Author Topic: Covid wedding  (Read 1430 times)

tension

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 38
  • Lexapro
Covid wedding
« on: September 12, 2020, 06:22:12 AM »
Anyone else have Covid fuck up your wedding plans?

At first I was stoked to save about 25 grand when I found out we literally couldn’t have the wedding we planned, but now I’m stuck dealing with a PARTY for next year and figuring out what to do for the actual wedding date we both decided to stick with.

Wedding party in 2021 is pretty much the wedding rescheduled in my mind, and this upcoming October (10.10.2020) the date we’re still going to get married at I thought we could do something really small with immediate family and people in the wedding.

Seemed easy enough until I realize we’re still in a pandemic and ensuring everyone who comes
Can feel safe and comfortable enough is key.

NJ has indoor seating again, but after talking to some family we’re out on that overall as far as the October wedding goes. And because of weather almost nowhere outdoor will take reservations. Mostly self induced mayhem when in reality we should except we can’t make something happen for even 20 people as soon as next month, but hey, quarantine may have changed me. 

Anyone else have wedding plans blitz’d?
hopefully ty evans was there to film him laying on the ground in HD

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -718
Re: Covid wedding
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 08:25:11 AM »
My girl wants it or some reason. I will do everything in my power to avoid getting married.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 08:44:11 AM »

At first I was stoked to save about 25 grand when I found out we literally couldn’t have the wedding we planned, but now I’m stuck dealing with a PARTY for next year and figuring out what to do for the actual wedding date we both decided to stick with.

Wedding party in 2021 is pretty much the wedding rescheduled in my mind, and this upcoming October (10.10.2020) the date we’re still going to get married at I thought we could do something really small with immediate family and people in the wedding.

Seemed easy enough until I realize we’re still in a pandemic and ensuring everyone who comes

NJ has indoor seating again, but after talking to some family we’re out on that overall as far as the October wedding goes. And because of weather almost nowhere outdoor will take reservations. Mostly self induced mayhem when in reality we should except we can’t make something happen for even 20 people as soon as next month, but hey, quarantine may have changed me. 

I'm glad I just went to the courthouse. The marriage cost $35 dollars.

We had a basic party outside a few months later. Got some fancy outdoor event tents, hung up very large photos we had taken during our travels, got some food, and invited some people over. Shit cost a few hundred total.

I think this would work as a covid marriage party, but your partner's got to be down for a low key event.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 09:01:39 AM »

Glad it's not just me, pretty much same boat as you just a little further back. Got engaged end of last year, was looking at early to mid 2021 for a wedding. Both of us have pretty big extended families that we're tight with, so to do a "wedding" we'd be looking at at least 60-80 people. Original guest list was like 130. We were looking at venues up until May when we realized this wasn't going to get better any time soon.

Now going back and forth between small ceremony or elopement in 2021 or pushing the whole wedding back to 2022. I'm thinking small courthouse or backyard ceremony next year and then a 1- or 2- year anniversary party with all the family there further down the line might be the move - all of our family minus parents would have to travel from out of state or out of country so it's a pretty gnarly ask and we don't want to put anyone at risk.

It doesn't help that we currently live in the Newport Beach area and have to see people on social media and in real life setting up 200 person "dream weddings" all the time with no social distancing or thought about guests. Doesn't really bug me that much, selfish people are going to be selfish, but I can tell it bums out my fiance. We both know that we won't have a ceremony/party until we're sure everyone will be safe, but there's still that element of "well how come they can all get together".

Best of luck with your planning, hopefully you guys land on something that you're both stoked on. 

chewly

• Rep: 1
  • Aaron Hips
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 10:22:10 AM »
You hear about the wedding in Minnesota where a hundred people got covid? Nah dude.

Also, there's a correlation between $ spent on wedding and length of marriage. Basically, the cheaper the wedding the happier you'll be. It's not a guarantee, but what you save now means more for housing, vacations, living expenses, and/or kids.
I am not a cop

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1535
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »
I may not be the best person to give wedding advice given that I do not have a girlfriend, a wife, or any prospects whatsoever. 

That being said, I may be able provide a perspective that has a decent amount of objectivity and logic.

What I will say is that you can make lemonade out of these lemons and think about how you can use 25,000 dollars in a manner different from throwing a 1 day party.  Getting married is definitely a "life hammer".  24 hours goes by very quick. Eliminating debt is never a bad idea and saving for a home/paying down a mortgage is also not a bad idea. Also, you could go on a ridiculous honeymoon and have 18-20k to use on things to set up your future nicely.

