Author Topic: When do you consider someone a “skateboarder”  (Read 9613 times)

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2150
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: When do you consider someone a “skateboarder”
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2020, 08:00:07 AM »
Expand Quote
You have to have bs lipslides on flatbars, at least one kickflip in ledge trick and atleast one stylish switch flip trick.

It may sound random but if you've never experienced the mental battle of committing to bs lipslides then you aren't a skater.

Basically i don't consider 99% of slap to be skaters which is sad considering my low standards.
[close]
Cheetah is that you???!!!???!
That ain’t Cheetah ‘til they’ve claimed a flat ground 720 ollie.
SlapRhaters ≠ Cheetah.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2020, 08:14:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You have to have bs lipslides on flatbars, at least one kickflip in ledge trick and atleast one stylish switch flip trick.

It may sound random but if you've never experienced the mental battle of committing to bs lipslides then you aren't a skater.

Basically i don't consider 99% of slap to be skaters which is sad considering my low standards.
[close]
[close]
SlapRhaters ≠ Cheetah.
true true. forgotten about how inzane that legend truly was.

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2020, 08:19:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
SlapRhaters ≠ Cheetah.
[close]
true true. forgotten about how inzane that legend truly was.

I thought it was a flatground fakie 720. Not that it really makes a difference.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2020, 08:28:44 AM »
When someone yells "Do a kickflip!", and you actually do a kickflip

haha so much fun friday nights when all the drunk frat boys start walking around campus telling u to do kickflips and u bet $5 for every consecutive make

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2020, 08:28:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Shit, my homey; I was...a skateboarder before any of those tricks were invented.

first, this

second, SlapRhaters, you are an absolute darling...kisses to you...anyone who has continued to skate for decade after decade despite the ubiquitous pressures to stop--physical, social, familial, economic, etc.--can only sit back and smile at your completely random list of compulsory tricks.

ps: i've been skateboarding for over 35-years and i have had frontside 5-0s on round flat bars (not dragging the tail, standing up) probably longer than you've been alive, at least longer than you've been a "skateboarder"--way harder than back lips. "It may sound random but if you've never experienced the mental battle of committing to [standing up on frontside 5-0s on round rails] then you aren't a skater."

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2020, 08:39:36 AM »
when you masturbate with griptape on your hands and scream "sk8 ur die!" as you ejaculate.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2020, 08:46:42 AM »
Hell ride?

Fernandito

• Rep: -77
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2020, 08:52:16 AM »
Expand Quote
I’ve been skating for nearly 9 months now after a very long hiatus and doubt I’ll ever be on the same wave length as people who stuck with it from a young age. I feel like a kooky mid-20s grandpa trying to live out his tweenage fantasies
[close]

I'm all about the welcome mat for all stripes and skill levels, whoever gets that little childlike thrill from rolling. But from your old posts (that you deleted), you ain't it.

I enjoy skateboarding but I also value making progress and can’t help comparing myself to others at this stage; I don’t see why they have to be mutually exclusive. I think it’s generally easier to be a free spirited adult skater when you’re very comfortable on a board have an extensive bag of slappy and transition tricks at the least
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 09:09:41 AM by Fernandito »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2020, 09:06:22 AM »
My first visit here was an attempt to find like minded skaters like myself and have well thought out and educated conversations with each other.

Instead what i encountered disgusted me, people with 2000 posts, signed up for 8 years who have admitted they never learnt to tre flip which would be fine if 90% of their posts weren't taking shit on skaters who are way more dedicated at it then they have ever been.

Then we also have these guys saying regular shit like " nollie nose blunts are easier then blunt slides even though i've never even learned anything but a board slide "

I am that piece of reality in a giant cloud of delusion. You may not like me, i may not like you but the truth needs be spoken from someone who's actually experienced the topic and not just a delusional crowd of people who live it vicariously.

