Author Topic: The new Dune trailer  (Read 865 times)

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
The new Dune trailer
« on: September 14, 2020, 02:21:57 PM »
https://youtu.be/x-c3-XZXqto

Anyone else dying to see this?

I'm 2/3 of the way through children of dune rn and I'm really hoping if this movie does well the whole series will get the treatment it so rightly deserves.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: The new Dune trailer
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 08:26:45 PM »
I mean, I can’t NOT see it, so...

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

TheLurper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:35:29 PM »
Wow, I'm surprised this looks good and it was green lit after the first Dune movie.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Level 60 Dwarf Rogue

• Rep: -64
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 09:45:40 PM »
Yea, I’m excited. I can’t stand the slowed, dramatic covers they use in every freaking movie trailer though. Eclipse is perfect, leave it be.

JB77

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 03:16:12 AM »
Thought Chris Pastras was dropping a new part. Disappointed.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 03:35:59 AM »
I always thought it would be good as a hbo series like game of thrones or something
listen to cosmic psychos

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 04:21:10 AM »
I really liked Blade Runner 2049 so I'm allowing myself to be hopeful about Dune and grateful Jared Leto isn't cast as Duke Leto. I heard it's going to be 2 films spaced about a year apart.

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 685
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 04:23:25 AM »
Super pumped. Made my son watch the trailer with me and he is on the hook now for seeing it with me if theaters are ever a thing again (I think he's in it for Zendaya mostly).

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 05:23:15 AM »
I really liked Blade Runner 2049 so I'm allowing myself to be hopeful about Dune and grateful Jared Leto isn't cast as Duke Leto. ...

I really liked blade runner and have same director has me so hyped. David Lynch’s version was so good because the creepy atmosphere and this director definitely does atmosphere well.

Showed wife and kids the trailer and we are all hyped to check it out

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 05:32:15 AM »
I think it looks stunning but I can't help think that we're about to witness the next "Battlefield Earth".
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 08:11:51 AM »
I think it looks stunning but I can't help think that we're about to witness the next "Battlefield Earth".

Considering the cast is amazing, the director is amazing, the source material is amazing, the composer is amazing....I highly doubt that.  The only question is, will people want to see this? because either way, its going to be damn good. lets just hope it makes enough to warrant the 2 other sequels Denis has planned and scripted.

also side note but i bet 20 bucks they move this to next summer due to covid

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 08:38:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Considering the cast is amazing, the director is amazing, the source material is amazing, the composer is amazing....I highly doubt that.  The only question is, will people want to see this? because either way, its going to be damn good. lets just hope it makes enough to warrant the 2 other sequels Denis has planned and scripted.

also side note but i bet 20 bucks they move this to next summer due to covid

Oh the cast, director, source material is insane and if anyone can pull it off Villeneuve can.

My main issue is your second point, will anyone watch it?
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 10:20:30 AM »
Definitely looks amazing. I’m binging Wheel of Time on audible right now before the (not too promising looking) show comes out but something about that line, “fear is the mind killer” makes me wanna squeeze Dune in. Anyone read the book/audiobook?

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 10:30:14 AM »
It looks like Feyd is going to be some kind of stunt casting. They’re keeping a tight lid on things.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 10:32:17 AM »
It looks like Feyd is going to be some kind of stunt casting. They’re keeping a tight lid on things.

apparently part 2 is where he comes in big time

weon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
  • todo gratis todo gay
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 10:34:54 AM »
y’all seen the doc Jodorowski’s Dune? Dune’s potential as a movie/series is insane imo, hopefully this is miles away from the first movie.
Lil' Wayne is more core than Jaden Smith.
Damn. Chico of Chocolate now Pyramids of Giza. What the hell is going on?

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 10:56:38 AM »
Having spent much of my education and career working on/studying water supply and water rights issues, this book/series is a pretty frequent re-read for me. So many great themes that are still so relevant today - both on the environmental side and on imperial society and the eventual decline/fall of empires.

Excited to see this take on it, I’m not very critical when it comes to film adaptations or movies as a whole, so that trailer and cast got me stoked. Short of Paul Atreides turning to camera and saying “That spice has gotta flow, baby”, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it just based on familiar characters and the setting alone.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 11:35:43 PM »
Denis Villeneuve is physically incapable of making a bad film let alone an average film. I hate to put absurdly high expectations on an unreleased movie but I have 0 doubt that this will go down as one of the greatest and most significant sci-fi extravaganzas in the history of cinema. I would have loved to see Jodorowsky's version but also at the very top of that list is Villeneuve.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 07:57:34 PM »
Denis Villeneuve is physically incapable of making a bad film let alone an average film. I hate to put absurdly high expectations on an unreleased movie but I have 0 doubt that this will go down as one of the greatest and most significant sci-fi extravaganzas in the history of cinema. I would have loved to see Jodorowsky's version but also at the very top of that list is Villeneuve.

“I saw the trailer. It’s very well done,” Jodorowsky said. “We can see that it is industrial cinema, that there is a lot of money, and that it was very expensive. But if it was very expensive, it must pay in proportion. And that is the problem: There [are] no surprises. The form is identical to what is done everywhere. The lighting, the acting, everything is predictable.”