We're all going to die so definitely live your life how you want. Just my 2 cents.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 06:08:59 PM »
My partner and I have been together for 6 years and for legal/financial reasons aren't trying to tie the knot just yet but we had been planning to have a ceremony/gathering in early august 2020 where our friends and loved ones could come together to celebrate our love and each other. It will be a nice thing to do; rent out a campground, prepare a bunch of good, fresh foods, provide weed and mushrooms for those wanting to partake, play the music and enjoy it all.We're both of the camp that it will happen when it happens and there's nothing we can do other than wait it out. When we get legally married, it will be a city hall trip.

My good buddy on the other hand, for whom I'm supposed to be the best man (I've been the best man in 2 other weddings. It's awful, especially because i no longer drink) in his wedding, had been planning a big wedding for 3 days after the US presidential election. This has obviously been delayed. He says they're gunning for May 1 or something but I don't know that I'll go to that covid fest either. Sounds like it's been a non stop pain in the ass trying to figure out what to do. I suggested going the city hall route and having a party when it's clear but they want the damn wedding.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 08:37:51 PM »
My sister in law did a Zoom wedding. She was supposed to get married here, in Souther California this past weekend but pandemic changed that. She and her now husband live in New York. So they got married virtually with people around the U.S.A, Canada, Mexico, and Philippines connecting via Zoom. It was actually kind of cool, well organized. The actually wedding ceremony was bout 25-30 minutes with just their friend getting them married, a photographer, and a couple other very close friends. We went over to my in laws (brides parents) and connected there, screened it on a big tv and just had our own cake, snacks, food, wife even made me buy a suit. Who buys a suit during pandemic? this guy. Yes, I considered only wearing top but they went all out. Just a thought, if it's well organized, can be pulled off. After ceremony, groups were split up in Zoom and the couple connected with each group separately. Something like 150 connected. Groups were split up to around 12 people.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 05:55:35 AM »
my wife and i got married at the courthouse right when quarantines were starting to be imposed... and actually not the courthouse, the civil magistrate was transferred to the county jail. so we got married in jail, with just a friend and a photographer as witnesses. it was actually great. we'll have a party when we can but not anytime soon.

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1045
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 11:48:15 AM »
We got screwed. Booked a ceremony in PR for June 2020 back in 2019. 15k for everything, beautiful place and half of our family is in PR.

Covid hits, we reschedule for December. Covid outlook looks pretty grim, we’re now scheduled for June 2021 but who know wtf will happen.

The double edged sword is we’re contractually bound to use the venue, no matter what. The owner had been cool about pushing it back a year but won’t just refund us.

Also, my wife’s entire family and friends are in PR and she is not stoked on them not being able to be apart of it. Looking at solutions for this in the future.

If any of you are doing a zoom wedding and want it live-streamed with pretty graphics, let me know and I’ll hook you up. I’ve already done a couple and the extended families were stoked.

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 06:55:47 PM »
We decided to bail on the 10.10 date, just gonna have the party in 2021.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 07:03:20 PM »
I'd prolly do it crazy small with just immediate fam, or elope....because who knows when you'll get to have a bunch of people together.  I pretty much did the same w/o COVID mind you....if you want to have a big party with everyone, you have the rest of your life to do it. 

It's a bummer but you know there will be some side show bullshit if you try and ram it through....

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 02:31:10 PM »
Our original date was May 9th, definitely wasn’t happening as planned so we scrapped it and saved the $$$, luckily we were able to get everything refunded. We didn’t want to delay getting married and were both down to just do something very low key, so we had a friend who is ordained marry us outdoors in a nice church courtyard with no one around but our immediate families and a photographer. Honestly no regrets at all once we got over the loss of our original plan.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 07:20:18 PM »
Beautiful....congrats...

You can take the time to call or message people, where normally there is so many people there you don't even have the time to chat...

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 32
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 07:39:21 AM »
OK so me and my fiance have had our venue booked for over a year. Our date is Nov. 14th. We stopped doing any planning in February when the first catering company told us their business was on hold. 1.5 months ago, our venue told us that they were not sure if they would be open (Ybor City Historical Garden, look it up if you wanna see a side of Ybor that is not Reservoir Bar or The Bricks) and if they were open, the capacity including vendors, venue employees, and guests would be maxed at 100. We originally had a little over 200 (wifey's dad has 12 brothers and sisters, and then cousins, holy shit) on our guest list. So we just started making cuts on pretty much people that would have to travel, and those aunts, uncles, and cousins we don't really talk to. Also told all of our single friends they would not be getting a plus 1. Instead of hiring out, my friends have now become the officiator, bartender, DJ, and hair/make up for my lady. Pretty much anything to double up a guest with a job to cut one person off the capacity. We have changed the venue to my parents house. They have a five acre farm with nice scenery and they actually rent out their farm for weddings, so it can be done, just not my original plan. Ordered hella masks and sanitizer. We'll be as safe as possible, but I made this angel wait over 10 years for this, so I'm not putting it off another day.

But the best part of my wedding will be my entrance. I have a Ric Flair robe that will be on over my tux and I'm walking out to his music with fireworks like I'm about to wrestle at Wrestlemania.

