Author Topic: Leo Baker New Brand Glue with Cher Straub  (Read 15997 times)

Dwyck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
Re: Leo Baker New Brand Glue with Cher Straub
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2020, 12:18:20 PM »
put ostrowski's name on a board please! i want to ride it
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2150
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2020, 12:50:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
As said, the brand was officially announced in the latest Thrasher. The interview with Cher, Leo, and Stephen is a great read. They touch on the roots of the brand, discuss the lack of support throughout the industry for LGBTQ skateboarders, praise Arin, call out Jamie Thomas for totally failing Marisa Dal Santo, and much more. Definitely worth getting your hands on.

Glue is gonna be huge, and I can't wait to see what comes of it.
[close]

Anyone have a scan for the article or can helpfully summarize the situation?
[close]

Don't know what the new article says but Marissa herself outlined it pretty clearly in the past - Jamie pushed her to skate on a professional level and she didn't like the pressure. She didn't agree with/understand re-filming tricks and preferred her previous life as a contest skater. Props to her for doing things how she wanted but if Jamie never pushed her to skate on a higher level none of us would have ever heard of her, for real.
...Not possible for her to have realized her potential on her own?
Nice of ol’ JT to offer encouragement, but all credit for her abilities goes to her.
I mean, I’m not blaming my homies for the fact that I suck, just because my friends didn’t push me to try harder. Being a wuss is on me. Being a badass skater? That’s on Marissa. At least, that’s my take, but I see your point.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

CanadianBacon

• Rep: -70
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2020, 01:57:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
As said, the brand was officially announced in the latest Thrasher. The interview with Cher, Leo, and Stephen is a great read. They touch on the roots of the brand, discuss the lack of support throughout the industry for LGBTQ skateboarders, praise Arin, call out Jamie Thomas for totally failing Marisa Dal Santo, and much more. Definitely worth getting your hands on.

[close]

[close]

Don't know what the new article says but Marissa herself outlined it pretty clearly in the past - Jamie pushed her to skate on a professional level and she didn't like the pressure. She didn't agree with/understand re-filming tricks and preferred her previous life as a contest skater. Props to her for doing things how she wanted but if Jamie never pushed her to skate on a higher level none of us would have ever heard of her, for real.
[close]
Nice of ol’ JT to offer encouragement, but all credit for her abilities goes to her.
I mean, I’m not blaming my homies for the fact that I suck, just because my friends didn’t push me to try harder. Being a wuss is on me. Being a badass skater? That’s on Marissa. At least, that’s my take, but I see your point.
JT has had Elissas back too.  Maybe he pushes too hard, but Jamie seems like an ali to the female skate scene.

Glurmpz

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2020, 02:08:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm just going by her own words. She explicitly said she didn't like the push to skate gnarly stuff, so it's safe to assume if Jamie didn't push her like he pushes everyone she probably would have stuck to contests and possibly never even had a video part. The only other part I've seen from her since is nowhere near the level she used to skate at, and definitely would not have resulted in the same legacy she left with her Zero part. The whole reason people talk about her is because she stepped up to some decent sized rails and gaps, and that was for sure because of Jamie. She definitely gets 100% of the credit for her skills, but she wouldn't have been the same skater without Jamie, as she clearly stated.   

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 02:14:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
JT has had Elissas back too.  Maybe he pushes too hard, but Jamie seems like an ali to the female skate scene.

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 239
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 03:39:28 PM »
great interview, great people, excited to see where this goes

theloniousmonk

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2020, 03:58:27 PM »
I think Leo skated a short wheelbase, like 13.75 or so. They could really differentiate themselves if they produced that on boards around 8.25 or 8.5. I would try one, and I’m sure it would be a good size for a lot of people

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2020, 04:10:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Apparently all decks will be made from recycled racehorses
[close]

i heard they're made from mikey taylor.

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2020, 04:39:53 PM »
I'm pretty sure Marisa turned down an offer to go pro for Zero, although there might be more to the story that's not in this interview

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/12/05/happened-marisa-dal-santo/

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2020, 05:00:46 PM »
irrespective of all the ins-and-outs on Marisa's career, make no mistake that The Chief always had womens backs in skating. There just frankly wasnt that many that good penetrate the industry, but he was (and probably still is?) a big Elissa booster and I think it was a legit push for more gender equity and honestly, women make up a massive part of the population that essentially represented a fuckton of missed business opportunity.

Now in 2020 Lowcard's IG has more clips of women than men. Elissa did a lot of that work, and had a lot of support from Tum Yeto at the time.
ok thanks

Nicki

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2020, 07:02:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I'm just going by her own words. She explicitly said she didn't like the push to skate gnarly stuff, so it's safe to assume if Jamie didn't push her like he pushes everyone she probably would have stuck to contests and possibly never even had a video part. The only other part I've seen from her since is nowhere near the level she used to skate at, and definitely would not have resulted in the same legacy she left with her Zero part. The whole reason people talk about her is because she stepped up to some decent sized rails and gaps, and that was for sure because of Jamie. She definitely gets 100% of the credit for her skills, but she wouldn't have been the same skater without Jamie, as she clearly stated.   

Agree. Looking at 2009 through the lens of 2020 just doesn’t work, times have changed. It doesn’t make sense in the interview to rave about Marisa’s Strange World part but then shit on Jamie - without Jamie pushing (ie being The Chief) and backing, that part never happens. So 2009 Strangeworld Zero has Marisa and Elissa, while the entire rest of the industry couldn’t give a shit about women/diversity.....but it’s Jamie that failed women in skating. Good one, dopey.

