Author Topic: When do you consider someone a “skateboarder”  (Read 9629 times)

skunty

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 68
Re: When do you consider someone a “skateboarder”
« Reply #120 on: September 21, 2020, 02:33:31 PM »
You have to have bs lipslides on flatbars, at least one kickflip in ledge trick and atleast one stylish switch flip trick.

It may sound random but if you've never experienced the mental battle of committing to bs lipslides then you aren't a skater.

Basically i don't consider 99% of slap to be skaters which is sad considering my low standards.

I focused a few boards and then bent the feet on my flat bar trying to learn lip slides on flat bars then said fuck that trick forever

SlapRhaters

• Rep: -183
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2020, 02:38:20 PM »
Shut the fuck up and focus. You sound like a bitter bitch.

Boo fucking hoo. Nerd.

I’m sure this is your tenth account and it’s just a matter of time before you focus or get banned because you’re obviously insane and take things waaayyy too seriously.

Seek help. We can see your username just lurking this thread.

Username: SlapRhaters
Date Registered: May 31, 2014, 11:35:48 AM

Please tell me more about how this is my 10th account, your guys stupidity continues to amaze me. Besides the mods will never ban me, i don't break rules i just speak the truth.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2020, 02:38:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
University graduate there apparently learned back lips before front boards and back 180s, because back lips are the first blindside tricks you have to commit to. Very impressive. And before the age of 12. Very very impressive.
[close]

Here goes slap again, you literally have no idea what your talking about, a fs board means FRONT SIDE as in literally FACING the rail as you watch your FRONT foot go over the rail, it also doesn't apply to 180s because if you do a proper 180 you will rotate enough to be facing forward again by the time you land. A back lipslide however requires coming from the BACK SIDE with your BACK foot going over the rail.

Nice try slap has proven to be regular again.
[close]
Lol wut. Do you not end a back lip looking forward? What kind of weird ass back lip are you doing?
[close]

how can you be so confident in something you know nothing about? Blind side is about how you get INTO a trick and has nothing to do with how you get out, with your logic even a bs board to fakie is now blind side, thanks for the laugh.
Sir this is word salad and you’re now openly contradicting yourself

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: September 21, 2020, 02:41:56 PM »
Expand Quote

Boo fucking hoo. Nerd.

I’m sure this is your tenth account and it’s just a matter of time before you focus or get banned because you’re obviously insane and take things waaayyy too seriously.

[close]

Username: SlapRhaters
Date Registered: May 31, 2014, 11:35:48 AM

Please tell me more about how this is my 10th account, your guys stupidity continues to amaze me. Besides the mods will never ban me, i don't break rules i just speak the truth.

Oh yea I forgot It’s totally not possible to have more than one account.  ::)

You sound butthurt. Did someone take your lunch money or what?

Let’s get to the bottom of this. Why is baby sad?

SlapRhaters

« Reply #124 on: September 21, 2020, 02:42:02 PM »
Expand Quote
You have to have bs lipslides on flatbars, at least one kickflip in ledge trick and atleast one stylish switch flip trick.

It may sound random but if you've never experienced the mental battle of committing to bs lipslides then you aren't a skater.

Basically i don't consider 99% of slap to be skaters which is sad considering my low standards.
[close]

I focused a few boards and then bent the feet on my flat bar trying to learn lip slides on flat bars then said fuck that trick forever

Don't give up bro, go and do that shit tomorrow if not tonight.

SlapRhaters

« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2020, 02:44:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
University graduate there apparently learned back lips before front boards and back 180s, because back lips are the first blindside tricks you have to commit to. Very impressive. And before the age of 12. Very very impressive.
[close]

Here goes slap again, you literally have no idea what your talking about, a fs board means FRONT SIDE as in literally FACING the rail as you watch your FRONT foot go over the rail, it also doesn't apply to 180s because if you do a proper 180 you will rotate enough to be facing forward again by the time you land. A back lipslide however requires coming from the BACK SIDE with your BACK foot going over the rail.

