Author Topic: Geoff Rowley lifestyle piece  (Read 3956 times)

DMH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 88
Re: Geoff Rowley lifestyle piece
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2020, 11:58:57 AM »
wait, what? saying you quit smoking except for once a quarter isn't quitting, and saying you're basically vegetarian except when you eat meat is just kinda silly. 

you're saying i quit smoking except when i smoke, and i don't eat meat except when i do

I suppose that is what I said. I should have said, "I eat mostly vegetables" and "I cut down from a full pack a day to 3-4 cigarettes a year."  I'll make sure to not count myself among the vegetarian or non-smoking communities going forward. Appreciate everybody going in to keep me in check with my verbiage.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2020, 12:01:20 PM »
It is only a matter of time before he goes for the ultimate thrill. The most dangerous game. A man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKb7Hyus5-Y

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 04:53:46 PM »
I got baaad blisters on my toes from his solo shoe.
Rapidweld was a good comeback though

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 07:59:20 PM »
Expand Quote
This sounds similar to a lot of his interviews. Wasn't much new in it. It's mostly a really long ad. As an aside, can anyone explain why people hunt predatory animals like big cats? He had a book about that. I can kinda understand why you might shoot animals you eat but why a big cat, which most hunters don't eat?
[close]

the thrill of the hunt MAN. you've never gotten a boner bigger than when you (and the 15 people you hired to actually help you) are able to corner an animal that's terrified and shoot it so that you can brag about it on instagram and pretend you're a survivor that's providing for his family
I grew up with with a hunting family.  Mostly pheasant and deer in the Midwest.  My father moved to Alaska when I was seven.  I spent time with him hunting bear and moose up there.  It was long before like atv assisted hunting which is fucking terrible and in my opinion should be illegal.  I only back archery style in nature hunting.  We always have eaten all animals we kill.   Cleaning/field dressing large animals to extract them from the wild is gnarly.  Moose , elk, deer and pheasant are pretty good if you’re a meat eater.   Bear is the worst, so greasy and terrible.  Every summer I spent with my pops I had to bear sausage.  My father and I no longer hunt and it’s funny as fuck to me how he makes fun of tourist hunters in AK.  Moral of my rant is there no reason to ever kill a big cat unless it is about to kill your family.  Cat hunting is for kooks! 

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 05:32:51 AM »
i haven't had a chance to watch the Rowley clip, but will.

i'm a full-time vegetarian/part-time vegan of about 30 years, and i have no problem with most hunting--as long as all/most of the animal is being utilized and as much consideration goes into minimizing suffering in the process of killing it, then far be it for me to criticize...

...after all--as i say above--i'm a vegetarian who has lived in American urban environments the vast majority of life (like most vegetarians i've known), so i'm the privileged aberration on the planet--there's nothing natural or sustainable about how i live and eat (or anyone like me), unlike a lot of hunters who would have to be included in this conversation.

fuck all of those "canned" hunts and rich assholes going after endangered species and drugged animals, etc., but that's a given, isn't it? in this regard, anyone ever read this?

it's on my shelf and i need to reread--it's been a while, but i remember the chapters on factory farms and canned hunting being pretty jarring. also, surprisingly enough, dude's coming at it from a kind of conservative, religious background--he was George W. Bush's speech writer, and of course, we all probably understand where the whole burden of "dominion" idea is derived....nonetheless, i've always kind of considered this imperative reading for anyone who cares about all of the critters that we are fortunate enough to share the planet with...

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 06:16:50 AM »
Off topic, don't buy Yeti shit.  There's shit just as good for like a third of the price.

lol, yeah but they look like shit. what is this goofy voltron looking shit?

yeti is a luxury brand. your paying for a more polished stylish option. it's like apple or bose in the ice chest space. what would you rather be carrying around? the bags above or this one:

also like most luxury brand their customer service is great. my wife got me a bag like the one above for fathers day 4 years ago and after 2 years the zipper broke and they sent me the new model no questions asked. 2 years later, zipper broke again, i called and they sent me the newest model. that's 3 bags over 4 years for 300 bucks and with this brand new bag i'll probably be good for another 2 years or so. yeti's one of the best brands out right now. bose used to be sick like this but now they won't exchange anything.

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2020, 07:49:23 AM »
Expand Quote
wait, what? saying you quit smoking except for once a quarter isn't quitting, and saying you're basically vegetarian except when you eat meat is just kinda silly. 

you're saying i quit smoking except when i smoke, and i don't eat meat except when i do
[close]

I suppose that is what I said. I should have said, "I eat mostly vegetables" and "I cut down from a full pack a day to 3-4 cigarettes a year."  I'll make sure to not count myself among the vegetarian or non-smoking communities going forward. Appreciate everybody going in to keep me in check with my verbiage.
if u only smoke 3-4 cigs a year you quit in my book

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2020, 07:57:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yea, I’ll have one at a show or when catching up with old friends.

