Author Topic: Maryland/D.C.  (Read 1424 times)

Glue Reed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
Maryland/D.C.
« on: September 21, 2020, 07:18:55 AM »
Are there any residents of Maryland here?

My wife has a possible job opportunity which may bring us there in about 6 months (a town called Rockville), and I’m hoping someone here can give me some advice on the area?

We were told Silver Spring is a cool area, though it seems a little pricey.  I’m hoping to live in a spot that’s got some younger people, cool shops, maybe a record store (or a place to see shows) or a skatepark nearby.  Any advice would be appreciated (pm if you want)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:50:22 AM by bea! »

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Re: Maryland
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 10:20:49 AM »
Might want to include D.C. in your title as that area is more in the DC orbit than Baltimore/elsewhere. There are a few parks in that general area but the bigger ones I’m familiar with are a little closer to the I-95 corridor.

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
Re: Maryland
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:30:30 AM »
my girlfriend is from Rockville, they have a weird little skatepark and it's not too far from dc. Silver spring is nice but pricey, a decent amount of spots in bethesda as well as the metro to get you into dc pretty easily. There are some sick parks right outside of the area too (Tacoma, laurel and sunnyside)

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
Re: Maryland/D.C.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 11:41:46 AM »
Mre so DC but, Mt Rainer park is fun, maloof park is still up if you want to skate big stuff. Pulaski if you take the locals pizza.Bunch of stuff in Northern VA too. Some spots in Downtown Bethesda, probably a bust still, haven't skated there in a while.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

csb711

• Rep: 2
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 09:30:43 AM »

My wife has a possible job opportunity which may bring us there in about 6 months (a town called Rockville), and I’m hoping someone here can give me some advice on the area?

We were told Silver Spring is a cool area, though it seems a little pricey.  I’m hoping to live in a spot that’s got some younger people, cool shops, maybe a record store (or a place to see shows) or a skatepark nearby.  Any advice would be appreciated (pm if you want)

Silver spring is cool, there’s a downtown area with the most northern metro stop into DC, and also some more residential areas. Neighborhoods around White Oak and Colesville are likely the most affordable in Silver Spring. There’s a skatepark in pretty much any 20-30 minute direction from silver spring, Rockville used to be my favorite, they’re planning for some renovations as well.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 10:49:35 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys. 

We have a 4 year old so there's a lot of things to consider about where we are going to live, and unfortunately with covid there's no way to go see the area first (we have family nearby, though).  I'd love to live near a park but skateboarding isn't going to be too high on the list of priorities. 

The Silver Spring area is weird because the houses are half the cost of where I live (Bay Area), but the rent is almost the same.  I'm hoping they have some cool bars and some good vegan food. 

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 01:43:44 PM »
Rockville park is getting rebuilt and probably won’t be open  for a while, but your a short metro ride to downtown dc and that’s a playground within itself. You won’t be far from any parks in that area.
Let us know where you choose to move and I’m sure us DMV pals can point you in the right direction

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 02:58:48 PM »
Any you guys ever skate that elementary school with the asphalt hip and banks all around? Some random skater put me and my friend on to it like 25 years ago. Nice break from the DC metro. I think it’s in Bethesda.

I don’t know how anyone can afford the DC metro area unless you are part of the swamp.

beavis

• Rep: 3
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 05:16:39 AM »
Any you guys ever skate that elementary school with the asphalt hip and banks all around? Some random skater put me and my friend on to it like 25 years ago. Nice break from the DC metro. I think it’s in Bethesda.

I don’t know how anyone can afford the DC metro area unless you are part of the swamp.

no where's this? sounds cool... don't make me google street view hunt lol

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 07:20:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

no where's this? sounds cool... don't make me google street view hunt lol

Wish I could put you on and it may be gone. I can give some clues.

-the night before we stayed at a friend’s house in Potomac. The next day we drove a 25-35 mph rd toward the dc metro area for 20-30 min.

-the school May have been a middle school but it was at least 100 years old and in a neighborhood of equal age.

-we parked on a slight tree covered street and the school was in the middle of an old tree covered neighborhood.

-the banks look like the ones from the habitat video that Tim O’Connor ollies the rail of.

If I figure it out I will post the school name.

