Author Topic: Dutch skatepark under fire for sexist art exhibition  (Read 6426 times)

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Dutch skatepark under fire for sexist art exhibition
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 06:52:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
People will complain about anything
[close]

Says Mr. Titty sig. Your hypocrisy is showing.

Edit: on a long board no less. Tits don’t make up for that trash.

Edit 2: Booyakasha!

Edit 3: Bitch almost fell off... pushing once, delete that garbage holmes. It ain’t edgy or sexy or cool. It is fucking dumb though. Congratulations. Wow tits. So funny and cool sig man, way to go. Not.

Edit 4: Nerd.
[close]

Hope you feel better now bud.
[close]

You mean now that I called you out on your dumb shit? Yea, not bad. Not like everyone hasn’t noticed before. You just happened to put it all on display. Nice job dipshit.
[close]

If calling someone out on a forum about skating helps you sleep brother, go for it. I can pretend to give a fuck if you want the attention.

Dude you called out that this thread was wack. I called you out for being a fucking limp dick pussy...

Edit: saying shit about women being not exploited and “who cares people complain about everything”. All while having that sig. Keep playing dumb you coward.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 07:02:33 PM »

Explain exactly what you meant by this and I’ll shut the fuck up...

I’m assuming you just mean “people will complain about anything that disenfranchises women”. Because you don’t give a fuck if it doesn’t affect you. No? Please explain.

Hyliannightmare

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -199
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2020, 07:06:09 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m assuming you just mean “people will complain about anything that disenfranchises women”. Because you don’t give a fuck if it doesn’t affect you. No? Please explain.

People will literally complain about anything.  You are complaining about me, my sig, asking for clips of me skating then you would complain about the quality of my skating or my kit. Theres a design on the park, artist explained his stance. Here you are bitching. Sweet

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2020, 07:10:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

People will literally complain about anything.  You are complaining about me, my sig, asking for clips of me skating then you would complain about the quality of my skating or my kit. Theres a design on the park, artist explained his stance. Here you are bitching. Sweet

I look like shit on a board and still post stuff.

If you have a chick with her tits out in your sig, “for fun and laughs”, While also not posting you skating. Then shut the fuck up. You talk shit about people pointing out your hypocrisy. And claiming you “don’t take this site seriously”, yet DMing me three times in a row. Seems like you do too, or are you just full of shit like I suspect?

Edit: I DMed you once to say put up or shut up and got three more messages. Who takes this shit more seriously? Hmmmmmm

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1403
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2020, 07:13:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

It's not that simple, buddy. The "artist's stance" is bullshit. This "exhibit" holds absolutely no value. I'm sure the ulterior motive is for the artist to gain notoriety and popularity, which goes against everything good art stands for. You'd have to be a total idiot to think that pasting women's faces on the ground, for a mostly male demographic to constantly walk and run and ride over, with the title "Destroy My Face," and the artist posting pictures of the damage on the women's faces, doesn't convey feelings of misogyny and abuse in spades. Skateboarding and the world in general doesn't need that, and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't really care about women or skateboarding. So it's bullshit. Stop defending bullshit.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2020, 07:14:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

If you have a chick with her tits out in your sig, “for fun and laughs”, While also not posting you skating. Then shut the fuck up. You talk shit about people pointing out your hypocrisy. And claiming you “don’t take this site seriously”, yet DMing me three times in a row. Seems like you do too, or are you just full of shit like I suspect?

Edit: I DMed you once to say put up or shut up and got three more messages. Who takes this shit more seriously? Hmmmmmm

You apparently

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2020, 07:15:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You apparently

Deflection! Obvious. Nice job.

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2020, 07:17:11 PM »
I’m here all night ya kook.

n0ch1Ldlef+bh1nd

• Rep: 7
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2020, 07:17:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You apparently

lol replying continuously to prove u dont care

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2020, 07:24:46 PM »
Art can touch on sensitive issues and still be respectful to people.

Art can create discussions. Skillfully presented art points the discussion in a direction that people may not have considered.

Art can be uncomfortable.

But so can shit.

When an art piece is so poorly executed that people get a completely different message than what the artist had intended, you have to wonder how much planning went into it, and if the artist’s main message carries any validity.

The ‘artist’ supposedly wanted to make a message about botched plastic surgery, and something about how we should be ourselves?

It was so crudely done.

First, only women were chosen. There are plenty of botched male surgeries as well (for example, guys looking for a bigger dick). But WHY were only women chosen?

Why only botched surgeries?  Why not all plastic surgery, if being oneself is the message?

How does ruining the images through the act of (probably entirely male) skateboarding contribute to understanding the main message?

