honestly nothing is burning so I t could be worse for us but yeah, pretty suffocating and stressful.  We've had it pretty good with COVID being able the skate alone but this makes it tough....

Frank and Fred

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 10:15:20 AM »
Rained very briefly in PDX this morning... Such a tease. We are sill in 'Hazardous air' mode. Yesterday, we nearly creeped towards 'very unhealthy.'

Hopefully by the end of the week it will be safe to go outside... insanity....

Frank and Fred

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 10:18:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

At least on that day the smoke was still high in the sky. Now with it settled visibility is like a couple of blocks.

Yep, not really a good way to get photos at this point. That cloud at the top just settled down and is sitting on us. I did briefly see the sun and a few cloud formations yesterday but they quickly disappeared.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2020, 09:44:46 PM »
Well, the sun came out today and i've got a hella sore throat from wrenching my ride for a few hours. We get slammed with smoke every year on the north coast of california, but man, this is gross. Aside from the climate induced fires a barn with 187 tons of hay burned for 10 or so days, a slash pile at a lumber yard up the road caught on fire and has burned for close to 48 hours now. And 45 says "I think science doesn't know." fuck this shit.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind