Author Topic: Chicago  (Read 5264 times)

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
Re: Chicago
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2020, 05:22:55 PM »
Steez Ortiz, all you need to know

On a serious note though you should stop by Uprise
Yes to Uprise. They just did me a huge favor and got me that Strangelove apple board.

Also, Chaz won me over with his Metropolis part. This UIC rail is right by my house and it's no joke. I get nervous just jogging down these stairs.

https://youtu.be/DpdCf92O2MI?t=442

UselessAsshole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2020, 05:36:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Yes to Uprise. They just did me a huge favor and got me that Strangelove apple board.

Also, Chaz won me over with his Metropolis part. This UIC rail is right by my house and it's no joke. I get nervous just jogging down these stairs.

I'm so glad they cut that rail at the bottom back out. I ain't hitting that rail but the bank is fun as fuck.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2020, 05:36:17 PM »
25 or 6 to 4?

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2020, 05:41:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm so glad they cut that rail at the bottom back out. I ain't hitting that rail but the bank is fun as fuck.
Skating that bank would be super fun, but Metropolis came out in 2016 and the rails are back to normal. String Theory came out in 2019 when Jordan Taylor pulled this off.
https://youtu.be/cBKjEzpTmh8?t=393

Vomit Lust

• Rep: 83
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2020, 07:12:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Question about Uprise: I know they’re in Wicker Park or Buck Town or whatever now. I think I read that they used to be down south at first. But were they ever located on Clark like across from Weiner's Circle? Or is that a different shop I’m thinking of?

I lived in Chicago for a long time, but was going through a not-so-much skating phase when I lived on the north side. By the time I was fully skating again I was living in the suburbs.
[close]

They used to be on a different part of Milwaukee with a much cooler sign out front, but I don't think they were ever on Clark, and I don't think there was ever a shop that close to Weiner Circle.

Are you thinking of Windward Sports on Clark? They were farther north on Clark (only a mile or so). Had an amazing 2.5' micro ramp in the basement where I spent the majority of my winters from 2001-2008.

This would’ve been ‘98. It is entirely possible I’m misremembering the location a little, but I was pretty sure there was one there. Either way, it sounds like Uprise was never there.

Pippen

• Rep: 16
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2020, 07:35:42 PM »
I just moved to Chicago from the Bay area and am living up in Rogers park. Is there anything worthwhile in this area or should I start heading south more? I like curbs and ledges  8) Where should I go??

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2020, 07:41:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Question about Uprise: I know they’re in Wicker Park or Buck Town or whatever now. I think I read that they used to be down south at first. But were they ever located on Clark like across from Weiner's Circle? Or is that a different shop I’m thinking of?

I lived in Chicago for a long time, but was going through a not-so-much skating phase when I lived on the north side. By the time I was fully skating again I was living in the suburbs.
[close]

They used to be on a different part of Milwaukee with a much cooler sign out front, but I don't think they were ever on Clark, and I don't think there was ever a shop that close to Weiner Circle.

Are you thinking of Windward Sports on Clark? They were farther north on Clark (only a mile or so). Had an amazing 2.5' micro ramp in the basement where I spent the majority of my winters from 2001-2008.
[close]

This would’ve been ‘98. It is entirely possible I’m misremembering the location a little, but I was pretty sure there was one there. Either way, it sounds like Uprise was never there.

Remember that shop Rise?  The owner past away a few years back after getting hit by a car skating.

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 07:53:44 PM »
I just moved to Chicago from the Bay area and am living up in Rogers park. Is there anything worthwhile in this area or should I start heading south more? I like curbs and ledges  8) Where should I go??

Probably like an hour south on the redline to Roosevelt if you want to skate grant park skatepark.
56 w. Madison st is chase bank plaza
The loop is more fun to skate than nyc, tons of ledges, random little spots
I’m sure there is some stuff up by you tho if not claim some curbs

itsyourdad

• Rep: 56
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 08:11:53 PM »
yo if anyone on the thread is chicago based and tryna skate let’s fuckin’ get it forreal.