Also; (from article) “I wanted to do this new brand because there’s basically no real queer representation in skateboarding”.....really??? Hey, it’s all good, new brands are great, and Leo wants a platform now Meow has been dumped, but let’s not pretend. Glue is joining the scene not starting it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B92V6CBpStG/?igshid=1rm1rtnpwoh2k

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDCE0fxFPSV/?igshid=1ru7d1zsas046

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFDgblZlSje/?igshid=vit3a79mxy2v

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0RaDyzIiFA/?igshid=1qkdrsivtaanm

« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 08:04:43 PM by Nicki »

baggy spandex

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2020, 10:06:39 PM »

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2020, 10:29:35 PM »
Ace trucks, spitfire wheels new board.  Just throw in some Swiss and we have great times.   Of course not backing the swoosh.  I wish this brand all the best.
Seriously, fuck Nike though

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2020, 04:37:02 AM »
Ace trucks, spitfire wheels new board.  Just throw in some Swiss and we have great times.   Of course not backing the swoosh.  I wish this brand all the best.

you know it is just another nike skateboards right?
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

BroBruhBra

• Rep: -20
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2020, 05:40:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

you know it is just another nike skateboards right?

Is Numbers still happening? If so someone needs to free Durao. That dude is too good. Even Silvas knew better, and that dude is soulless.

Spacetravelisboring

• Rep: -422
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2020, 05:51:04 AM »

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2020, 06:31:30 AM »
2 things:

1. Marissa's part was in Strange World, which also featured Elissa's return to Zero and the "pro ranks" which is probably why Jamie didn't turn her pro right away ( has any team ever had more than 1 female pro? )

2. Is glue trough DLX? With the Spitfire connection and Jim backing Cher a lot I could see it.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2020, 06:38:32 AM »
Am I correct in assuming Stephen designed some of the boards for Bianca/917?

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2020, 07:00:33 AM »
How Marisa didn’t go pro midway through that part is insane. That’s the part I wanted to see most in that video.

Think of it this way - now that that part is on YouTube, kids can see it, get stoked on Zero because of Marisa’s part, and buy a zero board even though she no longer rides for zero. That’s shitty. She was on for that part, used up as a resource, and then dropped.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2020, 07:02:15 AM »
How Marisa didn’t go pro midway through that part is insane. That’s the part I wanted to see most in that video.

Think of it this way - now that that part is on YouTube, kids can see it, get stoked on Zero because of Marisa’s part, and buy a zero board even though she no longer rides for zero. That’s shitty. She was on for that part, used up as a resource, and then dropped.

you are easily one of the most reaching-est posters on here

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2020, 07:05:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Agree. Looking at 2009 through the lens of 2020 just doesn’t work, times have changed. It doesn’t make sense in the interview to rave about Marisa’s Strange World part but then shit on Jamie - without Jamie pushing (ie being The Chief) and backing, that part never happens. So 2009 Strangeworld Zero has Marisa and Elissa, while the entire rest of the industry couldn’t give a shit about women/diversity.....but it’s Jamie that failed women in skating. Good one, dopey.

Also; (from article) “I wanted to do this new brand because there’s basically no real queer representation in skateboarding”.....really??? Hey, it’s all good, new brands are great, and Leo wants a platform now Meow has been dumped, but let’s not pretend. Glue is joining the scene not starting it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B92V6CBpStG/?igshid=1rm1rtnpwoh2k

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDCE0fxFPSV/?igshid=1ru7d1zsas046

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFDgblZlSje/?igshid=vit3a79mxy2v

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0RaDyzIiFA/?igshid=1qkdrsivtaanm

Looked at the 2nd pic wrong "Come as you feel".. thought they were getting kicked in the crotch so hard that they got airborne.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2020, 07:07:17 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2020, 07:07:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

How is it a reach to say that Jamie Thomas used Marisa (and Elissa) and just discarded them when they were no use to his brand anymore?
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2020, 07:15:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
How is it a reach to say that Jamie Thomas used Marisa (and Elissa) and just discarded them when they were no use to his brand anymore?

who said that’s what happened? a bunch of people on this message board?

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2020, 07:25:49 AM »
The Chief has always been an overbearing skate coach/tiger mom to all his riders, hasn't he? Didn't seem like he treated Marisa much differently than anybody else. Not saying that women aren't constantly belittled in skating, because they clearly are, but in that case I didn't get the sense that it was because she was a woman.

Seems like anybody who can leave Zero for something equal or better, does immediately - Greco, Ellington, Mumford, Cole, Allie. Everybody else probably couldn't escape. Respect to Marisa for peacing out on her terms

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2020, 07:35:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

who said that’s what happened? a bunch of people on this message board?

So wait, are you arguing that he didn’t discard them or that they weren’t useful to his brand? Curious

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2020, 07:35:27 AM »
Am I correct in assuming Stephen designed some of the boards for Bianca/917?
That green deck certainly makes a case for this.  If it's through DLX and they make an 8.75, i'll be all over it.

hueycinn

• Rep: 24
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2020, 07:36:01 AM »
jamie told marisa that women's names on boards couldn't sell. he offered her a weird percentage on royalties... no salary, no ad incentives, nothing.

she turned it down then he cut her hours in the warehouse and let her go. then he used her pro graphic he pitched to her but replaced her name with his on it.

i was working at blackbox when this happened

MareVitals

• Rep: -38
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2020, 07:40:40 AM »
jamie told marisa that women's names on boards couldn't sell. he offered her a weird percentage on royalties... no salary, no ad incentives, nothing.

she turned it down then he cut her hours in the warehouse and let her go. then he used her pro graphic he pitched to her but replaced her name with his on it.

i was working at blackbox when this happened
post the graphic

hueycinn

• Rep: 24
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2020, 07:44:55 AM »
this was almost 9 years ago. it was pretty similar to what the board they ended up giving her looked like. it was jamie's name in Misfits type.