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -168
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 07:24:56 AM »

i have been in this general area for my whole life and i very much prefer baltimore over DC.  rockville is a big DC suburb (just like silver spring) and anything down there is going to be very congested and expensive
i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

wurfnnjs

• Rep: 0
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 11:33:44 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i have been in this general area for my whole life and i very much prefer baltimore over DC.  rockville is a big DC suburb (just like silver spring) and anything down there is going to be very congested and expensive
Same. You can live it up in bmore for the same price as it is to be lower middle class in dc. More people are moving there because of this, so if you are looking to buy a house in the area, do it now.
Personally, I would suggest Frederick if you are intent on living in the dc area. lower rents than most, and it's got a sick park and shop.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »
Vu Skateshop is amazing. This is a good place to start out and ask for advice on the local scene.

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 12:37:47 PM »
Vu Skateshop is amazing. This is a good place to start out and ask for advice on the local scene.

If you have a cute dog stop by the hampden Vu while Chris is working, thats his kryptonite. He'll spill all the spots.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2021, 04:44:21 AM »
Bumping this thread as we have moved... and after a week long RV trip across the country we have finally landed in Rockville. 

Seems like a cool place so far, bigger than I expected... it's pretty goddamn humid and it's not even summer, and what the fuck are carpenter bees!  I haven't had much a chance to explore the area yet.

The new Rockville skatepark is about two blocks from my house..  I could walk there in 5 minutes.  So I'm pretty excited for that.  Looks mostly street oriented but I see a pool, so I will definitely be old guy'in the pool at 7 a.m.  once it's up and running.

If anybody has any good tips on... shit, anything, let me know.  Any good coffee shops, bars/pubs (particularly of the punk rock variety.  I know of a few in DC), places to eat.  Off-the-beaten-path places in Rockville/DC that locals know about? 

Hopefully will be running into some of you guys soon.

beavis

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2021, 05:47:45 AM »
bobs shanghai for some really good dim sum. the strip around there has good food in general.

there's an interesting diy park kinda near you too. pretty crusty but can be fun. look up kensington skatepark. and drive down to powhatan springs skatepark (~30 mins away) on a weekend morning if you want to meet the local oldguy bowl skater crew lol

Eggie Vedder

• Rep: 32
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2021, 06:36:26 AM »
Vu is definitely the coolest shop. If you want to skate some bowls it’s worth checking out Greenbelt park, Arlington Park, Bowie, and GSL.

Black Cat is a cool music venue with good vegan food options. The Malcom X fountain spot is down the street too which is always a fun spot. There used to be a good record store on the same block but I don’t know if it’s still there.

If you ever take a day trip to Annapolis, there is a cool record shop called Ka-Chunk which is worth checking out.

Assateague island is also kind of cool if you want to go to the beach. There’s wild horses that hang around on the beach. Just north in Ocean City there is a pretty fun park called Ocean Bowl.

Youoverthere

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2021, 06:39:19 AM »
Vu is definitely the coolest shop. If you want to skate some bowls it’s worth checking out Greenbelt park, Arlington Park, Bowie, and GSL.

Black Cat is a cool music venue with good vegan food options. The Malcom X fountain spot is down the street too which is always a fun spot. There used to be a good record store on the same block but I don’t know if it’s still there.

If you ever take a day trip to Annapolis, there is a cool record shop called Ka-Chunk which is worth checking out.

Assateague island is also kind of cool if you want to go to the beach. There’s wild horses that hang around on the beach. Just north in Ocean City there is a pretty fun park called Ocean Bowl.
just go to ocean pines skatepark. It’s a better set up and ocean bowl cost money.
We’re also trying to move back but I wanna settle around DE/MD line. Like around Newark and Wilmington.
Op if you’re in Naptown you gotta check out truxton skatepark.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

YungJugg

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2021, 08:43:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
just go to ocean pines skatepark. It’s a better set up and ocean bowl cost money.
We’re also trying to move back but I wanna settle around DE/MD line. Like around Newark and Wilmington.
Op if you’re in Naptown you gotta check out truxton skatepark.

Burley Oak is only a 10 minute drive from Ocean Pines, good beers.

beavis

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2021, 07:41:17 AM »
new rockville park open now. anyone been? might check it out this weekend

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2021, 11:51:09 AM »
new rockville park open now. anyone been? might check it out this weekend

Went to check it out a few weeks ago before it opened. Park is gated and they're gonna enforce helmets at the door. Looks super fun tho.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2021, 05:46:40 PM »
Looks like a fun park, but the gates don’t open till noon during the week (I think 10 on weekends), and that pretty much ruins it for me.  Helmets with an attendant on site… looks like the type of place the cops would swarm if you hopped the fence.

