Author Topic: Geoff Rowley lifestyle piece  (Read 3952 times)

formula420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
Geoff Rowley lifestyle piece
« on: September 12, 2020, 09:37:49 PM »
https://youtu.be/UUJQPKvrVfk

Seems like a rad dude

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 367
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Geoff Rowley lifestyle piece
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 11:45:46 PM »
A little long, but that was kinda dope.

Off topic, don't buy Yeti shit.  There's shit just as good for like a third of the price.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 02:43:51 AM »
It never ceases to amuse me that he named his daughter the same name he gave his pet ferret. (I know this from being a massive Flip fan boy during the Sorry! days)

jonnysheen

• Rep: -63
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 06:59:10 AM »
He didn't shoot an animal?!  very disappointing.

It amazes me that he used to be a vegan and now gets his kicks from killing.   

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 07:19:56 AM »

You didn’t watch it

ChronicBluntSlider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 07:50:53 AM »
I feel like Reynolds might not have gotten picked up by Vans if Rowley had aged better as a skater and wasn’t completely consumed with playing Davey Crocket

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 08:18:58 AM »
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

jonnysheen

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 08:46:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You didn’t watch it

He did shoot an animal?

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 09:10:57 AM »
This sounds similar to a lot of his interviews. Wasn't much new in it. It's mostly a really long ad. As an aside, can anyone explain why people hunt predatory animals like big cats? He had a book about that. I can kinda understand why you might shoot animals you eat but why a big cat, which most hunters don't eat?

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 09:16:43 AM »
This sounds similar to a lot of his interviews. Wasn't much new in it. It's mostly a really long ad. As an aside, can anyone explain why people hunt predatory animals like big cats? He had a book about that. I can kinda understand why you might shoot animals you eat but why a big cat, which most hunters don't eat?

the thrill of the hunt MAN. you've never gotten a boner bigger than when you (and the 15 people you hired to actually help you) are able to corner an animal that's terrified and shoot it so that you can brag about it on instagram and pretend you're a survivor that's providing for his family

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 09:52:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

the thrill of the hunt MAN. you've never gotten a boner bigger than when you (and the 15 people you hired to actually help you) are able to corner an animal that's terrified and shoot it so that you can brag about it on instagram and pretend you're a survivor that's providing for his family

That made me think of the obnoxious assholes that put loud mufflers on their cars. There's probably some overlap in mentality there for people who think this stuff is cool.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 10:01:30 AM »

one aspect is the predator/prey balance of an area.  if a prey species has low numbers you might want to take out some predators so the prey population can increase again.

COMMUNITYPACK

• Rep: 51
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 11:58:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

one aspect is the predator/prey balance of an area.  if a prey species has low numbers you might want to take out some predators so the prey population can increase again.

Yeah, I bet those mountain sheep he's hunting are destroying buckets of prey every day.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 02:21:03 PM »
This has confirmed that I do not give a shit about Geoff Rowley post Flip. Just a big hypocrite at this point.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 07:07:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah, I bet those mountain sheep he's hunting are destroying buckets of prey every day.

Maybe I watched this too late, but from what I saw from this video I just saw hunting as more of finding and watching animals rather than killing for sport.   The mountain sheep they were looking for was to make sure they were following normal grazing/movement patterns and the fact that they couldn’t find them meant there was perhaps an issue in the ecology of the area that needed to be addressed.   Some of you seem like you have more info on what he does, but it seems like he’s conservationally minded and his hired “hunts” are just intensive nature walks and not creepy safaris the Trump kids would go on

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2020, 09:07:38 PM »
The noseblunt at 9:00 is a thing of beauty.

jonnysheen

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 02:21:25 AM »
Yeah, this piece doesn't talk about hunting much but in another one, a few months ago, he talks about hunting giving him "a lot of fulfilment"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qS23aJNjGc

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 05:30:07 AM »
Yeah, this piece doesn't talk about hunting much but in another one, a few months ago, he talks about hunting giving him "a lot of fulfilment"

I don’t want to watch something about animals being killed, so is he in it for population management, sport, food, vicarious thrills ?

jonnysheen

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 08:02:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t want to watch something about animals being killed, so is he in it for population management, sport, food, vicarious thrills ?

No animals were killed.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 08:13:11 AM by jonnysheen »

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 09:46:58 AM »
I was the editor for this video, and it's kind of weird that it doesn't say anywhere on the video itself, but Greg Hunt directed it.

