Author Topic: Design flaws with each trucks.  (Read 2885 times)

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 229
Re: Design flaws with each trucks.
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2020, 04:41:24 PM »
Jim is a national treasure.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2020, 05:02:43 PM »
Expand Quote

I proposed y'all's idea for a SLAP Collab Shalom in the colors or a SLAP flying wing he liked the idea of it but since Covid-19 has shutdown everything it's not entirely possible but he said he is definitely down for making a collaboration happen just give him time.
[close]

I would scalp 20 pairs and sell them on the Sales Thread as part of the entry fee to becoming a Slap Pal. Sick you managed to get some time in with him to give customer feedback.
I’m just glad he took the time to listen to me and give feedback, such a sweet guy.

I’m a loyal fan of all things under the DLXSF brand.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 05:50:04 PM by El Fapinator »
Dueces Bitch's

CrackWhore2000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2020, 05:40:50 PM »
They don’t make gullwing pros in red anymore

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1301
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2020, 07:58:43 PM »
i've never used deck rails so idk how they're mounted or anything but just thinking about it what if you just put like a piece of rail in front of the baseplate that should give you clearance right?
You just invented reverse OG Tensors
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Hash Slinging Slasher

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2020, 08:59:03 AM »
can't believe the thunder complaints... you're all just sliding wrong

notmikerusczyk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2020, 10:21:54 AM »

Spoke with Jim T last night about Thunder's design flaws and hopefully we can have a dialogue tonight and speak fully about this.
wow jim is something else. set up some ventures recently and makes me happy to be supporting him after seeing yet another example of how sick he is

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2020, 12:31:44 PM »
Expand Quote

Spoke with Jim T last night about Thunder's design flaws and hopefully we can have a dialogue tonight and speak fully about this.
[close]
wow jim is something else. set up some ventures recently and makes me happy to be supporting him after seeing yet another example of how sick he is
Such a sweetheart of a character to run that company.  We mainly played the name game of who and where we met in the Bay Area.

Well I reminded him of a show and the lineup he figured it out as I was like dude I'm the guy who kept bugging you at etc.. show in Oakland.

He asked if I was recording this call I'm like no dude you're good.  He did let me know a few things to what's going to happen and not confirming but he was speculative of possible kingpin changes and other things that I think all of you guy's will like
Dueces Bitch's

Frank and Fred

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2020, 01:08:18 PM »
Ask our Friend Jim when the F4 97as are out. K? Thanks.

Also,  Venture and Thunder are great but DLXSF need an Indy/ Ace type model for those that like carvey, transition friendly loose truck approach...

Junglist

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2020, 10:39:45 PM »
i would check out a redesigned thunder.

used to ride them from 2003-2008, but then was tired of kingpins breaking and axle slipping.

getting the kingpin out and a new one in was also really difficult with these for some reason, i remember i had to go to two shops to get the kingpin remains out of one truck, then broke the other trucks kingpin two days later and had the same problem again which ultimately made me try indys.

i love my ventures, but sometimes i want a truck that gives that low, easy popping feeling, which venture his defs aren't. that's why i kind of want a secondary setup with aces or thunders.
If you can find some forged baseplates for your ventures they make a world of difference man. Sounds minute but trust me, they have that low easier pop feeling while still feeling like the hi.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1923
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2020, 08:44:25 AM »
Expand Quote

used to ride them from 2003-2008, but then was tired of kingpins breaking and axle slipping.

getting the kingpin out and a new one in was also really difficult with these for some reason, i remember i had to go to two shops to get the kingpin remains out of one truck, then broke the other trucks kingpin two days later and had the same problem again which ultimately made me try indys.

i love my ventures, but sometimes i want a truck that gives that low, easy popping feeling, which venture his defs aren't. that's why i kind of want a secondary setup with aces or thunders.
[close]
If you can find some forged baseplates for your ventures they make a world of difference man. Sounds minute but trust me, they have that low easier pop feeling while still feeling like the hi.

Swap out the forged hanger of you V-Lights / V-Hollow with a cast plate from a set up raw / bog standard Ventures. The cast plate extends the WB less than the forged one (+3.25" versus +3.5") and it can a world of difference with pop. Thunders with a Team baseplate (Cast) will pop even lighter and softer.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2020, 09:56:51 AM »
I had a set of ace 44's that had the weirdest defect that even the guys at Ace couldn't answer.

This set of trucks made every deck I set them up on feel soggy. Like you could smack the tail without the trucks on and it would sound normal, but once the trucks were on the wood sounds soggy. Also when doing powerslides with these trucks, it would not screech at all, it would just slide silently, and different wheels and different surfaces would not make a difference. I know it was the trucks because I tried different decks and different wheels and the same thing would happen. I have other sets of aces where this did not happen. Ended up selling them to some craigslist newb. I still have no idea what the issue was about.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2020, 11:17:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Swap out the forged hanger of you V-Lights / V-Hollow with a cast plate from a set up raw / bog standard Ventures. The cast plate extends the WB less than the forged one (+3.25" versus +3.5") and it can a world of difference with pop. Thunders with a Team baseplate (Cast) will pop even lighter and softer.