Aren’t the images alone are powerful statements against plastic surgery? (Which I think is one of the messages of the person who took the portraits)

How does skating and destroying those images add anything remotely interesting or even understandable?

My immediate take-away is that the violence though destruction is some kind of poor form of ‘punishing’, like ripping up the picture of an ex.

I assume the ladies whose surgeries are botched are not especially happy about it.
Why would they need to be further punished in this form? 

This project seems to just blame the women for their choices. That’s pretty fucking basic and crude.

More interesting would be to explore why they made the choice to potentially ruin their faces in the pursuit of beauty.

What drove them to do it?  These kind  deeper issues would provoke some kind of actual productive conversations.

But not this. I can’t see any further deeper message than scratching out the faces of women who are already punished for their choices to adhere to some kind of beauty standard. 

The reasoning for using skateboards to carry out is completely obscure, it’s either a completely haphazard and extremely poorly thought-out piece, or it it is all that, plus blatantly presenting the misogynistic view of the artist.

It’s so bad and blatantly anti-woman that I can’t see how it’s not the latter

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2020, 07:26:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You apparently
[close]

He ain’t that smart.

Basically he is like a bag of mushed up donkey brains and fake tits. Somehow that smashes together in juuuussst an intelligent enough way to post dumb shit on slap. And here we are.

It’s really, truly an anomaly.

n0ch1Ldlef+bh1nd

• Rep: 7
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2020, 07:35:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You apparently
[close]

[close]

He ain’t that smart.

Basically he is like a bag of mushed up donkey brains and fake tits. Somehow that smashes together in juuuussst an intelligent enough way to post dumb shit on slap. And here we are.

It’s really, truly an anomaly.

i think an issue with a lot of dudes like this is selective hearing, just hear whats safest for them, idk. i could understand why personally attacking him seems reasonable, considering these dudes whole thing is "dont be pc, dont take shit personally, blah blah blah," but going that route just seems to create an argument about nothing lol

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2020, 07:37:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You apparently
[close]

Your opinion wont change mine, mine won't change yours.

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2020, 07:38:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You apparently
[close]

[close]

Nah you’re right, mine is set. You are a dumb ass. Congratulations.

Edit: Jesus Christ I waited, like forever, holy shit, to see if you would give me a good zinger or something, but no. Guess you aren’t quick enough. Very disappointing.

Too late.

Up your game kid.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 07:50:04 PM by os89 »

lilboosie

• Rep: 227
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2020, 07:59:50 PM »
i like where this is going

xX_420_Blaze_It_Xx

• Rep: -14
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2020, 10:51:56 PM »
This guys is done def asf. These women didn’t want botched surgeries. They didn’t ask for that shit. Also skating is progressively gotten more and more inclusive so why is this guy bringing skating into his weird hatred for women who want surgery? Like who the fuck cares. Skating doesn’t need this dumb shit. It’s like some guy just piggy backing on skateboard culture to put out some shitty edgy art. It’s sad that we are even giving this art a thread. Fuckin wack

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2020, 11:12:58 PM »
fake woke art at its finest.

Shuh

• Rep: 0
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2020, 11:43:29 PM »
I love it when lefties fight themselves.

rapscallion

• Rep: -4
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2020, 01:16:12 AM »
The message behind it is stupid, but the novelty is something. Would be down to skate that park.
If he has rights to the images used then what's the problem?

excitableboy

• Rep: 93
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2020, 02:46:43 AM »
In terms of art, this is juvenile and transparently grabbing attention. The artist (I had to look him up—he's actually in his 50s) wanted to 'show how faces can be destroyed as easily as they are made (...) and suggest something about selfie culture and the way we currently treat imagery'. Vapid nonsense, if you ask me. He obviously foresaw this controversy and covered his ass. The photos are composite images, doctored from female as well as male faces. This way, no real people could complain (sue), and any criticism of misogyny could plausibly be countered. Of course all the faces are clearly more feminine than masculine, so would reliably stir up controversy. Or am I being cynical here?

What's more puzzling is how in the world did the skatepark give the OK for this? What did they have to gain from it? (It will be removed after two months, by the way.)

Edit: I said 'doctored', but Kessels has a counter for that, too. An algorithm composed the images. Again, maybe it's just me but each of these portraits seem female. Not a short-haired one among them. All with makeup. The artwork is part of a photographic art series inspired by Dickens' Tale of Two Cities (best of times, worst of times). Talk about a stretch. Or maybe it isn't? This work may indeed be indicative of what sucks about current times, in that it shows how people are willing to pander an overtly bullshit narrative just to gain the spotlight. In doing exactly that, the artist might be criticizing this?

Perhaps it is good art then?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 03:58:59 AM by excitableboy »

quesly

• Rep: 14
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2020, 03:10:42 AM »
I feel bad and really don't at the same time feel bad for the owners of the skatepark. Like this kook artist came in and probably didn't explain what he was going to do very well and now he's totally fucked up their skatepark's image. At the same time they let said kook artist turn their park into an art exhibit. If I rolled up to the park and saw this I would probably just go elsewhere because that shit seems insanely distracting in addition to being really fucked up and misogynistic.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2020, 03:26:29 AM »
And the act of skating over people’s faces, ‘destroying’ them, what kind of subtle take-home are we supposed to get out of that rather than willful disrespect?

It is pitiful. It doesn’t create any more meaningful of a conversation than spitting on them does.

It is a knee-jerk reaction to women getting plastic surgery, and basically attacking them, refusing to look at why it is so popular in today’s society.

It doesn’t come anywhere close to grappling with the main issues of WHY.  There is so much that could be explored with the topic.

The use of skating here is actually way worse for the art piece as a whole, because spitting would have clear symbolism as performance art. Why did the artist choose skateboarding for the destructive act? Was it because of any connection between skateboarding and cosmetic surgery / women / selfie culture? Maybe because skateboarding is still seen as a male-dominant activity? No, it's clear that he just thinks sk8ing is cool. Youth culture monster energy backwards cap chaka brah.

I think the artist's expression here is so glaringly obvious that it's not even offensive at all, it's just really, really lame.

georgethecat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 638
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2020, 04:27:01 AM »
The message behind it is stupid, but the novelty is something. Would be down to skate that park.
If he has rights to the images used then what's the problem?

I know this may come as a shock, but it's possible to be an ignorant dork while still abiding by copyright laws.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2020, 04:31:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

You apparently
[close]

[close]

[close]

Nah you’re right, mine is set. You are a dumb ass. Congratulations.

Edit: Jesus Christ I waited, like forever, holy shit, to see if you would give me a good zinger or something, but no. Guess you aren’t quick enough. Very disappointing.

Too late.

Up your game kid.

I'll put it on my to do list brother

know_your_role

• Rep: 10
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2020, 04:31:48 AM »
os89 i never had anything against you but you're making yourself look like a fucking idiot in this thread

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 268
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2020, 05:22:28 AM »
Objectively, the huge scale of the work is pretty impressive, I just feel the artist has missed an opportunity here. In his statement, he speaks about "the function of art is to start dialogues", to deflect from criticism, but when the subject of your work are all female, with "botched plastic surgery", especially as a male artist, what kind of "dialogue" are you even trying to start? He's tried to make some kind of statement on the trappings of vanity or something, but just came across as a another man telling women what to do/look like. Such a one-dimensional idea for such a huge space, with the conceptual potency of that guy that spells out the angsty sentences with balloons. Perhaps if paired together, they would both dissipate into a cloud of their own farts.

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2020, 05:22:54 AM »
I'll put it on my to do list brother

Booooooooo, ya incel

os89 i never had anything against you but you're making yourself look like a fucking idiot in this thread

Oh my lord? God forgive me! Please. I need your approval to feel validated on slap.

The “artwork” sucks. Unless you have some enlightened take on this shit, it’s trash.

Objectively, the huge scale of the work is pretty impressive, I just feel the artist has missed an opportunity here. In his statement, he speaks about "the function of art is to start dialogues", to deflect from criticism, but when the subject of your work are all female, with "botched plastic surgery", especially as a male artist, what kind of "dialogue" are you even trying to start? He's tried to make some kind of statement on the trappings of vanity or something, but just came across as a another man telling women what to do/look like. Such a one-dimensional idea for such a huge space, with the conceptual potency of that guy that spells out the angsty sentences with balloons. Perhaps if paired together, they would both dissipate into a cloud of their own farts.

Exactly
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 06:02:20 AM by os89 »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1064
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2020, 06:02:59 AM »
You think anyone’s gotten down and kissed any of those giant lips when no one was watching?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 632
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2020, 06:07:54 AM »

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 229
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2020, 06:26:34 AM »
I see the artist’s intention and I think it is an interesting topic but the execution is pretty weak and the argument that it presents a misogynistic message is valid.

If the concept was to have uncontrolled destruction in juxtaposition to planned “destruction” (plastic surgery) then something more interactive than just rolling over people’s faces would strengthen that idea. And that it is only women’s faces on display does imply that cosmetic enhancements and curated presentations of the digital self is only something to be criticized if it’s women doing so when it’s just as common to see men doing the exact same things.

The skatepark looks fun though.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes