Author Topic: Shoe design thread v2  (Read 2403 times)

Arto Saari

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
Shoe design thread v2
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:01:39 PM »
Post your shoe design concepts in here!

Skate or otherwise, all are welcome.

Here's the 'cultivar', a cupsole option designed for last resort. Enjoy!

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
Re: Shoe design thread v2
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 12:28:06 PM »
The color combinations look outstanding

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 06:36:26 PM »
aerobix, peach fuzz, and mystery house are hot colorways
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 08:11:39 PM »
@Arto Saari  I’m curious on what materials you’d ideally use. Like is the inside of the shoe a different material than the rest. Like on the pink one is the black canvas or something?

Also looks good I hope this thread gets you a check or internship that leads to bigger things or something.

Arto Saari

• hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 08:42:06 AM »
What's up yall. Thanks for the kind words. I like the colorways a lot too, Aerobix being my personal favorite. Believe it or not, most of the colorways I had sucked until like 15 minutes before I posted these.. I felt I had to come correct for the slap gang so I took one last one last gamble and ended up getting lucky on a few.

@merge Bingo. The colored panels would be a thick,hairy suede (or maybe a synthetic for the vegan crew) and the black part would be canvas or another textile. Its paneled in a way to give you more layers for protection on the lateral side, while omitting them on the medial side to make the shoe more flexible. I was originally referencing the makaha radial a little bit. A late 70's skate shoe made from nylon and suede. I love how nylon feels next to suede and vice versa, but unfortunately its cumbersome and not breathable.. so yeah, probably canvas.

Arto Saari

• hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 08:58:32 AM »
Its Thirsty Thursday, baby

Today we have another shoe from emerica called the 'Glint'. An attempt to take some subtle flavor cues from the late 90s, and make them less late 90's esque (?)

Also if the thread starts f*cking up again lmk and ill try and make the files smaller

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 09:42:52 AM »
That looks like the spiritual successor to the Herman G6, and I love it.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 10:03:10 AM »
Its Thirsty Thursday, baby

Today we have another shoe from emerica called the 'Glint'. An attempt to take some subtle flavor cues from the late 90s, and make them less late 90's esque (?)

Also if the thread starts f*cking up again lmk and ill try and make the files smaller

brooo keep making these

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 04:44:16 AM »
Idk why the fuck Emerica doesn't hire this guy, fire the whole staff and let Arto in charge so the shoes can finally stop sucking balls
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 07:19:39 AM »
Arto, I think you should point out the different materials on the outsole. Where is it durable rubber, where is it exposed midsole foam? Especially on the Glint. Is that outsole all rubber? Because I think some areas of non-rubber would help flexibility and give you some color contrast options.

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 07:58:31 AM »
Idk why the fuck Emerica doesn't hire this guy, fire the whole staff and let Arto in charge so the shoes can finally stop sucking balls

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Arto Saari

• hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 08:06:00 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.

And @frothy thank you for the feedback. In this particular instance the sole is all rubber. Some exposed midsole foam areas would definitely make these less clunky, but unfortunately that wasn't a priority for me on this design. I do have some designs with exposed midsoles though, and ill try and make sure that comes through in the drawings

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 08:35:09 AM »
I was definitely thinking that shoe had Creager vibes even before the gif. Well done, again! Not my cup of tea, but that should be anyone buying eS shoes in 2020’s.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 09:33:07 AM »
These are probably my favorite Arto shoe and colorway. Reposting for good measure.

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 09:36:45 AM »
I really hope last resort buys that design wow

Wonderful Whizzplank

• Rep: 8
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 09:45:52 AM »
Friday.

Today we have the 'photon'. Techy eS sh*t for those who are into that, but not into the rugby ball shaped reissues without airbags they currently offer.