It is enjoyable, but only when you’re smoking. If you’re not but someone else is in the car or something, it sucks.

Haven’t bought a pack in 5 years. I probably have 10 smokes a year. So I guess haven’t quit, still have one on occasion.

Now weed, different story. I smoke everyday, way too much, currently cutting back.

disintegration

• Rep: -113
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2020, 11:31:56 AM »

i'm a full-time vegetarian/part-time vegan of about 30 years, and i have no problem with most hunting--as long as all/most of the animal is being utilized and as much consideration goes into minimizing suffering in the process of killing it, then far be it for me to criticize...

...after all--as i say above--i'm a vegetarian who has lived in American urban environments the vast majority of life (like most vegetarians i've known), so i'm the privileged aberration on the planet--there's nothing natural or sustainable about how i live and eat (or anyone like me), unlike a lot of hunters who would have to be included in this conversation.

fuck all of those "canned" hunts and rich assholes going after endangered species and drugged animals, etc., but that's a given, isn't it? in this regard, anyone ever read this?

it's on my shelf and i need to reread--it's been a while, but i remember the chapters on factory farms and canned hunting being pretty jarring. also, surprisingly enough, dude's coming at it from a kind of conservative, religious background--he was George W. Bush's speech writer, and of course, we all probably understand where the whole burden of "dominion" idea is derived....nonetheless, i've always kind of considered this imperative reading for anyone who cares about all of the critters that we are fortunate enough to share the planet with...

Ok, but you happily eat dairy and eggs? The dairy and egg industry is extreme factory farming.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2020, 02:14:21 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ok, but you happily eat dairy and eggs? The dairy and egg industry is extreme factory farming.

huh?

Sick Duck

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2020, 02:29:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yea, I’ll have one at a show or when catching up with old friends.

It is enjoyable, but only when you’re smoking. If you’re not but someone else is in the car or something, it sucks.

Haven’t bought a pack in 5 years. I probably have 10 smokes a year. So I guess haven’t quit, still have one on occasion.

Now weed, different story. I smoke everyday, way too much, currently cutting back.
to me that’s still pretty much quitting. You’re not spending money, u don’t always smell like shit, and i think it’s pretty safe to say your 10 cigs a year aren’t gonna give u cancer. When i think of quitting i think like quitting the habit of habitually smoking which it sounds like u did

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2020, 07:29:43 PM »
If you rarely eat meat and are mostly vegetarian yes you are still vegetarian.

If you barely smoke but still have a few a year yes you are a non smoker because that is the predominant lifestyle choice you made.

I don't understand why that dude was being so snarky about it.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2020, 07:49:49 PM »
If you rarely eat meat and are mostly vegetarian yes you are still vegetarian.

If you barely smoke but still have a few a year yes you are a non smoker because that is the predominant lifestyle choice you made.

I don't understand why that dude was being so snarky about it.

lol no you're literally not. the smoking thing is whatever, different ideas.

but being 'mostly' vegetarian is not a thing. that just means you don't eat a lot of meat.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

masturskater

• Rep: 21
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2020, 09:04:23 PM »
Does eating meat ever in your life bar you from holding "vegetarian" status?

Seriously, why even bother policing this shit? What does it even matter?

If someone likes to avoid or reduce their meat intake, let them. If they eat meat, who the fuck cares? Are they all of a sudden wrong because of that?

Geoff seems to have a higher level of respect for nature and animals than your average person. And from my point of view he hasn't done anything more egregious towards animals than your average person either.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 296
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2020, 09:06:05 PM »
Perfect example of vegetarians and vegans being so self righteous.

Shouldn't you be encouraging him for minimising his meat consumption instead of chastising him for occasionally enjoying a steak?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2020, 12:27:08 AM »
Does eating meat ever in your life bar you from holding "vegetarian" status?

No, but you don’t get gold star status like gay men and women who have never dabbled in heterosexual sex before (say before they were out)

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2020, 09:34:26 AM »
i know i'm letting myself get too worked up about this, but alas, i am.

eating meat before you went veggie/vegan doesn't discount you. i went vegan 6 years ago, and before that, my favorite meal was a double double with a chocolate milkshake

but, titles have meaning. maybe they're only important to some, but they are. i love the idea that people are reducing meat consumption. i understand going vegan isn't feasible for everyone. hell, i don't have an enormous problem with hunters that actually hunt their own meat. they understand the process and where their food comes from.

but saying you're veggie or vegan but eating meat some times is just not true. you can say you eat mostly veggies, that's true. but saying you're vegetarian or vegan has certain ethical assumptions that come along with it, and sometimes eating meat undercuts those.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me