[close]
Lol wut. Do you not end a back lip looking forward? What kind of weird ass back lip are you doing?
[close]

how can you be so confident in something you know nothing about? Blind side is about how you get INTO a trick and has nothing to do with how you get out, with your logic even a bs board to fakie is now blind side, thanks for the laugh.
[close]
No i'm not, you just don't understand, You get into bs lipslides, you don't get "into" bs 180s. Again how are you so confident about something you know nothing about? A little like i after e except after c .

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »
Currently, SlapRhaters is frantically trying to figure out how to hide his online status.

We seeeeeeeee you.

Just waiting to school us fools.

Great and proper use of your time.

SlapRhaters

« Reply #127 on: September 21, 2020, 02:51:58 PM »
Currently, SlapRhaters is frantically trying to figure out how to hide his online status.

We seeeeeeeee you.

posting about me twice in a row even though i didn't respond, glad to see i live in your head rent free.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #128 on: September 21, 2020, 02:52:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
No i'm not, you just don't understand, You get into bs lipslides, you don't get "into" bs 180s. Again how are you so confident about something you know nothing about?
Mister you said commit to blindside- do you do back 180s without committing to them? You have an interesting way of doing tricks

os89

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #129 on: September 21, 2020, 02:55:17 PM »
Expand Quote

We seeeeeeeee you.

[close]

posting about me twice in a row even though i didn't respond, glad to see i live in your head rent free.

Scroll up nerd. This whole page is your posts. You trying to tell yourself you’re some big shot, “real skater”.

Have fun!

SlapRhaters

« Reply #130 on: September 21, 2020, 03:00:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
No i'm not, you just don't understand, You get into bs lipslides, you don't get "into" bs 180s. Again how are you so confident about something you know nothing about?
[close]
Mister you said commit to blindside- do you do back 180s without committing to them? You have an interesting way of doing tricks

Again bs 180s aren't blind side so your point doesn't make any sense.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #131 on: September 21, 2020, 03:03:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

lol I’m starting to think you’ve never done either one

skunty

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

I feel like I'm the only one reading this who is on your side, and I don't even meet your standards to be called a skater, but BS 180 and FS boardslide are blind side, they are just really easy blind side tricks with minimal risk. BS lipslide is kinda an arbitrary marker, but I get what you're saying about needing to cross some threshold of scaring the shit out of yourself and powering through it to have the heart of a skater. Ultimately only a poser would get mad if someone labels them not a skater, which is really why I love your presence in this thread.

diogenesofkokomo

• Rep: 21
« Reply #133 on: September 21, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »
I only consider someone a skateboarder if they come on slap to talk about doing blindside tricks.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

I feel like I'm the only one reading this who is on your side, and I don't even meet your standards to be called a skater, but BS 180 and FS boardslide are blind side, they are just really easy blind side tricks with minimal risk. BS lipslide is kinda an arbitrary marker, but I get what you're saying about needing to cross some threshold of scaring the shit out of yourself and powering through it to have the heart of a skater. Ultimately only a poser would get mad if someone labels them not a skater, which is really why I love your presence in this thread.
This is actually a very reasonable take and scaring yourself is part of skating if you want it to be. I think that overcoming fear was pretty cool sometimes and I’m proud of certain times when I did. But I’m not about to become Redbull adrenaline junky or suggest you have to be to be a real skater either. I’m just fucking with slaprhaters because it’s an arbitrary line and I think those are dumb. And he’s getting all mad and it’s funny.

skunty

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
This is actually a very reasonable take and scaring yourself is part of skating if you want it to be. I think that overcoming fear was pretty cool sometimes and I’m proud of certain times when I did. But I’m not about to become Redbull adrenaline junky or suggest you have to be to be a real skater either. I’m just fucking with slaprhaters because it’s an arbitrary line and I think those are dumb. And he’s getting all mad and it’s funny.

true it is kinda funny, but its also kinda funny how much hes pissing everyone else off, and since no one acknowledged he had a point i wanted to chime in with support. Plus I really do vibe with his point - reminds me of idiots at the skate park talking to you about tricks they have no clue about and dont actually intend to do what it takes to learn them. I can be that guy sometimes too though to my friends who are much better, but when i think back on those convos i cringe at myself