CrumblingInfrastructure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 297
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2020, 08:23:29 PM »

Im in Uptown currently. I lived here 7 years ago in Rogers Park off of Howard red line then later off of Bryn Mawr red. If I find anything in the area i’ll let you know.

Skating down the Marine Dr trail is super fun and Wilson is just off of it.

UselessAsshole

« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
Skating that bank would be super fun, but Metropolis came out in 2016 and the rails are back to normal. String Theory came out in 2019 when Jordan Taylor pulled this off.
Damn that's sick! I know they went back up but a buddy of mine was skating it like a week ago. Who knows though, fingers crossed haha.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2020, 11:28:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The loop is more fun to skate than nyc

stop

nosporlactune

• Rep: 10
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2020, 06:05:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Im in Uptown currently. I lived here 7 years ago in Rogers Park off of Howard red line then later off of Bryn Mawr red. If I find anything in the area i’ll let you know.

I used to live in Rogers Park as well. There's some banks at the eastern most end of Fargo, by the lake. There's a couple ledges along the walking path in Loyola Park/the easternmost end of Lunt. The ledges aren't all that though, they are pretty awkward. There's also a fun pole jam in the parking lot of one of the schools in the area, I think it's joyce kilmer elementary school, not sure though. That's about all I found in the area. I imagine there are other spots. Going south is obviously full of possibilities. Living in Rogers Park, it's also really easy to get to Evanston, and skating downtown Evanston and the Northwestern campus is really fun. There are quite a few fun little spots up there. My favorite is this dinky little bump that pops you over a sidewalk and curb. Its in the parking lot south of that big church on Sheridan, I think its called Garret church. There's some ledges by this tall clock tower on northwestern's campus, close to the restaurant Clarks, that have gotten modest coverage as far as spots outside of the loop go. I live in Uptown now too and pretty much exclusively skate wilson cause ive gotten lazy and spoiled by the park's proximity. Can't say enough good things about willy though. 

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 06:29:51 AM »
Pilsen DIY looks really cool I've been following their ig page for a few months and theyve been pouring like crazy. @pilsen_diy on ig. I think its privately owned but Julian who runs it is cool as fuck. Someone else mentioned them but the Grains videos are pretty tight a couple of my homies are in them but the way chief films is kinda weird, he never wants to film something that's going to be really hard or take a lot of tries so the videos he puts out look awesome but if you skate with those dudes youll see way crazier shit than what they put in the vids

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2020, 06:31:18 AM »
oh and also follow @chicagoskateboarding on ig they repost from tons of diff chicago skaters

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2020, 06:38:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
Damn that's sick! I know they went back up but a buddy of mine was skating it like a week ago. Who knows though, fingers crossed haha.
Damn, you're right. Just rode past this morning. Green light UIC rail (845 W. Taylor St.)

UselessAsshole

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2020, 09:29:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

From what I remember there might be an up ledge off the bike path by the lake near Tobey Prinz beach park. I haven't been there in years and they might have changed it but I remember it being pretty low and fun. That is if I've got the area right, I can't double check with google maps because there isn't street view there. Loyola might be worth checking out, I think they've been doing a lot of construction there and might have some ledges. I think I remember a very small, mellow hubba down a set of multiple 3 stairs around there, which was fun. I feel like you'll find something to skate there. Wish I could be more help, but I've only been up that way 2-3 times in the span of like 15 years, just figured if you're out skating around and check out those places you might find what you're looking for.

Pilsen DIY looks really cool I've been following their ig page for a few months and theyve been pouring like crazy. @pilsen_diy on ig. I think its privately owned but Julian who runs it is cool as fuck.

They can always use the help if you catch them while they're working on it, just shoot a DM. They're usually cool letting people skate it if you help build, donate or bring Hamm's haha.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2020, 12:18:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Remember that shop Rise?  The owner past away a few years back after getting hit by a car skating.

I believe you meant Push.  The owner was Reggie Destin (RIP) and yes he was killed by a drunk driver with a revoked license who swerved out of the lane to "scare" Reggie and some other friends.  They were 2 blocks from getting back to Uprise where they were all going to end the evening.

