Author Topic: Darius King's "Alien Workshop" Part  (Read 6255 times)

Rockin Robbin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 416
Re: Darius King's "Alien Workshop" Part
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2020, 03:18:09 PM »
I like tricks where you have no clue how the skater is gonna land it, and this part was filled with those.
"Bake me a pie of love" - Steve Winwood

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 706
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2020, 03:30:53 PM »
this dude's fits confuse me, is he super short or hella tall?

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2020, 03:37:47 PM »
Darius is pretty cool. I like him a lot more than Frankie Spears anyway.

I have to agree that the music choice has not been great for the last few alien vids. The repetitive noise rock is a little much. I actually don't mind listening to a little experimental noise rock but when it starts to get high pitched and repetitive it can make your head hurt.

I was always one of the ones saying that Alien 2.0 has a lot of potential to be great but I have to admit they haven't done much to impress me so far. I still love skating their decks but I wish they would step it up somehow. I know they downsized to a much smaller operation with the 2.0 launch though. Same for Habitat. I ordered some stuff straight from the Habitat website like 5 months ago and Joe Castrucci handwrote and signed a thank you note on my order ticket. I thought it was pretty sick at first but then I thought about it and it seemed a little sad that Joe was having to round up and ship stuff as well as all the other stuff he does. I guess there just isn't much money from boards nowadays.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »
I really liked the video. Didn’t know who Darius was but stoked on him. I’m also a fan of alien 2.0 my only complaint is I wish they would do more edits. Or more of a video or something. I just want more ha. Also their decks are aces.

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2020, 05:02:56 PM »
It seems like the person who put that together was shown the Alien section from the Cinematographer Project and told to do that again.

It's fine, and I get that there's only so many ways to set skateboarding to music, but it just feels like an unasked-for reboot of something that truly was great. Maybe it's the rose-colored glasses talking, but this makes me want to rewatch the good parts of Mind Field, not buy an Alien 2.0 board.

Loved the skating in this by way. Darius' skating is sick.

Mouth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -297
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2020, 08:02:45 PM »
Solid skating. Shite music.

I miss the days when skating was small enough that videos could get away with using any track they wanted. Discovered most of my favourite music that way.

'No Mouth, you have a negative rep because you are a fan of growing your wealth off of the backs of low paid workers and brag about having bodyguards. You literally kook people for doing charity in South East Asia. Don't deny it.'

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 495
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 02:34:27 AM »
Trim the fat on Habitat, move Yaje and Joey over, then can AWS 2.0 and everyone left on it.  Or send them over to Sovrn, whatever.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2020, 02:47:36 AM »
alien 2.0 is 5 years old already

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2020, 04:11:38 AM »
Weird feeling about Alien Workshop 2.0 but this edit was sick. Beautiful fs 180 heelflips and the fs 360 over the fence was nice. Darius has an exciting style and I really dug the blinking owl.

ricky bobby

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2020, 04:36:36 AM »
Is Max Garson of Workshop? If so i'd be excited to see who picks him up

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2020, 06:27:12 AM »
Song wasn't nearly as bad as you all were making it out to be. I did watch it on my TV though and could see it sounding like shit through a phone or laptop speaker. I'm still optimistic about the new alien, I'm not expecting mindfield 2 but I want to see more edits. Torn on this guy but at least his style is something different.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2020, 06:55:05 AM »
I'm sure this is when most relationships decide to break up. I want joint custody of the kids (boards), but I'm going to tell them you were the shitty parent who fucked this up after our trial separation.

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2020, 10:32:56 AM »
Darius kills it. Those fs heelflips and the kickflip over the parking blocks stood out most to me. Great to see him get his official introduction after already being on the team for so long. Brandon's fence hop was really cool too.

I back the current Alien Workshop. My only complaint is that they're not doing enough to promote/put stuff out of their team. All of these guys are skating and producing constantly, but it feels like the company has not been fully utilizing this. Also they shouldn't have let Max Garson go. That dude is dope.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 10:54:54 AM by Sidewalk Funk. »

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2020, 10:39:59 AM »
Is Max Garson of Workshop? If so i'd be excited to see who picks him up

maybe wilhemina or IMG
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2020, 11:02:45 AM »
Max does not skate that much anymore, moved back home too, and works in a restaurant.

That being said. I only fucked with AWS for boards my WHOLE life. I loved it to death....

These days I don’t really care anymore, the graphics are ‘ok’ and so is the team.

This part was cool though, very “workshop-ish“ imo.

