Author Topic: Luigi of nike  (Read 6282 times)

duniwayRobber

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -140
  • ?
Re: Luigi of nike
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »
Gino is literally the only reason SB exists. He completely legitimized Nike in skating.

Nah, that was Paul Rodriguez, at least from my view.

Gino was an old guy even back in the early 00's, same with Reese, Shimizu and Supa. Seemed that the established heads on the team were just there for some quick retirement cash while anyone 'new-age' (Hassler, Omar) were more niche-fillers than universally adored.

Paul was in his prime and indisputably killing it when he quit e's for SB and came out with that frontside flip ad for his first shoe. He brought an entire generation of consumers to the game. I have loved Gino's footage over the years but his nonchalant footage-ghosting has actually spurred me away from financially supporting brands that associate with him.

Give cash to somebody who doesn't do their job? I'm okay on that.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 12:34:22 PM by duniwayRobber »
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2020, 12:08:35 PM »
Fucking video was like a Vans surf video with even less actual time on a board.

https://youtu.be/vyVLEM81k7E

Is this what australia's like? i want in
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2020, 12:13:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Gino is literally the only reason SB exists. He completely legitimized Nike in skating.
[close]

Gino was an old guy even back in the early 00's, same with Reese, Shimtzu and Supa. Seemed that the established heads on the team were just there for some quick retirement cash while anyone 'new-age' (Hassler, Omar) were more niche-fillers than universally adored.

Paul was in his prime and indisputably killing it when he quit e's for SB and came out with that frontside flip ad for his first shoe. He brought an entire generation of consumers to the game. I have loved Gino's footage over the years but his nonchalant footage-ghosting has actually spurred me away from financially supporting brands that associate with him.

It's interesting that the P-Rod shoes blew, the Kostons blew, and Nyjah's shoe blows, too. These were all supposed to be heavy hitters, but the Janoskis and dunks still do better (I think, could be wrong).

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2020, 12:15:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Gino was an old guy even back in the early 00's, same with Reese, Shimtzu and Supa. Seemed that the established heads on the team were just there for some quick retirement cash while anyone 'new-age' (Hassler, Omar) were more niche-fillers than universally adored.

[close]

It's interesting that the P-Rod shoes blew, the Kostons blew, and Nyjah's shoe blows, too. These were all supposed to be heavy hitters, but the Janoskis and dunks still do better (I think, could be wrong).
I wanted those Shimizu dunks so bad when I was a teen.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65249
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2020, 12:23:37 PM »
who would have thought not doing shit for 15 years would catch up to him

This. I can't believe people get paid I assume at least 100K a year and then film maybe 5 tricks in 5 years. Or so stupid to get paid for doing nothing and then wear another shoes from a another company.

BTW, Nike SB why are you fucking up perfectly good photos?

Nike SB site:

Original:

BALAKOV

• Rep: 17
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2020, 01:14:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Latest insta edit has him in adidas. On that dill hookup? End of an era? Part of latest nike dump?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKVjA_D7Pc/?hl=en
[close]

Damn, now we’re just watching clips of him on a nature hike?

I'd rather watch Gino walk

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2020, 02:12:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gino was an old guy even back in the early 00's, same with Reese, Shimizu and Supa. Seemed that the established heads on the team were just there for some quick retirement cash while anyone 'new-age' (Hassler, Omar) were more niche-fillers than universally adored.

I agree with what you’re saying but Gino is who made it not only acceptable, but cool to ride for Nike. P-Rod was the second generation and pushed Nike into the status they set out for, but Gino is who made that possible. Why do you think he is still getting paid by them? Nike knew what they were doing when they put him on the team; he’s their golden child.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

kook1234

• Rep: 132
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2020, 02:47:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I agree with what you’re saying but Gino is who made it not only acceptable, but cool to ride for Nike. P-Rod was the second generation and pushed Nike into the status they set out for, but Gino is who made that possible. Why do you think he is still getting paid by them? Nike knew what they were doing when they put him on the team; he’s their golden child.
This. Nike's whole approach to skating only worked because they had such a respected team (and only sold to real skate shops). Nike wouldn't have prospered to the level of scooping up P-Rod without the legitimization brought by the first gen.

The Mess

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 100
  • please don't kill me jesse.
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2020, 03:31:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
This. Nike's whole approach to skating only worked because they had such a respected team (and only sold to real skate shops). Nike wouldn't have prospered to the level of scooping up P-Rod without the legitimization brought by the first gen.

Was going to chime in to say the same. Gino was the key 100%. He was the one that tipped the scales. Prod and all that would never have happened without that first successful group of Gino, Reese, Supa, Mulder, etc... and the more simple dunk color ways/understated ads. Prod would later be their mass market vehicle. But they needed Gino first to get the nod from the niche/cool guys.
i have nothing to fear but jesse himself.

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2020, 03:49:38 PM »
Gino and P-Rod accomplished different things for Nike. P-Rod gave them their golden child who was mainstream, winning contests, and putting out quality content. Gino, and later guys like BA and Stefan legitimized them to older skaters.That combined with SB's policies early on bringing in good money to skateshops (by giving them exclusive limited releases that brought in hypebeasts) was huge.

The big thing for Nike in the end though was having a massive and high-quality flow program, where they locked up young talents who became huge industry names at a young age like GT, Ishod, and Shane. They have 3 of the most popular skaters in the world who they've been flowing since like 16 or younger. When they ask pros on The Bunt who the "best skater on planet earth is" it seems one of those 3 is the answer 80% of the time.

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2020, 03:59:56 PM »
P Rod is so strange to me.... can't name a part of his, can't name a moment or trick that went down.... it's like he never happened yet he's s star?

I'd rather watch any Ethan Fowler part than anything from P-Rod's career.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2020, 04:24:52 PM »
P Rod is so strange to me.... can't name a part of his, can't name a moment or trick that went down.... it's like he never happened yet he's s star?

I'd rather watch any Ethan Fowler part Gino walk for 15 seconds on Instagram than anything from P-Rod's career.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2020, 04:46:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nah, I get that this seems on the surface to be correct, but it really was Gino and the original four (Gino, Reese, Mulder, Supa) that did it. At the time, Nike hired away key people from TWS and other folks to come in and really have the brand immediately hit as something exclusive and cool.

The first thing they had to do was get the core buy-in. At the time, 2002-2005ish, you'd see the occasional photo or footage of a pro riding dunks or wearing Nike casuals, even though they had another shoe sponsor. Nike was smart. They convinced the core first that they were doing this right and legit, part of it through reminding people how great Jordans were for skating etc by basically making the new dunks in their effigy and doing the whole collaboration/limited colorways, etc. That first team and the first ads and the core mystique they started building was the entree to the rest. They had to establish they were serious about skateboarding after their first attempt.

We can argue all day about whether or not Nike is good for skating, but they accomplished all of their goals, I imagine, including the hardest one- maintaining relevance.
ok thanks

Nicki

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2020, 04:54:03 PM »
Expand Quote

I'd rather watch any Ethan Fowler part Gino walk for 15 seconds on Instagram than anything from P-Rod's career.
[close]

Hahaha - this is totally true. Poets stuff looks great too. Anyone know if it’s made in USA?

conqueso

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2020, 05:02:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Latest insta edit has him in adidas. On that dill hookup? End of an era? Part of latest nike dump?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFKVjA_D7Pc/?hl=en
[close]

Damn, now we’re just watching clips of him on a nature hike?
[close]

I'd rather watch Gino walk

like a troll that finally crawled from out under a bridge.
giving us a glimpse into his natural habitat.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2020, 05:03:12 PM »
P-Rod was Nike’s first athletic/athlete skater.

Very good call about the flow program, re: Ishod/Grant etc.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

duniwayRobber

• ?
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2020, 05:44:49 PM »
I totally agree with the comments about what Gino, Mulder etc. did in laying the groundwork (although their late-career money-grabbing still holds plausibly true) and agree even more so about the effects of the flow program/core-coercion.

I don't agree with Gino making the brand what it is today. He may of helped legitimized it and has earned a finders-fee paycheck for attracting the next-gen, but they were the ones who have pushed it into the mammoth it is. Past laurels don't go very far in skateboarding, Lakai being a contextual example.

Or am I missing (another) obvious point?

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 05:51:40 PM by duniwayRobber »

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2020, 06:01:47 PM »
P-Rod was Nike’s first athletic/athlete skater.

Very good call about the flow program, re: Ishod/Grant etc.
I feel Adidas has better branding in their skating department (it doesn't seem as superteam/contest feel), but compared to Nike it seems they never find their own talent. Seems pretty much everyone they have who is marketable and younger they poached from elsewhere (Tyshawn-Emerica flow), Nakel (Lakai), Miles Silvas (Lakai), Suciu (Etnies, then Habitat Shoes), etc. Not that Nike doesn't poach riders like crazy too, but it seems they've done a great job flowing kids and identifying the top ones. Not sure who deserves credit for this, as guys like Grant, Ishod, and Shane pre-date Scuba. Vans has also done a strong job in this regard (Rowen, Elijah, Kyle Walker, Chima). Cons is another brand who seems like they just poach.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2020, 06:02:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nah, I get that this seems on the surface to be correct, but it really was Gino and the original four (Gino, Reese, Mulder, Supa) that did it. At the time, Nike hired away key people from TWS and other folks to come in and really have the brand immediately hit as something exclusive and cool.