Like listen to the responses to this thread " the first time falling in public " Ok so someone who hasn't even learned how to ride a skateboard is a skater because they ate shit infront of a crowd? That's regular, an actual skater would say something like " a person who's fallen skating by themselves 1000 times and gotten up to land the trick"

You might not notice it due to being too caught up in your act (calling it like it is on the sole basis of your user name), but accounts like yours that bring nothing to the table but cheap shots and middle-school level drama don't really level this place up either. Your obsession with other users and constant generalizations and fantasizing regarding them (because by speaking for all of SLAP, that's what you're doing) really reads like you're the one constantly projecting and protecting your own insecurities regarding 'skate skill' and 'skate identity'. I'm just being honest and trying to provide you with some perspective, not to give you shit. You're never bringing 1998 back by being an asshole to randoms on purpose, if you want to see a change on here then you should bring it positively by being your own person if you can, otherwise you're really wasting your time and energy and it's just a sad sight. SLAP and the Internet as a whole have always been full of bullshit, everyone has flaws, you just know it when you see it, sometimes laugh, always move on. Whether one likes it or not, skateboarding has changed a lot in 20+ years and nowadays it's something most everyone has access to, and can do or try appreciating casually; in the end if you let what other people do affect you as though it gets in your way of being yourself then maybe it's more of a personal struggle with your own identity?

Also I believe I'm the one who said getting into nollie nosebluntslides was easier on low stuff than some other bluntslide variations and I've been able to boardslide for 20+ years which is random as fuck to bring up but I'm not the one who did it, just saying to highlight how far you're willing to lump every poster together to stretch reality according to what you really wish it were. You should post like you expect other people to post, if you're trying to generate 'thought-out and educated conversations', and contribute to raising the bar if that's how you see it because honestly everything I've ever seen from your account has been shit talk and asking help to find a Shane O'Neil video once.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2020, 09:46:55 AM »
When you do it enough that yourself and other people say it’s something you do a lot.

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2020, 09:49:20 AM »
When I bought a biebel fully flared board with grind king plaid trucks with those funky kingpins i felt like i had ascended into the cool club

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2020, 09:56:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I’ve been skating for nearly 9 months now after a very long hiatus and doubt I’ll ever be on the same wave length as people who stuck with it from a young age. I feel like a kooky mid-20s grandpa trying to live out his tweenage fantasies
[close]

I'm all about the welcome mat for all stripes and skill levels, whoever gets that little childlike thrill from rolling. But from your old posts (that you deleted), you ain't it.
[close]

I enjoy skateboarding but I also value making progress and can’t help comparing myself to others at this stage; I don’t see why they have to be mutually exclusive. I think it’s generally easier to be a free spirited adult skater when you’re very comfortable on a board have an extensive bag of slappy and transition tricks at the least
Just learn those tricks then. I’m in my forties (been skating continuously since I was a little kid) and learned slappies like two years ago. Not that hard just never thought to try them. Transition OTOH I have always hated and pretty much never skate and tbh I don’t care.

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Serious question: Why are you on here when you seem to hate slap and believe 99% of us can’t get on your level?
[close]

My first visit here was an attempt to find like minded skaters like myself and have well thought out and educated conversations with each other.

Instead what i encountered disgusted me, people with 2000 posts, signed up for 8 years who have admitted they never learnt to tre flip which would be fine if 90% of their posts weren't taking shit on skaters who are way more dedicated at it then they have ever been.

Then we also have these guys saying regular shit like " nollie nose blunts are easier then blunt slides even though i've never even learned anything but a board slide "

I am that piece of reality in a giant cloud of delusion. You may not like me, i may not like you but the truth needs be spoken from someone who's actually experienced the topic and not just a delusional crowd of people who live it vicariously.

Like listen to the responses to this thread " the first time falling in public " Ok so someone who hasn't even learned how to ride a skateboard is a skater because they ate shit infront of a crowd? That's regular, an actual skater would say something like " a person who's fallen skating by themselves 1000 times and gotten up to land the trick"
[close]

Yes WE are the delusional people.  How dare us lowly peons ever comment on someone’s skating if we aren’t exceptional as well.   