Cast plates (to me) have a soft/dull pop feel compared to the forged feeling tinnier/harder due to the casting/forging process and end results in rigidity.

Cast Thunders all day tho. Indy Forged all day. Haven't touched Venture Cast tho, but Venture forged, it has to be the hardest feeling grinding/popping truck out (which feels pretty good too).

I had a set of ace 44's that had the weirdest defect that even the guys at Ace couldn't answer.

This set of trucks made every deck I set them up on feel soggy. Like you could smack the tail without the trucks on and it would sound normal, but once the trucks were on the wood sounds soggy. Also when doing powerslides with these trucks, it would not screech at all, it would just slide silently, and different wheels and different surfaces would not make a difference. I know it was the trucks because I tried different decks and different wheels and the same thing would happen. I have other sets of aces where this did not happen. Ended up selling them to some craigslist newb. I still have no idea what the issue was about.

That's honestly how ACE make any setup feel (to me); it's due to the softer metal they use I'd imagine.

The worst is ACE+Built in spacer bearings + BBS wood +99a wheels...dull thud...like it's water logged

The best is DSM wood, forged plates, hard ass wheels and shieldless bearings with a little play

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2020, 03:19:12 PM »

Hmmm I have a set of the green 44's and I just assume that's just how they're?  That's weird but then again I try to look at everything with a positive perspective.  Perhaps it's the trucks vs. the board all I know is I'd rather it'd be the trucks versus the deck.
Dueces Bitch's

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2020, 03:46:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Hmmm I have a set of the green 44's and I just assume that's just how they're?  That's weird but then again I try to look at everything with a positive perspective.  Perhaps it's the trucks vs. the board all I know is I'd rather it'd be the trucks versus the deck.

Maybe this feeling is common for the current 3rd gen Aces can someone confirm? Or perhaps it's just a case of bad QC and I got overly soft trucks?  I have a pair of the 2nd gen 55's raws and the ones I got rid of were 3rd gen 55 purple coping eaters. The 2nd gen ones gave me the usual Ace soggy  pop that was tolerable, but the 3rd gen ones were just like an extremely waterlogged pop. The 2nd gen ones made normal powerslide screech sounds, but the 3rd gen ones were silent. I used the same set of 99a F4's and the same deck to make sure I wasn't crazy. I like my 2nd gen Aces too, I was super bummed when I bit the bullet and bought the purple coping eaters because it made skating feel awkward.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2020, 04:17:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Maybe this feeling is common for the current 3rd gen Aces can someone confirm? Or perhaps it's just a case of bad QC and I got overly soft trucks?  I have a pair of the 2nd gen 55's raws and the ones I got rid of were 3rd gen 55 purple coping eaters. The 2nd gen ones gave me the usual Ace soggy  pop that was tolerable, but the 3rd gen ones were just like an extremely waterlogged pop. The 2nd gen ones made normal powerslide screech sounds, but the 3rd gen ones were silent. I used the same set of 99a F4's and the same deck to make sure I wasn't crazy. I like my 2nd gen Aces too, I was super bummed when I bit the bullet and bought the purple coping eaters because it made skating feel awkward.
I setup my cruiser/vert board with those Grosso Spitfires and they're super nice haven't had any complaints so far. I hope Ace fix their issues soon they make a great trucks but the flaws sketch me out but I guess that's how some shit can be.
Dueces Bitch's

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2020, 07:18:41 AM »
So I've been emailing Jim back and forth about trucks and the tools to use and the Spitfire tool is the answer.

I also asked if they had a stress test with their products and was it with a certain brand of trucks and NO riders choose their sizes from whatever sizes and shapes they already have.  DLXSF really do know their stuff to accommodate for every rider and board templates along with wheelbase.

So in short I think if you are going to get any brand board that is utilized with tons of research and development choose under this umbrella of awesomeness as you won't be disappointed as they know what you and I want.

I did also ask for when they're going to make an Ace equivalent and waiting a response....
Dueces Bitch's

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2020, 09:45:11 AM »
Jim is a INTERnational treasure.

talk about a good customer service

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2020, 10:58:02 AM »
So I've been emailing Jim back and forth about trucks and the tools to use and the Spitfire tool is the answer.

I also asked if they had a stress test with their products and was it with a certain brand of trucks and NO riders choose their sizes from whatever sizes and shapes they already have.  DLXSF really do know their stuff to accommodate for every rider and board templates along with wheelbase.

So in short I think if you are going to get any brand board that is utilized with tons of research and development choose under this umbrella of awesomeness as you won't be disappointed as they know what you and I want.

I did also ask for when they're going to make an Ace equivalent and waiting a response....

So the recommendation for a tool is the tool his company sells. Who would have thought?

Guess what wheel and truck combo he suggests. I'll wait.