The first thing they had to do was get the core buy-in. At the time, 2002-2005ish, you'd see the occasional photo or footage of a pro riding dunks or wearing Nike casuals, even though they had another shoe sponsor. Nike was smart. They convinced the core first that they were doing this right and legit, part of it through reminding people how great Jordans were for skating etc by basically making the new dunks in their effigy and doing the whole collaboration/limited colorways, etc. That first team and the first ads and the core mystique they started building was the entree to the rest. They had to establish they were serious about skateboarding after their first attempt.

We can argue all day about whether or not Nike is good for skating, but they accomplished all of their goals, I imagine, including the hardest one- maintaining relevance.
I hate that you are fucking correct.  I also love how they tried to double dip with Nike 6.0 to chain stores and less cool skate/snow shops

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2020, 06:06:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Hahaha - this is totally true. Poets stuff looks great too. Anyone know if it’s made in USA?
R U maga?

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2020, 02:42:10 AM »
DID - Not does, Gino have good style? Yes.
Is he the legend some people make him out to be? Hard no.

Like someone said earlier, I’d go out of my way to not support anything he puts his name to. I was going to use an example from his EL about how ridiculous he came across bitching about people’s expectations about an upcoming video part (it was literally your job to skateboard) but then I realised that even that is probably over ten fucking years old.

Anyone defending Gino as a pro is absolutely out of their minds

veritas

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2020, 04:49:26 AM »
I totally agree with the comments about what Gino, Mulder etc. did in laying the groundwork (although their late-career money-grabbing still holds plausibly true) and agree even more so about the effects of the flow program/core-coercion.

I don't agree with Gino making the brand what it is today. He may of helped legitimized it and has earned a finders-fee paycheck for attracting the next-gen, but they were the ones who have pushed it into the mammoth it is. Past laurels don't go very far in skateboarding, Lakai being a contextual example.

Or am I missing (another) obvious point?

I think its less about what he produces footage wise and more about what kind of numbers his shit sells (like Cab). They've given him multiple shoes over the past few years that seem to sell pretty fast, even those funky looking ones that came out recently.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2020, 05:50:53 AM »
All this talk about the old Nike made me remember how fucking good Nike was at one point. Now I wont touch an SB (besides the dunk) with a tweezer but that old team, the ads and the product when they started out was so good.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2020, 06:34:30 AM »

I'd rather watch any Ethan Fowler part than anything from P-Rod's career.

I think that's due to the amount of footage and coverage Prod got and still gets over the course of 20 years. Kind of the opposite of Gino.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2020, 06:52:55 AM »

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2020, 07:22:42 AM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0jsR1XF0W7/

All that was going trough my mind was how you all forgot about Todd Jordan in the first Nike team.

Thanks honey.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

duniwayRobber

• ?
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2020, 09:24:40 AM »
I think its less about what he produces footage wise and more about what kind of numbers his shit sells (like Cab). They've given him multiple shoes over the past few years that seem to sell pretty fast, even those funky looking ones that came out recently.

Have any of his colorways received a second run? If his drops sell so well why doesn't he have a pro shoe (like Cab)? Comparing him to Cab seems a bit off, since Steve has continued to shred and be visually involved for the past 40 fucking years.

I'll state again for the true anonymous shit-posters, MODS, so perhaps I'm not dinged another rep - I like Gino, just having a valid disagreement here.

^^Good call on Todd Jordan, always liked his flow.^^

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2020, 11:27:18 AM »
Jordan wasnt in the "first four though" I dont think? He came in when Wieger did if memory serves?

As far as Gino. Look, if you were skating in 2002, its the same as now where you are literally clutching your chest and gasping when any Gino drops footage.

Agree with the sentiment that he launched what is now NikeSB, but they didnt wield almighty power until long after his true relevance had passed.

Yall may not be able to comprehend how much anticipation there was for Gino in Yeah Right...no one knew what kind of part he'd have except people close to the Crail camp. The premiere was a full-blown freakout over that and that Guy only had one trick.

This shit is nearly 20 years old and we're still talking about Gino drops. Its really wild when you think about it.
ok thanks

Junglist

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »
What the fuck is this recent Gino shoe you are all talking about? His dunk high from like 2016/2017?

Bobbybanana

• Rep: 11
« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2020, 11:52:01 AM »
Gino is the boards of Canada of skateboarding
Hangin' with a cool bunch