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

true it is kinda funny, but its also kinda funny how much hes pissing everyone else off, and since no one acknowledged he had a point i wanted to chime in with support. Plus I really do vibe with his point - reminds me of idiots at the skate park talking to you about tricks they have no clue about and dont actually intend to do what it takes to learn them. I can be that guy sometimes too though to my friends who are much better, but when i think back on those convos i cringe at myself

Back in my day hardflips and ollieing a 10 were the benchmarks for not being a poser
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 03:38:11 PM by Atiba Applebum »

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I think back in the day everyone was bullshitting because there was no source to go to that would talk you through doing a trick. Now you can go on YouTube and create a plan to figure it out.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #138 on: September 21, 2020, 03:37:02 PM »
When you realize Heath skating to the Moody Blues in Sight Unseen might be the greatest artistic achievement ever documented in skateboarding

SlapRhaters

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

My problem with calling those tricks blind side is that they are only blind side if you do them in a weird way and it's a slippery slope because technically you can turn any trick into a blind side if you do it weird enough.

Also depends on your definition of blind. To me it's can only be blind if your getting into a grind blind or landing blind, if your blind for a second in the air like a 180 but you land looking forward it's not blind, why? Because if you use the blind in the air for a second as  the requirement that means that every single 360 is now a blind trick even though you land straight  looking forward..

With the fs board, Sure if you want you can get into one and angle completely straight or even more like a hurricane where it is super blind side but that's not textbook, most people who front board will never fully straighten their board resulting in never being blind side and it's a completely legit way of doing it.

Now same with 180s, if you aren't good at them and you land your 180s in a weird fakie position looking backwards fine technically it could be blind side BUT if you do a proper 180 you are landing bolts looking forward.

If you consider them blind side then anything can be, what's stopping some weird fuck from doing a kickflip  but landing in a nollie position looking backwards? that's blind as fuck, doesn't mean kickflips are a blind trick.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2020, 03:42:57 PM »
I know you guys are playing and all but for what that's worth, I've noticed people have gradually been stopping using blindside as a term for what it was since around the mid naughts (?) to instead start using it interchangeably with the term backside, so all the hair getting pulled in this thread is most likely just a generational thing.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

My problem with calling those tricks blind side is that they are only blind side if you do them in a weird way and it's a slippery slope because technically you can turn any trick into a blind side if you do it weird enough.

Also depends on your definition of blind. To me it's can only be blind if your getting into a grind blind or landing blind, if your blind for a second in the air like a 180 but you land looking forward it's not blind, why? Because if you use the blind in the air for a second as  the requirement that means that every single 360 is now a blind trick even though you land straight  looking forward..

With the fs board, Sure if you want you can get into one and angle completely straight or even more like a hurricane where it is super blind side but that's not textbook, most people who front board will never fully straighten their board resulting in never being blind side.

Now same with 180s, if you aren't good at them and you land your 180s in a weird fakie position looking backwards fine technically it could be blind side BUT if you do a proper 180 you are landing bolts looking forward.

If you consider them blind side then anything can be, what's stopping some weird fuck from doing a kickflip  but landing in a nollie position looking backwards? that's blind as fuck, doesn't mean kickflips are a blind trick.
People do back lips that aren’t fully perpendicular to the bar too though. Blindside to me means you spend some amount of time not able to looking at the obstacle or your landing. I back 180 and end looking at my my front foot, ie looking backwards all the time. I’ve been doing them like 30 years and this is the first I’ve heard of that not being proper. Frankly I don’t know if I’ve seen anyone not do it that way and I am being serious. Front boards that go to fakie also are blindside- from the time I get on until after the trick is over I am looking backwards.

I get it - back lips are hard and the commitment is a bit bigger because you have to ollie over the rail. But if you stick on any of these tricks you’re still falling right on you ass which I think is what makes them scary.