Everstitch upper with suede (or synthetic) vamp and heel. Synthetic overlays, rubber ollie thing, etc, etc.

dual density misdole (carrier foam housing a proprietary blend), maybe even a little gel pad on the footbed  ::)

Tell it to me straight

Inspired by this

I'm into this, and I don't remember the "golden era" so you're doing something right. The contrast stitching near the heel is a bit much for my taste, but overall I adore the concept. Taking inspiration from your own pro models is a bit cheap tho...  ::)
Total newbie

Manny Fapuiao

• Rep: 110
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 09:49:39 AM »
Damn, I wish I was as talented as you Arto! I'd absolutely rock any and all of your designs/colorways.
I've had a better understanding of what is happening around me while smoking Salvia as a passenger in a moving vehicle than reading your post

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 318
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2020, 07:53:51 PM »
Damn. Someone give this man a job. I would willingly empty my pockets for a lot of these.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 02:09:14 AM »

Inspired by this

I’d kill for those Creagers.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 05:40:26 AM »
I really hope last resort buys that design wow

Looks infinitely better than the actual designs they use imo

Arto Saari

• hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2020, 09:31:31 AM »
Thanks for the kind words pals.

@FROTHY Those shoes and that color now belong to you. I willfully yield all ownership.

@Manny Fapuiao Again, thank you. The talent was not cheap, and unfortunately the only accepted currency was time. endless amounts of time.

@Wonderful Whizzplank Glad to hear your into it. Believe it or not, the 'golden era' predates me as well. I was born in 1994 so I just barely caught the end of it in my early childhood. As for the self reference, I can promise you it wont be the last time  ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 05:18:05 PM by Arto Saari »

Arto Saari

• hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2020, 09:32:22 AM »
Hope yall had a good weekend.

This week starts us off with a 3-part project from eS which I've dubbed the 'Genesis' collection. Heavily inspired by the aesthetic of eS before the debut of the koston 1. Not quite athletic, but still highly stylized, this era of eS had a really unique feel to it that has since been absent not only in skateboarding, but in footwear design as a whole.

Part 1. The ethos. Pretty straight forward design wise. The tread pattern would probably be pebble mania, but I guess you cant win em' all..

Enjoy!

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2020, 05:18:22 PM »
Those Ethos are sick. I'd skate the shit out of those. They give me the old 90's eS vibe and even a little bit of the Koston 6.

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2020, 06:11:27 PM »
The thoughtfulness of your designs is appreciated. Can't help but think the budget for a lot of these models who blow what's normally allotted out of the water. Have you considered existing vulc/cup outsoles with revised (better) uppers?

Arto Saari

• hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2020, 06:57:07 PM »
The thoughtfulness of your designs is appreciated. Can't help but think the budget for a lot of these models who blow what's normally allotted out of the water. Have you considered existing vulc/cup outsoles with revised (better) uppers?

Thanks, the details are what make the design. but you're absolutely right that all of these shoes would be really expensive to produce. The stuff I'm sharing now is mostly just a reflection of what I'm into.. essentially a best case scenario fantasy of what I want out of a skate shoe. At this point, I'm basically my own creative director so I tend to go balls-to-the-wall, no-limits on the design just to satisfy my own personal tastes.

I definitely can do vulcs and more subdued designs that use existing tooling, but since its not as exciting and I'm not getting paid for any of my projects, Id rather just explore for myself for the time being. That being said, all the work I'm sharing now is a few months old so I'm just trying to purge all of it before I move on to new stuff. I have a few vulc options and a ton of high fashion skate cupsoles that need to go through illustrator, as well as other random personal footwear design stuff, but its all a process. So much work, so little time :-\

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 07:21:15 PM »
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 36
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 04:32:45 AM »
Dude, that subtle 95 detail on the tongue is sublime.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Arto Saari

• hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 10:00:24 AM »
Thanks to everyone who liked the ethos. Everyone else.. ya dead to me.

Part 2 of the Genesis collection brings us the 'Serif'. This design is inspired directly by 3 eS shoes from the time period of reference; the 'contour', the 'solist', and the 'ethalon'.

All my fellow lace loop enthusiasts know that not being able to properly lace a shoe because of a ripped lace loop is annoying. To remedy this, the loops don't need to be threaded through the eyelets where they are left exposed. You can lace the shoes internally using the same loops. Of course, leaving the loops exposed makes the shoes look way more 'ill' and ultimately conveys a more IDGAFIIRMLL (I don't give a f*ck if I rip my lace loops) attitude, which is totally fresh.

LMK

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 10:12:22 AM »
That t-toe on the serif is sick! I don’t think I’ve ever seen one like that. And the lace loops!

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 10:25:51 AM »
At a certain point I feel like we should just all invest in Arto to make slap brand shoes. These designs are better than 99% of what’s in the upcoming threads. I would skate everything in this thread.