I feel the same way about AWS 2.0 like I do about my ex. In her prime she was hot as hell, and I was head over heels about her.

Now she got thicker, older and she’s still alright... but I could never feel the same about her like I did back then.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2197
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2020, 12:21:58 PM »
just realized this - do short people wear highwaters to give the impression that they're taller than they really are?

like gilbert, elijah, others.
[/quote]

Ed Templeton is only like 5'8".

Reed Richards

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »
I enjoyed this one, glad Darius finally got on.
But seriously, are we gonna have the old Alien vs. New Alien debates every time someone from New Alien does anything?

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2020, 04:09:39 PM »
But seriously, are we gonna have the old Alien vs. New Alien debates every time someone from New Alien does anything?
Probably. Alien 2.0 will always live in the shadows of nostalgia. Like others said, just wish whoever runs it made an effort to promote better. Shit, I will promote it if they just tell me what to do

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2020, 07:52:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Probably. Alien 2.0 will always live in the shadows of nostalgia. Like others said, just wish whoever runs it made an effort to promote better. Shit, I will promote it if they just tell me what to do
The thing is Quasi is doing a better job of being AWS. If Alien 2.0 is going to continue to falter, then by all means, take their younger, hotter sister out.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2020, 11:14:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm sure this is when most relationships decide to break up. I want joint custody of the kids (boards), but I'm going to tell them you were the shitty parent who fucked this up after our trial separation.
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
The thing is Quasi is doing a better job of being AWS. If Alien 2.0 is going to continue to falter, then by all means, take their younger, hotter sister out.

so ditch ye wife for her younger sister? how's that's gonna go over with the kids (boards)? or their parents (whoever those might be in this analogy)?

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2020, 04:43:56 AM »
Polygamy? Or abandonment?

I'd probably abandon the relationship and only visit the kids occasionally.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2020, 08:35:27 AM »
so ditch ye wife for her younger sister?

Yes.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2020, 08:53:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Ditto Hockey and even Bronze.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

somedudefromnj

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 66
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 08:26:32 AM »
whos the dude at 1:05 hoppin the bar?

edit:

is it Guevara?

Lol. Eldee is definitely a human. He’s like a raider on horse back who’s kinda scared to do battle. Somehow he closes his eyes and swings his sword wildly and wakes up in a pile of dead orcs.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2020, 05:41:10 PM »
The thing about AWS 2.0 is, the team feels more like  'brand ambassadors' to me, as opposed to an actual team that gets out there together. Do you think they have all met each other or been in the van together? I doubt it.

ricky bobby

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2020, 06:03:50 PM »
Max does not skate that much anymore, moved back home too, and works in a restaurant.

That being said. I only fucked with AWS for boards my WHOLE life. I loved it to death....

These days I don’t really care anymore, the graphics are ‘ok’ and so is the team.

This part was cool though, very “workshop-ish“ imo.

I feel the same way about AWS 2.0 like I do about my ex. In her prime she was hot as hell, and I was head over heels about her.

Now she got thicker, older and she’s still alright... but I could never feel the same about her like I did back then.
Damn thats a bummer that he's not skating much right now. I always really liked both his and Will's styles. Would've liked to see Max maybe get Frog or even Glue boards via the Stephen Ostrowski link

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2020, 07:37:46 PM »
The thing about AWS 2.0 is, the team feels more like  'brand ambassadors' to me, as opposed to an actual team that gets out there together. Do you think they have all met each other or been in the van together? I doubt it.

Yeah they do. One of their first edits back was them driving around in Honda elements camping.

Also yaje and franky post eachother all the time along with suici

Sidewalk Funk.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2020, 10:52:41 AM »
Do you think they have all met each other or been in the van together? I doubt it.

Couldn't be further from the truth actually. In the pre-Corona days they were regularly doing lots of trips together, driving across the country together, staying at each others houses, etc.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2020, 11:42:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Do you think they have all met each other or been in the van together? I doubt it.
[close]

Couldn't be further from the truth actually. In the pre-Corona days they were regularly doing lots of trips together, driving across the country together, staying at each others houses, etc.

Y’all think Heath, Kalis, Tyler Bledsoe, and Mikey Taylor were kicking it regularly?

People reach so hard to hate on Alien, it’s such a boring take. It’s been five years: owned by Mike Hill, back in Ohio, ill art direction, great boards, tight/small team, regularly releasing videos. Just shut the fuck up already.  ::)
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2020, 07:20:12 AM »
Whoever chose that music is a fucking asshole, holy shit.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.