Neither Greg nor I are really into hunting (I'm basically vegetarian), but we wanted to focus on the physical and mental demands of scouting and how that relates to/affects his skateboarding. Geoff definitely does hunt animals and is a paid hunting guide. But he also is conservation-minded, and the scene with the helicopter is, as someone pointed out, about watching migration patterns and showing concern for changes in it. There had been a virus among the sheep population there, and, as Geoff notes, people who pay for the hunts that he guides are helping fund research into how to manage that virus and sustain the population.

Personally, I'm like, "But is that mostly so that you can continue hunting them?" But I think it's not a really a binary thing. Yes, Geoff and his clients definitely want to hunt them. I'm not into that, and I don't have to be. And guided hunts can seem like a somewhat crude way to create funding for research, but it does seem to be pretty effective method. So yeah, it's a complicated subject, and a complicated video, but our goal with focusing less on the act of killing and more on the act of scouting was to hopefully put something out there that's a little more broadly applicable for skateboarders who aren't into hunting but who may be into birding, wildlife photography, hiking, etc.

Definitely happy to talk more about all of this for anybody that has questions!!

pbj

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 10:14:15 AM »
I was the editor for this video, and it's kind of weird that it doesn't say anywhere on the video itself, but Greg Hunt directed it.

Looks like the credits are listed in the video description, not sure if they were there when you posted this.

Anyway, nice work and congrats! I do the same sort of work and I'm always happy to see skateboarders working in the industry. I've always found it to be a shame how many talented skate filmers never really find a lane for themselves outside of filming/editing skateboarding.

Copthorne14

• Rep: -24
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 10:29:26 AM »

Neither Greg nor I are really into hunting (I'm basically vegetarian), but we wanted to focus on the physical and mental demands of scouting and how that relates to/affects his skateboarding. Geoff definitely does hunt animals and is a paid hunting guide. But he also is conservation-minded, and the scene with the helicopter is, as someone pointed out, about watching migration patterns and showing concern for changes in it. There had been a virus among the sheep population there, and, as Geoff notes, people who pay for the hunts that he guides are helping fund research into how to manage that virus and sustain the population.

Personally, I'm like, "But is that mostly so that you can continue hunting them?" But I think it's not a really a binary thing. Yes, Geoff and his clients definitely want to hunt them. I'm not into that, and I don't have to be. And guided hunts can seem like a somewhat crude way to create funding for research, but it does seem to be pretty effective method. So yeah, it's a complicated subject, and a complicated video, but our goal with focusing less on the act of killing and more on the act of scouting was to hopefully put something out there that's a little more broadly applicable for skateboarders who aren't into hunting but who may be into birding, wildlife photography, hiking, etc.

Definitely happy to talk more about all of this for anybody that has questions!!

It was an interesting video and an interesting parallel between the disciplines to draw on. Nicely done, it was a well put together piece.

excitableboy

• Rep: 90
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 11:23:01 PM »
I recall meeting a park ranger years back who told me there are far more effective ways of controlling animal populations than hunting, contraception being the primary one. According to him the most hunted species aren't candidates for culling at all, and he was adamant that conservation was a flimsy pretext for people who like to shoot animals. Virtue signalling for hunters, I believe he called it.

I've no idea whether that's true but figured some of you might weigh in.

jonnysheen

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2020, 12:53:35 AM »

Why are you not fully vegetarian?

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2020, 01:03:21 AM »

Wildlife preservation should be the domain of government departments and not a for-profit organization that has to get funds by destroying parts of the very thing they are trying to preserve. I do understand that there will always be a need to cull at least some invasive species such as wild hogs, but land use and pollution that affect the wildlife the most cannot be managed by local actors alone. There has to be a systemic approach.

From a vegan standpoint, closing down all farms raising livestock would be a great enough change, since I imagine the amount of game hunted pales in comparison (just reduce it to the absolute necessary culling, however we could ever define that).

DMH

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2020, 09:58:15 AM »

Call me unprincipled, but I'll eat a nicer meal with meat in it every couple months because I think it often tastes good. As someone who used to think "it's not a meal if it doesn't include meat" until like 3 years ago, it's a big step for me. Also, just knowing myself, if I say that I can't ever do something again, it just makes it harder for me to not do it (e.g., smoking, which I quit a couple years ago but will still allow myself a cigarette once every 3-4 months). That's not going to work for everyone, but it's what works for me.

Wildlife preservation should be the domain of government departments and not a for-profit organization that has to get funds by destroying parts of the very thing they are trying to preserve. I do understand that there will always be a need to cull at least some invasive species such as wild hogs, but land use and pollution that affect the wildlife the most cannot be managed by local actors alone. There has to be a systemic approach.

From a vegan standpoint, closing down all farms raising livestock would be a great enough change, since I imagine the amount of game hunted pales in comparison (just reduce it to the absolute necessary culling, however we could ever define that).

Both of these would definitely be ideal scenarios, and I think it's good to keep the pressure on governments to protect wildlife and land. It seems to me, though, that a lot of government entities are pretty disinterested in land or wildlife management unless there's a financial incentive for them to do so. Working on this video is as close as I've come to having experience with hunting or wildlife management, but it does seems like private-public cooperation could be useful until local governments would be able to manage these populations themselves (which will require a lot of dedicated, good-hearted humans being involved and a lot of financial investment).

Looks like the credits are listed in the video description, not sure if they were there when you posted this.

Anyway, nice work and congrats! I do the same sort of work and I'm always happy to see skateboarders working in the industry. I've always found it to be a shame how many talented skate filmers never really find a lane for themselves outside of filming/editing skateboarding.

Thanks, man! I actually was doing work that had nothing to do with skateboarding for a long time, and then just letting other people know that I skated ended up with me working on skate-related stuff. So I think I did it backwards, compared to most people.

And yeah, I did see that the credits are in the video description, but if you just watch the embedded link, there aren't any credits on the video itself, so you might not know.

It was an interesting video and an interesting parallel between the disciplines to draw on. Nicely done, it was a well put together piece.

Thank you! Again, I'm still learning about all of this myself, and it's a subject that people feel really passionately about in one direction or another. So it's been interesting to see how people are responding to this, and I appreciate everybody who's taken the time to watch and share their thoughts.

disintegration

• Rep: -113
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2020, 11:06:00 AM »
What a load of shite. He's hardly discovering more spots to expand his skating. He's just finding more ditches in California and not going anywhere else. So over Rowley at this point.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 11:13:00 AM by disintegration »

disintegration

• Rep: -113
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2020, 11:11:11 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yea lol, you can't be 'basically' vegetarian. You either are or you aren't.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2020, 11:36:52 AM »
wait, what? saying you quit smoking except for once a quarter isn't quitting, and saying you're basically vegetarian except when you eat meat is just kinda silly. 

you're saying i quit smoking except when i smoke, and i don't eat meat except when i do

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2020, 11:48:05 AM »
I recall meeting a park ranger years back who told me there are far more effective ways of controlling animal populations than hunting, contraception being the primary one. According to him the most hunted species aren't candidates for culling at all, and he was adamant that conservation was a flimsy pretext for people who like to shoot animals. Virtue signalling for hunters, I believe he called it.

I've no idea whether that's true but figured some of you might weigh in.

I suppose I can comment on/supplement what you said here.

True ethical hunters tend to be some of the most astute conservationists and wildland scientists because they spend the most time in wilderness areas. They are aware of trends or changes in native wildlife populations.

Organizations like the national park service and fish and game departments, while also maintaining conservation and scientific approaches to wildlife and land management, are also largely revenue driven. You see it a lot with upland bird species for example. Pheasants are non-native birds from China that out-compete native birds like sage grouse and sharp tail grouse. Other things like resource development and farming (there you go vegetarians) cause damage to wild species habitats as well. So really its just a matter of philosophy on management and balance. You can still hunt sage grouse in almost all western states even though they are critically endangered. You can also drive paved roads all throughout national parks. Why? Because agencies need money from tourism. A few years ago, there was a huge issue with wolves in MT and some other western states. All the overzealous land owners pushed for population control and hunted them heavily. Now we see huge herds of elk and bison infected with brucellosis and other diseases because of over hunting of the wolves. Again...money vs balance.

To summarize, most park rangers are law enforcement more so than biologists and eco systems experts. Therefore they are not any kind of authority of wildlife populations or environmental balance. Its hard to be anti-hunting as you sit in your 60 foot RV in Yellowstone eating a kale and quinoa salad watching a 60inch tv.

True conservation would mean making all national forest wilderness areas with foot only traffic and minimal trail maintenance. That said, I’ve hunted my entire life and I’ve never shot a predator. Shooting mountain lions, bears, etc. is bad karma. I eat what I shoot. I ate bear and it tasted like greasy pork. I ate mountain lion and it tasted like pork/chicken. Not my thing though. I also despise the guiding industry as they lobby to privatize and monetize public lands. Not sure why I wrote any of this but why the hell not.