Using your logic, since I have a master’s degree and you do not, I can critique your education and intelligence since you haven’t struggled, strived or shown the same dedication to an education as I have therefore you are stupid and cannot call yourself educated especially in my presence.  Anything you say to the contrary will show me how jealous and inferior you feel/are
[close]

When did i say you have to be exceptional? This is your problem, if you ever actually put in any decent amount of effort to skating, the thing y'all claim to love you would realize learning bs lips, flip in ledge tricks and a nice switch flip isn't exceptional at all.

Your logic here is pathetic and it shows that education means nothing when it comes to your intelligence. First off anyone can go to school for 4 years as literally all it takes it showing up, skating for 4 years requires showing up AND dealing with 4 years worth of falls and injuries. Skateboarding is learned by yourself, give a new skater the exact advice on how to tre flip and it won't help him at all as he has to learn it himself, on the other hand give a student a formula and he can instantly put it to use by himself. There are also no cheat codes in skateboarding, if you can't do something you can't do it, you can't just copy the work or look it up on google and instantly have the trick like with education. Also to finish it off, i've never said anyone has to master skateboarding to state their opinion or have it matter, just have a decent bag of tricks so your talking from experience, aka in your school terms you should have at least passed grade 6 english class before you start talking shit on someone who's graduated high school.
[close]

You’re just jealous (and also clearly have no idea what higher education involved)

That's funny considering i graduated from university, sounds like you are just jealous i didn't let that stop me from getting good at skating.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2150
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2020, 01:08:19 PM »
Is this the part where I get to say “Post a diploma, fuccboi!” or am I too early for that?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SlapRhaters

« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2020, 01:08:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Shit, my homey; I was...a skateboarder before any of those tricks were invented.
[close]

first, this

second, SlapRhaters, you are an absolute darling...kisses to you...anyone who has continued to skate for decade after decade despite the ubiquitous pressures to stop--physical, social, familial, economic, etc.--can only sit back and smile at your completely random list of compulsory tricks.

ps: i've been skateboarding for over 35-years and i have had frontside 5-0s on round flat bars (not dragging the tail, standing up) probably longer than you've been alive, at least longer than you've been a "skateboarder"--way harder than back lips. "It may sound random but if you've never experienced the mental battle of committing to [standing up on frontside 5-0s on round rails] then you aren't a skater."

I know your trying to be sarcastic but i agree with you 100%, how do you call your self a skater if you can't do the next step up from a basic 50-50? That's literally the basics.
 I use the bs lip as a requirement because it's the first trick where you have to commit to the blind side which imo is a right of passage for a skater. 

I had both of these tricks before i was 12 by the way, this is the req for a skater, not a good one lol.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2020, 01:08:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Serious question: Why are you on here when you seem to hate slap and believe 99% of us can’t get on your level?
[close]

[close]

Yes WE are the delusional people.  How dare us lowly peons ever comment on someone’s skating if we aren’t exceptional as well.   

Using your logic, since I have a master’s degree and you do not, I can critique your education and intelligence since you haven’t struggled, strived or shown the same dedication to an education as I have therefore you are stupid and cannot call yourself educated especially in my presence.  Anything you say to the contrary will show me how jealous and inferior you feel/are
[close]

When did i say you have to be exceptional? This is your problem, if you ever actually put in any decent amount of effort to skating, the thing y'all claim to love you would realize learning bs lips, flip in ledge tricks and a nice switch flip isn't exceptional at all.

Your logic here is pathetic and it shows that education means nothing when it comes to your intelligence. First off anyone can go to school for 4 years as literally all it takes it showing up, skating for 4 years requires showing up AND dealing with 4 years worth of falls and injuries. Skateboarding is learned by yourself, give a new skater the exact advice on how to tre flip and it won't help him at all as he has to learn it himself, on the other hand give a student a formula and he can instantly put it to use by himself. There are also no cheat codes in skateboarding, if you can't do something you can't do it, you can't just copy the work or look it up on google and instantly have the trick like with education. Also to finish it off, i've never said anyone has to master skateboarding to state their opinion or have it matter, just have a decent bag of tricks so your talking from experience, aka in your school terms you should have at least passed grade 6 english class before you start talking shit on someone who's graduated high school.
[close]

You’re just jealous (and also clearly have no idea what higher education involved)
[close]

That's funny considering i graduated from university, sounds like you are just jealous i didn't let that stop me from getting good at skating.