Hombreezy

« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2020, 04:08:40 PM »

Boo fucking hoo. Nerd.

Quit feeding the troll. This is the same guy who pulls guns and truck smashes kids for spitting at the park. Also the most insecure poster on slap lol

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #143 on: September 21, 2020, 04:11:27 PM »
it is funny to watch Slap spend pages entertaining SlapRhaters' arbitrary list of compulsory skate moves, when we all know that the only TRUE "skateboarders" are those of us who can roll in on vert...

confirmed fact

SlapRhaters

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

With the fs board, Sure if you want you can get into one and angle completely straight or even more like a hurricane where it is super blind side but that's not textbook, most people who front board will never fully straighten their board resulting in never being blind side.

[close]
People do back lips that aren’t fully perpendicular to the bar too though. Blindside to me means you spend some amount of time not able to looking at the obstacle or your landing. I back 180 and end looking at my my front foot, ie looking backwards all the time. I’ve been doing them like 30 years and this is the first I’ve heard of that not being proper. Frankly I don’t know if I’ve seen anyone not do it that way and I am being serious. Front boards that go to fakie also are blindside- from the time I get on until after the trick is over I am looking backwards.

I get it - back lips are hard and the commitment is a bit bigger because you have to ollie over the rail. But if you stick on any of these tricks you’re still falling right on you ass which I think is what makes them scary.

Yeah they do but that's after learning and mastering them because doing that greatly increases your chance of getting hung up and eating shit compared to landing straight, a person learning bs lips is landing blind side 99% of the time while during a fs board staying angled decreases your chance of hanging up.

"Blindside to me means you spend some amount of time not able to looking at the obstacle or your landing. " with this logic all 180s and all 360s are now blind side, any rotation of any kind on any obstacle is now blind side.

You may 180 that way, I don't and if you watch footage of people doing big 180s you will definitely see them looking forward as they ride away not backwards towards the stairs. I want to put a friendly warning here that the easiest way to hit your head is landing bs 180s looking backwards, especially down drops, look forward stay safe.

Again, if you angle the board completely straight or like a hurricane and go fakie then sure it's blind side but going out fakie isn't what makes it blind side, with that logic bs noseslides to fakie are blind side, bs crook 180s are blind side, basically everything to fakie is now blind side.

Of course if you stick on any trick you can eat shit BUT it's a huge difference in bail out ability when it comes to a front board vs bs lip. Hell with a front board you can just stick your front out and slide it one footed if you get scared, with a back lip that is impossible, it's either fully commit or don't commit. Not to mention going over the rail requires more force and that increases the force when you hit the rail increasing your chance of sticking.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 04:40:48 PM by SlapRhaters »

switchfakie

« Reply #145 on: September 21, 2020, 04:30:00 PM »
gonz on what makes a skateboarder legit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D-v96yQ9_8

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #146 on: September 21, 2020, 04:34:38 PM »
gonz on what makes a skateboarder legit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D-v96yQ9_8

nah, he was patronizing the kids, if genuinely pressed, he'd say that true skateboarding legitimacy comes with properly executed egg plants

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #147 on: September 21, 2020, 04:41:21 PM »
Expand Quote

We seeeeeeeee you.

[close]

That’s kid shit, mortgage free is what adults do.  My gramma needs a roommate I own the house and will gladly let you live RENT free.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #148 on: September 21, 2020, 04:47:12 PM »
@SlapRhaters, to your point about FS boardslides; I’m always (as in ALWAYS) looking over my shoulder to eye an exit, so they’re never actually blindside for me. In that regard, I see what you’re getting at, at least on a personal level.
All the shouting & shaming though...
I take a page from our guy Sizzla’s playbook when it comes to skating, “He who feels it, knows it.”
On the other hand, by that same logic, I still refuse to acknowledge long boarders as skaters, but that’s my own process to work through.
Hypocrisy is a bitch, but I’m sure I don’t have to tell anyone here that.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Sarcasm

• Rep: -9
« Reply #149 on: September 21, 2020, 04:53:30 PM »
When the only people you pay attention to are your homies.