With all the drama and stress of making this happen, I am really looking forward to it!

tension

• SLAP Pal
  • Lexapro
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 08:10:09 AM »
** update, we just did the damn thing yesterday.

our old roommate and my childhood best friend is ordained (we did it while sitting at a bar in 2014, cost $15 and it is worth it) and we just bought him a bottle of whiskey and went to a nice restaurant and filled out the paper work. court house weddings aren't a thing due to covid so we just had to pick up the paper work and have 90 days to get it back to town hall for it to get filed and thats it.

were still going to have a celebration September of 2021 so we can celebrate for real.

also hot take- covid weddings are the new week long birthdays

love is chill, shalom yall.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 10:39:53 AM »
** update, we just did the damn thing yesterday.

our old roommate and my childhood best friend is ordained (we did it while sitting at a bar in 2014, cost $15 and it is worth it) and we just bought him a bottle of whiskey and went to a nice restaurant and filled out the paper work. court house weddings aren't a thing due to covid so we just had to pick up the paper work and have 90 days to get it back to town hall for it to get filed and thats it.

were still going to have a celebration September of 2021 so we can celebrate for real.

also hot take- covid weddings are the new week long birthdays

love is chill, shalom yall.

Congratulations! Wishing you a very happy and long marriage. Cheers.

SHALOM.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 10:58:34 AM »
Although COVID weddings aren't as epic as regular weddings, I think it is something people will appreciate in the long run. For one, it has to cost a fraction of what a normal wedding cost and also planning it has to be way more chill since expectations are really thrown out the window. And you can always make up for it later with other people sort of just extending your wedding even longer. I had the typical wedding with like 175 people and although fun, it was a total nightmare to plan even with year and a half of planning. I would have loved to just go to Yosemite and do our vows there and take some rad photos.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 03:47:21 AM »
We had planned a big weddng with 120 people in june. We pushed it back twice.

Finally we got married last friday with just 27 guests, had a nice dinner at a posh restaurant, some cocktails afterwards, that was it.

We are really happy everything worked out fine, we ejoyed every second of it. pretty sure the bigger wedding would have been a lot more stressfull.

Also it cost us a fraction of what we had planned, although we had to pay some cancellation fees.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2021, 05:37:39 AM »
My sister and her husband got married last month.  Because the gathering limits changed, they uninvited the siblings and invited their two best friends instead.  My partner and I didn’t go because a) we weren’t invited and b) it was illegal to.. but the other siblings went anyway and risked getting everyone $1000 fines.  So they have very nice pictures of themselves, this couple they hang out with, and our families minus myself and my spouse.  Still a little bitter about the whole thing.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2021, 06:36:25 AM »
my longest tenured graffiti writing partner was due to get married last spring. covid fucked up both the wedding as well as the bachelor party which was going to consist of doing acid and running around nola on dirt bikes

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2021, 07:00:38 AM »
We had planned a big weddng with 120 people in june. We pushed it back twice.

Finally we got married last friday with just 27 guests, had a nice dinner at a posh restaurant, some cocktails afterwards, that was it.

We are really happy everything worked out fine, we ejoyed every second of it. pretty sure the bigger wedding would have been a lot more stressfull.

Also it cost us a fraction of what we had planned, although we had to pay some cancellation fees.
Dude congratulations to everyone tying the knot! Have a great honeymoon.

I married my second wife at the courthouse with just her family present. We celebrated 19 year anniversary last week.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2021, 07:24:35 AM »
My wedding video.

This is from November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZaj2oH4jd0&t=766s

Enjoy.

Daskwer

• Rep: 0
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2021, 02:02:49 PM »
Yep, the wedding had to be postponed because of the covid, I was distraught. There were so many plans made that didn't come to fruition. We found a great place at www.aperfectspace.com just for this event. We invited all the guests, my girlfriend tried very hard to choose beautiful cards for the invitations. But unfortunately, the universe felt that we needed to postpone the wedding. And now it will soon be the end of 2021, and we are not married yet. Most of the family has already been vaccinated, but they still don't dare to go to the wedding. They say it's better to wait for a quieter time. I really hope it happens ASAP.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2021, 04:15:56 AM by Daskwer »

Fhk

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2021, 02:18:05 PM »
Yes, we had to postpone the wedding because of the covid, I was upset about that. So many plans were made that didn't come to fruition.
dodged that bullet. ;D

companguero

• Rep: 247
  • sesquipedalian
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2021, 12:28:38 AM »
My wedding video.

This is from November.

Enjoy.

Congratulations!

How's that wall board hanging nowadays?

Quote from: lazer69
Bitch, I dont got time to be on here reading every post.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2021, 01:13:49 PM »
Expand Quote
My wedding video.

This is from November.

Enjoy.
[close]

Dammit.