Nic

• Rep: 3
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2020, 12:44:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I believe you meant Push.  The owner was Reggie Destin (RIP) and yes he was killed by a drunk driver with a revoked license who swerved out of the lane to "scare" Reggie and some other friends.  They were 2 blocks from getting back to Uprise where they were all going to end the evening.

Push when it was downtown off the Chicago red line stop (not sure if there were any earlier locations) was where I got my first real board. That store looked so cool and always loved the name.

Gabagoolslide

• Rep: -85
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2020, 01:05:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
The loop is more fun to skate than nyc
[close]

stop

I’ll stop I don’t wanna blow up the spot
But I live in nyc and take skate vacations in Chicago

LUCKY ACID

• Rep: 7
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »
I realized I don't know much about what's going on in this city, who are some local crews/filmers to check out?
Jesse Neuhaus and Ferris Bueller would be a good start.  Cap n' Jazz are brilliant.  Josh Kalis and Chaz Ortiz have been properly representing Chicago with their Worldwide popularity.  Best thing about Chicago besides the 85' Bears and 90's Bulls is taking credit for inventing the Backside 360 Ollie kickflip AKA The Chicago Flip!

Gritty

• Rep: 2
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2020, 07:17:49 AM »
Expand Quote
I realized I don't know much about what's going on in this city, who are some local crews/filmers to check out?
[close]
Jesse Neuhaus and Ferris Bueller would be a good start.  Cap n' Jazz are brilliant.  Josh Kalis and Chaz Ortiz have been properly representing Chicago with their Worldwide popularity.  Best thing about Chicago besides the 85' Bears and 90's Bulls is taking credit for inventing the Backside 360 Ollie kickflip AKA The Chicago Flip!

Love me some capn jazz, they changed my life. Still listen to analphabetapolotology every once and a while, hits me right in the feels. mid 90s chicago scene had a huge influence on pa/philly music in the mid 2000s, good times.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2020, 10:15:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Thank you for the correction, I met and skated with Reggie in 2001-2002.  He is a great guy and treated me very well.  RIP to a real one!

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2020, 10:02:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn, I liked that Mike Rusyck part!
Haha! Is that the same ledge and trick timmy johnson is doing in his screen grab.^^^
Timmy has been on my radar for awhile. So smooth.

Uknowmyinsta

• Rep: -368
  • Your brain has no facts.
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2020, 10:27:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Damn, I liked that Mike Rusyck part!
[close]
Haha! Is that the same ledge and trick timmy johnson is doing in his screen grab.^^^
Timmy has been on my radar for awhile. So smooth.

I have two copies of this video on VHS, if anyone needs one in exchange for a lot of money.

Reggie was a good guy, and Push was a paradigm of many modern boutique style shops.

ThePeoplesChamp

• Rep: -14
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2020, 11:54:13 AM »
Chad Matthews use to put out really sick videos. Kevin Delgrosso is another filmer that kills it. Deep Dish is a rad crew. FA Skates is a shop in the north suburbs that is rad and has helped with spots and videos too.

Sad dad

• Rep: 4
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2020, 09:04:47 PM »
I've got a Chicago spot question.

I saw a clip a while back of someone skating a spot with very low yellow flatbar-like objects - it's a street spot so they aren't really flatbars - more like round metal parking blocks? There are a lot of them in the parking lot, seemingly nothing else to skate at that spot, and the bars are all near the front of a building.

I'd normally try to solve this myself but I can't remember where I saw the clip and none of my friends know what I'm talking about.

I'd really like to skate this place sometime and if someone could let me know where it is I'd really appreciate it.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
  • illinoying
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2020, 11:24:47 PM »
I moved away three different times and always miss it here besides the winter months

lazer69

• Rep: -95
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2020, 11:52:17 PM »

is this the spot youre talking about?

IDK where it is, I dont even live in Chicago anymore, but i've been curious where it is.

Sad dad

• Rep: 4
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2020, 06:10:01 AM »

is this the spot youre talking about?

IDK where it is, I dont even live in Chicago anymore, but i've been curious where it is.

This one looks fun but isn’t the one I’m thinking of. The spot I’m thinking of isn’t covered and the “flatbars” are round and low - metal parking blocks.