Jodorowsky continued, “Industrial cinema is incompatible with auteur cinema. For the former, money comes before. For the second, it’s the opposite, whatever the quality of a director, whether my friend Nicolas Winding Refn or Denis Villeneuve. Industrial cinema promotes entertainment, it is a show that is not intended to change humanity or society.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/jodorowsky-reviews-villeneuve-dune-trailer-predictable-1234586462/?fbclid=IwAR3MUXgIIb-v5g-0t9isTL7PMxq8uHII-KOeOrwy2oDHPj5DlVf1ODSrfs4

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2020, 02:14:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

“I saw the trailer. It’s very well done,” Jodorowsky said. “We can see that it is industrial cinema, that there is a lot of money, and that it was very expensive. But if it was very expensive, it must pay in proportion. And that is the problem: There [are] no surprises. The form is identical to what is done everywhere. The lighting, the acting, everything is predictable.”

Jodorowsky continued, “Industrial cinema is incompatible with auteur cinema. For the former, money comes before. For the second, it’s the opposite, whatever the quality of a director, whether my friend Nicolas Winding Refn or Denis Villeneuve. Industrial cinema promotes entertainment, it is a show that is not intended to change humanity or society.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/09/jodorowsky-reviews-villeneuve-dune-trailer-predictable-1234586462/?fbclid=IwAR3MUXgIIb-v5g-0t9isTL7PMxq8uHII-KOeOrwy2oDHPj5DlVf1ODSrfs4

I fucking love jodorowsky, but this bummed me out. Yeah of course it's going to be predicable, it's based on a fucking book. History has shown us taking creative liberty with said book series turns out like dog shit. Santa Sangre and el topo are all time favorites of mine, but this is a lame argument from a dude who didn't even read dune when denis has read the whole series.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2020, 03:09:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I fucking love jodorowsky, but this bummed me out. Yeah of course it's going to be predicable, it's based on a fucking book. History has shown us taking creative liberty with said book series turns out like dog shit. Santa Sangre and el topo are all time favorites of mine, but this is a lame argument from a dude who didn't even read dune when denis has read the whole series.

Yeah, this bummed me out to read too. Jodorowsky really is is the Bobby Puelo of filmmaking. Undeniable legacy within the core underground scene but overly pretentious to a fault. Critics said the same thing when Villeneuve took on the Blade Runner source material and he proved everyone wrong and absolutely crushed it with Blade Runner 2049. I sense a bit of bitterness from Jodorowsky because industrial cinema didn't want to produce his 14-hour long epic. He says that "industrial cinema is incompatible with auteur cinema" yet Villeneuve most certainly is an auteur director in his own regard. Oh well, I really respect them both and hope Villeneuve shuts every doubter up with his vision. 

rupertspupkin

• Rep: 11
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 01:53:01 AM »
Yo this looks like big doodoo

funeral_tuxedo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1137
  • old and in the way
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 08:57:38 AM »
Thug Notes analysis touches on some heavy aspects of Frank Herbert's Dune that the David Lynch film missed/bypassed and I'm hoping that Denis Villenueve's version examines:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxq2ztkE0eE

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 05:12:02 AM »

I'm 2/3 of the way through children of dune rn and I'm really hoping if this movie does well the whole series will get the treatment it so rightly deserves.
I’ve never read the books but there’s a dude I know who is probably the biggest Dune fan of all time, and he said that from the trailer it looks like it’s going to be fucking incredible and way better than David Lynch‘s piece of shit dune because it’s actually going to be true to the book.

He said he was nervous as hell As to whether or not Paul was going to be well acted and he said that the actor portrays him perfectly in the trailer.

4LOM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 05:27:40 AM »
Like Blade Runner 2049, it’s going to be an amazing film that barely breaks even, killing all franchise hopes

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2020, 12:43:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I’ve never read the books but there’s a dude I know who is probably the biggest Dune fan of all time, and he said that from the trailer it looks like it’s going to be fucking incredible and way better than David Lynch‘s piece of shit dune because it’s actually going to be true to the book.

He said he was nervous as hell As to whether or not Paul was going to be well acted and he said that the actor portrays him perfectly in the trailer.

Here is something I read on the ol' IMDB trivia page for Dune (2020):

"Adapting Dune (2020) for the big screen has been a lifelong dream of Denis Villeneuve, ever since he read Frank Herbert's novel when he was around twelve years old. He wanted to make a faithful adaptation, so he waited until he'd done sci-fi films Arrival (2016) and Blade Runner 2049 (2017) first so that he would have sufficient experience in the genre before starting work on Dune. In fact, scenes from his prior films are strongly influenced by his interpretations of scenes from the novel."

No doubt in my mind that this will be Villeneuve's magnum opus.

aLEXICONdEVIL

• Rep: 6
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2020, 05:42:32 PM »
Surprised they cast Kyle Walker as Paul

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1536
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2020, 05:54:45 PM »
I am looking forward to this movie and will be revisiting the past to re-enjoy the prior.

Did anyone play "Dune" the game religiously? I heard it was the precursor to StarCraft.  There may have been multiple iterations of Dune the game so forgive me for my ignorance.

If anyone has played it/them, is it worth playing now? I played SC2 religiously a few years ago (shout out Beer Keg and Rawbertson).  SC1 is not worth playing in my opinion because of SC2 but thought I would ask anyway.
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate