Author Topic: Help with k grinds  (Read 2166 times)

MxsDx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 90
Help with k grinds
« on: September 19, 2020, 10:28:26 PM »
when I try to pop out of or off a backside k grind the board tends to flip toward my toe side rather than stay planted under my feet. Any suggestions?

franc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 96
Re: Help with k grinds
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 01:40:29 PM »
Torque your crooked grind more, making it closer a noseslide. Put more pressure on your front heel.

MxsDx

• Rep: 90
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 02:50:29 PM »
Torque your crooked grind more, making it closer a noseslide. Put more pressure on your front heel.

Thanks for the response!

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 03:28:46 PM »
If all else fails, open your shoulders with the grind and exit fakie.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 12:12:04 AM »
Put pressure on the heel on the weighted foot, and nudge/pop it off.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 565
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 04:15:40 AM »
Usually when learning to pop out Crooked grinds your board flip like a nollie heel.
Slide your back foot a bit towards heel side

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2020, 04:59:24 AM »
Popping out of grinds is kind of like little power slides. You flatten while you're pushing down and scooch it away from the ledge
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 06:00:45 AM »
i learned em to fakie first and it helped me with straight pop outs. start out by doing the same shit with your legs as you would with the crook to fakie but try to keep your upper half straight. as soon as you feel that the truck has left the ledge straighten out as if you were doing a noseslide. if you don't understand what i mean, try looking at it this way: let's say that when you're doing a k grind your board is turned 45 degrees frontside, away from the ledge. when trying to pop out. you keep on rotating frontside like you would with a crook to fakie, but as soon as you feel that you're starting to noseslide (around 55-60 degrees frontside) you twist backside to land parallel to the ledge, rolling away straight. it's kinda hard to explain but i hope that it's going to help, that's how i learned these so it might work for you as well.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 11:56:32 AM »
Yeah that's pretty good description. I see it.

I also love curved ledges and flat bars

It pushes back.

The end of a round in the ground flat bar is also maybe a good idea.
Bonk the end with a ton of weight on the crooks

There's no way to get too on top of a round flat. 

Also try switch or Fakie ones. Front ones. Sometimes people are born lucky and have the fancy crooks.
(A)pl(E)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 10:10:46 PM »
Consider hanging your heel off to counter it, or push on your heel as someone mentioned.

The other thing I forget is my back foot I can push it out a bit versus letting it flop over...

I'm horrible at this trick but have improved from not being able to do it at all...

That comment about almost clicking it to noseslide works for me...I still can't pop out well but it keeps it flat at least.  It puts all the pressure on the heel side wheel which prevents the board from primo'ing...

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2020, 04:42:39 PM »
I desperately need help with these. Been trying them consistently for 6+ months and haven't landed one. I'm at the point where I can lock into the crook position good but I get to the end of the ledge and my board flips over. I've almost come out 180 a couple times but I kinda wanna learn to pop out first.

The homies have been saying things like "go faster" (when I go any faster I usually miss the crook and end up in awkward nosegrind) "put more weight on your heel" (that one seems to help)

I've been focused on getting more on top of the ledge and pushing the grind forward, I suppose my question is do you guys feel like you're almost leaning back in the grind when it works? Like you get all your weight on the nose/heelside of the board to put it into crook but you then have to lean back/away from the ledge for it to work? I usually stick and fall forward even when trying to just stall crook position so that's why I'm asking it like that. PLEASE HELP ME, IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE that I can't do what people call a "basic" grind.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 06:23:41 PM »
I desperately need help with these. Been trying them consistently for 6+ months and haven't landed one. I'm at the point where I can lock into the crook position good but I get to the end of the ledge and my board flips over. I've almost come out 180 a couple times but I kinda wanna learn to pop out first.

The homies have been saying things like "go faster" (when I go any faster I usually miss the crook and end up in awkward nosegrind) "put more weight on your heel" (that one seems to help)

I've been focused on getting more on top of the ledge and pushing the grind forward, I suppose my question is do you guys feel like you're almost leaning back in the grind when it works? Like you get all your weight on the nose/heelside of the board to put it into crook but you then have to lean back/away from the ledge for it to work? I usually stick and fall forward even when trying to just stall crook position so that's why I'm asking it like that. PLEASE HELP ME, IT'S DRIVING ME INSANE that I can't do what people call a "basic" grind.

When you go fast crash into that shit from further away?

I definitely do not feel behind on a crook. I'm on top of that and when I think I'm going to fall out I'm like nope do a little scooch and pull it back together.

You don't even got to nollie you can just push on your heel and leverage the locked wheel.
(A)pl(E)

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2020, 06:12:47 AM »
Those clicked for me when I started taking their alternate name 'pointer grind' literally - you pop a straight ollie slightly angled towards the ledge and your front foot and leg guide and lock the nose into the exact position you want to crush with your truck, you have to aim for one exact spot and just transfer your weight up there. Keyword being 'up there' - your weight needs to be over the top of the edge you're grinding otherwise you'll most likely get into weird noseslides with the truck kind of on. You're not supposed to try and sort of 180 into the position, nor should you treat it like backside 50's, it's more of a diagonal side jump atop of the ledge bringing your front truck up with you (at first at least, and then figuring them out with a more parallel approach naturally comes with time) and then once you're up there you sit on it. The more surface of your truck on the edge the better. Extended front leg kind of keeps applying pressure throughout the whole grind with your back foot keeping the form in check and then if your board half flips when you pop out it's because your weight is still kind of of(f). Don't try jumping off to the side to pop out, give the nose a forwards nudge and have your back foot take over to control and rectify the direction (like it does on shifty nollies) of what essentially is a mini nollie out of the position.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2020, 06:32:45 AM »
when I try to pop out of or off a backside k grind the board tends to flip toward my toe side rather than stay planted under my feet. Any suggestions?

You gotta do a nollie like motion but sideways against the ledge. Do it before the ledge ends. This makes you pop out of the grind in a controlled fashion. Once you get it you land it every time.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 10:43:23 PM »
The best is when people tell me to pop out just like you do for noseslides....and I have no idea what they are talking about...