Ah so you are from England or some current/former commonwealth country.  Understandable why you’re jealous of my American graduate degree as you’re clearly not Oxbridge material

SlapRhaters

« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2020, 01:17:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Ah so you are from England or some current/former commonwealth country.  Understandable why you’re jealous of my American graduate degree as you’re clearly not Oxbridge material
sounds like someone's mom told them their are no universities in america cause he could only afford community college or something.

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2020, 01:25:11 PM »
You're a skateboarder when your family tells you you're too old for it and just give that sigh

Stu Pickles

• Rep: 95
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2020, 01:27:26 PM »
hey slaprhaters if youre so smart if i put a fleshlight in my ass and get my boy to fuck it, is that gay or just two straight guys having fun?

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »
hey slaprhaters if youre so smart if i put a fleshlight in my ass and get my boy to fuck it, is that gay or just two straight guys having fun?

Swing and a miss

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2020, 01:32:53 PM »
I asked Brian Patch and Neil Hendrix at skate camp and they said no homo

SlapRhaters

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2020, 01:40:31 PM »
If i was in charge people would be given the death penalty for even thinking about doing such things.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 141
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2020, 01:45:33 PM »
When you got 99 set ups and you don’t ride one.

lol

In the 90s it was the scuffs on your shoes, I pretty much still look at peoples shoe scuffs if they carry a skate.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Swing and a miss

Can we discuss your screen name instead and wonder if that means Skinner is the first/only Armenian in Springfield?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2020, 01:52:03 PM »
University graduate there apparently learned back lips before front boards and back 180s, because back lips are the first blindside tricks you have to commit to. Very impressive. And before the age of 12. Very very impressive.

Yonnycage

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2020, 02:00:16 PM »
When you drive past your old elementary/middle school to visit your parents and realize what fuckin sick gaps you could’ve hit there when you were 13 but you’re 26 and it’s socially unacceptable to be found hanging around there at 8/9/10pm

SlapRhaters

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2020, 02:08:22 PM »
University graduate there apparently learned back lips before front boards and back 180s, because back lips are the first blindside tricks you have to commit to. Very impressive. And before the age of 12. Very very impressive.

Here goes slap again, you literally have no idea what your talking about, a fs board means FRONT SIDE as in literally FACING the rail as you watch your FRONT foot go over the rail, it also doesn't apply to 180s because if you do a proper 180 you will rotate enough to be facing forward again by the time you land. A back lipslide however requires coming from the BACK SIDE with your BACK foot going over the rail.

Nice try slap has proven to be regular again.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2020, 02:20:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Here goes slap again, you literally have no idea what your talking about, a fs board means FRONT SIDE as in literally FACING the rail as you watch your FRONT foot go over the rail, it also doesn't apply to 180s because if you do a proper 180 you will rotate enough to be facing forward again by the time you land. A back lipslide however requires coming from the BACK SIDE with your BACK foot going over the rail.

Lol wut. Do you not end a back lip looking forward? What kind of weird ass back lip are you doing?

SlapRhaters

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2020, 02:28:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Lol wut. Do you not end a back lip looking forward? What kind of weird ass back lip are you doing?

how can you be so confident in something you know nothing about? Blind side is about how you get INTO a trick and has nothing to do with how you get out, with your logic even a bs board to fakie is now blind side, thanks for the laugh.

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2020, 02:32:24 PM »
Shut the fuck up and focus. You sound like a bitter bitch.

Boo fucking hoo. Nerd.

I’m sure this is your tenth account and it’s just a matter of time before you focus or get banned because you’re obviously insane and take things waaayyy too seriously.

Seek help. We can see your username just lurking this thread.