Author Topic: Spitfire Formula 4 Classics vs Conical Fulls?  (Read 7295 times)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
Re: Spitfire Formula 4 Classics vs Conical Fulls?
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2022, 03:27:31 PM »
I’m a recent convert back to skating Classics after spending a while on wider wheels and I must say it’s surprisingly been all upside and no downside.  If you’re debating between those two shapes though (classics and conical fulls) I’d go with a radial.  You essentially get a classic that’s a little wider and very slightly squarer with a wider contact patch for crusty ground.  Kind of the best compromise -  almost like creating a worn down classic without putting in the effort to make it yourself.   

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2022, 04:38:29 PM »
I've just swapped to 33mm classics after skating conical fulls for over a year... mainly because i feel like the conicals make my board look and feel clunky/heavy.

Not had session yet but i'm hoping for positive results.

Double checking 33mm or 53mm wheels?

A 33mm wheel is still bigger than the "bearing condoms" some people used to ride (and still do) but I am thinking 53mm wheels are more common.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

IpathCats

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »
I’m a recent convert back to skating Classics after spending a while on wider wheels and I must say it’s surprisingly been all upside and no downside.  If you’re debating between those two shapes though (classics and conical fulls) I’d go with a radial.  You essentially get a classic that’s a little wider and very slightly squarer with a wider contact patch for crusty ground.  Kind of the best compromise -  almost like creating a worn down classic without putting in the effort to make it yourself.   

I was on radials for a while. Went to classics once and haven't looked back. I even bought like 4 sets of 56mm 99a f4 classics at one point. A truly wonderful shape for me. Considering going to 54s now that I'm riding thunders though.

Sedition

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2022, 09:11:11 PM »
Or Radial Slims which combine the best of a Classic (rounded edge for a easier tip over), Conical (wide riding surface and inward cut for less weight) and Tablet (skinny shape, flat side profile for a cleaner lock in).

Radial Slims, it seems, have not really been in production since before covid.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2022, 11:16:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Or Radial Slims which combine the best of a Classic (rounded edge for a easier tip over), Conical (wide riding surface and inward cut for less weight) and Tablet (skinny shape, flat side profile for a cleaner lock in).
[close]

Radial Slims, it seems, have not really been in production since before covid.

The 101a ones can still be found with some digging, the 99a ones are almost impossible to find. Haven't been in production since 2019.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2022, 11:43:29 PM »
Expand Quote
I've just swapped to 33mm classics after skating conical fulls for over a year... mainly because i feel like the conicals make my board look and feel clunky/heavy.

[close]

A 33mm wheel is still bigger than the "bearing condoms" some people used to ride (and still do) but I am thinking 53mm wheels are more common.

Haha yes, my bad… 53mm classics.

Knee Pain

• Rep: 42
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2022, 03:37:05 AM »
Okay so after one session on the classics, initial thoughts are that I can’t believe how much easier flip tricks are. Specifically kickflips, the board feels much lighter.

Now I’m just annoyed at myself for putting my 35 year old legs through 2 years of skating conical fulls.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 05:19:02 AM by Knee Pain »

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2022, 04:05:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Haha yes, my bad… 53mm classics.

Yeah, well it is Slap so there are setups with very small wheels still doing the rounds.

As you said, shapes like Classics really are just so good though.

europa1991

• Rep: 51
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2022, 06:51:23 PM »
Alright since there’s a thread for these two wheels now I figure I’d ask here but does anyone notice a difference between the conicals and the classics for wallrides? Been trying to get consistent with them when getting in smoothly on straight up walls and was curious if switching to a classic shape would make things easier? Been on conical fulls for a min but I’m willing to try anything to make this shit easier lol

LebowskisRug

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2022, 08:35:45 PM »
I'm telling y'all- find and hoard Classic Fulls. The 54 starts as a worn down 56 and after 6 weeks mine are at 53 and truly a god tier shape. I've got 2 sets on ice and looking out for more.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2022, 03:36:51 AM »
I'm telling y'all- find and hoard Classic Fulls. The 54 starts as a worn down 56 and after 6 weeks mine are at 53 and truly a god tier shape. I've got 2 sets on ice and looking out for more.

Not sure if it is just in Australia or what, but there seems to be quite a lot more 52 mm or the black 53 mm around and almost no 54 mm Repeaters (not that I need any more wheels anyway) but I was wondering if it was similar in USA or other places - or just when people find the 54 mm wheels, they get them all, as I would be doing, so shops who did get them all sell out quickly anyway?

LebowskisRug

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2022, 07:33:25 AM »
Actually the opposite it was hard to find 52's, I never saw the 53's in shops, but I have seen quite a lot of 54's.

Murge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2022, 07:40:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not sure if it is just in Australia or what, but there seems to be quite a lot more 52 mm or the black 53 mm around and almost no 54 mm Repeaters (not that I need any more wheels anyway) but I was wondering if it was similar in USA or other places - or just when people find the 54 mm wheels, they get them all, as I would be doing, so shops who did get them all sell out quickly anyway?

Only repeaters I can find are a set of 54s at 303 skate shop in Colorado. I’m tempted. But I literally found them after I ordered some 55 classics in hopes by the time they are 53/54 they’ll feel like fulls.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2022, 10:22:27 PM »
Okay so after one session on the classics, initial thoughts are that I can’t believe how much easier flip tricks are. Specifically kickflips, the board feels much lighter.

Now I’m just annoyed at myself for putting my 35 year old legs through 2 years of skating conical fulls.

I get why different wheel shapes scoop or rotate (180) easier than others, but I still have no idea why different shapes affect the flip of decks.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 961
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2022, 10:25:19 PM »
I'm about to go for a new set of OG classics 55, very close to conical full (coming from Classic 54, pretty sure they are now around 50mm).
Does the squarish shape change the way slappies work ?
I just got back into them and i'm wondering if it's going to be way different

Oh classic had no issues with slappy. They way way better than the Connie’s
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Only repeaters I can find are a set of 54s at 303 skate shop in Colorado. I’m tempted. But I literally found them after I ordered some 55 classics in hopes by the time they are 53/54 they’ll feel like fulls.

55 classic is the 2nd best f4 shape I’ve Had ever. 101a too. 
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2022, 06:54:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I get why different wheel shapes scoop or rotate (180) easier than others, but I still have no idea why different shapes affect the flip of decks.
If you flick right at take off, a wider, square wheel can add some resistance to the flick. If you have a delayed flick, the shape itself is more inconsequential.

Also, narrower wheels like the classics tend to be lighter which can affect speed of flips.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2022, 07:13:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I was on radials for a while. Went to classics once and haven't looked back. I even bought like 4 sets of 56mm 99a f4 classics at one point. A truly wonderful shape for me. Considering going to 54s now that I'm riding thunders though.

2023 we’re gonna come full circle and classics will be cool again

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2022, 07:22:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve had some good sets of wheels that were not classics, but…it’s just easier to get classics. My next will hopefully be the 53 97s, good everywhere except for the skatepark.

spacial_profiling

• Rep: -86
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2022, 07:26:35 AM »
Al I run are classics 53mm-56mm or conical full 54mm-56mm. Classics make it a little less easy on slappies esp if you're coming from conical fulls, but they're fine still. My in-between is classic fulls.

IpathCats

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2022, 07:32:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

They've always been cool IMO. I think round wheels look better in footage too. When i think of a skateboard wheel, a classic shape is what i picture, they just look right.