Doesn’t seem to get super crowded though, so some day I’ll make it there.  Maybe once the cicadas go away

beavis

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »
ya even on weekends there are restricted hours like 10-noon is families or bmx only time. theyre also gonna require a member card or something in the future. wonder if they'll rethink any of that....

i went and it was fun enough. i dont really mind the helmet rule.  but even when not super crowded there were a lot of scooters and little dudes going the wrong way across the park.

InternetDaddy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
  • sup breh
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2021, 06:49:27 PM »
Bumping this thread as we have moved... and after a week long RV trip across the country we have finally landed in Rockville. 

Seems like a cool place so far, bigger than I expected... it's pretty goddamn humid and it's not even summer, and what the fuck are carpenter bees!  I haven't had much a chance to explore the area yet.

The new Rockville skatepark is about two blocks from my house..  I could walk there in 5 minutes.  So I'm pretty excited for that.  Looks mostly street oriented but I see a pool, so I will definitely be old guy'in the pool at 7 a.m.  once it's up and running.

If anybody has any good tips on... shit, anything, let me know.  Any good coffee shops, bars/pubs (particularly of the punk rock variety.  I know of a few in DC), places to eat.  Off-the-beaten-path places in Rockville/DC that locals know about? 

Just off the top of my head for punk-ish bars in DC: Solly's, The Pug, and Trusty's are all on the divey side with some punks who work/frequent there. Trusty's is my favorite but all three are solid. Also Ottobar in Baltimore since they actually have shows there.
Look I'm not selling anything that doesn't have my jizz on it. I don't care how much is offered.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2021, 06:04:24 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just off the top of my head for punk-ish bars in DC: Solly's, The Pug, and Trusty's are all on the divey side with some punks who work/frequent there. Trusty's is my favorite but all three are solid. Also Ottobar in Baltimore since they actually have shows there.

Thanks for this!  I have been itching to go to a cool bar (it’s been awhile, for obvious reasons) and I need to make some friends, somehow.

I checked out this really cool record shop called Dig, in Leesburg, VA… seems like a pretty cool town. Lots of places to eat and drink (A LOT of places to drink… seems like there’s a brewery on every corner).

One more thing about the Rockville park… yeah fuck that place.  They don’t let you in on the BMX time even though there’s like 2 people in there, and after summer they won’t start opening the gates till 3 pm.  Why the city would pay a ton of money to build a park and have it sit there empty for half the day is beyond me… but it’s clearly meant to be an after school daycare.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2021, 08:57:04 AM »
I’m supposed to head down to DC this weekend to skate with one of my buddies down there.  It looks like it might rain for some of Friday and Saturday.  Are there any good covered spots in the area for when it’s wet out that aren't a complete bust?  I’ve been to the DIY park under the highway by Whole Foods but don’t know anything beyond that.  Thanks in advance!

beavis

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2021, 04:45:27 AM »
idk the last time you saw the whole foods spot but a bunch of it got torn down. iirc now there's a quarter, rail, and little box there. if it's raining hard itll get wet too :(

if youre driving and willing to go 20 mins outside the city there's an out use covered parking lot here with a small 2 set, metal bench, and some crusty asphalt humps / wallride https://www.google.com/maps/place/3120+Juniper+Ln,+Falls+Church,+VA+22044/@38.8656489,-77.1527223,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b7b4865f515c89:0xfce45fd6c9b0da84!8m2!3d38.8656488!4d-77.1521738

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 676
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2021, 02:05:15 PM »
idk the last time you saw the whole foods spot but a bunch of it got torn down. iirc now there's a quarter, rail, and little box there. if it's raining hard itll get wet too :(

if youre driving and willing to go 20 mins outside the city there's an out use covered parking lot here with a small 2 set, metal bench, and some crusty asphalt humps / wallride https://www.google.com/maps/place/3120+Juniper+Ln,+Falls+Church,+VA+22044/@38.8656489,-77.1527223,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x89b7b4865f515c89:0xfce45fd6c9b0da84!8m2!3d38.8656488!4d-77.1521738

Thanks for the info! Yeah last time we were there it was just those four or five things left at the DIY park.  That little box is fun to mess around on though.  We ended up skating there for a while this morning then going to that park up by Columbia Heights - not a huge fan of that one.   My friend lives in Southwest - we skated some yellow curbs and cool manual pads around there last night.  Might check out that spot in Virginia tomorrow…