Author Topic: Maryland/D.C.  (Read 328 times)

bea!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 123
Maryland/D.C.
« on: September 21, 2020, 07:18:55 AM »
Are there any residents of Maryland here?

My wife has a possible job opportunity which may bring us there in about 6 months (a town called Rockville), and I’m hoping someone here can give me some advice on the area?

We were told Silver Spring is a cool area, though it seems a little pricey.  I’m hoping to live in a spot that’s got some younger people, cool shops, maybe a record store (or a place to see shows) or a skatepark nearby.  Any advice would be appreciated (pm if you want)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:50:22 AM by bea! »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 172
Re: Maryland
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 10:20:49 AM »
Might want to include D.C. in your title as that area is more in the DC orbit than Baltimore/elsewhere. There are a few parks in that general area but the bigger ones Iím familiar with are a little closer to the I-95 corridor.

shitdick22

• Rep: -9
Re: Maryland
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:30:30 AM »
my girlfriend is from Rockville, they have a weird little skatepark and it's not too far from dc. Silver spring is nice but pricey, a decent amount of spots in bethesda as well as the metro to get you into dc pretty easily. There are some sick parks right outside of the area too (Tacoma, laurel and sunnyside)

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
Re: Maryland/D.C.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 11:41:46 AM »
Mre so DC but, Mt Rainer park is fun, maloof park is still up if you want to skate big stuff. Pulaski if you take the locals pizza.Bunch of stuff in Northern VA too. Some spots in Downtown Bethesda, probably a bust still, haven't skated there in a while.

csb711

• Rep: 4
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »

My wife has a possible job opportunity which may bring us there in about 6 months (a town called Rockville), and Iím hoping someone here can give me some advice on the area?

We were told Silver Spring is a cool area, though it seems a little pricey.  Iím hoping to live in a spot thatís got some younger people, cool shops, maybe a record store (or a place to see shows) or a skatepark nearby.  Any advice would be appreciated (pm if you want)

Silver spring is cool, thereís a downtown area with the most northern metro stop into DC, and also some more residential areas. Neighborhoods around White Oak and Colesville are likely the most affordable in Silver Spring. Thereís a skatepark in pretty much any 20-30 minute direction from silver spring, Rockville used to be my favorite, theyíre planning for some renovations as well.

bea!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 10:49:35 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys. 

We have a 4 year old so there's a lot of things to consider about where we are going to live, and unfortunately with covid there's no way to go see the area first (we have family nearby, though).  I'd love to live near a park but skateboarding isn't going to be too high on the list of priorities. 

The Silver Spring area is weird because the houses are half the cost of where I live (Bay Area), but the rent is almost the same.  I'm hoping they have some cool bars and some good vegan food. 

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 208
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 01:43:44 PM »
Rockville park is getting rebuilt and probably wonít be open  for a while, but your a short metro ride to downtown dc and thatís a playground within itself. You wonít be far from any parks in that area.
Let us know where you choose to move and Iím sure us DMV pals can point you in the right direction

GardenSkater77

• Rep: 85
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »
Any you guys ever skate that elementary school with the asphalt hip and banks all around? Some random skater put me and my friend on to it like 25 years ago. Nice break from the DC metro. I think itís in Bethesda.

I donít know how anyone can afford the DC metro area unless you are part of the swamp.

beavis

• Rep: -1
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 05:16:39 AM »
Any you guys ever skate that elementary school with the asphalt hip and banks all around? Some random skater put me and my friend on to it like 25 years ago. Nice break from the DC metro. I think itís in Bethesda.

I donít know how anyone can afford the DC metro area unless you are part of the swamp.

no where's this? sounds cool... don't make me google street view hunt lol

GardenSkater77

• Rep: 85
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 07:20:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

no where's this? sounds cool... don't make me google street view hunt lol

Wish I could put you on and it may be gone. I can give some clues.

-the night before we stayed at a friendís house in Potomac. The next day we drove a 25-35 mph rd toward the dc metro area for 20-30 min.

-the school May have been a middle school but it was at least 100 years old and in a neighborhood of equal age.

-we parked on a slight tree covered street and the school was in the middle of an old tree covered neighborhood.

-the banks look like the ones from the habitat video that Tim OíConnor ollies the rail of.

If I figure it out I will post the school name.

straight fucking edge

• Rep: -69
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 07:24:56 AM »

My wife has a possible job opportunity which may bring us there in about 6 months (a town called Rockville), and I’m hoping someone here can give me some advice on the area?

We were told Silver Spring is a cool area, though it seems a little pricey.  I’m hoping to live in a spot that’s got some younger people, cool shops, maybe a record store (or a place to see shows) or a skatepark nearby.  Any advice would be appreciated (pm if you want)

i have been in this general area for my whole life and i very much prefer baltimore over DC.  rockville is a big DC suburb (just like silver spring) and anything down there is going to be very congested and expensive
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

wurfnnjs

• Rep: -9
  • hi
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 11:33:44 AM »
Expand Quote

My wife has a possible job opportunity which may bring us there in about 6 months (a town called Rockville), and Iím hoping someone here can give me some advice on the area?

We were told Silver Spring is a cool area, though it seems a little pricey.  Iím hoping to live in a spot thatís got some younger people, cool shops, maybe a record store (or a place to see shows) or a skatepark nearby.  Any advice would be appreciated (pm if you want)
[close]

i have been in this general area for my whole life and i very much prefer baltimore over DC.  rockville is a big DC suburb (just like silver spring) and anything down there is going to be very congested and expensive
Same. You can live it up in bmore for the same price as it is to be lower middle class in dc. More people are moving there because of this, so if you are looking to buy a house in the area, do it now.
Personally, I would suggest Frederick if you are intent on living in the dc area. lower rents than most, and it's got a sick park and shop.
Hip Hop suck my cock, average wank fam wot wot wot.
It goes cock-slot, sloshpot, average wank
I shat my pants at the taxi rank
Flagged a caravan, in the back a plan
Shagged your rancid nan with a shandy can
[

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »
Vu Skateshop is amazing. This is a good place to start out and ask for advice on the local scene.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"that guy is double parked."
"Who cares? there are people starving to death! besides, how does that affect you? does it lessen the joy of parking?

arrbee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 12:37:47 PM »
Vu Skateshop is amazing. This is a good place to start out and ask for advice on the local scene.

If you have a cute dog stop by the hampden Vu while Chris is working, thats his kryptonite. He'll spill all the spots.